LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » please help with sleep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help with sleep
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AGGGGHHHHH!!!! I have been dealing with sleep issues for weeks now. I fall asleep for 2-3 hours and then wake every hour after that for the rest of the night.

I go to bed around 9pm and wake for good usually around 5:30 am. I end up getting a total of about 6-8 hours but a lot of it is interrupted sleep. I am beside myself.

My doc gave me AMbien- tried it last night - it did nothing. This was after trying melatonin, 5HTP, & Taurine at her suggestion. I also can't sleep during the day. Any miracle cures out there?

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What melatonin dosage and formulation did you try? I use a 2mg timed-release from Source Naturals that has worked well for me.

I think they have stronger amounts if you wanted more than 2mg, but I think the timed-release aspect is important. With regular melatonin I would wake up around 3AM and have trouble going back. Now I sleep much better.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I was using the timed-release. I guess there is a certain point at which if you take too high a dose it will make you wired.

I have liquid my doc had me take and it seemed to help some but now....I don't know what the heck is going on.

I may just have to resort to benadryl throughout the night but that has its negatives too obviously. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayYesh
Member # 8343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayYesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wenan:

My LLMD prescribed Flexeril (muscle relaxer) for me, as she found that this helps her patients with sleep, as well as tone down the muscle spasms. It has worked for the most part, wonderfully. There have been a few times I have trouble but this is usually around more stressful times. If I take a whole tablet, I'm too sleepy the next day, so I have been doing pretty good on 1/2. I am more sensitive to medication, in general, anyway.

Good luck - I know how crummy sleeplessness can be. I have now made it one of my priorities to sleep, so my body can do what it needs to do. I get anywhere from 7 - 9 hours, depending on what I have to do the next day. If I do wake up, I can go back to sleep fairly easily.

Kelly

Posts: 90 | From New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...just try this and see what happens, and get back to me.

I had my first good night's sleep in years last night. I believe light aggravates all of us Lymies when it's on our skin. In my case, as I posted previously, it's severe.

Buy some black bristol board, and tape it on your bedroom windows, so that NO LIGHT penetrates the room. See how you guys do; I'm very interested.

Best,

canbravelyme.

[ 08. February 2007, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: canbravelyme ]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wenan:
I guess there is a certain point at which if you take too high a dose it will make you wired.

yes, it can.

What other meds are you on?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95672 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes and it is cheap ! Trazadone is VERY effective- usually at 25 to 50 mg . I take 50
and I have no drowsiness hangover . It is an antidepressant , but to get the AD effects , you would usually need to take it at a high dose , more like 100- 200 mg.

Even at 50 mg , it seems tp lighten anxiety too.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celestial Season's has a new "sleepie Time" tea out-extra strength formula with valarin root in it.

tried it last night. I had a mild to moderate sleepie effect... Must check with your doc on this teas first because the herb-valarin root-can interact with other meds

Blessings [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trazadone has helped my daughter sleep when nothing else will.
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trazadone is a benzo, I believe and most are pretty effective with sleep issues. I take two different benzos - Ativan late evening and then Xanax when (not if) I wake up at night. I also take the Source Naturals Melatonin timed release.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trazodone is not a benzo it is a weak antidepressant.

I didn't have any success with trazodone, benzos, melatonin, valerian, etc etc.

-catwoman

Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do NOT believe trazadone is addictive NOR a
benzodiazepine . It has been a GREAT safe sleep aid for MANY YEARS . I know lots of others
who thinks it works great .

I have had NO weight gain or side effects and some FM patients report less pain after taking it a while.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take trazodone. It works pretty well. I used to take all kinds of things to sleep. Now, most of the time I take traz and melatonin....occasionally Ambien.

I agree....Source Naturals timed release is awesome!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95672 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I have moved on the pharmaceuticals for sleep, here is what has helped me for periods of time.

Tranquilnite by New Chapter (herbs which promote the body's own production of GABA as opposed to most pharms which mess with the regulation of GABA in the brain)

Magnesium glycinate by Pure Encapsulations

Calcium glycinate (my local store's own brand)

5HTP

After low dose Amitriptyline kicked up (pun intended) my restless legs, I tried Trazadone which didn't agree with me. Rozerem gave me awful lyme rage the next day as did the benies.

Now I use 100 mg Lyrica (really great for stage 4 sleep) with 350 mg SOMA (in generic form) along with magnesium, calcium, 50 mg 5HTP, 2 Tranquilnite. I consistently go to sleep and stay asleep. Unfortunately the Lyrica has caused me to gain weight so I'm exploring other pharm options. If they don't work, I'll just deal with the weight gain because stage 4 sleep is so important. I didn't know what I'd lost until I got it back.

Good luck!
D

Posts: 261 | From San Mateo, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement