LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lack of motivation...depression?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lack of motivation...depression?
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going through a divorce right now. For the last several months I have no motivation to do anything.

I've become more of a procastinator than I used to be..if that's possible. I'm going through some major stress/changes in my life.

Lyme seems to be acting up more latelyt. I was doing fairly well but feel like my adrenals are crashing.

I've heard horror stories of taking antidepressents. The first thing that comes to mind is B vitamins and Sam-E. Those are the only ones that ring a bell.

Thoughts?

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikken
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get yourself a nice quality fish oil (omega 3) supplement and take it! Omega 3's do wonders for some forms of depression!

Also evaluate yourself for yeast - the yeastie beasties can really bring your head down and they like to flare when you're stressed (opportunistic little *******s that they are). If you're not taking probiotics (and whatever else works for you and yeast), do so.

Above all, remember that you can get through this!
[Smile]

Posts: 369 | From Ohio | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zoloft and prozac are both generic and help a bunch . I know a whole lot of others like myself who think they are life savers . I am not implying that these meds are perfect for everyone , but no one I know has had a horrible experience .

It sounds like your depression is mild , and a low dose would probably work wonders .

I also take fish oil , Carlson's lemon flaovored in a glass of juice. I get by with a low dose of meds .

Others have reported success with :
5HTP
St John's wort
SAM E
Rhodiola

I doubt they would work for me , but they do for some !

I also went thru a divorce when I was first sick . You are living a nightmare . Take care of yourself !
annxyz

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. I do take fish oils from Nordic Naturals..seems to help. In a few weeks, I see my PCP and will probable mention this.

I prefer not to take any thing else if I don't have to but sometimes it's a necessity. I definitely need to keep working to make a living and pay my bills.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found that the Lyme is what makes me feel unmotivated. It's like my brain is a computer and the LYme has erased most of the hard drive. Just blank humming instead of processing going on, with periods of spacing out.

I have been on antidepressants for a while due to post-partum depression and a family history of depression. The way I felt when I was depressed wasn't the same -- it wasn't the blankness or apathy. When the Lyme improved and I felt better overall (more energetic, less joint pain, etc.) the apathy lifted too.

Just my experience, FWIW.
C

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Thank you CS. Lyme is so systemic who knows what comes first the chikcen or the egg if you know what I mean.
Karenelee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karenelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi snowboarder,

I've lived with depression for years -- well-managed with medications.

I feel a qualitative difference between lyme malaise and the malaise of depression.

Malaise in depression (for me) feels linked to hopelessness and nattering nabobs of negativity in my nogin.

Lyme malaise feels like a sleeping sickness -- a lack of physical and mental energy.

On the fish oil: the studies I read some years ago found it to be therapuetic for depression dosed at 9 grams daily (which is a lot) and the theoretical time line for effectiveness is weeks or months rather than days, so if you are going to take it, stick with it. AND you must be sure to obtain a very pure oil, as otherwise you could be adding mercury and other toxins to your system that won't help.

As for antidepressants, they can be helpful, and the basic rule is that they have different effects on different people. Some get the magic bullet effect on the first try, some have to try several before they get the right "one."

Good-luck,

the napper

Posts: 112 | From RI | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will pass, and I wish you the best. Wish I could be more help.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snowboarder, check out a book called the Mood Cure. It is a great resource. She actually is not a huge fan of SamE - she does say it works for some people but is not her first choice.

My experience has been (and it showed on my neurotransmitter testing results) that the lyme has really had a field day with my seratonin, dopamine, norep, and epin.

Her suggestions have been a great help and I find that the combo ones help best ie: gaba, lithium, 5HTP, L-theanine, rather than 5HTP all by itself for example.

You also may want to get a thyroid test if you haven't already had one. Hang in there. What a tough thing to be dealing with while you are dealing with the lyme.

p.s. I'm no doctor, this is just what has helped me. Peace

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] snowboarder [group hug]

Been through the dirvorse thing-it's brutal. Sorry to hear you have to go threw it. But in time life will be good again. Mine is but a breif memory now, but at the time very painful & stressfull.

I have taken St. Johns Wart in the past for mild to moderate depression. Very little side effects for me. But it does interact with some rx's & stuff so make sure to talk it over with your doc first.

I personally would stay away from the SSIR's. Heard some bad things about them.

Hang in there [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement