LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » T for ticks, T for Tennessee- You've got Lone stari

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: T for ticks, T for Tennessee- You've got Lone stari
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look out Tennessee... you've got Lone stari.

Just like Lyme..

But normal Lyme tests can't pick up this strain!!!

[Eek!]

````````````````````````````````````````````````

J Med Entomol. 2003 Jan ;40 (1):100-2 12597661 [Cited: 4]

Detection of Borrelia lonestari in Amblyomma americanum (Acari: Ixodidae) from Tennessee.

T Stegall-Faulk , D C Clark , S M Wright

Genetic sequences characteristic of Borrelia lonestari (Barbour et al. 1996) were detected in two pools of adult Amblyomma americanum (L.) from Tennessee, corresponding to an estimated minimum field infection rate of 8.4 infected ticks/1000 adults.

DNA amplification was conducted using primers derived from the B. lonestari flagellin gene that would also amplify Borrelia burgdorferi (Johnson, Schmid, Hyde, Steigerwalt, and Brenner).

Species-specific, internal probes were then used to differentiate between genetic sequences of the spirochetes.

Subsequent nucleotide sequencing confirmed the presence of B. lonestari in A. americanum; B. burgdorferi was not detected.

This represents the first report of B. lonestari from Tennessee, and suggests that Lyme-like illness may occur in Tennessee.

Mesh-terms: Animals; Base Sequence; Borrelia, genetics; Borrelia, isolation & purification; DNA Primers; Electrophoresis, Agar Gel, methods; Ixodidae, microbiology; Molecular Sequence Data; Polymerase Chain Reaction; Tennessee;

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20325 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 7 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tinny,

You talkin' to ME? I've always KNOWN that Tennessee was perty special.....might as well have the Lone Star....except they'll have to start calling it the Volunteer.

I brought this up with Dr. J a few months ago. He said it was probable. Don't think IgeneX tested for it though. How would I know?

Good to see ya hangin' out here.

Love and hugs,
Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yepper.. I was looking directly for YOU! Nice to see you!!!

By the way... I need to talk to you. Got some time?

If so.. email me... when and where.

[email protected]

Tell Dr. J... Tincup said...

GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

HA!

And I know Igexex tests for several strains but off the top of my fat head.. I can't remember if one of them WAS Stari? Duh me. I should know!!!

I'll TRY to remember.. and let you know... but a quick call to their toll free number would answer you best.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20325 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MDL Test #430 -- B. Lonestari

Think this has only been available for a year or so -- don't think anyone has posted that they tested positive on this test.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bea.. good info. My brain wouldn't work.

I wonder who tests people.. and how many cases have been found and where? Just curious.

The CDC was asking for "guinea pigs" a few years back.. but never heard of results.

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seibertneurolyme:
MDL Test #430 -- B. Lonestari

Think this has only been available for a year or so -- don't think anyone has posted that they tested positive on this test.

Bea Seibert

Keep in mind that is a PCR test. From what I've read, PCR tests aren't really good at detecting late Lyme. Because the Lyme lives in deep tissue. So, it isn't in the blood much, or in detectible levels.

I live in Tennessee and tested negative for Lyme via ELISA and Western Blot (I just had the 41k band). But I did test positive for Lyme via C6 Peptide.

If I do have the B. Lonestari strain, than this could explain my above testing results.

Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, What is the B. Lonestari strain?

btw, I am from Alabama. Where in TN ya'll from? I live in north west AL. About 10 minutes from the state line.

Thanks!

--------------------
Jesus sweated blood over the task that lay before Him.He could have escaped his brutal execution at anytime,but he didn't he stayed there for you.

God bless,Christi

Posts: 306 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree.......we need to call ours Volunteeritis!
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed! ...and my strain from GA would be Peachesia or Peachanella?

--------------------
Bill

**Question everything...it may save your life!!!**

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement