LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My Pregnancy ended

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Pregnancy ended
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been here in a while because I have been going through a hard time. I just thought I would update you because I know that we wonder about Lyme and pregnancy...

I miscarried and knew that I was going to at about 2 months. I had to wait until three months to miscarry, and I did last weekend.

My doctors assured me that none of the medications that I was on did it, and some feel it is my age (39). I do not know how much the Lyme or bart contributed to it, but I feel positive that Lyme patients can have healthy and fine pregnancies from having researched and spoken with my LLMDs etc... and I might not write it off completely for me, but I am not sure. I know of many other people without Lyme that miscarried recently, my age and younger, so I do not feel so much that the Lyme was to blame.

Overall, though, I felt fine while pregnant, and even better than ever in many ways. I am not really worried about how any future pregnancy will make me feel - as long as I am on the correct abx throughout.

My only regret is that I had been taking 1/2 mg of klonopin when I got pregnant and then I rapidly tapered and went through much anxiety / insomnia withdrawal. If I were to do it again I would make sure that I was off the klonopin because of the possible cleft palate birth defects (even though that is very controversial and does not really seem to be an issue now that I see things more clearly) - but I would not want to be on something with even the remote chance of birth defects. But I read so many people's experiences of having perfectly healthy babies while being on klonopin through most of the pregnancy, and then the one pregnancy where the docs insisted that they get off of it and they rapidly withdrew, they ended up miscarrying. If I were to blame anything besides my age, I would blame that. One of my docs was insistent that I get off of it immediately. That stressed me out, despite other doctors saying to the contrary.

Anyway, I do not know if it is appropriate to post this here, but I felt funny coming back on to talk when I am sure that people would scratch their heads and say "hmmm I thought she was pregnant".

So, anyway, that is my experience. I hope it does not discourage anybody and maybe can help. I know we are all different and will have different experiences, but I wanted to share anyway.

Posts: 584 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you poor thing. I'm so sorry this happened to you and your loved ones. [Frown]

Who knows why? We never know the answer. And I think, as you said, these things happen no matter what the circumstances.

Please don't blame yourself. I just wanted to say I'm sad for you but you are strong and will prevail..... I can see it in your post.

God bless.

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry you're going through this! I wish I could say something to make it better! Just know that we are all here to support you.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry for your loss.

I too miscarried one pregnancy at 7-8 weeks.....it was devestating.

That was pre-Lyme for me..

Keeping you and your Angel in my prayers.

We are here for you....

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi luvdogs,

I am so sorry about your miscarriage.

I agree with you totally that these things happen to healthy women too and probably had nothing to do with your illness or your meds. You have to trust your doctors there.

39 isn't old for having babies these days. Several women in our families have them older than that. My niece is 47 and just gave birth to her 5th child. Whew!

I'm glad you shared with us as I believe that is good for you to do. It sounds like you are determined to move forward and may try again later. Good for you!!

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LuvsDogs,

I am sooooo very sorry. I had been thinking of you! You are in my thoughts.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so very so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Hugs,
Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 804 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May your little angel smile in God's hands and may you know this is so.
Posts: 9402 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvdogs, I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there and know the pain first hand. And remember the stupid comments. Many really do not know what to say and come up with something they think is cute because it is a nervous topic. Forgive them..

But remember that you probably did nothing wrong. It is often for a reason that no one will ever understand. In my situation, the baby and I had hormonal conflicts. The Dr said this can occur at 2 months. The dr told me that she thought it was a boy. So I always wonder how he would have turned out.

When I was starting to have symptoms of a second miscarriage at 2 months with the next child,l was lucky enough to have a high risk Dr step in and save the baby. I was high risk for the entire time and had to stop working. I was a phys. ed teacher and they would not let me do anything and later I was on bed rest. I also had to take progesterone. It worked. I gave birth to a beautiful little girl that is now 20. She is my lymie but so grateful she made it.

I was almost 36 when she was born, so try to not worry about the age issue.

Good luck and do not forget. Remember with some momentos, or plant a tree or shrub in memory of what should have been. hugs. lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry, luvs! I pray your angel is smiling down at you.

We HAVE missed you as well!

Don't give up! [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95208 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you guys so much. I have been afraid to post but knew I had to eventually. I appreciate everybody's support so much, and I know that many many have been through similar. You guys were all there from the beginnng when I was panicking about the meds I was on and couldn't get info from docs etc... and I got so much peace of mind just from this board.

Anyway, I hope that people have learned from my experience and know that the best thing that we can do if we get pregnant is just to stay calm, not stress about the meds too much, just find the most balanced and conclusive answers that we can, and then relax and have faith. I stressed too much, and if it happens again I will have more knowledge and try to stay calm and relaxed, and listen to only the docs who are supportive and not fear instilling - as a friend told me when I was stressing during the pregnancy " Fear and stress is just another pill for the baby to take, and probably the worst one".

Thanks again everybody!
S.

Posts: 584 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking about you and hoping you are feeling OK physically and mentally.

Please E-Mail me when you feel better.

[group hug]

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry too for your loss.

In my 20's I had around 10 miscarriages - I know, its a lot!

I do think I had lyme at the time but only had a sore neck and heart palpitations which doctors said wasn't anything (of course).

Anyway, I found a doctor who immediately discovered that I had endometriosis and fibroid cysts. He did the surgery, put me on Clomid and Pergonal (not sure on spelling) and did a sonogram which showed I had two very ripe eggs.

I was 33 at the time. He told me I could very well have twins. Today I have 20 year old boy/girl twins! Also, because I was a high risk pregnancy with all the miscarriages and having twins, he sewed up my uterus at 3 months.

At 24 weeks I did have contractions so I went on bed rest for awhile and was thankful for the stitches (Cerclage).

I don't know if lyme played a part in the miscarriages, but I do wonder if the endometriosis and cysts were caused by lyme.

Don't give up ~ also, give yourself time to grieve. Sometimes even husbands don't understand what we go through because they don't go through the hormone changes.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry to hear this. Take care of you. Lots of good thoughts going your way.

Take care.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvdogs,

so sorry about your miscarriage. i too, miscarried at 7 months- pre lyme. feels aweful to go through this- God will take care of the little one for you !

The government age for child bearing is up to 55 years of years - so don't let any one pick on you !!

take care and get well

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvs, I too am so sorry about your loss. Sometimes we can drive ourselves crazy wanting to know the whys of our life journey.

Take care, Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6422 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] Luvs [group hug]

I am so very sorry for your loss [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarahL
Member # 11452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarahL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I've had two m/c myself, both in the three years after one very rough pg (my son is now diagnosed autistic and years behind his peers in social and speech areas).

At the time I knew nothing about Lyme and wondered if I'd done something wrong.

Now I believe ld was responsible. Following the crazy line of medical complaints and doc visits over the last 7 years or so, everything seems to be related to lyme. I know in my heart that it was responsible for my m/cs as well.

Please remember to be very kind to yourself right now. Whether you had time to "prepare" or no, it is the most profound loss I think we can ever feel. Don't forget to let yourself rest, love and give yourself time.

You don't know me (I'm very very new here), but I hope you'll accept my sympathy, empathy and prayers for healing.

All my best,
Sarah

Posts: 91 | From East TN | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words don't cover the grief, but it, and my prayers, are what I have to give. [group hug] I pray that it was not the Lyme and not your young age of 39. Blessings to you and your family.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 392 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had a miscarriage, possibly due to undiagnosed lyme, at about 37. That baby was as real to me as my other two, and the loss was tremendous. I know the experience can be different for everybody. I am sorry for your loss, however it feels to you.

I found it especially hard because people either didn't want to talk about it, or just told me I could have another. It was hard to grieve alone. I'm glad you have lymenet friends, and hope you have others who are understanding.

I subsequently had another baby who is four years old now. I had to go on progesterone to stay pregnant and to get her here. She's a little sunshine!

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvdogs-I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. But I am glad you posted.
Sadly , having Lyme doesn't make us immune to other heartaches.

One of the books I am currently reading is "A Broken Heart Still Beats" to help me in my own grief. Our local chapter of Compassionate Friends has been a good resource for me. The website is www.baltimoretcf.com.

Perhaps, if you feel the need, there is some local support for you. I also benefited from attending a ten week series at a nearby church called "GriefShare" Google it if interested.

May 19th I hope to attend a conference of Hope and Healing in Annapolis, entitled "Into the Valley and Out Again" Keynote Speaker Richard Dew, M.D.

Again- thank you for the courage to share.
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry you went through this. I had a similar experience. With my third child, I went in for my 20 week gestation appointment, and found that the baby did not have working kidneys.

To make a very long and sad story short, we waited three months for the "loss." She went to 35 weeks gestation and then died in the birth canal.

I did get to hold her for two hours.

AT the time, my lyme was not diagnosed and I was in very bad shape. Years later after diagnosis, I did learn that gestational lyme can harm can cause baby to have cystic kidneys, which is what my child had.

The good part of this story is that, without a diagnosis yet, I managed to guard my health to the point of feeling pretty strong a year later. We decided to try again, and we carried with no problem and I had a healthy baby girl, my fourth. (three still living because the 3rd was stillborn.)

So yes, don't give up on this if you feel you might be able to try again. Just take good care of you, and go for it, that is, if you can handle either outcome.

I was diagnosed with lyme 3 years after my fourth was born, and had been reinfected twice at that point in Danbury Connecticut. My children also got infected in Connecticut, and my husband.

But I do know the pain of waiting for the death to happen, as you mentioned you did. I know how terrifying that is, and then the relief afterwards, and then the grieving. If you need to talk with someone, please PM me anytime and will be glad to listen for as long as you need.

Mary

Posts: 1010 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O.K. I am posting back to back. I tend to be long winded.

You are not too old to have a baby. The more important issue is how good you feel, and your partner.

I read a book lent to me after my experience, and it was called "A Little Death."

It is a woman recollecting her death of a child. I did not EVER read that part becuase I just could not do any extra crying.

I did read the majority of the book that is in a question/answer format. It addresses issues of the Christian who is questioning God's purpose, where is my child now, and so forth.

I found it very, very helpful and referred to it at many tender moments alone.

Years later, someone who knew I went through this had a relative going through it and asked me for the book. I lent it to her and never saw it again. So I can't give you reference material.

But it was written by a Christian woman who travels to large Churches to lecture.

I'll try to find a link to it and get back to you.

Biggest Hugs.

Mary

Posts: 1010 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

O.K. I did a little searching and the book I am talking about, "A Little Death" appears to be written by Mary Jane Creel, and is out of print. The author does comment on amazon.com that she would like to bring it back into print at some time. I'm sorry, but keep an eye out for it, and I'm sure that it will always be good food for the soul, no matter when you are able to view it.

Mary

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Sometimes this can be good though, as either you or the baby was not strong enough to carry it through.

Hope things go better for you if you try again. [Smile]

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very sorry for your loss. I suffered through several years of infertility treatments, including a miscarriage, and I wish you the best. These are extremely difficult times so try to take very good care of yourself. Lots of treats and lots of hugs.

Carol

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sad. I'm sorry for your loss.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh luvdogs --

I had my first miscarriage at 38; second pregnancy became healthy baby and I was 39 -- my first son is now 9.

I had my second miscarriage at 42; fourth pregnancy became healthy baby and I was 43 -- my second son is now five.

Don't listen too hard to numbers and statistics. Go for it when and if you're ready and don't expect to NOT be anxious after what you have been going through...

I only enjoyed my pregnancies after the first 7 months. Up until then, I was a nervous wreck.

Nerves aside, I have been blessed. Your angels are watching over you too.

[group hug]

Prayers and hugs with salty tears and love,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Thanks everybody again, so much, for your input and for sharing your experiences. I can't believe what people have been through! But there are so many inspiring stories as well. I am so glad that i shared my experience, for my sake and for others who can read this, This is hope and there is also the knowledge that we are not alone, and that this group is such a wonderful support.

I am sorry for everybody's experiences, but I think that we also learn so much from them, and the outcome is not always horrible. So many have gone on to have healthy experiences afterwards, and even if not, the learning is invaluable. Even if I cannot go on to have a child, this has been an incredible wake-up call for me on so many levels and in many ways I feel like I am born again. It has made me re-evaluate everything and sort of start my life over. Although I am still in the midst of confusion and sorrow, I feel more hope than I have in a long time.

I hope that others can come through an experience like this and feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you again everybody. That's all I can say for now.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement