LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Calling all chronic insomniacs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all chronic insomniacs
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am hoping to hear from other people with treatment resistant insomnia. I've tried so many things and nothing's worked. I'm wondering if the people who have the worst insomnia are the ones with the most co-infections?

Do you have co-infections? Did you insomnia improve with treatment? I'm just wondering. Been on babesia treatment since November and Bicillin injections since September but my insomnia isn't improving at all. I've made very little progress so far (a little improvement in fatigue but that's it so far).

I've got Lyme, babesia and bartonella.

~catwoman

Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonwithlyme
Member # 10942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonwithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is 11 years old, diagnosed with Lyme in August 2005, diagnosed with Bartonella in Feb, 2006, current treatment is minocyline, rifampin and biaxin. Trouble getting to sleep then wakes up all through the night. Doctor gave him naproxen to help with the pain in hopes he could sleep through the night, has not helped.

--------------------
Robin
www.caringbridge.org/visit/dustineckert

Posts: 76 | From Carlisle Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a chronic insomniac! [dizzy] I have tried alot of natural things and they dont seem to help. I am taking seroquel 25mg and it helps me if I take it about 30min to an hour before bed. I was having to take 50mg now at 25mg so I guess it has improved some. When I am herxing, I can just flat out forget about getting sleep. IMPOSSIBLE! Things that help for rest that have shown a little benefit for me is things like Magnesium supplementation, L-tyrptophan, staying away from any form of sugar before bed including fruits and fruit juices. Hope that helps some...

I got sick with lyme around the same time your son got sick, not very fun being sick through your kid years [shake]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanax seems to be the only thing that helps me with insomnia.

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monkeyshines
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkeyshines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I have coinfections; I test negative, and I don't think I have any symptoms that could not be attributed to lyme.

I finally just started getting close to a decent nights sleep after starting IV rocphin 4 g daily, 7 days a week. The only other thing that changed in the same timeframe is that I stopped working full-time for the first time since I became ill.

So, not sure if it's Rocephin, or not having the stress of getting up to an alarm clock and dragging myself to work sick and tired, or both.

Before this I had tried many things: Ambien and Soma, Klonopin, homeopathic treatments, guided imagery, magnesium, melatonin, and others I can't think of. Until I started sleeping better recently (sometimes up to 7 hours a night!), I was getting 3-4 hours. My problem was staying asleep, not falling asleep.

monkeyshines

Posts: 343 | From Northern VA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatWoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for answering. For various reasons I am not willing to take antipsychotics. And I've had no luck with Xanax or the other things mentioned.

~catwoman

Posts: 255 | From where we don't have Lyme disease | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can go to sleep okay, but then wake up during the night, check the biological clock I posted a number of times.

If you wake up between 1 - 3 AM - your liver has a problem working through the toxin material. Start supporting the organs as necessary. That's the time the liver is trying to dump! You have to help it, especially if you are on a number of pharma drugs.

Same if you have problems 11 PM to 1 AM -- gallbladder is doing its major work or is trying to do it - support it - and you will start being able to sleep.

Take care.

Liver support: Artichoke, Cholenest, Dandelion, Betasitosterol, 117 Sterol, Liverlife, Livit 1 and Livit 2 is great; every day detox tea for both kidney and liver (to flush kidney and liver). Castor oil packs. There are plenty more if you start reading.

Also include some of the mop-up agents I have been posting. You are releasing dead material and heavy metals (because they are partners to the microbes) and the will keep moving through the system unless you show them the way out with some of the above agents.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

Thanks. My problem is I can't fall asleep and I can't stay asleep. I don't wake up at one particular time at night it's all throughout the night every half hour.

~catwoman

kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter takes 120mg Geodon, 16mg Rozerem, and two Klonipin. That would put an elephent to sleep.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

It looks like a lot of people are taking antipsychotics for sleep.
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am definitely a chronic insomniac. insomnia is one of my few lyme symptoms that still persists, despite otherwise feeling pretty good.

i also have problems with body clock reversal. it's so easy for me to fall into a pattern of staying up all night and sleeping during the day. not healthy at all.

i don't take any prescription sleepaids at the moment. sometimes i take benadryl, which helps occasionally. i also take natural stuff - valerian, hops, skullcap, etc.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My body clock is definitely off. My PCP says my blood pressure should be highest in the morning, but it is lowest then, but high at night.

I can fall asleep sitting up in bright light in a noisy room during the day, but can't sleep at night in a dark, quiet room without drugs (Clonidine helps me sleep the most).

However, I also agree with Gigi. My liver is a mess because of long-standing gallbladder problems. The two organs are intimately connected. I am awake from 2 am to 4 am every night.

My TCM doc prescribed a drink for my liver, but I can't use it now because the GB problem has caused gastritis, duodenitis and esophagitis. I ahd to add another drug to control this, adding to the problem. I am seeing the surgeon again in 3 days and keeping my fingers crossed that he will finally agree to operate this time.

The liver drink is a combination of 2 oz. unsweetened cranberry juice, 1 Tbsp.lemon juice, 2 oz. apple juice, 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, a touch of stevia, and 6 oz. purified water. Half of this is to be drunk before each meal. I increased the amounts and mixed up a whole pitcher full at a time and kept it in the refrig.

The TCM doc also told me to eat natural applesauce, and drink small amts. of watered down natural apple juice. She told me to eat a couple slices of beets every two hours. This helps the GB and the liver.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very low dose doxepin( 25-50mg) has helped alot to help keep me in deep ream sleep. I started out taking only 10 mg. The loading dose for treatment with this drug for depression is something like 150-200 mg. So the 25 to 50 mg is a low dose.

I have to take it before 7:30 the night before so it doesn't lag over into the next day. Have to also take extra fiber ~ it tends to constipate.

Once I fall alseep I can sleep 10-12 hours at a time straight threw. I think it is the doxepin that helps keep me asleep.

Now falling alseep takes an elephant dart.

Some over the counter stuff can help: benedryl, melatonin, sometimes valerian root, a combo of (B6, calcium & mag) & occational tylonal.

The only rx I have taken is 1 mg klonopin. It's addicting so be careful.

hope this helps

make sure to talk over everything first with your LLMD

blessings & hope you can get some zzzzzzzzzzzz's [sleepy]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

I can't take any dose of antidepressants as they make me manic. My sleep schedule can be thrown off so easily. Today for example I fell asleep at 6:30 am. My cortisol levels are low and supposedly if you have low cortisol you're more awake at night and wanting to be asleep during the day. The quality of my sleep is poor no matter what time I sleep. I woke up probably 8 times today at least.

I haven't had any luck with benzos and antipsychotics scare me.

~catwoman

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the fibro support groups I was in, we each had to find what worked for us.

I take 25 mg benedryl and 1/2 mg ativan to go to sleep. I generally sleep through for awhile.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that contributes to our lyme insomnia is our disability to do anything during the day that makes our body tired for sleep at night.... I know whenever I rarely have a decent day and am able to get up and about, I usually sleep alot better that night...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the flip side of the above, I have noticed if I over do it....I can't sleep too.

Taking pills to sleep now, but that is temporary.

Most likely will not work tonight as I had provigil this am.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WE just need a thread for Gigi...when we come across something...we need to search her resources first. [Smile]

A GiGi web site with all the trimmings would be great

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

My insomnia seems to be present through everything. Meaning when I was back at school very busy throughout the day I still had insomnia. When I was at summer camp and spent the whole day canoeing & portaging I still had insomnia. And then the times when I was less active I still had insomnia. And now I gotta admit I'm a total shut in and still struggling with insomnia.

It seems no matter what I do or how active I am my brain will just not shut off.

~catwoman

LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am definately a chronic insomniac! Nothing helps. I have anxiety in the day, and at night. Ativan and Klonopan (sp?) just make me even more jittery. I have Lyme, Bart, Erlichea and maybe babs.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CatWoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10900

LisaS,

How do you cope? This is really wearing on my nerves.

~catwoman

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement