LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I found out my daughter has lyme! Need LymeAid4Kids Application!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I found out my daughter has lyme! Need LymeAid4Kids Application!
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I just found out my daughter has Lyme. I've heard there is a fund to help treat children with Lyme.

Where can I find out more information about this? How do I apply?

Please help! This is devastating. It's one thing for me to have it, but quite another when it affects my daughter. I'm scared for her. earlier this month she was hospitalized in terrible pain. Conventional drs. did an ELISA which was negative. At least I knew to get her the WB which turned out positive!

Thank you for any help you can give!
Kayda

[ 24. April 2007, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Kayda ]

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Kayda,

How horrible for you. I am awaiting my children's WB results right now.

I really think my 5 year old daughter has it too!!

I don't know of any fund, but wanted you to know that I am keeping you and your daughter

In my prayers. Hang in there.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. Hopefully she can be treated successfully.

I would really like my daughter to have her 5 yr. old tested, but his doctor will not sign off for the test, and insurance is a pain. I told her to go to a different doc!. LLMD would approve testiing, but doesn't treat children.

Good luck

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Thank you for your prayers. I'm still in shock over this and I didn't sleep very much last night & then was up quite early.

I keep searching for the name of the fund and I think it is LymeAid4Kids, but I cannot find an application. I hope someone knows and an tell me how to apply.

When my daughter was hospitalized, they ran so many tests, because they knew she was very ill, but nothing really showed up until the WB. That along with her clinical symptoms are drawing quite a picture. I know I should be grateful to know what is going on, but I'm scared for her.

Geneal & Hurtingramma, I'm hoping for the best for your little ones. Hopefully they won't have Lyme. I do hope and pray they can get proper testing.

You know what I found out? Commercial labs throw out some of the most critical bands on the WB all because there was a vaccine at one time (for Lyme) based on those bands. Well, my daughter never had the vaccine & one of those bands showed 4++++'s which is very strong.

If we had used a Commercial Lab for the test, we would never have known about this very strong positive. When you do get a WB, please get it through Igenex (costs $195) to get the complete picture. Otherwise it's a waste of time & money. Not to mention the needless blood draw for your children.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kayda, Geneal, Hurtinggramma, I can't imagine what it would be like to wonder about kids and grandkids.

I guess I don't have anything to contribute except a big hug of understanding (even though I don't have any kids).

Tracy [group hug]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I googled for it and found this:

Lyme Disease Association Announces LymeAid4Kids Fund
http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/NewsReleases/20031027.html

The Lyme Disease Association...announced today the creation of LymeAid4Kids, a fund...to be used by families with no insurance who need to have their children properly evaluated for possible Lyme disease.

I think the fund pays for the testing, not the treatment.

Carol

Posts: 6931 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin61
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin61     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kayda, I feel your pain. My daughter was diagnosed when she was just 2 and it broke my heart. Now 3 years later she is so much better and we are hoping she can come off of meds soon. WE are a contributor of lyme aid for kids and i hope they are helping kids get actual treatment i would hate to think our money is only going for testing and not treatment. Best wishes, Robin in Houston
Posts: 121 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the site listed above, this is under the information section:

LYMEAID 4 KIDS IS HERE! I hope you will read the enclosed material to determine if any of your patients is eligible to apply or if you know of anyone willing to donate to help children get diagnosed/treated for Lyme disease.
Thanks! Pat Smith, President

Enclosed is a packet of material regarding Lyme Disease Association's (LDA) new fund, LymeAid 4 Kids (LA4K). The fund will provide monies for families who have no health coverage for their children, so they cannot get diagnosed or treated for Lyme disease. Up to $1,000 per child will be available to be applied for through the physician.

LDA created the fund in collaboration with internationally acclaimed, New York Times best-selling author Amy Tan, who is supporting it with book tour donations from her recent work, ``The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings.'' She includes a chapter on her fight against Lyme disease, including her difficulty in getting diagnosed. Ms. Tan opened the fund with a $20,000 donation at the LDA/Columbia Philadelphia medical conference, November 2003.

We hope that you will use the enclosed information to determine if you have a patient who is eligible for LA4K and to help the family apply for the monies.

Please display the LA4K notice in your office so that eligible families are aware of the fund.

Thank you for your cooperation.

P.S. Donations to the fund should be made payable to:
Lyme Disease Association, Inc.
PO Box 1438
Jackson, NJ 08527

Are you under 21 and without medical insurance for Lyme Disease?

Do you think you may have Lyme disease?

If you answered yes to both these questions,

LYMEAID 4 KIDS may help you

* It can provide up to $1,000 toward diagnosis and treatment

* It is available through any treating physician nationwide

* It is simple to apply for

For further information, check with your physician or go to
Lyme Disease Association.org

Remember, early diagnosis and appropriate treatment can prevent you from developing chronic Lyme disease!

Lyme Disease Association
PO Box 1438
Jackson, NJ 08527
888-366-6611
[email protected]
LymeDiseaseAssociation.org

Parameters of the LymeAid 4 Kids Fund

√ Applicants under the age of 21 are eligible to apply for up to $1,000.

√ The applicant shall possess neither medical insurance coverage nor receive government assistance for medical treatment for Lyme Disease.

√ The Patient/guardian must sign a statement waiving medical privacy.

√ The applicant/guardian shall sign a certified statement testifying that they are suffering from financial hardship.

√ The applicant shall have a signed & dated doctor recommendation that the applicant is suffering from financial hardship, and that based on symptoms and history, Lyme & other tick-borne disease testing and/or treatment is necessary.

√ The LDA retains the right to obtain the tax records and medical bills of the applicant and/or guardian.

√ The LDA retains the right to be reimbursed by the applicant if statements on application are proven false at any time.

Applicant Certification Form

TO: Lyme Disease Association, Inc.

(Name of Applicant or Guardian of Applicant if Applicant is under the age of 18 years)

Re: ________________________
(Name of Applicant)

CERTIFICATION

Check the applicable boxes and fill in missing information

[ ] I certify that I am unable to pay for my medical treatment due to financial hardship. I further certify that the financial documentation submitted with this certification accurately reflects my current income.

[ ] I certify that I am unable to pay for the medical treatment of the Applicant due to financial hardship. I further certify that the financial documentation submitted with this certification accurately reflects my current income.

As proof of my financial hardship, I enclose the following documentation:

[ ] a copy of my Form W-2 that was provided to me by my employer last year;
[ ] a copy of my most recent paycheck; or

[ ] other: ________________________________________________.

If the enclosed documentation does not reflect my current income, I agree to reimburse Lyme Disease Association, Inc. for the medical expenses it pays on behalf of the Applicant as well as any costs and expenses incurred by it to collect such amount.

Dated: Signature ______________________

Print Name:

LymeAid 4 Kids Physician Form

To the best of my knowledge, I, __________________________, believe that
(Physician's name)
_____________________ (the ``Applicant'') meets the following criteria:
(Patient's name)

1. The Applicant is under the age of 21 years;

2. The Applicant and the Applicant's family do not have any insurance and do not qualify to receive governmental assistance for medical care.

3. The Applicant and the Applicant's family are unable to pay for testing and/or treatment for Lyme and/or other tick-borne diseases due to financial hardship.

4. Based on the symptoms, history, and medical examination of the Applicant, I believe that the Applicant needs to be tested and/or treated for Lyme and/or other tick-borne diseases.

5. Upon the request of Lyme Disease Association, Inc., I agree to provide it with a copy of the Applicant's medical bills relating to my treatment of the Applicant.

6. All checks should be made payable to _________________________.
(Name of Physician or practice group.)

________________________ ________________________
(Physician's signature) (Date)

Authorization for Release of Medical Records

This signed note is my written authorization to release my medical records to: Lyme Disease Association, Inc. PO Box 1438 Jackson, NJ 08527

Patient Information (Print)

Name:___________________________________________________________
Address_________________________________________________________

Phone___________________________________________________________

Records to be released from applicant's Physician:

Physician Name__________________________________________________

Address_________________________________________________________

Phone___________________________________________________________

Signature of Patient (or Guardian)___________________________________

Date____________________________________________________________

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

Bridges to Access will give Anyone Free meds--

There are many other programs also --
I will look for list--
I have used Bridges to Access so I know
how it works if you need info on it-
--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Yes, Jay, thanks, I'd very much like more info on it & any other programs you know about!

I love all the support here! It makes the unbearable bearable!

Kayda

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 7 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kayda,

I wanted to let you know that Angel Flight will give you a free air flight from door to door. Mom & child or (parent & children). You're responsible for a ride to & from the airport, and for a hotel is it's needed.

They do have some minimal requirements, but they're listed on their website.

See their website at Angel Flight
http://www.angelflight.com/

Welcome to the "Mom of Lymies" club. I'm sorry you have to deal with this too.

[ 08-27-2009, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: hshbmom ]

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Thank you Nancy!

I didn't know such a thing existed. This is really important. I was wondering about how to pay for flights back & forth.

Is there specifically a website for Mom's/Parents of Lyme children?

Thanks so much!

Kayda

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear this, Kayda! How old is your child???

Remember, children bounce back more easily than adults. We'll pray for swift recovery.

[group hug] Kayda [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94694 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement