LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mold and Lyme Biotoxins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mold and Lyme Biotoxins
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My latest article was an interview with Dr. S on biotoxin illnesses. It is available now at:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/PHA%20JUNE%2007.pdf

I think the recognition of biotoxin illness is a key to our recovery and should be a factor dealt with in treatment.

Take care

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this info. [Smile]

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Article Scott- Im going to reread it when Im more awake and able to comprehend it more and relate it to my illness.

I have all of the markers of a biotoxin illness.

Thanks again for the article [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks [Smile]

I think the message is an important and overlooked one.

Take care

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning Scott,

Quick question for you.

(Sorry, I haven't had time to research this or read your latest article, so please forgive me in advance...)

If I can smell a definite mold source in my home, does that automatically mean that the mold toxins are airborne and therefore already doing damage?

Thanks for your insights,
melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

If you can smell mold, it sounds very possible. Not everyone is genetically susceptible to mold though - about 25%. So you would need to know your HLA status. I would also put out some plates and see what shows up mold-wise. www.moldlabintl.com. I would definitely do that test.

My opinion is that people with chronic illness in moldy homes don't get well. Moving is often the only option and then people see significant changes. Not a given, but more likely the rule than the exception for those that are mold biotoxin susceptible genetically.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Scott

I have had HLA testing that shows, according to Dr. Shoemaker's gene code, I'm mold susceptible and can't elliminate toxins.

I can't find any source--medical papers or scientific research--besides Dr. Shoemaker that attributes these HLA types to these problems.

From my experience with treatment attempts, I'm not disputing his claims. I would just like to read more, and he doesn't give any references in either "Desperation Medicine" or "Mold Warriors".

I am also sitting here steaming because the other "expert" Dr. S in your newsletter treated me with cholestyramine without pretreating with Actos, and it did exactly what Dr. Shoemaker said it would do to a person with Lyme Disease. It about killed me the pain was so bad.

It is disheartening indeed to not be able to trust anyone, but quite simply, I no longer do.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I had a similar experience with being given CSM and the doctor not clearly understanding the need for Actos. Fortunately, it did not cause me any significant problems.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide support for Dr. Shoemaker's research and work. He's very leading edge and it is not a surprise that other doctors are not yet aware of his theories.

Hopefully the article will help others to avoid some of the issues like you mentioned... Be well

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie, if you can smell it you need to move or get a good dehumidifier and dry out everything and attempt to find the source and clean or fix it. Throw out anything that is contaminated and that you can live without.

Scott--As for the good Dr. S, I was asked to recind a critical reply a couple of years ago but I can say this, he is a genius but he let us down at a important time, when my daughter's life was held in the balance and never adequately explained the actos use to us. His secretary completely cut us off when we had questions. Think he was too interested in talking to a publisher or someone. He had tunnel vision with the mold at the time and would not accept the tick borne disease infections since my daughter was not CDC positive.

We never received an apology. Just the file. And then an order form.

Would I recommend him, certainly, if you could not get the help you needed but I have reservations about him.

Everyone needs to consider his info however in order to recover. lymemomtooo

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I have not seen him as a patient. I am not advocating him as a doctor for inidivual cases. My article was written to spread his message which I think is valid, current, and important.

I am sorry to hear of your experience though. That is not right. None of these docs are perfect but hopefully each brings some puzzle pieces to the picture...

Take care

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning,

Thanks for the responses LMT and Scott! I really do appreciate your collective help!

I wanted to clarify a bit though...my house structure itself does NOT have any mold that I am aware of. I am however; aware of a few places within the house that mold has developed.

The first, and the only one I can ``smell'', is the garbage can. I think there were some coffee grounds that fell to the bottom of it under the plastic bags, which have taken up residence and created a lovely environment for mold. I intend to take this outside and scour it with bleach, but as of yet, just have not found the energy.

The second source is a houseplant that lives in deep shade. I noticed just a few days ago, that mushrooms and misc. other fungi are thriving there on top of the soil.

The final places that I am aware of are in the sinks and shower of my kitchen and bathroom. At times, a red film will develop on any remaining water left there overnight.

I'll go and read your article now and take a look at the other link you provided, Scott.

Thanks so much to both of you for all of your help with this and with so many other things!

Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me again [Smile]

I did a bit of searching, and found this really helpful Mold Basics Guide: http://www.epa.gov/mold/pdfs/moldguide.pdf

It is from the EPA and speaks mainly to clean-up and prevention.

``...indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.''

``Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.''

``Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.''

The article in PHA was great- Much of it really resonates with me, so thanks for writing it!

I also have a particular interest in mold as my sister is in New Orleans and is STILL dealing with the after effects of mold pollution there. Just last week she went through her final personal things that have been sitting for nearly 2 years...so much had to be tossed. Very heart-wrenching, indeed.

Many in her predicament are suffering with unexplained health issues since Katrina, and I am certain that this is a huge factor.

OK, I am off to do some mold removal [Eek!]

Thanks Scott for your continued search for answers, and for sharing those findings with us!

My best,
Melanie

lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get rid of the plant. It may be contaminating the whole house.

While it is nice to have house plants, they are potential mold hazzards.

Outside all molds, and others critters keep one another in check naturally. This does not happen in the house and there is no control so they can go haywire quickly.

As I write this, I have about 10 houseplants..So I am not a good role model..lmt

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

You are welcome. I had learned about Dr. S. research over a year ago and understood it at a basic level, but then writing the article was a good reason for me to have to dig a bit deeper and understand the details. I think the biotoxin issue is a very big one.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you suspect mold in your home, you really need to get it tested. An industrial hygiene company would be best; but you can buy testers at home supply stores.
Mold removal is a very dangerous thing. This really must be done by professionals.

I worry about the people recovering from Katrina, because I am quite sure the mold removal is not being done properly. It is expensive, and who would be paying for it?

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bedroom is in our house's basement. Should I move upstairs? I am not sure if I am sensitive to molds. I do know that the basement I live in has mold. The bathroom next to my room has a "soggy" ceiling and mold growing under the flooring.

What should I do?

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GREAT article Scott, very informative!

Keep up the good work, we are helping educate the masses!

Or in the case of PHA...waking up the nation!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

I worry about the people recovering from Katrina, because I am quite sure the mold removal is not being done properly. It is expensive, and who would be paying for it?

Mostly, the individuals effected are paying dearly for it in many ways...with their health, time and very limited resources.

Many can NOT even afford this as it means basically gutting the entire structure down to the studs or foundation.

Once that daunting job is complete...who has the ability or means left to rebuild? Very very few.

And where does this mold infested debris go to? Usually, it sits on the front sidewalk for weeks or months...and eventually (sometimes, not always) finds its way to another location to spread elsewhere into another environment.

The disaster happening there is a daily crisis- still. And I am certain that we are only beginning to see the after effects of this sustained unhealthy atmosphere on the people and all living things who reside there.

(sorry, but when you know and love those who actually live there- this hits very close to home...and this alone has kept me from returning home so far)

Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up...

great article about biotoxins from Mold Warriors author.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how Actos works to help with herxing from the cholestyramine?

I read it's a medication for diabetes... I saw something from Shoemaker but it's not in plain english (I mean, it's in medical jargon).

I was just curious how a diabetes medication can help people who take cholestyramine to absorb toxins (?).

I don't have a background in science. Is there a more natural remedy that can do what Actos does?

Other forms of molds & funguses may be making people ill, too - not just the type you may see or smell in a building.

I suspect taking antibiotics for a long time may produce problems with yeasts that are similar in regards to trying to detoxify.

Also, there are mycoplasmas present in the environment that may also give people problems.
http://www.bariumblues.com/mycoplasma_nexus.htm

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in a brand new house that turned out to be full of mold. I was sick every day and told by Dr. S. himself that I did not have Lyme and that my problems were all mold related

After years of persuasion my husband finally agreed to move and we went to a drier area-no wetlands and guess what-nothing changed. I was expecting a miraculous recovery and I got worse since being off antibiotics.

Another biotoxin expert in Pennsylvania told me that if you have mold in your body from exposure you will take it with you when you move so it is best to be treated once you move. At this point I don't know with what. I took cholestyramine and welchol with disastrous effects and even glutathione IV's didn't make me feel better.

I know my husband is upset because he loved our old house and even though I didn't improve when we moved I am glad we moved anyway. Illness leaves a lot of bad memories.

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actos is an NF Kappa B inhibitor. That is a central molecule in inflammation. I know a doc using it with autistic children to downregulate inflammation and it is being studied for that now. However it may cause heart issues from my recollection. Maybe somewhat like Avandia?

I have read the article. I have an issue with the fact that there are no pubmed sources cited here. I understand it is a distillation of his work but where does he get all this information? Also EPO and ACTOS are not drugs to be taken likely. EPO now has more black-box type labelling than it ever did.

I don't know if there is any proof whatsoever that a specific HLA type doesn't eliminate biotoxins. Has there ever been research? Same with MSH. Same with his suppositions about pathways and effects etc. No citation of ANY sources. Who knows whether its verifiable but not so useful to me if I have to spend a couple days figuring that out.

It is nice and important to have theories but they should be stated as medical hypotheses. A novel mechanism has been proposed, so let's study it.

I happened to read WildCondor's article too. Laura I'm glad you're feeling well. OTOH I feel you did a disservice to two very valuable therapies, multiple chambers and mild chambers.

Again, I understand this is just a newsletter and doesn't follow or have to follow the rules of good science and health journalism, but that would be to present a rounded view with other opinions. For instance, Scott could find and talk to experts in MSH, or HLA subtypes by doing a pubmed search, and see what they think of this theory. He could probably find the principle investigator of the study at three universities that is now underway on Actos in gut infammation in autistic children; in addition a pilot study was already published.

Laura could tell her own story exactly as she did but include people who felt multi place chambers had helped bring wellness both with and without aggressive abx therapy, and even people who feel mild home chambers are useful. For instance, Laura liked the monochamber and was able to fall asleep in it. I in contrast can't tolerate a monochamber. I tried one twice--once very early in my lyme experience, the summer I got it, and once a few years ago at Julia's. Well apparently I can't equalize my left ear in a monochamber. The first time I had such severe vertigo from that ear when I got out I could barely walk. The second time, at Julia's, I apparently blew out that ear. I didn't know it at the time. Later I had excruciating pain and it filled with fluid and was hard to hear for days. Ever since then, that ear has periodically been a problem with benign positional vertigo, and feeling stuffed and weird. In addition, a monochamber feels like a coffin to me and I feel hysterically panicked in one. In contrast, I can sit up and move around in a multichamber or in my mild chamber. Sitting up it's easier to pressurize my ears. There are actual structural reasons for this in some of us.

However monochambers are wonderful things and many have been tremendously helped by them and some people prefer them. So if I just told my story, and only my story, lots of people would get scared about monochambers.

I don't mean to get people upset with this. Everybody is trying to help and I appreciate that. Its just that when its one person's opinion or hypothesis how useful is it?

I will add that for those who don't want to take drugs, the researcher/doc pioneering the Actos in gut inflammation in autistic children has told me that natural substances can help downregulate NFKappa B too including feverfew.

Also for those with lots of funds, Comitras, or car-t-cell by Atrium Biotech, a frozen peptide, downregulates MMP-9.

Wishing you all a happy boxing day.

[ 26. December 2007, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: oxygenbabe ]

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Northern Illinois and I remember within the past year that NBC Channel 5 News had a news report on the drug Actos and there was a problem with it. I don't recall what, but I think it was held under scrutiny. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info oxygenbabe.

I agree - there are alot of theories but it's all just experimental unless there are additional studies & research.

Sometimes what is good in theory doesn't always translate into actually helping someone.

There's alot of snake oil salesmen (& women) out there & there's alot of money to be made.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great article. I've wanted to read more about this for ages.

What if my stomach won't do CSM? I had a lot of pain with just a teaspoon.

Whelchol is only slightly helpful for me.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scott, as always, thanks for your contributions.

you are the man.

can anyone reccomend a spesific test, like a name and where to get one to test my apts mold toxicity?

thanks!

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

http://www.moldlabintl.com/ has the mold plates for testing your living or work area

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me charcoal is something worth investigating here or maybe not?

I am ordering his book.

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wallace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet to read his book but I feel he needs to try and find natural alternatives to the drugs he normally uses. Maybe ask Buhner? I have heard oats mentioned but they have gluten in!

Are people here following his gluten free diet?

Wallace

Posts: 654 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

From www.cpnhelp.org. Some back- up?

wallace
Submitted by Jim K on Sun, 2008-02-10 10:18. Cpn Handbook | Supplements
One of the discussions over the years has been the use of binding agents to soak up fat-soluble porphyrins dumped into the digestive tract by the liver, and keep them from getting re-absorbed on their way through the digestive tract. This not only lowers the immediate porphyria reactions, but helps over time to lower the total body load of fat-stored porphyrins. Some people with Cpni don't appear to be bothered much by porphyria and find binding agents not at all helpful, others find it life saving as porphyria is a big component of their distress from Cpn. Since some tissues like the liver and bone marrow are bigger producers of heme, it stands to reason that Cpn infectionsi in these tissues would probably create the worst secondary porphyriai. If your primary infection site is in tissues not productive of heme you will likely not have as much porphyria.

Anyway, anecdotal reports on www.cpnhelp.org are that some people find prescription cholestyramine (Questran) to be more effective than the cheaper OTC activated charcoal, while others find the charcoal to be just the ticket. There is even a pricey but flavored choco-mint powdered form of activated charcoal! I have likened this to taking choco-mint flavored xerox toner, but it is a way to get a bigger dose of charcoal without capsules.

Then I read that there is a "Super charcoal" which has double to triple the absorbtive capacity of the regular stuff, meaning that less is needed for the same effect. In trying to find out more, I came upon a page that listed a bunch of medline comparisons between cholestyramine and activated charcoal. I've copied these below and highlighted the conclusions. There may be some newer studies to add as this has not been updated in a while. It is my impression that some of these studies were done to test a specific brand of super charcoal, and so keep that in mind. The general conclusion is that the activated charcoals are as effective as cholestyramine in lowering cholesteroli, and binding with Fats, and (this should generalize to porphyrins as well). It does appear that the superactivated versions are more effective at binding some of the porphyrins than regular AC's.

TI: Sorbent therapy of the porphyriasi. IV. Adsorption of porphyrins by sorbents in vitro.
AU: Tishler-PV; Winston-SH
SO: Methods-Find-Exp-Clin-Pharmacol. 1985 Sep; 7(9): 485-91
ISSN: 0379-0355
PY: 1985
LA: ENGLISH
CP: SPAIN
AB: The adsorption capacities (Qm's) of the ion exchange resin cholestyramine and 8 activated charcoals for uroporphyrin, protoporphyrin and coproporphyrin, porphyrins that accumulate within tissues or vasculature in certain porphyrias, have been determined. Qm's (mg porphyrin/gm dry sorbent) were derived from Langmuir isotherms, which were constructed from experiments that assessed the amount of porphyrin adsorbed after the addition of varying amounts of porphyrin in solution to a constant amount of sorbent. These experiments were carried out at pH 8.2 in 0.5% desoxycholate, to simulate conditions of the small intestine. For uroporphyrin I, the Qm for Amoco Supersorb PX-21 highly activated charcoal was greater than that for cholestyramine (mean +/- SD of 26.5 +/- 12.7 vs. 17.0 +/- 2.6; t'32 = 2.46, P less than 0.025) and highly significantly greater than those of the other charcoals. For protoporphyrin IX, cholestyramine and Amoco Supersorb PX-21 charcoal had the highest Qm's (32.4 +/- 8.6 and 30.9 +/- 9.2), but these were not significantly greater than the Qm's of 5 other charcoals. Little difference was found among sorbents in the rate of adsorption of either porphyrin. For coproporphyrin III, the Qm's of cholestyramine and Amoco Supersorb PX-21 charcoal were not significantly different (39.2 +/- 13.7 vs. 35.1 +/- 4.0) but they were greater than that of Norit USP XX (20.0). Virtually no desorption of porphyrin from either cholestyramine or Amoco Supersorb PX-21 charcoal was detected. Both cholestyramine and Amoco Supersorb PX-21 charcoal appear to be highly avid sorbents for porphyrins of varied states of carboxylation.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)
MESH: Adsorption-; Human-; In-Vitro; Liver-Diseasesi-etiology; Liver-Diseases-therapy; Porphyria-complications; Porphyrins-; Support,-U.S.-Gov't,-Non-P.H.S.
MESH: *Charcoal-therapeutic-use; *Cholestyramine-therapeutic-use; *Porphyria-therapy; *Skin-Diseases-therapy
RN: 11041-12-6; 16291-96-6
NM: Cholestyramine; Charcoal
AN: 86090956
UD: 8604

TI TITLE: Sorbent therapy of the porphyrias. V. Adsorption of the porphyrin precursors delta-aminolevulinic acid and porphobilinogen by sorbents in vitro. AU AUTHOR(S): Winston-SH; Tishler-PV SO SOURCE (BIBLIOGRAPHIC CITATION): Methods-Find-Exp-Clin-Pharmacol. 1986 Apr; 8(4): 233-7 PY PUBLICATION YEAR: 1986 LA LANGUAGE OF
ARTICLE: ENGLISH CP COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION: SPAIN
AB ABSTRACT: The acute attacks of the acute hepatic porphyrias may be precipitated by the excessive intracellulari accumulation of the porphyrin precursors delta-aminolevulinic acid (ALA) or porphobilinogen (PBG). Sorbents that bind porphyrin precursors in the gastrointestinal tract may interrupt their enterohepatic circulation, thus reducing the body burden of these materials and minimizing the frequency or severity of acute attacks. We have determined the adsorption capacities (Qm's) of several activated charcoals and the ion exchange resin cholestyramine for ALA and PBG. Qm's (mg ALA or PBG adsorbed/gm dry sorbent) were determined from Langmuir isotherms, which were derived from studies of the amount of porphyrin precursor adsorbed after the addition of a constant amount of ALA or PBG to varying amounts of sorbent. These experiments were carried out pH 8.2 in 0.1% desoxycholate, to simulate conditions of the small intestine. Extremely high Qm's were obtained for all charcoals and both porphyrin precursors; those for cholestyramine were one or several orders of magnitude lower. For ALA, the Qm of Gulf Bio-Systems Super Char charcoal (110 +/- 35 [SD]) was not significantly greater than that of Med-Corp Acta-Char charcoal (95 +/- 20), but it did exceed those of all other charcoals by a statistically significant amount. For PBG, the Qm of Super Char (68 +/- 14) was marginally greater than that of Mallinckrodt USP charcoal (42 +/- 21, t8 = 2.18, p approximately equal to 0.06), but it was significantly greater than that of Acta-Char charcoal (27 +/- 12). All sorbents adsorbed ALA or PBG at comparable rates, and the complex of sorbent and porphyrin precursor appeared to be undissociable.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT HEADINGS: Adsorption-; Kinetics-; Support,-U.S.-Gov't,-Non-P.H.S. MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT
HEADINGS: *Aminolevulinic-Acid; *Charcoal-; *Cholestyramine-; *Levulinic-Acids; *Porphobilinogen- RN CAS REGISTRY NUMBER OR EC
NUMBER: 106-60-5; 11041-12-6; 16291-96-6; 487-90-1
NM NAME OF SUBSTANCE: Aminolevulinic-Acid; Cholestyramine; Charcoal; Porphobilinogen ISSN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD SERIAL NUMBER: 0379-0355 AN MEDLINE ACCESSION NUMBER: 86255821 UD UPDATE CODE: 8610

TI TITLE: Correlative studies of the hypocholesterolemic effect of a highly activated charcoal. AU AUTHOR(S): Tishler-PV; Winston-SH; Bell-SM AD ADDRESS OF AUTHOR: Brockton/West Roxbury Veterans Administration Medical Center, MA. SO SOURCE (BIBLIOGRAPHIC
CITATION): Methods-Find-Exp-Clin-Pharmacol. 1987 Dec; 9(12): 799-806 PY PUBLICATION YEAR: 1987 LA LANGUAGE OF ARTICLE: ENGLISH CP COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION: SPAIN AB ABSTRACT: We have carried out in vitro and animal studies to determine the cholesterol lowering efficacy of activated charcoals vs. cholestyramine. In the in vitro studies, we determined the adsorption capacity (Qm) of cholestyramine and activated charcoals for cholesterol in glacial acetic acid. Mean (+/- SD) Qm's (mg cholesterol adsorbed/gm dry sorbent) decreased in the order Super Char highly activated charcoal (277 +/- 121), Norit USP XX charcoal (33 +/- 10), Acta-Char charcoal (26 +/- 4), Mallinckrodt USP charcoal (26 +/- 10), Norit A charcoal (22 +/- 4) and cholestyramine (0). For the bile salt sodium desoxycholate in ammonia: sodium bicarbonate, pH 8.2, the Qm with cholestyramine was 4641 +/- 2669 and with Super Char was 2814 +/- 667 (p = 0.11). We then contrasted the effect of cholestyramine (1%, added to the diet) and Super Char (1% or 2%) on plasma cholesterol concentrations in rabbits made hypercholesterolemic with a diet containing casein. The percent reductions were 61 in one rabbit fed chole styramine, 61 and 67 in two rabbits fed 1% Super Char, and 90 in one rabbit fed 2% Super Char. In WHHL homozygous rabbits, reductions in plasma cholesterol from pre-treatment and post-treatment levels, respectively, averaged 52% and 38% with 2% cholestyramine (2 animals), 70% and 43% with 2% Super Char (2 animals), and 70% and 63% with 4% Super Char (3 animals). The effectiveness of cholestyramine in animals that lack functional cellular receptors for low density lipoprotein was unexpected. Super Char charcoal appears to be an effective hypocholesterolemic agent, warranting study in man. MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT HEADINGS: Animal-; Cholestyramine-therapeutic-use; Comparative-Study; Deoxycholic-Acid-pharmacology; In-Vitro; Rabbits-; Support,-U.S.-Gov't,-Non-P.H.S. MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT HEADINGS: *Anticholesteremic-Agents-therapeutic-use;
*Charcoal-therapeutic-use; *Hypercholesterolemia-drug-therapy
RN CAS REGISTRY NUMBER OR EC NUMBER: 11041-12-6; 16291-96-6; 83-44-3 NM NAME OF SUBSTANCE: Cholestyramine; Charcoal; Deoxycholic-Acid ISSN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD SERIAL NUMBER: 0379-0355 AN MEDLINE ACCESSION NUMBER: 88156426 UD UPDATE CODE: 8806

TI TITLE: Superactivated charcoal versus cholestyramine for cholesterol lowering: a randomized cross-over trial. AUTHOR(S): Park-GD; Spector-R; Kitt-TM AD ADDRESS OF AUTHOR: Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City. SO SOURCE (BIBLIOGRAPHIC CITATION): J-Clin-Pharmacol. 1988 May; 28(5): 416-9 ISSN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD SERIAL NUMBER: 0091-2700 PY PUBLICATION YEAR: 1988 LA LANGUAGE OF ARTICLE: ENGLISH CP COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION: UNITED-STATES AB ABSTRACT: To evaluate the relative abilities of superactivated charcoal (20 g twice daily) and cholestyramine (8 g twice daily) to lower plasma cholesterol concentrations acutely, six hypercholesterolemic patients were studied using a randomized cross-over design. After a 1-week dietary control period, each subject received 3 weeks of each treatment regimen on separate occasions. Superactivated charcoal and cholestyramine reduced total plasma cholesterol by 21.8 +/- 3.8% and 16.2 +/- 2.4%, respectively. Side effects were mild and similar for both treatments. At the dosage regimens studied, superactivated charcoal and cholestyramine have comparable ability to lower plasma cholesterol concentrations. MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT HEADINGS: Adult-; Charcoal-adverse-effects; Cholestyramine-adverse-effects; Clinical-Trials; Diet-; Female-; Human-; Male-; Middle-Age; Random-Allocation; Support,-Non-U.S.-Gov't; Support,-U.S.-Gov't,-P.H.S.; Time-Factors; Triglycerides-blood MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT HEADINGS: *Anticholesteremic-Agents; *Charcoal-pharmacology; *Cholesterol-blood; *Cholestyramine-pharmacology PT PUBLICATION TYPE: CLINICAL-TRIAL CN CONTRACT OR GRANT NUMBERS: RR59 RN CAS REGISTRY NUMBER OR EC NUMBER: 11041-12-6; 16291-96-6; 57-88-5 NM NAME OF SUBSTANCE: Cholestyramine; Charcoal; Cholesterol AN MEDLINE ACCESSION NUMBER:88273727 UD UPDATE CODE: 8810

TI TITLE: Activated charcoal in the treatment of hypercholesterolaemia: dose-response relationships and comparison with cholestyramine. AU AUTHOR(S): Neuvonen-PJ; Kuusisto-P; Vapaatalo-H; Manninen-V AD ADDRESS OF AUTHOR: Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki, Finland. SO SOURCE (BIBLIOGRAPHIC CITATION): Eur-J-Clin-Pharmacol. 1989; 37(3): 225-30 ISSN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD SERIAL NUMBER: 0031-6970 PY PUBLICATION YEAR: 1989 LA LANGUAGE OF ARTICLE: ENGLISH CP COUNTRY OF
PUBLICATION: GERMANY-WEST
AB ABSTRACT: The dose-response relationship of activated charcoal in reducing serum cholesterol was determined and the effects of charcoal and cholestyramine were compared in patients with hypercholesterolaemia. In a cross-over study 7 patients ingested charcoal 4, 8, 16 or 32 g/day, and finally bran, each phase lasting for 3 weeks. Serum total and LDL-cholesterol were decreased (maximum 29% and 41%, respectively) and the ratio of HDL/LDL-cholesterol was increased (maximum 121%) by charcoal in a dose dependent manner. Ten further patients with severe hypercholesterolaemia ingested daily for 3 weeks, in random order, activated charcoal 16 g, cholestyramine 16 g, activated charcoal 8 g + cholestyramine 8 g, or bran. The concentrations of total and LDL-cholesterol were reduced by charcoal (23% and 29%, respectively), cholestyramine (31% and 39%) and their combination (30% and 38%). The ratio of HDL/LDL-cholesterol was increased from 0.13 to 0.23 by charcoal, to 0.29 by cholestyramine, and to 0.25 by their combination. Serum triglycerides were increased by cholestyramine but not by charcoal. Other parameters, including the serum concentrations of vitamin A, E and 25(OH)D3 remained unaffected. The changes in lipids only partly subsided during the 3-week bran phase. In general, the acceptability by the patients and the efficacy of activated charcoal, cholestyramine and their combination were about equal, but there were individual preferences for particular treatments. MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT HEADINGS: Adult-; Cholesterol-blood; Comparative-Study; Dose-Response-Relationship,-Drug; Drug-Therapy,-Combination; Female-; Human-; Hypercholesterolemia,-Familial-blood;
Lipoproteins,-HDL-Cholesterol-blood;
Lipoproteins,-LDL-Cholesterol-blood; Male-; Middle-Age; Support,-Non-U.S.-Gov't; Triglycerides-blood MESH MEDICAL SUBJECT
HEADINGS: *Charcoal-therapeutic-use; *Cholestyramine-therapeutic-use; *Hypercholesterolemia,-Familial-drug-therapy
RN CAS REGISTRY NUMBER OR EC NUMBER: 11041-12-6; 16291-96-6; 57-88-5 NM NAME OF SUBSTANCE: Cholestyramine; Charcoal; Cholesterol AN MEDLINE ACCESSION NUMBER:

D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an interesting site on Fungus and health.

I little too much self promotion, but some good links and other info.

http://www.know-the-cause.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Just got Mold Warriors and am impressed so far.

He mentions two cfs docs Petersen and De Meirleir not then interested in his theories. They still arent, at a conference on CFS I attended Mold wasnt mentioned by either of them.

I like the fact that even though he knows whats wrong he admits that he doesnt always have the right treatment. He seems rather conventional in his treatment ideas, keeping to prescribed medicines. Lots of docs never mention they have failures!!

I dont suppose Dr K would have a big problem with what he is proposing.

He says 75% would benefit from living at high altitude. Any one feel better in the mountains?

Wallace

asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats his rationale for people feeling better at a higher altitude? Is this for Lyme or Mold when he refers to this? Also, has anyone actually seen Dr. S that wrote mold warriors?
Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I moved from below sea level from a house where stachybotrus (black mold) was found to 8000 ft above. I feel better, but I am on cholestyramine and a lot of other protocols.
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Dr. S.

He ran all kinds of his own patented blood tests on me and was able to find that I do not have the capacity to eliminate mold from my system very well--even though I do have the ability to eliminate Lyme fairly well. But it's a catch 22, because he claims you can't get better from Lyme if you're exposed to mold.

He's big on cholestyramine for me. I'm currently living in Florida--and obviously mold is everywhere in Florida.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tested a long time ago for allergies. i'm allergic to dust,pollen, mold, cedar, elm, oak, grass, you name it.

is this the same thing???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking my child to Dr. S. in MD ...hopefully at the end of March. It may have to be a little later.

My child's pain specialist made the referral.

Our home used to be a meth lab. The house was foreclosed and sat empty for several years. The roof leaked and now there is black moldy insulation in the attic. It needs replaced, but that's my husband's job...I worry about all the other stuff.

The cement slab under the kitchen floor was very dark. I saw the slab when the floor was replaced before we bought the house. I remember some mold odor at that time, but don't notice any now. The site was not well graded & rain drained under/on the slab. We have had the site graded and solved that problem.

The kitchen sink was poorly installed. The drain pipe leaked under the base of the cabinet and smells musty. This has been repaired.

Our tub enclosures were replaced before we bought the house. They are 2-piece units that overlap in the middle. I wonder if they should have been caulked? It looks like water drains to the front of the tub along that seam...making the drywall damp, allowing mold to grow.

One of my children with chronic Lyme disease has severe neuropathy and has not improved in over a year. This child is out of school due to pain and receives homebound education. She also has a seizure-like movement disorder.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenaD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see Dr. S.

I have visible mold in my house (I'm moving, fortunately) and so Dr. S has me taking cholestyramine.

He was able to test me with one of his patented blood tests and find that I am genetically inclined to remove Lyme from my system pretty well--but not mold--and mold makes it more difficult to recover from Lyme, so it's a catch 22. Hopefully lab work will show that the cholestyramine is working.

--------------------
"Never underestimate the power of a few committed people to change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has."
--Margaret Mead

Posts: 290 | From New York | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Oops--I posted twice--when I came back to this topic I couldn't find my previous post! Either that's pretty bad Lyme brain or my computer is weird. (I think I know which one it is, lol!)

--------------------
--Margaret Mead

GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

Oops--I posted twice--when I came back to this topic I couldn't find my previous post! Either that's pretty bad Lyme brain or my computer is weird. (I think I know which one it is, lol!)

--------------------
--Margaret Mead

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

As I understand it he is saying that repairing the mold isnt enough. You need to move as you now have a sensitivity to it. But your possessions and clothes(I know you can wash clothes but will that remove all the mold?) do they also need to be gotton rid of because they are now contaminated? Any thoughts? This is straight out of Kafka!!!

I have moved but I still have my clothes!!!

I am going to order his earlier book Desperation Medicine to see how his views have evolved.

A long time ago I tested positive to his VCS test.

He seems a nice guy. Does he come across that way personally?

Wallace

lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read on the website of the Office for Environmental Safety that you should simply launder clothing. But I think I would toss any clothing that has VISIBLE mold. I have bags of clothing and other items out in my garage that were removed by the company who did our remediation. I think they gave me the same advice about laundering. I won't tell you how long those bags have been sitting out there, but long enough for me to forget their instructions!
Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mold in my home too. Ive been told I wont get well from the infections until I either get rid of the mold or move.

Thing is , what if i move to an even worse place? The house across the street had severe mold, and new owner just covered it up before they re-sold it.

What is it about the mold, that doesnt allow us to recover from the lyme?

Ive read mold warriors, but im still confused about this one.

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

As I understand it, this is not an allergy to mold. Mold spores carry toxins. Everyone inhales them, and usually they make their way through and out the body with little or no disruption. But if you have the genetic vulnerablilty, you don't eliminate as efficiently. Again, no big deal UNTIL you get hit with a massive/continuous amount that triggers the disabling of that gene. Or, if you get hit with another toxin-producing thing - borrelia for example, then you really decrease your ability to eliminate efficiently. In my daughter's case, she has little or no MSH or VEGF, which are necessary for this process, I suppose. Simplistic answer, I know. I have trouble understanding his book too. But I am convinced that detoxing is the key to level of recovery. The more effectively you can detox, the better you will be.
Nicoles Mom
Member # 14408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicoles Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicole is terribly allergic to Molds. This is what we orrigonally thought were causing her headaches, pain etc 8 years ago.

What I did not know was that removing her from the sourse wouldn't do the trick. I did not know this stuff just stays in your system and keeps you sick even if you remove the mold sourse. We moved but that didn't do it.

So from what I am reading here since we know mold is an issue for her we need to address the mold. How?

I feel so stupid, I don't get this stuff. And I am not a stupid person.

I am usually the kind of person who wants all the info, all the research so I can make a decision. I don't just let other people to make decisions for me and blindly follow along. But right now I feel incapable of figuring this out and wish someone would just open the Magic Answere Book to the right page for me.

Dara

Posts: 93 | From Illinois / Ontario | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GenaD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11988

I think going on cholestyramine will address the mold--remove it and other toxins from her system.

Dr. S said that the reason a lot of Lyme treatment doesn't work is that very few llmds understand how mold hinders Lyme treatment.

--------------------
--Margaret Mead

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

I had some validation of my mold reaction today. My brother came to visit, and said he started to get really sick and nausous upstairs in my apartment(im in the attic)... I get sick that feeling too when Im up there. Sigh.

I think my major exposure was at my former employer, and then this home, and possibly a reinfection with lyme and company..too much.

What is strange is my symptoms vary, wouldnt they be constant due to the mold exposure?

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my apartment has mold from a radiator leak and i just bought a way-too-expensive air purifier, like the one to which scott links on his site.. i'm wondering if that will help things at all? i know ideally i need to move, but that isn't an option at the moment. right now we're trying to work with the landlord to clean everything out and remediate the apartment, but it's a slow process because of course it's expensive and he doesn't want to cooperate. argh.

anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with air purifiers/ionizers in a room with mold (the mold/leak is in the living room), and what your results have been.

thanks.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Don't buy the ion purifiers! Buy one with a true hepa filter. This advice came from an industrial environmentalist who tested our house for mold.

Another piece of advice he gave us - if you see evidence of mold, DO NOT disturb it in any way - cleaning it, cutting out wallboard, etc. It is when the spores go airborne that they affect you. You really need to have a mold remediation specialist do it.

As for Chlostyramine, my daughter did a strict 3-month protocol and became symptom-free. Symptoms did return eventually, though, probably because of re-exposure and stopping the protocol. It is not an easy protocol, but it is effective if done correctly. Her stomach can not tolerate it anymore, so she does herbal detox. We haven't found any that are quite as effective as the CSM. Has anyone else?

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started using the csm that was prescribed by my doctor. It contains sugar, and I started breaking out, and gaining weight. I ordered pure csm from a compounding pharmacy. Is the whole point that csm is all soluable fiber?

Other products that are soluable fiber are coconut flour, and lo carb thickeners that are entirely soluable fiber (Like Thick'n'thin Not Starch). Couldn't these products accomplish the same purpose?

They are less expensive, so I'd like to know if there's something special or different about the csm.

Posts: 550 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

P573 mold warriors" if exposed to mold and sick from it..plan to get out before its too late. If you remain sick after you are no longer exposed, dont be surprised. Thats a marker for toxin illness." "Is remediation a waste of money? Often it is...'

What herbs do you use for herbal detox?

I have just started activated charcoal.

Another book I have ordered as I find it difficult to read much stuff over the internet.

I agree most docs dont take mold sufficently seriously. Its not the microbe its the terrain!

Wallace

Health-focused individuals nationwide learn of the highly acclaimed book, MOLD: The War Within, from author and TV host Doug Kaufman who writes in this month's Healthy Living Magazine.

For_Immediate_Release:
United States of America (Press Release) September 6, 2007 -- Health food store customers may now request of their local health food stores to order and stock the much-sought-after book, MOLD: The War Within, which is receiving praise from national mold and health experts across the country. TV host Doug Kaufmann states, ``I can't remember the last book I read that I just couldn't put down, but then I have a strange weakness for books that talk about mold, mildew, yeast and fungi causing disease and death . . . and there aren't too many of those around yet! MOLD: The War Within is such a book.'' New York Times Best-selling author Doris Rapp, MD, who has spent decades treating children and adults sick and debilitated from mold and chemical exposures states, ``The book MOLD: The War Within by Kurt and Lee Ann Billings is truly outstanding. . . . They have written the ultimate `Why and How To' book that confirms the devastating changes that can occur in health and lives because of extensive exposure to molds, formaldehyde (in trailers), and other harmful pollutants. . . . This book offers practical realistic help and suggestions so others who have been hurt will know what to do and where to go for the help and assistance they need.

Doug Kaufman, TV host of Know the Cause, has encouraged viewers for years to uncover the cause of an illness--not just treat the symptoms. Unfortunately, the cause of illnesses induced from environmental factors such as mold and chemicals are often overlooked by traditional medical doctors. Misdiagnoses and mistreatments not only can result, but are quite common.

MOLD: The War Within has opened the information highway in regard to mold and chemical exposures and resultant illnesses and diseases. The book provides scientific and medical documentation that shreds the medical misconceptions that ``mold cannot make you sick.'' Not only will readers find out that mold can make you sick, but they will get a valuable medical education from reading MOLD: The War Within. In fact, Roby D. Mitchell, MD, states, ``Every health care professional needs to read this book and understand its implications.'' Rebecca Carley, MD, further echoes Dr. Mitchell's sentiments regarding the book MOLD: The War Within. She states, ``In my opinion, this book should be required reading for all medical students.''

Health Food Stores, drug stores, and other retail book outlets can now WHOLESALE order MOLD: The War Within. For wholesale pricing, call Partners Publishing LLC today at 865-963-6507.

Partners Publishing LLC/Kurt and Lee Ann Billings
Contact author

Email to a colleague
Printer friendly version
Add to social bookmarks
Comments
Report adult / spamKeywords: mold , Doug Kaufmann , Know the Cause , Kurt and Lee Ann Billings , Partners Publishing , Healthy Living

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

There are various references to charcoal on www.personalconsult.com a colleague of Dr Shoemaker. I had a very strong reaction to puting a charcoal/clay poulice overnight on my head. This might explain why as it was reacting to mycotoxins.

Wallace

from the above website.

THE COMMON MOLD TOXIN TRICHOTHECENE
I am regularly surprised at the incompetent government agencies, which say mold merely bothers the sinuses and lungs and that the hundreds of mold toxins are otherwise simply precious and safe. I think we need to improve the oxygen flow in these buildings. Their dinosaur medicine is hurting at least hundreds of thousands and likely millions.

T-2 or trichothecene is a fairly common toxic chemical produced by fusarium mold species, the famous black mold called, stachybotrys, trichoderma and other molds. They may contaminate food or feed grains, induce hemorrhage in lungs and brain, and damage bone marrow due to protein and DNA synthesis inhibition. So much for dangerous nonsense about merely troubling the sinuses!

T-2 is like many other mold toxins, called mycotoxins, which may enter your body through skin, your intestines from eating or deep in your lungs from breathing. They do not sit around for months to have effects on you, but quickly inhibitor protein and nucleic acid manufacturing. They particularly damage tissues, which grow fast like bone marrow, skin and mouth/nose/vagina, and other moist tissue.

If T-2 were used in war, the T-2 would stick to skin and go right through it! Other T-2 molecules would be eaten and inhaled. If you enter any moldy location with T-2, your papers, brief case, and clothing would be contaminated. If you go to another building or visit your children at school -- you just contaminated the school. At night, when you return to home, you would bring home the T-2 and it would serve as a reservoir for further toxin exposure.

SIGNS OF EXPOSURE
In minutes, I have had patients have many possible symptoms:

burning skin pain
ice-pick pain
red skin
tenderness
blistering
red eyes
itchy
blisters
painful nose
sneezing
running nose
coughing
wheezing
shortness of breath
blood streak in saliva or nasal mucous
Lost appetite
Nausea or vomiting
watery or blood tinged diarrhea (black stool can be digested blood)
abdominal cramps
eye pain,
eye tearing -- as if something in your eye
blurred vision
In contrast to silly government comments,
T-2 affects still more full bodily organs:
full body weakness
trouble walking
dizziness
lost coordination--which can be tested by seeing if you can stay on your feet with eyes closed, feet about 15 inches apart and with gentle pushes by the physician.
Rapid pulse
Low temperature
Jerky movements
Low blood pressure
Skin can rot off, slide off, and blood pressure can crash in individuals who die from T-2. Death is in minutes to days. So much for the government saying this is merely causing sinus and lung annoyance. At the same time some agencies say it is not too serious, the government military is preparing for the use of T-2 in biowarfare, designing decontamination kits, and warning of yellow rain as a possible T-2 attack.

DIAGNOSIS
In contrast to mustard gas, which has an odor and takes hours to hurt you, T-2 acts in minutes with no odor. One reason depending on a "mold" contractor's nose to determine if you have mold is utterly ridiculous.

Diagnosis of T-2 mycotoxins comes from blood and environmental samples tested with special GL-MS. This lab test can discover as little as 0.1 parts per billion. So human detection is blood or air. It appears to me the fastest testing is of T-2 in cereals.

TREATMENT
Removal from the mold source is not an option. This includes moldy homes, work, schools, cars, garages, basements and any other source. Get a doctor's note.
Pharmaceutical charcoal should be given orally.
Some research shows that cholestyramine 5x a day on an empty stomach may be helpful.
Clothing should be washed and soaked in 5% hypochlorite for 12 hours.
Wash body thoroughly with soap and water -- 3x. This is not felt to be a waste of time, but very helpful.
Wash eyes with sterile saline like that used in contact lens care.
Consider full body charcoal powder which can be purchased many places including 610 363 7474 which carries a prescription super fine charcoal powder we use in first 90 seconds of fire ant toxins and also to clean our pool. It might help weaken T-2 on your skin. No promises.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Apparently the above book, Mold, the war within, mentions that NONI juice and Udo's oil increase the effectiveness of CSM(cholestrymine).

Another mention of charcoal at www.personalconsult.com
How Common Mold Toxins Hurt the Brain
A Sample List of the Exact Symptoms, Signs &
Various Brain Studies Affected by Indoor Mold
Parents may wonder if their family's emotional or health troubles come from mold toxins. We have reviewed over two hundred articles on mold symptoms, and below we list the most common effects of mold on the mind and body. No one has all of these and some are only present in very severe exposures. Even if an exposure is modest, it can still have significant effects on school, work or relationships. These mold chemicals can enter the air from hidden mold sources with the mere vibration of a stereo or merely opening a door. The toxic mold chemicals then disperse all over a school or home. Once they enter your lungs or are swallowed in your nasal fluids or saliva, then they will travel all over the body.

Please realize that if you spend any time in a musty location or a location with visible indoor mold, you will have mold toxin exposure. High levels of exposure overwhelm everyone. Mild mold toxin exposure still bothers approximately 1 in 4 who are poor at removing biologically active mold toxins. These sensitive people need to be extra careful with mold, because they do not remove the toxins from their systems as well as the non-sensitive people. They have to be sure to live in a home that has no hidden indoor mold. They cannot work or go to school in a moldy structure. They need clean low dust environments with air scrubbed with disposable MERV 11 air filters. They also need to take mold toxin binding agents such as Cholestyramine. (Dr. Rosen believes the fat binder Chitosan and pharmaceutical charcoal may also have some mold toxin binding effects).

Mold toxins can produce hundreds of different body problems. This list below is just some key Neurology and Psychiatry sample findings. In an upcoming book on the effects of indoor mold on youth, I go through all the major organs of the body. Again, some patients with mild exposure or who are not extremely sensitive to mold toxins may just have a couple symptoms.

Brain

Headaches
Poor memory
Trouble concentrating
Trouble learning
Trouble finding words
Disorientation
Seizures
Trouble speaking fast
Trouble with understanding fast
Trembling
Vocal or Motor Tics
Serotonin changes
Abnormal reflexes
Strokes
Edema or swelling in the brain
Scarring of Brain seen on MRI's
PET and SPECT scans show hypoperfusion
EEG abnormalities
Brain and Psychiatric Struggles

Mood swings
Mania
Irritability
Impulsivity
Increased risk taking
Decreased speak smoothness
Poor stress coping
Increased verbal fighting
New lateness
Poor empathy
Poor boundary awareness
Immaturity
Spacey
Rigidity
Poor insight
Poor insight into illness
Decreased productivity
Unable to process trauma or interpersonal pain
Increased narcissism
Forgetfulness
Poorly organized or obsessively organized
Dead creativity
Depression
Anxiety
Panic Attacks
Decreased attention
Eccentric personality
A delay in a Child's developmental milestones
Increased alcohol consumption or increased drug use

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally did take Activated charcoal which definately gave some benefit although now on the Actos/Chlorestamine protocol with supportive detox herbs/vits this is a whole new ball game.

I have the genetic defective HLA gene and could not detox myself but only discovered this after being on AB's for over a year, at first I could take AB's and then my CNS problem became so severe and I could not tollerate any dosage of AB's - I changed LLMDs and was put on the Actos/Chlorestamine protocol with supportive detox vits - I was told to start very slowly as the herx could be far worse than anything I had ever experienced on AB's as we would be pulling the Toxins out of there beds, Well it was right the herx was HORRIFIC, my CNS felt like it was rocking and I could not bare to be awake.

But slowly over time I have upped to full dosage (over 1 month) and as I up the chlorestamine it is dificult and then it settles - for me this has been the very worst part of any of my treatment but so worth it, I am improving every day and physically am already 30/40% improved, I remain on Actos to down regulate cytokine/inflammatory response.

So within a month or so I will be ready to restart AB's for Bartonella then Babs and then Lyme with the aid of continual detox.

So for me I honestly could not have gone forward or continued treatment without this protocol to remove Neuro/Biotoxins and thank Dr S for his protocol and my New LLMD for his knowledge and invaluable input.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Glad to hear of your improvement Rianna. A bit more info on this other mold book.
wallace

Mold: The War Within
by Kurt & Lee Ann Billings

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&ean=9780972101608

More About Mold
Product Details
From the Publisher
Customer Reviews
What People Are Saying

Product Details
ISBN: 0972101608
ISBN-13: 9780972101608
Format: Paperback, 475pp
Publisher: Partners Publishing LLC
Sales Rank: 14,640
From the Publisher
Find out what governmental agencies are not telling you in regard to the health dangers of exposure to mold, hurricane sediment, and formaldehyde. The authors interweave easy-to-understand explanations of complex topics with extensive research from original source interviews with leading professionals, peer reviewed journals, and industry and governmental literature. In addition, the authors expose the prevalence of fungal misdiagnoses and mistreatment while chronicling their family's frustrating, but ultimately successful, quest for effective treatment of mold and chemical exposure from Hurricane Katrina. After months of research, trials, and errors, they share their inspirational journey of healing, what worked medically and nutritionally for them - what didn't - and why.

MOLD: The War Within will enlighten every homeowner, renter, and employee, regardless of location, who is - or could become - sick from mold or chemical exposure from floods, hurricanes, sick buildings, and the ever-present environmental pollution that affects us all. Revealing interviews with prominent experts on mold- and chemical-related issues bring to life such topics as the:

Effects of mold and chemical exposure on human health
Methods of mold testing
Dangers of antifungal and antibiotic pharmaceuticals
Legal loopholes of mold cases
Healing through natural means

Customer Reviews
Number of reviews: 5 Average Rating:
Write your own review! >

Showing 1-5

P S Morningstar, a recovering biotoxic victim, 09/01/2007
A reviewer
The Billings have done an excellent job of publishing a much-needed 'handbook' for the layperson with regards to being exposed to biotoxic molds and other contaminates. I give a lot of credit to this family for the quick response in addressing health issues that plague most people exposed to mycotoxins for any length of time. A large portion of the population cannot afford or even find the correct environmental physicians to help understand our health conditions relating to mycotoxin exposure. This book gives hope and sheds light that we are not crazy. We don't need psychiatric drugs. Our bodies are sick, and we know it! Katrina is bringing a whole new face to biotoxic exposure. The two weeks exposure shows just how toxic these molds are- and how quickly our physical health can deteriorate. It is a miracle that these special people pulled together this publication that so many people who need, good, solid, basic, reliable information, AND from the right sources, now have it available to them! And at such a reasonable cost. (I hate to mention what my mold-toxin education and recovery has escalated to!) I know the book is creditable because I have had a personal working relationship with many of the doctors that contributed to this book. They are all outstanding, in their perspective fields, with years of experience and knowledge of mold toxins. These doctors have been relaying the same health ramifications to patients for years, only- the public consciousness has not responded to the potential detrimental implications- mainly by the lack of government agencies and our own family physicians lack of knowledge which is acknowledged in this book. Can this situation happen you- Definitely! Is there a way out- Definitely! But we have to take responsibility for our recovery- it's not just handed to any of us. There are incredibly powerful passages in the book- such as: Would we go sightsee at a known toxic Anthrax location? Would we have allowed our children to go play at Chernobyl, 11 years ago? Hello? There are many items about Katrina that are very quietly addressed as to the whole health of this nation. Not just victims of the hurricane. The Billing's have passed along a gift to Mold Victims- globally. They have been brave enough to voice on the subject of the epidemic that surrounds all of us. The book is reader-friendly, packed with information, but I will add that this only ONE book, and the tip of the iceberg- there is much more that needs to be be made available for the public. As to the Billings recovery protocol- they are on the right path- and there is more than one road to recovery.

Darlene Berube, A TOXIC MOLD VICTIM, 09/01/2007
Mold: The War Within is helping to save thousands of lives
Mold: The War Within In reading this book that Lee Ann and Kurt Billings have written, as a mold victim it has given me added strength, along with knowing that people like this care about helping all mold victim's not only through their personal experience, but taking the time to do research, talk with experts, and other mold victim's by sharing the truth's of how devastating the health effects that toxic molds do inflict on people. This is a confirmation, to all from the experts: Mold Can Make You Very Ill. I have been a mold victim for 18 months now, it is a slow death in my opinion, because I am living the nightmare because I have no way out of my toxic mold environment. I have the medical proof of my toxic mold illnesses along with the professional reports of the testing in my apartment that confirm the toxic molds. I highly suggest that not only mold victim's need to read this book, but also medical experts that are not privy to the proof that the experts in this book have and is documented, along with all those non-believers: Purchase this Book. You would not want your child, your mother, your father, any other relative, friend, co-worker, etc to ever experience what us mold victim's are going through with these proven illnesses. I breath with a respirator mask, oxygen, and take many medications because of toxic molds. I never had a breathing problem in my life and would give anything if toxic molds have not taken away my life like they have done. I can't even let my little grand-children, my sons, my family in my apartment. I can't go to family functions, out to dinner, share holidays, and just putting it simple, Toxic Molds kill every aspect of your life. These people are helping people like me and thousands of others across the states, the experts in the book are helping to save some lives here. I don't want to die, do you. I am too young. This book has given me hope, provided me additional experts proof (along with my own physician's), that could save my life. Darlene from Worcester, Massachusetts

Rebecca Carley, MD ( [email protected] e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ), Educator in Natural Detoxification, 08/15/2007
this book should be required reading for all medical students.
Mold: The War Within is one of the most comprehensive sources I have seen on the deleterious health effects of mold and the mycotoxins they produce. Authors Kurt and Lee Ann Billings also discuss methods of testing for mold, and inform their readers as to how they healed themselves with natural therapies, after learning of the dangers inherent in using a pharmaceutical approach. In my opinion, this book should be required reading for all medical students. But until the day medical education focuses on healing rather than promoting pharmaceuticals, it will be up to individuals to learn how to heal themselves. In the case of toxic mold infections, the research has been done for you, as documented in Mold: The War Within.

Cheryl Anderson, Homeschool Educator, 08/15/2007
The style and format of MOLD: The War Within is very ``user friendly.''
The style and format of MOLD: The War Within is very ``user friendly.'' I feel like I am standing in the doorway of the Billings' home having an enlightening conversation. The multitude of references at the end of each chapter adds a great deal of credibility and turns the book into a collection of readings. The transcripts of the interviews at the end of the book are going to be a great asset to readers.

Melinda Ballard, Policyholders of America, 08/15/2007
Surprisingly, given the complex nature of the subject, MOLD: THE WAR WITHIN is an easy and fast read.
Surprisingly, given the complex nature of the subject, MOLD: THE WAR WITHIN is an easy and fast read. Any layman will find it fascinating and informative. Readers are left with a greater understanding of and personal stake in natural disasters, even those that take place thousands of miles away. The authors add a unique and personal touch by weaving their own Katrina story into the pages. They also exemplify what it means to be an American...turning their personal crisis into something from which others can benefit and questioning the motives of government and special interests.

What People Are Saying
"I edited Doug Haney's book on mold, Toxic Mold-Toxic Enemy, and wrote the foreword for Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker's book, Mold Warriors, along with Bianca Jagger, but I think the book, MOLD: The War Within, makes a significant contribution in a different way. Everyone who is concerned about their health in homes and offices should read MOLD: The War Within. I thank the authors, Kurt and Lee Ann Billings, for allowing to me to make a contribution."--(Dr. Richard Lipsey, Toxicologist, Lipsey & Associates, Inc., Jacksonville, Florida)

- Richard Lipsey
"The book Mold: The War Within by Kurt and Lee Ann Billings is truly outstanding. They personally learned what the flooding caused by Katrina meant to so many families. After months of trials and tribulations, they realized that their family was one among many who were faced with similar monumental challenges. They have written the ultimate "Why and How To" book that confirms the devastating changes that can occur in health and lives because of extensive exposure to molds, formaldehyde (in trailers), and other harmful pollutants. The scope of symptoms caused by such exposures is not fully appreciated by many in the medical profession. What results is that complaints can be misdiagnosed as psychological when they are classical cause-and-effect health responses. This book offers practical realistic help and suggestions so others who have been hurt will know what to do and where to go for the help and assistance they need. They explain why the Katrina fiasco and deception continues to be an open, oozing sore and how the illness and devastating results of the flooding will continue until our government faces the reality of what has happened and takes appropriate and humane action."--(Doris J. Rapp MD, FAAP, FAAP, FAEM, Board Certified in Pediatrics, Allergy and Environmental Medicine, Emeritus Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at SUNYAB, New York Times Best-selling Author of Is This Your Child? and Our Toxic World-A wake up Call)

- Doris J. Rapp
"America's healthcare is on a collision course similar to the Titanic. In their book, Mold, The War Within, the Billings point out the tip of the iceberg. Every major chronic disease has now been associated with inflammation. This means that the immune system is activated in all these diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, joint diseases, Alzheimer's and even obesity. The organism responsible for that activation appears to be yeast organisms that overgrow in people with predispositions due to immune compromise. Yeast are part of the mold family. Katrina evacuees sickened by mold are the canaries in an American coal mine. Every health care professional needs to read this book and understand its implications."--(Roby D. Mitchell, M.D. Specialist in Orthomolecular Medicine and Radio Host of Keeping Fit with Dr. Fitt.)

- Roby D. Mitchell
"Mold: The War Within is one of the most comprehensive sources I have seen on the deleterious health effects of mold and the mycotoxins they produce. Authors Kurt and Lee Ann Billings also discuss methods of testing for mold, and inform their readers as to how they healed themselves with natural therapies, after learning of the dangers inherent in using a pharmaceutical approach. In my opinion, this book should be required reading for all medical students. But until the day medical education focuses on healing rather than promoting pharmaceuticals, it will be up to individuals to learn how to heal themselves. In the case of toxic mold infections, the research has been done for you, as documented in Mold: The War Within."--(Rebecca Carley, MD, Educator in Natural Detoxification, Court Qualified Expert in Vaccine Induced Disease)

- Rebecca Carley

"I have read MOLD: The War Within and it looks very nice. I think authors Kurt and Lee Ann Billings did a great job! The book will be of value to the lay person who might have just experienced a mold infestation, because it contains information from scientists who are active in the field and provides some of the latest up-to-date scientific information in the field of mold. Of further value are explanations, for the novice, of some of the techniques on the procedures that mold inspectors use to examine houses for mold."--(David C. Straus, PhD, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center)

- David C. Straus

-------------------------------------

daisys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always, for years, have felt much better when I go to Colorado to visit family. Last year, I went up to only 3,000 ft. to visit friends an felt much better there.

Then I return to sea level, and my energy drops immediately.

I heard one theory that when there's less oxygen in the air, the body changes to use oxygen more effiently. So, there's exercises one can do to mimic high altitude:

Breathe in for 7-8 seconds. Hold breath for 7-8 seconds. Breathe out in 4 seconds. Do a few times or until you feel light headed.

Posts: 550 | From New Mexico, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Thanks Daisys. I will have to try it! www.intellectbreathing.com I have this device but have not really been well enough to use it. Swimming is good as well as you are less oxygen in usaully as well.

Shoe's biotoxin pathway seems to me incomplete as I would want to find a place somewhere for the neurotoxins that DR K of Washington mentions heavy metals,dental problems, structure etc

wallace

This article gives a kind of summary of Mold Warriors by James schaller from www.personalconsult.com

Why Aggressive Lyme Treatment Can Fail: Focusing on the Bee and Ignoring the Stinger
by James Schaller, MD

I have never been comfortable with failed care. You know what I mean. You do an intake, get some lab testing done, you are given a diagnosis such as Lyme disease, and then you take full and aggressive antibiotics for complete trials. Yet they do not hit the home run you hoped for, and in fact at times you actually feel worse. At best, you improve partially and then hit a wall. Some even take IV antibiotics and still do not feel cured.

Why? How is it that the "cure" makes you sicker and leaves you far short of a return to normal health?

Last month, we mentioned one reason for Lyme treatment failure--Babesia has over 11 species that infect humans and our labs only test one or two. We have also found that Bartonella has at least nine species that infect humans and 99% of our lab testing is fair and only tests for two. I will discuss this more in an upcoming Bartonella textbook. Still another cause for Lyme treatment failure is exposure to indoor surface mold spore toxins found in 30% of USA structures (per EPA). These mold spore surface toxins highjack dozens of body chemicals and weaken your ability to fight Lyme. Are your air ducts dusty? If you answered, "Yes" this may be adding to your illness. Mycotoxins are almost entirely ignored, and sometimes actually naively belittled in advanced Lyme medical care.

In this article, I would like to discuss biotoxins that are not from special indoor molds, but from the Lyme bacteria itself. How often do you hear this discussed as a problem in Lyme treatment? If it is discussed, is it merely in the context of "it might be good to take some cholestyramine to bind up some Lyme biotoxins?" But when I listen to discussions about Lyme's surface biotoxins it is usually clear the reasoning is confused.

I would like to make this critical area of Lyme biotoxins and your ability to remove them simple and understandable.

First, we should not be surprised that any organism has biotoxins because the biological world is teeming with organisms that use toxic chemicals to function and survive. In the animal kingdom snakes and skunks have killing or annoying chemicals. Fish carry toxins in their barbs or their body. Insects have a wide range of toxic stingers and toxic inflammatory bites. Fungi and molds have dozens of toxins that have absolutely no safe dose. Finally, bacteria and viruses have many toxins that serve to undermine host defenses and increase the damage of these infections. In this context, that Lyme bacteria have toxins on its outer membrane should be no surprise. Lyme has over two-dozen plasmids designed to defeat the attacks of the immune system, so why not also have biotoxins to defeat the immune system and undermine the human body?

Simply, Lyme bacteria release more than bacteria debris when they die, they also release highly specific chemicals that are designed to disrupt and damage a mammal's body. With each passing year, medicine and science learn more and more about the seriousness of biotoxins such as those made by Lyme bacteria. Biological toxins like those found in Lyme bacteria have so many ways to harm your body, that it would take a small book to show how they harm humans when released. Yet here are some brief examples.

Lyme biotoxins disrupt the fat cell system and if not removed cause a type of obesity highly resistant to diet and exercise. The critical Leptin hormone increases and creates a type of bloating, puffiness or abdominal distention that is demoralizing to those trying to have a healthy weight.

Lyme biotoxins can disrupt VEGF that make and open capillaries throughout the entire body. These biotoxins undermine VEGF function so your capillaries ability to get oxygen to many types of tissues is impaired. A disrupted VEGF system often leads to profound fatigue and body pains, particularly after exercise or pushing yourself to perform a "full day's work." Similarly, Lyme biotoxins can disrupt the manufacturing of erythropoietin, a crucial chemical that produces red blood cells that carry oxygen to all our body organs. Amazingly, the number of red blood cells does not control erythropoietin levels, but instead it is regulated by low oxygen in your tissues. The body knows you can have "average" numbers of red blood cells, and still have tissues starving for oxygen. That biotoxins can sometimes disrupt tissue oxygenation is not unique, since other illnesses also cause this problem, e.g., kidney or liver diseases, excessively thick blood, inflammation chemicals, nutritional deficiencies, hypothyroidism, infections or cancers.

Lyme biotoxins also undermine the making of MSH (melanocyte-stimulating hormone), which according to Dr. Cone's definitive text has about fifteen critical functions. It controls inflammation, so it is being used to treat inflammation disorders like asthma and psoriasis and ulcerative colitis. It helps repair nerves and makes the natural pain system work normally. Perhaps one reason some struggle with addictions is their MSH is abnormally low--under 35-40. This super anti-inflammatory chemical is currently manufactured all over the world for a wide range of illnesses. After passing the extensive FDA process it will eventually be available in the United States--just not soon.

Another chemical impacted by Lyme biotoxins with some similar abilities is VIP (Vasoactive intestinal peptide). VIP is the topic of over 10,000 research papers and is involved in dilating the heart's blood vessels, promoting breathing by bronchodilation and controlling the immune and hormone systems. However, its role in the brain is the cause for great excitement. It can undermine brain tumors, improve brain blood flow, improve learning and memory, and protect the brain.

The introductory article is only meant to show you sample ways Lyme biotoxins can harm the human body. Do you wonder how effective your body is at removing Lyme biotoxins? You can easily determine your unique genetic ability to remove Lyme's specific biotoxins by ordering a special 5-part HLA inherited gene marker test from LabCorp (test 012542), which is one of the largest labs in the United States.

This HLA test is not the HLA-DR4 test that is involved in aggressive Lyme arthritis. It is also not the HLA-B27 that is found in people with ankylosing spondylosis, various types of arthritis, and some people suffering from psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease or other autoimmune disorders.

This 5-part HLA test is able to determine how well you can remove the dangerous biotoxins of different organisms that live in the oceans, lakes, forests, and buildings. But for our purposes in Lyme disease treatment, we are particularly interested in two patterns--the 15-6-51 or the 16-5-51 pattern. If you have these you will not be able to remove Lyme biotoxins. So when you try to kill Lyme with antibiotics, antibiotic herbs, HBOT, or a wide range of traditional or progressive means, you will release Lyme's surface biotoxins and they will pass throughout the body easily and disrupt and damage dozens of human body functions. Simply, this Lyme poison has no natural body antidote for those who cannot naturally remove it--it will simply stay in your body and damage gene expression, hormones levels, protein function and cause dozens of other injuries. Consider it to be an eternal disruptive chemical poison able to easily pass through water pores and cell membranes.

If you make the mistake of thinking you are still ill because of residual Lyme, and try additional antibiotics at higher doses, you will release still more biotoxins and they will damage your body. Therefore, no one should be treated with antibiotics unless it is known how able they are at removing Lyme's biotoxins. You do not open a drum of industrial chemicals until you first know how well the body is going to survive the exposure as you remove the top! For children who fear lab testing, their HLA pattern can often be determined from their parents. If both parents do not have the Lyme problem gene, then none of their children can have it.

Other HLA patterns exist which will cause Lyme toxins to be released slowly. But they are outside the scope of this introduction.

Further, one often hears that the treatment for those who have biotoxin damage is simply the use of cholestyramine, an old cholesterol medication with broad biotoxins binding abilities. Unfortunately, in reality, by the time most patients with the 15-6-51 pattern or the 16-5-51 pattern or other troublesome patterns get to my office, they have had these biotoxins disrupting many body systems and my interventions need to be equally as complete. The idea cholestyramine will reverse all damage in a few months of aggressive use is profoundly simplistic.

Further, after these individuals are physically repaired from biotoxin damage, they then require very tailored and carefully paced Lyme treatment along with treatment for their co-infections. (The original Lyme biotoxins and HLA pattern work was done by Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker. It has been replicated by a small number of clinicians who understand this medical science.)

Note: Reading this article assumes you have read the informed consent on Dr. Schaller's site. Never self-treat based on this article. Always consult licensed medical and mental health practitioners

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

From www.personalconsult.com
wallace

I would add clay and charcoal can be used externally

Comparing Mold Toxin Binders
Many thinking patients who learn about biotoxins, and especially mold toxins wonder what is the best binder. After modest research they become aware of these binders: cholestyramine, activated carbon, bentonite and celite. So how do they compare? In one study they were compared in their ability to bind fumonisin. Fumonisin B1 is the most prevalent member of a family of toxins produced by several species of Fusarium molds, which occur mainly in different varieties of corn.

Fumonisin is well known to cause many insults to mammals. For example, induced cancers in lab animals have included: liver adenomas and carcinomas, skin cancer, kidney tubule carcinomas, Simply, Fumonisin B1 is highly toxic to both livers and kidneys. It kills cells. It induces DNA damage. It undermines key reactions in lab animals and humans: sphingolipid, phospholipid and fatty acid metabolism is disturbed in and outside the body in all animals and in a single human study. Disruption of sphingolipids by fumonisin B1 causes cell death.

Comparing the Mold Toxin Binders
Cholestyramine showed the best adsorption capacity. It was quite effective at 85% absorption.
Activated Carbon had the second best mold toxin absorption at 62%.
Bentonite clay adsorbed minimally. Even when the amount of toxin load in the water was reduced to a low load of only 13 microg/ml, the Bentonite clay still only bound 12% of the toxin.
Celite was not effective even at the lowest tested FB1 concentration of 3.2 microg/ml.
Cholestyramine was tested in lab rats fed food with fumonisin toxins. Some of the rats had a diet with 20-mg/g cholestyramine. The addition of cholestyramine to the toxin-contaminated diets consistently reduced the effect of fumonisin toxins as tested by their urinary excretion tests.

My Best Wish For Your Health,

Dr. J

Sources:

Solfrizzo M, Visconti A, Avantaggiato G, Torres A, Chulze S. In vitro and in vivo studies to assess the effectiveness of cholestyramine as a binding agent for fumonisins. Mycopathologia. 2001;151:147-53.

www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol82/82-05.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
charcoal are also applied externally.

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

www.cfsunited.com has people who have recovered from cfs:lyme moving away from mold on their messageboard

Wallace

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all very interesting.

I have a chance to move away from a moldy house here on the east coast (doesnt bother my paretns) to one in Colorado.

I think that the altitude might mess with me but the air is much cleaner.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if the F.A.C.T. test shows the ability to get rid of lyme toxins or just toxins in general?

How do you test ability to get rid of mold toxins?

MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please do a search for my post titled:

"Test for Biotoxin Gene"....all of the info is there, including the test number at Labcorp that provides all of the answers.

Best.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Just in case you cannot find my original post:

I only the know number of the test with Labcorp.

You can easily determine your unique genetic ability to remove Lyme's specific biotoxins by ordering a special 5-part HLA inherited gene marker test from LabCorp (test 012542), which is one of the largest labs in the United States".

Check out my post titled Test for Biotoxin gene as it has a few articles attached BUT I think it just discusses Labcorp.

You'll definitely need your LLMD to analyze it because I have no clue. I came up positive for the 15-6-51 gene AND some mold gene (one that doesn't allow my body to remove molds at the normal rate...460% slower than a healthy human.

Yes, I have some "sweet" genes. It's been a very important discovery for my recovery and continued health so I totally recommend it!!

Hope that helps.
Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:

-

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Anyone read Desperation Medicine by shoemaker? This is his masterpiece! He says CFS is defined by exodogenous toxins and can be distinguished from Lyme by CFS,s having postural hypotension(which I have). I think stress can create emotional toxins which we do need to avoid, this Shoemaker doesnt take account of. If you are postive for the VCS test you have a problem.

So not every cfs patient has a mold problem . S says soft tissue trauma creates toxins he says in FMS but so does emotional trauma in my view or at least stops toxins being cleared.

Mold warriors is a little shrill in comparison and slightely overstates the mold issue in my opinion. For some mold isnt an issue but our bodies are still producing toxins that need to be soaked up.

Yep that means a life on csm or charcoal or whatever!

We are poisoned because we have poisoned the planet he states. Yep we are canaries!

This book will cheer you up! its my favourite book on lyme/cfs.

Abx wont kill toxins, he says and he's right.

wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

There is lot that in the book below. It talks about how
missionaries distributed charcoal. An old fashioned book!

A simple remedy. Experimentally I have worked up to 25g daily.
www.personalconsult.com has a few charcoal references.

I take it in one dose as I find that works best in getting what
shoemaker calls an intensification effect.

Wallace

www.charcoalremdies.com
CharcoalRemedies.com The Complete Handbook of Medicinal Charcoal &
Its Applications

Click to enlarge image(s)

History, science, and practical applications of medicinal charcoal
in hospitals and homes, for people and for pets. When and how to
give activated charcoal internally, and when and how to apply it
externally for a broad range of health conditions. 6 in. x 9 in.
(304 pages)

"I heartily recommend CharcoalRemedies.com The Complete Handbook of
Medicinal Charcoal and Its Applications. As a physician, as a mother
and grandmother, as a public health educator for the past 41 years,
I have come to fully trust the efficacy and safety of charcoal as a
simple yet powerful home remedy. This book serves not only as a
reference book of medicinal charcoal facts, but also brings together
a hundred and fifty different charcoal experiences of individuals
from around the world. People need this book. EVERY FAMILY, every
healthcare worker, every traveler abroad, every health conscious
individual needs a copy in their home library."

Agatha M. Thrash, MD - Co-founder Uchee Pines Institute. Medical
Examiner for the State of Georgia

"MOST PROGRESSIVE HEALTH BOOK" 2006 Independent Publisher Book
Awards - Honorable Mention

Judges' Comments:
"Great combination of storytelling and medical information."
"In a world gone pharma-crazy, we need more books about natural
health remedies like this."
"This book presents a world wonder that's almost too simple to be
believed."

SKU BK-01

kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you subscribe to the Public Health Alert?

the info may be on this thread but I am not able to scan the thread to find it at this time.

I would like to get it on line as I can increase the font.

I tried printing out the pages but it was too small for me to read.

thanks

Bottom line...is I am looking for something to send to workmen's comp Dr. O'Neil (AME) to tie in all of us who got chronically ill.

Two of us shared a classroom, one was next door and the other was a person who visited us...management.

Air quality was tested in the building because so many got sick.

But mold was not tested and the toilet between the classroom kept having problems.

Looking back, I am sure the wall behind the bookcase must have been very moldy.

The water would run down the wall and out onto our classroom floor.

They would close the class on those days but they never did anything about opening the wall up and taking care of the mold.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

What are others best books on lyme? Here are my top 3.

Lyme disease Solution by K singleton.
www.lymedoctor.com

My best book on lyme remains Desperation Medicine followed by Healing
lyme by Buhner then the Lyme disease solution there is a nice chapter
at the end on God and Healing.

There is no history or discussion of why people are getting Lyme in
Singletons book which is why it comes in at no 3 in my list. Why are
we getting ill has to be addressed in my opinion. Shoemaker is
mentioned only briefly with no mention of rifing.

Having read the book I know I dont have classic lyme but ME/CFS but I
knew that before.

The book is very good on antibiotics but 500 pages is slightely
misleading as its practically large print, so some thing are "beyond
the scope" of the book.

He is a big fan of Buhners herbs.

The diet recommended is not proved by any studies or whatever to be
better than all the other diets out there so I was not too impressed
by his strict diet ideas. He says everything he is saying is
evidenced based but that does not include his diet.

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

My current working hypothesis:

Early shoemaker, who I very much prefer,(Desperation Medicine) is saying that we wont get anywhere(because of endogenous toxins) unless we induce an intensification effect first. I think there are three things definitely which will induce that CSM, large doses of activated charcoal, fermented Noni.

We need to first deal with the toxins in our bodies! Practically permanently!

We also may need to move.

Then come all the supplements,detox regimes etc I like Klinghardt ideas but there are many others etc Kane etc

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Some more musings.

The archetype of the wounded healer is a long one. I guess the best healers spend time on healing themselves and through the knowledge they have gained then helping others. So there is a cycle of activity then relection and quiet.

I read a recent book by Norman Cousins called Head first:the biology of hope. I think hope and dreams are essential. Which is why Barack Obama is important.

I know this illness is complicated but I feel if we find an analysis of why we are ill then greater insight and progress can follow.

In fact I think its simple: we are poisoned and we are continually recycling the toxins in our bodies. It is less simple admittedly finding a solution.

But Ellen G. White says that Gods remedies are simple, affordable and safe. I think she is right! This is where faith comes in and that just because we are all not rich and afford to go and see master practiioners like Dr K of Washington then we are doomed or unworthy.

Another good book is the Gift of Pain by Paul Brand. We should be grateful for being alive with our symptoms unlike Leprosy patients who can fill no pain and constantly injure themselves. See the reviews on Amazon.

wallace

[ 24. March 2008, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Wallace ]

aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND you can go to master practioners and still not improve (to continue with Wallace's entry) if the healing needs to be in and with the heart.

Another great book is Stephen Levine's book, Healing into Living and Dying. He is masterful in teaching how to be compassionate with oneself and offers many meditations on forgiveness, healing sexual abuse, and much much more.

It as made a profound impact on my recovery process. And on my relationships, especially with myself!

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Thats true I dont know Dr K success rate(Does anyone know?! But to be fair emotional healing he says is key as Gigi pointed out in her posts.

Thanks for the book tip. The co author of The Gift of pain is Philip Yancey who has written another great book " Where is God when it Hurts". Any Yancey fans out there?

How are others surviving their intensification effect on CSM?

My simplified Neurotoxin protocol designed to induce an intensification effect

is:

CSM(which I am personally not taking)

Powdered charcoal(mixed with essential fatty acids)Once a day.

Various virgin oils

Fermented Noni juice and capsules along with further essential fatty acids later in day.

Further supplements/drugs to be taken as needed.

VCS test to be taken to monitor progress if needed.

Reading
Shoemaker -Desperation Medicine
K billings-Mold, the war within
klinghart articles on web
www.charcoalremedies.com

Wallace

Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the link didn't work so I didn't read the interview with Dr. S.

I am a chronic lyme girl. I was also exposed to mold. And, I have the "dreaded genotype".

I have a respect for Dr. S's work certainly - it's huge, but I did the CSM/actos protocol and while it had some benefits, it also ramped up my inflamation. I developed a lot of new symptoms from that protocol - maybe moved toxins around but did not eliminate them (?)...My LLMD has noticed a similiar response to the Dr. S protocol in other female patients.

Anyway, that was a couple years ago.

So, since we are all kind of guinea pigs in this arena, this was the response my body had. While I do believe Dr. S's treatment may be the panacea it promises to some, for me that was not the case.

As far as I know, his protocol does not make room for people who don't respond well to it. Or if it does, I am not aware of it.

So my intention is not to negate Dr. S. and his work, but just want to share my experience.

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yep I thing we know that CSM for many is disappointing, though never tried it myself. So we have to find other things!

Its a long,winding road!

Wallace

Wallace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4771

EFA are important once the intensification effect starts I have ordered this below. We need things for cellular repair. Noni and EFA do this.

This is going to take time hence this is a long term protocol but reasonably cheap

S uses a hormone called procrit for this purpose. Yep its very expensive.

Omegarosa� is a high quality health food supplement filled with extra virgin Rose Hip oil certified organic (ECOCERT) and bio-dynamised.

Omegarosa� is unique due to its balanced and simultaneous content of polyunsaturated fatty acids and natural antioxidants and phytosterols: Alfa Linolenic 36% - Omega 3, Cis Linoleic 44% - Omega 6, Vitamin E and Carotenoids.

Because Omegarosa� contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, it will help:

� regulate the fluidity of cell membranes, increasing their permeability to nutrients; � improve intracellular signalling via the receptors into the membranes; � influence the activity of carrier proteins and enzymes.

Omegarosa� 's main actions include:

� tissue regeneration (scars, stretch marks, wrinkles); � prevention of hormonal problems;

� prevention of cardiovascular problems; � prevention of inflammatory processes;

� regulation of fat level in blood.

As our modern diet is often lacking in these Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, mostly Omega 3, Omegarosa� is a very useful supplement for the body to maintain its vital functions. According to a number of specialists and following recent studies, it has been demonstrated that it is preferable to ingest substances which contain precursors of Omega 3.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement