LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dr. H spoke last night on Lyme: Possums don't get Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. H spoke last night on Lyme: Possums don't get Lyme
lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Dr. H and Dr. B last night speaking on Lyme.

One of the most interesting pieces of information which Dr. H shared is that when ticks bite possums, the possums do not get Lyme and the ticks die.

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it has anything to do with the opossum's lower body temp?

They also don't carry rabies due to lower body temp.

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something to be studied at Columbia, hopefully. [Wink]
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allison Smith
Member # 11631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allison Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is very interesting. When I had Pulomary embolisms (blood clots in my lungs) I had to take and injection called Lovenox, which is made from the mucus from the intestines of possums. That actually sounded quite gross, but it was better to inject it than die from the blood clots. And now they find this out about opossums. Interesting.
Posts: 94 | From Greenville, Tx | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just about to post the thing about possums and rabies - I had heard the same thing from a wildlife expert.

Gee, I have so many fence lizards and possums in my neighborhood, you would think I'd be protected. But no, I was bitten one mile from here.

But any new research possibility is very exciting!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were there any other bits of wisdom from these two greats?? Any treatment advice?

Theresa

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw both of the doctors speak as well. They were both very interesting. I was shocked to hear about the possum thing, I didn't even know they didn't get rabies either.

They mentioned many good bits of info. They talked about how important it is to abstain from caffeine, sugar, smoking and how important it is to exercise to keep things moving. They said "compliance" is going to make or break whether you get better. Dr. H spoke regarding that if you are not responding they will look to see if you have any other underlining orders such as auto immune things etc. I personally am insulin resistant so this will be playing a role in my treatment. Dr. H suggested endocrine panels to look for these things.

He also spoke on heavy metal toxicity and what labs perform these tests etc. Neither one thought too much regarding a vaccine and now I can see why. They said that there are too many strains of bacterias and co-infections to deal with. It sounds like the possum research is our best way to go. To avoid any type of disease transmission whatsoever.

Posts: 157 | From connecticut | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw both of the doctors speak as well. They were both very interesting. I was shocked to hear about the possum thing, I didn't even know they didn't get rabies either.

They mentioned many good bits of info. They talked about how important it is to abstain from caffeine, sugar, smoking and how important it is to exercise to keep things moving. They said "compliance" is going to make or break whether you get better. Dr. H spoke regarding that if you are not responding they will look to see if you have any other underlining orders such as auto immune things etc. I personally am insulin resistant so this will be playing a role in my treatment. Dr. H suggested endocrine panels to look for these things.

He also spoke on heavy metal toxicity and what labs perform these tests etc. Neither one thought too much regarding a vaccine and now I can see why. They said that there are too many strains of bacterias and co-infections to deal with. It sounds like the possum research is our best way to go. To avoid any type of disease transmission whatsoever.

Posts: 157 | From connecticut | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fascinating stuff...Are the opossums immune to the co-infections, as well? Did anyone mention it?

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was glad to hear Dr. H discuss heavy metals and toxicity for about half an hour! He says, in the US, we ingest about 8 lbs. of pesticides per year.

Go ORGANIC ORGANIC ORGANIC! On a daily basis, we are exposed to 300-500 chemicals.

In terms of co-infections, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is in NY. Other co-infections that he is seeing in patients: West Nile Virus, Tularemia, Q-Fever.

I do not believe he said possum are immune to co-infections, only Lyme.

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Lyme in possums? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm???

How about this?

http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content-nw/full/42/11/5076/T4

Which is part of this study:

http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/full/42/11/5076

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement