LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » nasty biaxin/clarithromycin side effects!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nasty biaxin/clarithromycin side effects!!!
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes!

I got prescribed biaxin for h. pylorii (along with amoxycillin). The side effects sheet from the pharmacist sounded extremely safe- mild warnings about yeast infections and diarrhea.

About a week into it, I started having some weird side effects- wondered if I could be having a herx (which hasn't happened to me with antibiotics plus I am doing really well anyway), etc.

It's a macrolide, like azithromycin, which had made me very tired as a side effect, so I googled 'biaxin side effects tiredness' or something like that.

Scary stuff came up, mostly from non-Lyme patients (so it's not a herx on their part). Lots of stories about people taking it for a sinus infection and ending up near-suicidal, with serious psychiatric symptoms, days of total insomnia, pain, rapid heartrate and blood pressure issues, and ER visits!!!!!
http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=50662&name=BIAXIN

While I'm not surprised that a potent drug can have these side effects (someone on Lymenet mentioned hallucinating scorpions etc while on this drug), I wish they'd listed a bit more of this stuff on the side effects warning sheet I got.

I'm NEVER prone to anxiety or depression, but I had moments of panic today, my stomach pain got a lot worse, been sleeping a lot followed by insomnia, and today, a floaty, disjointed feeling like Lyme brainfog and some strange leg muscle pains. While most of these are not super strong (other than my dreams being unnaturally vivid), it's disturbing to have so much stomach pain that doesn't respond to Pepto-Bismol (which is part of the treatment I"m on for h pylorii anyway).

I'm mostly posting this because I think most Lymies would attribute it to neuro symptoms or a herx, but it sounds like lots of 'normal' people have these experiences too.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heres a typical Internet side effects chart. Says nothing about insomnia or tiredness, or about psychotic symptoms, etc:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,155|Biaxin,00.html#sideEffects

here's another:
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/clarith_ad.htm

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on my 3rd round of Biaxin & Plaquenil (6 months each time).

I had read it can cause nightmares, disorientation etc. I can't lie down flat when I'm on Biaxin. I immediately feel something strange & disorienting that might lead to panic. My simple solution that works for me is to never be flat while on Biaxin. I sleep propped up on pillows. I put a thin pillow under my shoulders and another one on top of that. When I travel I take those 2 pillows with me.

The first time on Biaxin was the hardest. Horrible taste, couldn't sleep, chest pain, thirsty.... Now it is easy to tolerate.

hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long before my Lyme dx I made a connection between Biaxin, which I took for sinus infections, and insomnia. Of course my duck rolled his eyes, [Roll Eyes] but I've read of may people here having the same side effect.

I agree with Cave that it could be hitting things that you haven't hit before with other treatments.

I'm currently on Levaquin and having some similar side effects, but not as severe as yours. The insomnia is only really bad during herxes and only for a day or two.

I agree that it would be a good thing to discuss with your LLMD.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MariaA:
Scary stuff came up, mostly from non-Lyme patients (so it's not a herx on their part). Lots of stories about people taking it for a sinus infection and ending up near-suicidal, with serious psychiatric symptoms, days of total insomnia, pain, rapid heartrate and blood pressure issues, and ER visits!!!!!

I would bet big bucks ($$$) that many of these "normal" people had undiagnosed LYME!

That list sounds like Lyme symptoms to me!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I have been on this combo for 7 months with great results. Did you doctor put you on a proton pump inhibitor with it, like Nexium, prilosec, etc.? The trio are suppose to kill H.pylori.

I took 1000mg/Amoxi with 500mg/Biaxin twice daily. I actually had horrible anxiety before starting this which has seemed to ease as well.

I had a horrible case of H.pylori, which it cured and did a great job at killing Bart as well as HME (ehrilichosis) and LD. I am literally fighting my LLMd to stay on this combo I have done so well.

I wonder if you are herxing or if they are side effects? Make sure to talk to your LLMD soon.

Biaxin as been a miracle for so many, but like the doctor's say we never know how we will react until we take it, each of us can have such different experiences.

So sorry you aren't reaping the great benefits from it.

Take care.

[ 20. May 2007, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: lymebytes ]

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night (before I read this message) I came to the conclusion that I am NOT having a herx, it's a reaction to the Biaxin.

My symptoms are unbearable anxiety, mania, inability to stop moving, body rocking constantly... I feel like I'm losing my mind. I think it is also causing my insomnia. (I take my second dose right before bed)

The thing that makes me (and my LLMD) think it's not a herx is that it happens every day about the same time and gets worse every day. (for over the last 10 days) If it is a herx, my body can't take it anymore along with all my weight loss, insomnia, etc.

See my previous thread:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=054606

[ 21. May 2007, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: AndrewInCA ]

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin was awesome for me. And sure, you could have a reaction to it, but everything you guys listed COULD be from a herx.

Insomnia and anxiety {& etc} are lyme and/or bart symptoms.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin gave me some weird anxiety and some other borderline bizarre herxes. I pushed through them all and ended up doing really well on Biaxin. Once the dose was increased to 2,000 mg along with 3,000 mg ceftin plus Bicillin and flagyl, I got better and better. [Smile] Hope it works out for you. If it for h.pylori, consider adding mastic gum 3x per day, and pepto bismol capsules 8x per day. Ask your doc of course.
 -

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought babs could cause some weird anxiety and strange symptoms too or is it just Lyme and bart that do that?

Condor I knew that trout was hiding somewhere. I hope you still have all your fingers after brushing your cats teeth.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has had me on flagyl (250mg one time a weeks) to prevent C. diff.

It may be worth asking about, although this is also a tough drug to take.

The first couple of weeks of doses was really bad (herx wise).

Hope you get to feeling better.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A person who muscle tested me with Biaxin the other day said that it disturbed the norepinephrine neurotransmitter in my brain and screwed up my cortisol/adrenals. All things that could have been causing my problem.

For others - it's a great drug.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Don't forget that you're not supposed to take Biaxin with SSRI anti-depressants.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is effexor an SSRI antidepressant, and what problem does the interaction have?

Mary

Posts: 1026 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement