LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NY Senator Schumer Treated to Prevent Lyme Disease

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NY Senator Schumer Treated to Prevent Lyme Disease
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.wcax.com:80/Global/story.asp?S=6566613&nav=4QcS

Associated Press - May 24, 2007 7:15 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - Senator Chuck Schumer is receiving treatment to prevent lyme disease after being bitten by a tick during a recent tour of dams in upstate New York.

Schumer apparently was bitten during a May 7th dam tour in the Hudson Valley. He and other lawmakers have called for improvements to many small dams in the area to prevent flooding.

He later found a tick, and spotted a telltale "bulls-eye" mark on his leg that is an early sign of infection.

Schumer is now undergoing a 21-day treatment with antibiotics. He said he hasn't noticed any symptoms besides the initial bulls-eye mark, and is being treated "to prevent it from developing into the disease."

Lyme disease is transmitted by the deer tick. Symptoms include lethargy, joint pain, fever, limping and loss of appetite. Even after treatment, symptoms can recur.

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he was a member of Congress that might explain why they just bowed to the Pretzeldent and approved billions more for a war that was declared over years ago.

I think Bin Laden might be hiding under my kitchen sink - I better go look. Gosh I hope they find him fast and put an end to all this madness ; - )

Well now that this Senator might have Lyme it is time they made the rest of the Senate, Congress and everyone in the grand ole White House wear Frontline. Perhaps it was not a Hudson Valley tick that got him but a fellow politician with rabies and lyme.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i see other people on here with tick bites they get 10 days treatment
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

politicians are special so they get longer treatment
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the headline when I turned on my Nintendo Wii just now.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say Oh, Im fine I want someone to look me in the eyes & say tell the truth

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Senator Schumer has been very active in the lyme community and supports the prevention and proper detection of lyme disease.

I wish him a quick recovery and hopefully he will continue to educated others on lyme in NY.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a politician is a politician is a politician....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nan:
Schumer is now undergoing a 21-day treatment with antibiotics.

Good luck with that "cure!" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95343 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Chuck is unfortunate enough to get symptoms after 21 days of treatment, like I did, then I hope he uses his position to advocate for us all as much as he can, and loudly.

Of course, he will have access to the best care from the get-go so he'll probably be okay.

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, isn't that special?

I'm so glad the Senator from NY gets treatment that many "normal folks" can't ........

Sheesh.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugmenot
Member # 7878

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugmenot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Schumer ..... oh no

Has anyone checked to see if the tick is ok?

Posts: 33 | From Oregon | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanilla
Unregistered

Sad news the tick's funeral was yesterday but well attended.
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but he probably gets 21 days of IV therapy.

Not just orals.....

Did he test CDC positive?

If not, two weeks of doxy at 200mg is all he needs (tongue in cheek).

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is a decent Senator, and I hope he recovers completely.

I am glad to hear that he is getting more than the 10 days of
low-dose oral abx that I got with a tick bite and bulls-eye rash.

And if his symtpoms continue after 21 days of treatment, we will
hopefully gain a powerful friend with the type of direct experience
that so many of us share. (Not that I would wish chronic lyme for
anyone!)

OK, perhaps I am being too optimistic -- could it be possible that a powerful politician would be honest about this disease and support treatment for it??

There is less babesia co-infections away from the coastal areas,
and if he did not have a fever, it sounds like he may not have
been exposed to at least that one.....

[ 25. May 2007, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Vermont_Lymie ]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, if old Chuck would get off his Gun Control bandwagon and start working on Criminal Control, he is actually a Senator with a decent head on his shoulders. I've heard his views on many things that I mostly agree with. Very good to know that he supports the RIGHT Lyme information.

He appears on the O'Reilly Factor on a fairly regular basis..... it sure would be nice (for us) if he had a successful long-term antibiotic Lyme story to tell one of these days.......

Sadly, though, if Senator Schumer is symptomatic after 21 days and gets further treatment...... will we ever hear about that part?

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy.......

Like other rich and powerful people, his treatment beyond the 21 days would be a
well-guarded secret. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three governors of both parties have had lyme, the last one without a positive test or an apparent bullseye rash. They all got treatment at an early stage and no one asked a lot of questions about whether the IDSA guidelines were being followed. One of those governors, Pataki in NY, proceeded to veto a bill that lyme activists had worked on for five years. He did this after it had passed both houses, vetoed at the last minute of the last day of the session so that the legislature would not have time to override it.

So, the lesson is that we have a two tier healthcare system, one for them and one for us. Another lesson is that this is not a partisan issue, although the party of Pataki seems more likely to be best buddies with industry (like the insurance industry).

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think so too, Nan.

Lou, maybe YOU should go on the O'Reilly Factor. To heck with Schumer..... [Big Grin]

That's a pretty disgusting story about Pataki vetoing that bill....

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do see something developing here that I've been wishing for all of these years, and I think is healthy....and that is a contempt for governance in general....

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, he may look into Lyme disease MORE now that he has it- and he may even come HERE and read this site!!!!!!!! And as a fellow Lyme patient I wish him, as I wish anyone who gets it, the very best wishes for a return to better health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has already been said that Sen. Schumer has been a friend of the Lyme community. That is probably why he is getting 21 days of treatment. He probably knew enough to ask for it.

With early treatment, it's knowledge that's missing usually. I went to the best doctors in NY and they did nothing. They refused to consider Lyme. My family had those connections in the NY medical community. Look where it got me.

Remember, "the best doctors money can buy" in a traditional sense would only give 1-2 weeks.

I am happy he is getting 3 weeks and hope that is all he needs.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could clone Senator Schumer and put him in Congress from NJ. He is a friend of the Lyme community. He is one of the few in congress who actually does anything.

He definitely has Lyme -- not "preventing" it at this point.

Wish him all the very best.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are not privy to the details but if he is not being treated for co-infections (and he probably is not unless he is seeing an LLMD and we know he isn't based on 3 weeks of treatment) then he very well may end up in the same boat as the rest of us.:-(

I doubt anyone could get though but it seems like it might be a good idea to let him know?

Terry

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son began abx the day he removed his tick & did so for 5/6 weeks. Then within 5 weeks he had mono-like symptoms with low grade fevers......dropped ten pounds.

Babesiosis and bartonella were also discovered clinically. Of course he did not get further treatment for 5 months.

I hope the senator has a good physician.

Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vermont_Lymie:

been exposed to at least that one..... [/QB]

Never heard this piece of info-but very glad to -Thanks for sharing! [Smile]
Posts: 240 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The last time I checked, Oklahoma was about as far from a coastal area as you can get in this country. I got Lymed there and herx on treatment for coinfections, so...I'm not buying that one! [Eek!]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymednva:
quote:

The last time I checked, Oklahoma was about as far from a coastal area as you can get in this country. I got Lymed there and herx on treatment for coinfections, so...I'm not buying that one! [Eek!]
Hi lymednva,

Fortunately, I am not selling! Let me clarify:

Yes, babesia's range is spreading. In the northeast, it is most concentrated along the coast I have read in articles on it.

But that is just a matter of degree -- while endemic on coastal islands in the northeast, you can find it far inland too in the northeast. Note that I said "less babesia" away from the coast -- not none.

There were recent news articles on the spread of babesia inland from coastal locations in the northeast. My knowledge of babesia is partial, and only in this region. There are lots of different bugs out there in other places!

My exposures to babesia came from coastal areas and came with very high fevers after exposure; so I am guessing that perhaps Senator Schumer has avoided that co-infection if he did not have a fever.

He should definitely see an llmd, and someone suggested that lymenetters try to get that suggestion to his office -- that is a great idea.

[ 25. May 2007, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Vermont_Lymie ]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard on the news that Sen Shumer is going to reintroduce a lyme disease bill that was killed last year.
He is a good man, and I hope he continues to fight for us.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement