LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » WILL CHRONIC LYME BE TERMINAL??? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WILL CHRONIC LYME BE TERMINAL???
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Below is the link to some advanced directive and living will information. It includes the option of donating your tissue for research.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=015463

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vermont_Lymie:

...they do want us to donate our brains to science...

quote:
Originally posted by Cobweb:

It's called the "Off With Their Heads Program"

omg...ROFL

[Big Grin]

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carol in PA:
[qb]

omg...ROFL

[Big Grin]

[tsk] No ROFL allowed-this is a serious discussion.

OMG is allowed however-and in fact encouraged to attend.

Carol in MD

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COBBY I GOT MY LEASH AND
WILL DRAG YOU BACK TO OFF TOPIC.

SORRY PEOPLE SHE GOT LOOSE, I'M
SUPPOSE TO CHAPERONE HER!!!!

CONTINUE PLEASE WITHOUT COBBY, SHE'LL BE IN OFF TOPIC.

DOCDAVE

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is a serious thread. But I'm ROFL at the Off With Their Heads Program. Too funny.

Seriously though, Cobby, I am so sorry to read about your daughter's illness and passing. God Bless you.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

thanks Boom-I contribute quite a bit of writing to our local chapter of Compassionate Friends, and I had a story published in a national Bereavement Magazine a couple years ago.

Laughing, crying, writing-it's all cathartic for me. It is not hard for me to talk about death and dying in a serious manner-but I guess because I have faced it head on(or is that head off)-I've realized death really is a natural consequence of living-so might as well live it as best you can and hope you die smiling.

Once you have embraced the death of a child-it is not so hard to embrace your own death.

Sincerely,
Carol

Grief Warriors

trudging their own road to Happy Destiny

Soul paths colliding in mid pain

Life plans fractured by loss

Mending in the fusion of
sorrows shared.

At Compassionate Friends we laugh and cry together at the same time.

OOOPS- sorry dave- I thought it was past your bedtime. I'm just going to the kitchen for a glass of milk.

-

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was surprised to read columbia wants our bodies! last i'd read, they didn't at this time!

also, if you designate your body to columbia, etc., your family MUST AGREE to this.

i wanted my body to go there, etc, but hubby talked to me and said he wouldn't honor that. he wants me nearby so he could visit my grave, etc. i understand that too.

so when we updated our will in march 07 before my hip replacement surgery, i made sure he agree that the money i wanted to donate after he/I both die, goes to LDA as I specified for specific percent as stated in both of our identical wills. he agreed to that.

so this is a very serious subject nor only for us but our spouses/kids. [Roll Eyes]

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost my big bro last year to cancer. I still can't believe he's gone.

God Bless to all who have lost loved ones. Life does go on, and it gets easier. But you never quit missing them.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Boomerang:
Lost my big bro last year to cancer. I still can't believe he's gone.

God Bless to all who have lost loved ones. Life does go on, and it gets easier. But you never quit missing them.

No, you never do. I am blessed to be able to attend grief meetings on a monthly basis-because it is like attending a Memorial .

Grief ,like, lyme disease can be emotionally isolating. How good that we have a place to share.

Ever wonder how your survivors will miss you?
Thinking about it brings to mind a favorite quote that TC posted:

"I will pass this way but once. Any good therefore, that I can do, let me do it now for I will not pass this way again."

[group hug]
Carol

Cobweb
Unregistered

I think the most painful thing you can die from is a broken funny bone which is easily repaired in Off Topic.

Betty-according to Vermont- Columbia does NOT want our bodies-only our heads-which costs less for shipping and handling.

Cobby

[ 09. September 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Cobweb ]

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lou:
People come here for support and honesty and deserve to be able to discuss bad outcomes just as well as success stories. If you think this is discouraging and morbid, don't read the thread. Some of us are going to die from lyme, and I am going to be one of them. I would like to be able to discuss this without other people assuming it is not valid for the forum.

Go read success stories threads if you need encouragement. There definitely can be a range of outcomes.

Lou I hope you dont think my morbid topic was meant to stop discussion cause it wasnt. okydoky Lou [Big Grin]

Dont think because you have lyme it will win either Lou dont ever give up fight the good fight. [group hug]

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SOme of us are sicker than others- and thinking positive thoughts didn't save Amanda Schmidt, age 11, who loved Halloween.

What I find truly disturbing is people who denigrate the truly sick and act as if there is something spiritually wrong with people who are seriously physically ill as if their illness is a sign of spiritual malady. I think that attitude in a support place for illness is abusive and extremely negative. I think it is positive to acknowledge the truth of peoples experience- locally we have had people bedridden who I have visited- and some of those people have been the sweetest most positive people in the world- and there was nothing wrong with their spiritual condition- only their physicality-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to work with Holocaust survivors.

ask them how it was they survived when so many didn't and the answer almost invariably is- luck. no more, no less.

my husband survived 95% odds of dying when he had Leukemia just over 10 years ago. the difference between EVERYONE else with the same kind of leukemia in the hospital he was in for 8 months and himself- besides the fact that they ALL died and he did not, was "luck" too. Most probably the luck of some crucial as yet unknowable genetic difference.

But my husband's attitude did matter. It did not make a difference in what the disease could do to him- it did its best to kill him.

But attitude DID make a difference in staying alive; in several touch and go times when the pain even with iv'd narcotics was literally intolerable, his body was on the verge of giving way altogether and the priest was hovering, he definitely had a choice of staying or going, a choice he was well aware of. Only his determination to stay alive kept him alive.

and yes, the prospect of death feels different after you've stared it in the face.

dilly

Posts: 2505 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Perhpas one of the most influential books in my attitude about living and dying was written by a Holocost Survivor- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.

She and her sister were in the same death camp. Corrie survived, her sister did not. Corrie had a strong personal relationship with her God which she shared with others, her sister did not.

I don't necessarily think my personal relationship with God earns me more brownie points or buys me more time- but it sure makes the living easier as I journey towards my death.

Some answers are beyond our scope of understanding. When Suzanne was age 15 and in intensive care yet again, a two year old was brought in-a seemingly ,normal, happy, healthy two year old-until a brain aneurism burst- she was on life supports- and the day Suzanne was discharged and I brought her home, the family of the two year old was taking their child off life supports-she was brain dead.

Here was Suzanne-a medically fragile child who had survived far longer than anyone expected-going home. While this other family with all the expectations of a bright and happy future for their child were making funeral arrangements.

I don't understand. I felt almost guilty. It didn't make sense to me. So I have found that I just need to accept-life is what it is- I am not the one in control - I am mearly the one who has to keep making adjustments.

It's not the hand your dealt, it's how you play it.

Carol

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol-

yes, many Holocaust survivors-- even the healthiest emotionally and those who were able to survive with all or most of their psyches intact- still feel survivor's guilt, because in the end no one answer why me? or, why him/her?

that said, i do not understand why you bring up the differences in the sisters' faith in connection to survival in a death camp? surely you are not saying faith made a whit of difference in who survived?

dilly

Posts: 2505 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by sometimesdilly:
Carol-

that said, i do not understand why you bring up the differences in the sisters' faith in connection to survival in a death camp? surely you are not saying faith made a whit of difference in who survived?

dilly

I don't know the answer to that either- how much faith makes a difference for others. It was merely a synpopsis of the book.

I do know for me that Faith makes a difference in the quality of my life-and that is something I was able to grasp from reading it.

Carol

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brad Delp was the singer from Boston that killed himself
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Carol- i understand what you're saying.

What i've always found most amazing was that in those depths of hell on earth, some people, whether they survived until the end or not, were capable of remaining who they were.

Faith provides comfort and hope. I can understand why those who lost their faith in those circumstances did so. And i can understand why some held onto their faith no matter what.

what is humbling and miraculous to me is those who held onto their own humanity and even generousity, regardless of whether or not they had faith- for example, who gave away their own scraps of food to save someone else, when to do so was literally a matter of their own life or death.

that is called not just surviving, but living. not many of us do that well even under incomparably better circumstances.

mea culpa. [group hug] dilly

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for savebabe

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95968 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up....

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cobweb...I was on the bone marrow registry, and had to be taken off. Also the same for donating organs. I wanted to be tested to give a kidney to my friend. My Dr. said no way for many reasons including I would not make it thru.

Anyone who has had surgery with lyme knows how brutal it is.

Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will chronic Lyme be terminal? Well, it can be, if you don't get it treated; co-infections too. Mine was chronic for almost 50 years before I started treatment. Been off TBD tx just over 3 years now, work 10+ hours a day, getting over appendicitis from last year and about to enjoy a beautiful, sunny day in a horrible way... Unraveling boom from a warehouse so boats can take it to Louisiana to help with the oil spill...

Laugh when you can and live as much as you can. Technically speaking, life itself is "terminal", so all you can do is what you can do. I know these might not be the cheeriest words written, but it's the truth.

Gotta find my work gloves and get going....

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really great -- the brain donation. I have often thought of donating this body of mine to science but only for lyme research (hell, I have a frozen placenta and frozen breast milk in my freezer), but if I donate to the University here, it would be used for anything they want, including mort science. I have a few dear friends who are funeral directors, and I really respect the profession, but I would prefer my sick body go where it would be better utilized.
Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think very much as Tincup on this subject.

I do think its possible to die from LD. Or at the very least die from complications from it, or just from having your body so destroyed by it that something else takes hold.

However I think it is also possible to overcome LD and live a very long and healthy life after lyme. If that is not possible than so be it.

Like Tincup, I sort of don't care anymore. I know I am going to die. If its not from LD, then it will just be something else. So I don't sit around ruminating about death by lyme.

I think its in God's hands. The decision of what I die from has already been made.

Carol, so sorry for your lose. I think loosing a child would be a much more painful experience than the contemplation of the possiblity of loosing my own life to LD.

SG

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started reading through this long thread and about 3/4 of the way I realized it was started in 2007. Just wondering if all you lymies out there that contributed way back then are still alive?

You'll have to excuse me for making fun. I need a joke to get me through the day.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement