LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Had a back injection and need help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Had a back injection and need help please
Nal
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone.

I had to have a back injection a week ago for severe low back pain that was not allowing me to walk a whole lot anymore without pain. Its from an old back injury I sustained 12 years ago.

I don't remember the exact name of the injection-something like an lumbar epidural injection,where they go into the epidural spacing of the back to give it. There is a mix of meds they put in it. One is a coritco steroid derivitative.

Ok, I know all the cons of steroids. So please, don't scare me here. I am going through a bad flare up right now and I am sure the shot triggered it. My question is will it subside again with time? I only had the one shot (back is doing better). My former Lyme dr (Dr M had to retire here in CO so I have no dr right now) said I could get a flare up from it but said the pro's would outweigh the con's right now.

Now, having the shot in the epidural area of the spine is different than a muscle shot (which is what they wanted to give me but I refused) and is supposed to stay more localized right?

It just sucks that I traded one problem for another!!! What am I gonna die now because I did one back shot?? Im hurting today. [Roll Eyes]

Nal

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME BACK! [Smile]

" One is a coritco steroid derivitative but its not cortisone."

I wasn't there, but I'm sure it contained steroids.

"Ok, I know all the cons of steroids. So please, don't scare me here. I am going through a bad flare up right now and I am sure the shot triggered it."

I think you are correct.

Hopefully, the symptoms will subside....but there are no promises that anyone can make for you.

So did the shot help your back pain? I'm confused by what you said.

If you need help finding a new LLMD, I have a few names for you. I sincerely hope you are feeling better in another week or so!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94843 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo,

Hello. Yes, the back pain is better. I should have been clear-I knew it did have steroids in it too. I just didn't know what else to do. Im just scared now. It doesn't help that its that time of month for me either. So, I guess time will tell.

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernCO
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernCO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nal:

I also had an epidural steroid injection from a dr. f in Co Spgs about 4 years ago, 3.5 years before Dr. M. diagnosed me with Lyme. When I asked Dr. M. about ESI's causing complications with Lyme infections, I was very surprised that he was not familiar with any such problems.

My overall pain level went up within days without any relief from the back pain. The neuropathic pain spread bilaterally to both knees. The only relief has been from the complete/total avoidance of dairy products. Without triggering the dairy allergy, my pain levels dropped to pretty close to what they were before the ESI.

With me, I'm sure the ESI caused an allergy to dairy. That is one possible area to look at: any sort of food allergy.

With the neuropathic pain, infrared heat has been a great help along with hot castor oil compresses. Cranial-sacral therapy has also helped considerably. Fortunately for me, my wife is a licensed massage and certified neuromuscular therapist or that treatment would be out of reach for me.

Posts: 175 | From Colorado | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Well time will tell if this will die down for me or not. I need to hook up with a new LMD here in CO so I am looking into that too. Just so frustrating isn't it?? I mean years ago I would have never thought twice about taking a pain shot to help with problems. Now?? I get scared with whatever I take!

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nancy, i had 2 back injections like yours 9 years ago 2 days before i left/quit work and 3 wks. after; neither did me any good.

i had 22 boxes of things to put away; xmas tree, decorations galore, and files on fibro, cfs, breast cancer, etc. i stored it all there. hubby put it all in middle of kitchen area so i had to work daily to put away or throw things away. no rest for my back. [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frakktured1
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have had some cons so let me give you a pro.

Back when I had my right knee replaced. I started getting radiculating pain in my right hip and lower back so bad I could barely stand it.
I mean it was fierce.

I had an anesthesiologist put in three shots of, a mixture of stuff that had some kind of steroid in the mix, and after the very first shot.

At the time the procedure was called a caudal block. They inject the mixture of meds in the canals of the spine.

Now given that it is very difficult to find Bb in Cereberal Spinal Fluids, which means ole Bb does'nt necessarily like to hang out there.

I don't see why the steroid they used would affect my infection, one way or the other.

As a bonus I also noticed that it relieved pain in both of my feet for some time. About a year later, though, the neuropathy pain in my legs and

feet returned. Of course now I have diabetes2 as well, so the pain there might surely be caused by the typical diabetes2 neropathy.

My exposure to Agent Orange might also be why I got diabetes2 which is one of the diseases caused by exposure to it.

Come to think of it. The reason I have lyme disease...or really for me...the reason it came

out of dormancy, may very well be the affects Agent Orange created on my autoimmune system.

And no, I don't believe the two would be linked. The shot and the diabetes2. I think a lot of us get that down the line with this

disease due to inactivity,sedentary lifestyle, ole Bb messing around in our pancreas and screwing around with our metabolism.

MAN WHAT A RELIEF!
It was like night and day !Almost immediate pain relief! I mean I was wheeled into the operating

room hunched over in devastating pain. I walked out, walking tall, not even a limp!

The two remaining shots only had to work on about 5percent of the pain I had left.

So for me....it worked GREAT!

My llmd at the time thought it would'nt do any good for me and might cause collateral problems.

But no...

I did shortly thereafter get a herpes zoster type erupption on the left temple area of my

face. But no noticeable pains or problems.
Just small bumps.

Oh yea....I forgot to mention the sixth webbed toe ,bilatterally, showing up two years later....LOL

juat kidding...

FXD

[ 14. September 2007, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: frakktured1 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Well today my muscles are still very sore in my arms and upper back. However, my chills are diminishing and I do feel a bit better. We'll see what happens.

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Diva
Member # 12128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nal,

I hope that your back is better and I want to thank you for your post cause now things are making sense to me. [bonk]
In 2005 I was injured at work. At this time had no idea about LYME DISEASE. Hurt back and knee. In December 2005 had surgery on knee found out I had torn meniscus and ACL. Still waiting for work comp to do those repairs. In May 2006 met someone with Lyme she said it sounded like lyme to her. Unfortunely I didn't do any research. Around 7/06 had injection in right Knee. Around this time found a Clinician Review magazine at pain docs and it had a continuing education article on LYME DISEASE. This has turned out to be so informative. Well in 8/06 had back injection. No relief. Well in September 06 my back and other symptons started gettting worse and knew ones started. I became alot more fatigued. Didn't and couldn't go out. In terrible pain even with oxycodone, lyricia, celebrex and a few others. In November 06 I could barely walk. I had to tell my legs to move. By this time I had done a little resarch and requested to be tested. In 11/06 My test came back with only 39 Igm postive. So doc says no. Now this is where the magazine came into effect because it says the 39 kda is highly specific and If even one is postive the clinician should be highly suspicious of Bb exposure. Well I had nerve conduction done in 12/06 now they say I have left leg pheriphal neuropathy. Previous testing done 4/06 suggested radicualpathy. So things would get worse and new symptons would appear for a little while. In Jan 07 noticed knots in palms of hands. They were sore. In March they diagnoised Duptreyns disease. Not !! The hands continued to get worse. Fingers stiff all the time etc. In May 07 after I kept insisting about Lyme and showed her the magazine again she put me on 10 days of Biaxin but also predisone for 30 days. At this time she talking rheumatologist for joint pain in shoulder etc. Well things seemed to get better for awhile. Well in June really started research online and at the library. Even more convinced that it could be Lyme. In July 07 seen civilian rheumatologist at VA and informed her what I thought and she says no Lyme in Florida. I'm thinking you work for VA and you make that statement. Knew it was a waste of time. In Aug 07 PCP started Doxy 100mg 2x aday. Had two or three good days then downhill. PCP now refering to ID. Well ID doesn't accept my INS. So do more research here on LYMENET (thank God )Well I was doing the doctor referal and Dr. M came up as LLMD and went to her for consult and she told me I was on the right track with all the symptons and the one test. So she had me do another test in 8/20/07. Well I just had an appt with her Sept 13 and she said that I am postive for Lyme. I said Thank you and cried. It's sad when you are happy to find out you have a disease but relieved that the search is over. Heres my results My EIA value was 1.56 Postive. Igg 41 pos and 23 Igm and 41 Igm pos. So she wants me to see Dr. C in Tampa. She will treat per his protocol. She sees a few of his patients and she's in Titusville. She was awesome. Already to set up surgeon for port and Home health care. She wants everything ready to go as soon as I get my appointment with Dr. C. Now I have A few questions if anybody can help would greatly appreciate. Work comp is still in ligiation. Does anyone know what or if this diagnois may effect on it. What really got me to thinking was Nal's post. I really didn't think about the injections but it makes since now. I wish I had know about steriod use. Also was in WI in June 06 but don't remember beinging bitten. Would symptons for late lyme show up that fast. I wondering if not had it for years and shots just kicked it up again. I am experencing severe brain fog, cognitive issues as they say I thought I was going crazy. Will list symptons later.
I am worried now about treatment. Was trying to turn all my care over to VA as will lose Civilian Ins in Jan. Don't think VA can handle this as I have been seeing them to diagnois me and they say NO.

I am sorry this is so long but I am so glad that you are all here. [group hug] Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Theresa
[Smile]

--------------------
Theresa

Posts: 16 | From Florida | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! I'm glad you did research, but I'm sorry it took you so long to find a doctor with a brain!!

you said:

"My test came back with only 39 Igm postive. So doc says no. Now this is where the magazine came into effect because it says the 39 kda is highly specific and If even one is postive the clinician should be highly suspicious of Bb exposure."

Absolutely correct!!!! This is what SO MANY doctors do not know!!! And they also don't know about steroids making Lyme disease worse.

--------

Seems to me [if I read it right] that the Lyme dx would have no bearing on the Workman's comp case since it came later..?

Help us out next time and type one sentence per paragraph when possible. Otherwise, it's hard to read. We're all Lymed over here, ya know!! [Big Grin]

Again....

-

Wild Condor's Links and information:
http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 94843 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Theresa,

Welcome girl. sorry you have to be here though really. I so hope this injection isn't my doom now. I was feeling pretty good until I had it. Now I am scared that it will put me in the grave from the flare up it has caused.

I know others have to be on steroids for ansthma and such and I would sure like to hear from them to see how they cope with Lyme while having to be on steroids all the time. Surely some of them get better too right??

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know others have to be on steroids for ansthma and such and I would sure like to hear from them to see how they cope with Lyme while having to be on steroids all the time. Surely some of them get better too right??

=============

In most cases, asthma patients [myself included], take inhaled steroids which are in minute amounts compared to ingested pills of steroids.

Sometimes asthma patients will have to take the pill form, but that's not usually very often and the course of treatment is very brief....like 3- 5 days.

That said, hang in there, Nancy. Don't panic yet!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nal-- keep a diary of how you are feeling right now. it will be VERY important to you if you get better and even more important if you dont. it is essential to start it now post injection.

hope you continue to feel better,
m

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Im just really mad at myself. I knew the risk and I wante to be out of pain so bad. I have felt this bad before (that is a good sign to me since these symptoms are nothing new) but what a set back.

Im just scared that things will get worse. Do you think that detoxing might help to get the steroids out of my system a little faster? There has to be something I can do. What doesn't help is that my montly cycle hasn't kicked in yet and my symptoms also always flare during that time too.

Man, I hate this illness.

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that helped me combat a "Steroid disaster" was staying on abx to help combat the immunosupprive effect of roids.

I also suffered adrenal suppression from roids, so stangely enough, I took Cortef, a roid, to treat it.

Things to discuss with a LLMD and or MD. I found a Lyme friendly Endocrinologist to help.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

I see a new provider on Monday so hopefully she can help. I feel horrible right now-arms and upper back ache something awful. I can't stand this anymore.

Nancy

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement