LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron and fat intake - How much is enough?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron and fat intake - How much is enough?
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I did a search and could not find a thread discussing how much fat to intake to insure Mepron absorption.

I am going to switch to Mepron instead of Malarone.

I took Mepron about 5 years ago and recall my LLMD telling me to take with cheese.

Is this sufficient? I don't want to overdo the fat intake since I already have issues with cholesteral.

But want to make sure I absorb the Mepron to it's maximum capacity short of sticking my face in a can of lard.

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Mepron as well and had the same questions. My doctor said to not even waste my money taking it if I didn't eat a very fatty meal.

I looked up a clinical study the manufacturer performed in order to evaluate absorbtion, etc. If I recall, it was something like 25-30g of fat.

Needless to say, I've put a few pounds on....nice excuse to eat a couple of donuts in the morning and a bowl of ice cream at night.

Posts: 561 | From mass | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son and I took about 20-25 grams of fat with it.
My son would eat a hot dog and a glass of milk or 1/12 tablespoons of cream cheese with a glass of milk or hash browns and eggs with couple tablespoons butter.

I would eat a peanut butter on a rice cake with milk or yogurt.

good luck.. [Wink]

Posts: 6626 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

This is what I do -

I get a scoop of butter and let it
melt in my mouth-
then with the butter still in my mouth
I put the dose of mepron in my mouth
and swish the two together for a while-
then swallow--

You can use salad oil - cream cheese-

A few pieces of bacon or sausage worked
the best for me -

I chew up and mix the mepron in my mouth
real well and then swallow -

The mepron will have a real medicine taste
if you do this way -- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started taking mepron 2 weeks ago. I am on a dairy/gluten/egg/peanut/almond/beef/pork/sugar free diet so it's hard to know what to take it with. I'm now taking it with a fish oil capsule but I don't know if that is right. Anyone know or have other ideas?

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said ten grams of fat.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a good fat like avocado or olive oil with it. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses.

I found a web site that has a detailed fat content by teaspoon for different fatty foods.
It says 1 tsp = 4 grams of fat.

It says one cup of low fat 2 % cottage cheese=
1 tsp = 4 grams fat.

Here is the fat content link.
http://www.canr.uconn.edu/nusci/outrch/pdf/HowMuchFat.pdf

[ 17. January 2008, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Chia Pet ]

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it 25-30 grams or milligrams needed with mepron?

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

quote:
Originally posted by hcconn22:
My LLMD said ten grams of fat.

Oh lordy. Missed this post. Seems to be a discrepancy between what we all are being told.

10 grams is quite a bit less than 25-30 grams!

can anyone find the study discussed above online? I will try as well.

I suppose it can't hurt to eat some ice cream to be on the safe side in addition to a meal, that is if you can get some exercise later as one starts to feel better.

There goes my 15 lb weight loss, the only benefit to having babs. [Wink]

[ 17. January 2008, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Chia Pet ]

Chia Pet
Member # 12399

quote:
Originally posted by Faith6:
Is it 25-30 grams or milligrams needed with mepron?

Sorry, I read KS post wrong. Grams was posted and I put milligrams. I will edit my post.
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I believe that milk fat and butter fat and even beef fat is a good fat. [Wink]
Posts: 6626 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

quote:
Originally posted by Beverly:
Personally I believe that milk fat and butter fat and even beef fat is a good fat. [Wink]

Amen. [Big Grin]
I did find a study, albeit old though 1995, that said adding Flax oil or fish oil helped as well.
The Mepron available now I believe has better absorption.

Here's an excerpt from a Mepron info web page:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/mepron-tablets.html

In one study, 18 volunteers received a single dose of 500 mg Mepron after an overnight fast and following a breakfast (23 g fat: 642 kCal). The mean (SD) AUC values were 93.845.7 and 28877 hr μg/mL, under fasting and fed conditions, respectively.

In another volunteer study where Mepron was administered under fasting conditions, with 28 g butter (23 g fat) and 56 g butter (46 g fat) on toast, mean AUC values increased 2.7- and 4.0-fold, respectively, compared to the fasting state.

Now I am totally confused. [Roll Eyes]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

a good quality (organic) Coconut oil might be easier than coconut milk.

they add water to most coconut milks . . . and it gets expensive.

Fish oils ( and sardines), other health oils mentioned here, too (organic or dairy) real butter, olive oils, nut oils, but not artificial oils or hexane processed oils. not margarines, etc. nothing hydrogzinated - sp?).

Yes, even beef fat has some benefits such as CLA - conjugated linoleic acid. If possible, from grass-fed cattle. If not, try to get from a good source.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement