LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can Biaxin be used instead of Zithromax for babs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can Biaxin be used instead of Zithromax for babs?
creativeguy
Member # 15046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creativeguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Biaxin be used instead of Zithromax for babs? Is it effective?

Do people sweat more when babs is herxing?

Thanks,
Rob

--------------------
"Soylent Green is lymies!!"
- New IDSA Sci-Fi Film

Posts: 58 | From East Coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, my insurance wouldn't cover zith, but would cover biaxin.

I would have night sweats from babs, worse during herxes.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justwondering
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justwondering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Biaxin XL for babesia, along with other meds.

I don't take the generic brand, though, b/c my doc believes it is harder on the stomach for some people.

My night sweats worsen and increase in frequency with the herx cycle as well.

Hope this helps and Good luck!!!

Posts: 209 | From maryland | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also take biaxin, generic, for Babs. it's been hitting it hard.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charlie swears by Biaxin, talk to him about it in chat.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard of clarithromycin ('biaxin') being used to target babesia. It was one of the abx I had for lyme, but it wasn't until I took atovaquone and artimesia anua and huge amounts of garlic, that I really started making progress.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor used biaxin for 7 mths but it did not clear the babs.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HaplyCarlessdave:
I never heard of clarithromycin ('biaxin') being used to target babesia. It was one of the abx I had for lyme, but it wasn't until I took atovaquone and artimesia anua and huge amounts of garlic, that I really started making progress.
DaveS

I used the Biaxin along with Mepron and Artemisia as well. I used generic Biaxin.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also used Biaxin in combo with Mepron, to target babs. I took a pediatric dose, in generic.

Biaxin is a macrolide, it is in the same class of abx as Zith. Taking a macrolide along with Mepron is supposed to prevent the babs from developing resistance to the Mepron.

Biaxin was easier on my stomach than Zith.

--------------------
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again? - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for those of you who took biaxin/mepron, how much biaxin did you take daily?
Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
creativeguy
Member # 15046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for creativeguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My night sweats are every single night for months. Does it ever let up? I've been on Mepron for only 10 days or so. I feel like I have so very far to go. Since starting the Mepron, I sweat now several times a day too. I take Artemesia, just received some Artemisin today and ordered some Enula.

But mostly, my pain has been tremendous lately. Every day has been a real fight both psychologically and physically. I'm no stranger to lyme - had it 8 years and this is my second relapse. Each time it took me either a year and a half or a year to get better. I feel like I'm starting all over again and it's really crushing. This relapse has the worst pain I've ever had with it... and I've NEVER had babs symptoms like this before. My bed is like a pool every morning. I'm sure you all know the feeling. Can babs cause a lot of pain too? I have no idea if the pain is from the lyme or the babs, but it's pretty unbearable sometimes (testicular and pelvic pain are the worst). Can't sit and laying down is hard too at times. Pain has spread to hip joints too.

Thanks,
Rob

--------------------
"Soylent Green is lymies!!"
- New IDSA Sci-Fi Film

Posts: 58 | From East Coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI...

I had night seats for along time, even through most of my lyme treatment...all this time I was on biaxix and ceftin...didnt help sweats. After being diagnosed with Babesia and adding Malerone (Mepron) after about 4 weeks the night sweats stopped.

BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: Pain with Babs treatment.

My LLMD would probably tell you that it's BARTONELLA that is kicking up while you're going after the Babs.

The sweats would be Bart.

He warned me about the pain increasing, and gave me some herbs for Bart while doing Mepron/Zith.

by the way, he said that Biaxin worked in the same way as Zith in treating Babs. Personally, I've had good results with Zith and some very wierd side effects (or herxes) with Biaxin (aka Clarithromycin), so I'm sticking with Zith.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1243 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOPS! I meant the sweats would be BABS!

Sorry!

Cass A

Posts: 1243 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement