LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to expect from flagyl...? (I'm scared!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to expect from flagyl...? (I'm scared!)
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I am interested to hear what I should expect from flagyl?

I am a little worried about a horrible herx from it...but I will try it anyway! [Smile]

Also, what's with the whole alcohol thing? Do I really need an alcohol-free mouthwash and toothpaste?

So, any words of wisdom?

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you want to stay completely away from alcohol! If you have any alcohol while on Flagyl you will regret it. The mixture makes you incredibly sick.

Like everything, the Flaygl herx varies. For me, I had intense pain within hours of taking it. Other people hardly have any herx.

If you have nerve pain, neuropathy or ringing in your ears, call your doctor.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metronidazole was actually one of the easier abx for me, though I have trouble combining it with other abx.

It's still very toxic - I'm just saying I at least am able to last a good week on this one, rather than 2 days, like Cipro.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bernieb4
Member # 14654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bernieb4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am beginning Flagyl soon an am wondering if it's ok to still use mouthwash/Listerine while on it -- it's not like you're consuming the mouthwash.

I know any alcohol beverages whatsoever while on it can result in instant heart problems and death, so if mouthwash is at all risky, I'd stop using it.

I tried beginning Flagyl about a month ago, and it gave me terrible diarrhea and gas, so be careful about what dose you start with. (mine was 750mg/day)

Posts: 98 | From WI | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crest has alcohol free mouthwash. Why even take a chance? You could swallow some, and people have posted who got sick from a teaspoon of alcohol.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KirstenS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KirstenS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl made me very ill. But, I know it is doing it's job in busting the cysts.

It gave me horrible headaches that when the week was over I had fluid coming out of my ears.

I had to take a break from it because of all that was happening to my body.

As for alcohol, they say don't have anything that has alcohol or else you will be come very ill.

Just make sure anything you eat hasn't been made with alcohol in it too.

How long will you be on Flagyl? I was 3 weeks biaxon and one week flagyl. I have been doing this since July 9th.

Posts: 101 | From NJ | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pulsed Flagyl for three go arounds-three weeks off, one week on, three weeks off, one week on...

First round was unpleasant-don't remember specifics-second round was better-and by the third round it was a piece of cake.

Another helpful hint for me was to dip it in olive oil before I tried to swallow it. Generic flagyl, which I took, had the worst taste instantly when I put it in my mouth, no matter how fast I tried to swallow it.

The oil dip however made all the difference in the ease of swallowing it.

Good luck.
I believe in the cycst busting properties of it. My LLMD also said it is used for C.Diff.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about products with alcohol in them...many shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers...

Are they okay?

I've been on it for about 2 weeks. My symptoms got a little worse, but not much. It took 2 weeks to work up to 250/3x day.

Lily

Posts: 219 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InADaze
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InADaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it's ingesting alcohol, but it's true that it takes very little to cause problems.

I had alcohol in about 1/2 teaspoon of a tincture that I forgot had alcohol in it and needed to take something to prevent vomiting.

My husband had to remind me that the herbs were dissolved in alcohol when I was trying to figure out why I was sick.

Posts: 168 | From Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The alcohol issue has to do with the liver.

Flagyl can really stress the liver, and it can't tolerate having to process alcohol at the same time.

So I'd say don't use any product that will require you to process alcohol through your liver. I don't think I'd worry about shampoo, but I wouldn't use the mouth wash.

I herxed hard on Flagyl, but it was worth it. I'd do it again for sure. For me it was the kind of herx where I lost all my energy and couldn't seem to move. I took it with IM penicillin (Bicillin) and it was a great combination.

Also, watch the yeast with Flagyl!
Good stuff. Go for it!

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl for me was difficult although Tinidazole was a lot easier. If you are using it as a cyst buster then look at the research by Brorson and Brorson as their research shows that Tinidazole is better tollerated by most patients and actually may be more effective than Flagyl (see page 2 of document)

http://www.im.microbios.org/26june04/09%20Brorson.pdf

As you are aprehensive about Flagyl perhaps as a starting point you could consider tinidazole as you will get less side effects.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Flagyl didn't particularly make me feel any sicker than usual. I realized that at one point I had forgotten I was taking it and had actually had a fair bit of wine on a few occasions.

OOPS! But I didn't have any bad effects from alcohol and Flagyl, it seems, not that I would at all recommend trying this out.

erg.

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement