LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Insurance Denial

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insurance Denial
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've mentioned, my LLMD for the last 20 months referred me to Dr. R in NYC for more aggressive treatment/second opinion.

Dr. R feels I need IV abx after 20 months of orals, but today I got the call from the insurance company (BCBS) saying that since I had been on 1 month of orals, there is no need for IV. (Actually I've been on 20 months, so that's mute).

It goes on and on about how there is no proof I have lyme disease and that I've never even had a spinal tap to confirm it? A spinal tap?????? It had so much mis information, i just wanted to cry.

They said they will be sending me a copy of the letter in the mail. I really thought I was going to get the port and the insurance battle would start after the 28 days or whatever IDSA was saying, but I can't even get in the door to get the darn port installed to get started.

Do they purposely do this when they know we are too sick to fight? I just am so darn frustrated.

I understand I wait for the letter and start writing to combat everything they said, but since this stuff was so totally wrong from most anything we all know here, I don't even know how to start.

I have been reading about all the people with similar situations, so yes, I know I'm not alone. I guess I was naive and figured I could deal with the battle after I'd gotten the port and started treatment.

I'm confused, hurt, angry, bitter, and just so fed up with insurance companies practicing without a licence. Why go to a well known LLMD, pay out of pocket for this appointment, to be told that how they want to treat isn't going to hold weight with the all mighty insurance companies that think they are our doctors I guess.

[confused] [bonk] [Frown] [Mad] [cussing] [loco] [puke]

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cathy, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this. I can't even get my insurance to pay for bicillin.

It's terrible how they treat us and yes, maybe they do know we are too exhausted to fight sometimes, but if you can, do it.

Send them everything about Blumenthal and ISDA.

I emailed Lou Dobbs today and am hoping he will take up this cause.

[group hug]

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you appeal their decision?

I am pretty sure I am up to bat next, I have been on orals 24 months and am likely going to need IV, I don't know if my insurance will cover it, I doubt it.

But I will appeal..and remind them that the CT Attorney's General Office has found the IDSA guidelines have found to be flawed if that is what they are basing their decision on, here is a link you could print and send: http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?A=2795&Q=414284

The guidelines are sort of in a limbo state right now..so they should not be able to base their decision on the guidelines, in fact the guidelines were never meant for any insurance company to follow, as each case is unique.

Also, if they insist on going by the Idsa guidelines, I am fairly certian they state that if orals do not show improvmement within 30 days IV is indicated. It doesn't say no further treatment is necessary to my knowledge. Here are their guidelines, you may want to familiarize yourself for something that might actually help you: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/508667#h32

Also ILADS guidelines #40 is important: http://www.ilads.org/files/ILADS_Guidelines.pdf

Also, I am sure your LLMD has seen many denied, can he be of any help?

I am arming myself for the fight too...I hope you are able to get the treatment you need too.

I would also contact the LDA and ask for advice. They may be able to help you find a loophole in the guidelines.

I believe even their guidelines state that if a month of oral aren't helpful that a month of IV may be necessary - it is a starting point.

Don't give up - this is your life.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cathy, so sorry to read this, but NOT surprised by bcbs! my pain in the butt!!

in my newbie package i sent you, look for TIMACA'S letter to insurance company where she was reimbursed back $50,000 plus !!!

i believe you have a current version and a TABLE OF CONTENTS ... SO LOOK FOR TIMACA'S NAME UNDER INSURANCE.

do a search, using EDIT, FIND, and type in TIMACA hit enter until you come to this valuable link for you!!! best wishes! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tic chick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tic chick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went thru the same thing with our insurance and had my husband do the calling, due to my inability to articulate clearly these days.

Is there someone who can help you with this fight? Between my LLMD, my husband and myself,we've recently managed to get approval for one month IV Rocephin. I am having the Picc line installed this week. [woohoo]

Prayers are answered, just not on our time.

Blessings,
Tic

--------------------
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes it's jewels with. � Robert Leighton

Daily world-wide prayers welcome for the Lyme Community - every day at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time and 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time � all faiths welcome!

Posts: 309 | From S.E. Mass | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayasdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just got a denial ourselves. Any one have a good appeal letter template (That has proven effective)? We are swamped and any bit of advice will help.

--------------------
Visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/kayaraigh http://www.lymelightassociation.org LIGHTING THE WAY TOWARD LYME LITERACY. An up and coming organization with the goal of educating the public on Lyme disease and associated tick borne illnesses.

Posts: 52 | From WV | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know so many of us are going through these insurance battles at so many different levels. I guess I should be blessed that even though they wouldn't cover my doctor, they did pick up 20 months of orals.

I think they really hope if they give us a hard enough time, we will give up and go away. Guess we need to keep fighting, but this is such insanity.

Yes, Lymebytes, we are going to appeal this. Just wondering how long this gets drawn out. I know many have fought and won, so I'm not giving up.

Thanks for the suggestions and already working on getting all my ducks lined up in a row. Just would be easier if I wasn't so brain dead and hurting all over. Makes it hard to think straight.

Thanks again.

Cathy

--------------------

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck in your battles against both this disease and the insurance company. I (well, really my husband, it's "his" money) have paid out of pocket for over 1.5 years of IV Therapy for both me and my daughter--IV Rocephin, IV Vanco., IV Doxy, IV Levaquin, IV Zithro.--all at different times. We had to sell a beachhouse we own in FL. It has been a rough road, but our health is much improved. We did appeal the insurance decisions, but at the time we were just not savvy enough and just too overwhelmed with the severity of illness to continue, so we gave in. I hope you are all successful!

God bless!

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you have to deal w/ this crapola Cathy.

You got some good advice here. Wishing you success in your efforts!

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cathy - Oh no! I too have to pay bicillin out of pocket but I know that is nothing compared to IV

Maybe these people can help you?

http://www.healthcareadvocates.com/

you can ask a free question - I think they are even linked in the link section of Lymenet

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent
Member # 12797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cathy,

Too bad you have to go through this like so many of us. I am in the middle of an appeal right now with Independence Blue Cross in Philadelphia PA.

They denied IV ABX stating that "I had IV therapy last year for 28 days so I should be fine"

And I still test positive for Lyme!

My eyes are starting to be affected by this. I have bad floaters and a test shows thickening of my retinas.

It took 5 months to get them to approve a Spect scan. The Spect showed "focal perfusion in each cerebral hemisphere"

There should be no question about IV therapy for me!

I applaud the city Attorney of Los Angeles for launching an investigation into unfair business practices by insurance companies. This should happen nation wide!

We just have to keep fighting!!

Best of luck to you!!!

Brent

Posts: 12 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I moved up 2 threads in the General support forum which have 2 really good letters you can use for examples to fight your insurance company denial.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good luck Cathy with this appeal

I understand what you are feeling right now

I was denied IV last fall/winter and did not
appeal

I wanted to but could not write the letter

it sounds like you have a better support system
than I had and I wish you the best here

i am so sorry that i did not fight this - but
at the time i was just too ill

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post couldn't have come at a better time. I am worried sick about starting treatment (aug 5th). I also have bc/bs, and I know they are going to give me grief.

I already feel guilty, since my hubby is getting close to retirement. This is going to really put a crunch in his retiring Mine too).

I'm also afraid I won't be able, at times, to work. I work partime.

Good luck to us all!!!

Linda

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Bea,

Thank you for the two letters you moved up. I did locate both of them and have forwarded them on to my husband since my brain is mush. THANK YOU.

It will give us something to work with since right now, all he does is fight them on the phone and it looks like it should be in writing to start getting results.

Abby, Thank you for the link. Will keep that handy as well. Think we should have enough to get a reasonable letter started.

Anyone know how long this tends to go on before they might give in if they are going to?

Thank you for all the support and guidance.

Cathy

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement