LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » to all those with skin issues (ie. dry, sensitive, red etc...) and/or new allergies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: to all those with skin issues (ie. dry, sensitive, red etc...) and/or new allergies
sans0002
Member # 16409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sans0002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

Even when the majority of my symptoms seem to go into remission, I'm still left with a bit of joint pain, stomach pain, skin issues and new allergies/chemical sensitivities.

So I was wondering about those last two.

My skin issues seem to be that my skin is sooo hypersensitive to everything (indoor light, sunlight, moisturizers, etc...), and is pretty dry and a bit red with seborrheic dermatitis because of all of it.

Before everything started a few years ago I had none of these issues.

Also I have a bunch of new sensitivities to medications, supplements and food - and i guess also chemicals like i just mentioned above.

I just got a positive Western blot (both IgG and IgM) a couple weeks ago and am awaiting my referral to an LLMD so haven't started any antibiotics.

Therefore I'm wondering how many people who had either hypersensitive and/or dry skin or new sensitivities to a bunch of stuff BEFORE treatment had things like that go away or reduce in severity with treatment?

Thanks,

--------------------

Igenex IgM Positive: 18 +, 31 +++, 39 IND, 41 +, 45 +, 58 +, 66 +, 83-93 ++
Igenex IgG Positive: 31 +, 41 +

First LLMD appt Oct 3rd to start treatment!
Currently on 500mg Cefuroxime twice a day

Posts: 52 | From Windsor, ON | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are a lot of things you can do -lifestyle changes-to help chem sensitivities

there are a few books out there that address this

things like cleaning your house out of chemicals and staying away from stuff that sets you off

the more you do-the more your body can tolerate

it used to be i couldn't go near the soap asile in the grocery-now no problem

i still cannot wait inside a tire store while they change my tires tho-i bring a folding chair and sit outside...even in the snow!

the books were really helpful to me-there were so many things i didn't think of

detox is important too-and maybe staying away from "waves" - microwave, wireless computer and phones , lots more--- good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mcs is a tough one along with the food allergies,
but these can improve with treatment. For more
information about mcs, there is a website called
mcssurviviors.

Also, detox baths with epsom salts are good. Buffered vitamin c drink (a 1/2 to a tsp of powder to cup of water) helps with reactions. Avoidance of chemicals like solvents, perfumes,
etc. is critical to reduce the toxin load in your body.

Do you have a yeast issue? Then, an antifungal and antifungal diet are useful. In terms of food allergies, a rotational diet is very good--
rotate your foods (rare are good ones) every four
to six days to make sure you aren't eating the same food until the 4th day at least.

It would probably be good to see an environmental
doctor along with llmd (some are not versed in
alternative medicine).

Drink lots of pure water. Treatment does help,
but if you have a sensitive body, especially to
medications, let your doctors and llmd know. It
is imperative to treat according to your body.

Best of luck.

Artist

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sans0002
Member # 16409

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sans0002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are you guys saying that these new sensitivities are not related to lyme then? - just sort of confused from some of the replies

has anyone had luck with them disappearing or reducing with treatment?

I have my first LLMD appt on Oct 3rd so haven't started treatment yet

But ya my skin goes insane with any skin care products - even ones that are meant for baby skin and or hypersensitive skins

Even though back in high school I could put a ton of any acne product on my face and it wouldn't cause any burning or redness - and now a soothing lotion burns and its very annoying especially during the winters with nothing to put on my face

I've even noticed and forgot to mention that my skin starts to burn/tingle when i sit in front of a computer - i even bought one of those anti-glare covers and it doesn't really help [Frown]

So hopefully itll lessened after a while of being on treatment

--------------------

Igenex IgM Positive: 18 +, 31 +++, 39 IND, 41 +, 45 +, 58 +, 66 +, 83-93 ++
Igenex IgG Positive: 31 +, 41 +

First LLMD appt Oct 3rd to start treatment!
Currently on 500mg Cefuroxime twice a day

Posts: 52 | From Windsor, ON | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme can cause all kinds of sensitivities.
In my experience, it has improved with treatment and recurred/worsened during relapses. [Frown]

I had found that I could tolerate the scent of lavender essential oil and usually natural citrus.

Avalon Organics makes a Lavender Facial Serum that seems to help with dry skin. I haven't had problems with their lavender skin care products.

Recently, I had done a 30-day course of Levaquin (for BLO), which really seemed to do wonders for clearing up rashes & skin problems.

Unfortunately, it must have been insufficient Tx length because the rashy stuff came right back shortly after stopping.

There's a disinfectant called "Odoban" that is eucalyptus-based & doesn't make me want to vomit. I can usually tolerate Murphy's oil soap, Orange-Glo wood cleaner & polish, Distilled Vinegar and Baking Soda for cleaning without getting TOO ill.

I use AuraCascia(sp?) Lavender Aromatherapy Body Spray sometimes to counter other foul scents. The Odoban is great for that because it's scent dissipates quickly and takes the offender with it.

I've also been able to gage how well I'm doing with treatment by whether or not I'm compelled to force my family to live like bats. [Roll Eyes]

I HAVE seen all these problems, that I have learned to cope with over MANY years [shake] , go away for periods of time while I was improving in Tx.

Unfortunately, I haven't seemed to beat all these stupid TBDs YET, but I'm still hopeful that I can be rid of this if I can be rid of Bb & it's buddies.

I hope that you see some relief from all this too when you get your treatment under way. It did take quite a while, so don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen right away.

Best Wishes,
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS-
I just had another thought, though I think it may have been mentioned before. ( [dizzy] )

Drink lots of filtered water with Lemon, sparkling water in glass bottles is good too (according to Dr. Singleton's book and take some good probiotics daily.

I usually like try to take the probiotics with some yogurt or Kefir. I figure that it may do some good to have them accompanied by something I know they like.

That's just one of my personal little quirky beliefs that I haven't (yet) seen any science to back up.

(I also instinctively knew that eggs were not bad for me & that margarine & Nutrasweet were. It took science a while to get around to proving me right on those. [lol] )

[hi]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually sparkling/carbonated water is not good for you. My dermatologist said not to drink anything carbonated because if you have herpes it can trigger them and it is not good for your skin.

Carbonated water can also leach your bones.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Really? As carbon-based life-forms I would think that a little carbon intake might actually be good for us.

If it can trigger Herpes then I guess soda would as well, so if not getting outbreaks from soda, maybe no Herpes?

The bone-leaching thing really has me curious. I'd be very interested in reading any studies you might know of off-hand.

I WILL have to check this out because I just got a case of the Sparkling mineral water. Wait a minute....Sparkling MINERAL water...maybe if there are other minerals present it will not leach from the bones?

I had heard that DISTILLED water can leach and that mineral drops should be added to it before drinking to prevent that.

[confused]

--------------------

herxuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herxuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sans,
This is where I am at now, after getting the bacterial load down.

I can now take a couple of warm baths a week, instead of just showers, as the soaking in water caused me dryness, and extreme irritation, and made the dermatitis/ eczema worse.

I can now use different moisturizers on my face, with no bad reaction. I can now use various hand creams again, they have stopped irritating me, and causing dermatitis.
I have even tried some body moisturizers, had no severe reactions. All this tells me, I am making some headway.

Acne products are very harsh any way, seems it's now burning your skin, the Pathogen seems to alter the chemistry of the skin in some way, causing reactions to the skin, to our usual products.

The acne may go, when you start ABX. ?? I had severe reactions to baby products, I found them harsh. Petrochemicals, Sodium Lauryl / Laureth Sulfates, all affected me, at my worst time.

Can't comment on food allergies, not noticed any.

I was never like this before, so in time you may see improvement. I found things to suit my skin, that got me by, till some of these bad times passed.

Posts: 153 | From England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of no studies but I am sure your could google the subject and find some.

The process of making soda or water carbonated is what from what I understand the bad part of the whole deal.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement