LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Keep getting vaginal yeast infections/restarting meds... HELP!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keep getting vaginal yeast infections/restarting meds... HELP!!
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my 3rd yeats infection within 1 months time.... I don't know what to do about it, but it is the most uncomfortable things. I cant even sleep because it burns and itches so badly.

Why do I keep getting these??

My doc gave me Nystatin but it says it's for Gastro Yeast... I have vaginal yeast infection that needs help NOW.

How do I Prevent this from happening all the time?

PLEASE help!! I am in SO much discomfort... I have stopped all meds because I had ran out on Tuesday... and still havent started them back yet because of this yeast infection... I will start back once it is fully gone.

Once you have been off of meds a week, do you have to start gradually again, or can you just take them like you did before your stopped???

Thank you.... I really need some suggestions on this yeast probelm.

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you following the candida diet and taking probiotics? If not, these will definitely help.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it is that bad.....you may need to take some diflucan.

When my yeast has gotten the best of me,

I've been put on 200 mg of diflucan daily for a week.

Then 200mg twice a week after that.

You must watch your diet very carefully.

Make sure you are taking a good probiotic as well.

As part of my Lyme treatment, I am on a diflucan protocol.

I take 200mg of diflucan daily for 60 days.

Take two weeks off, then repeat.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Sometimes you just need to knock that yeast load down and start over.

Watch out for a yeast herx as well.

Yeast die off can cause a herx due to toxins being released as well.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
webmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for webmeg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you on this issue. It's terrible. Been dealing with it, too. Diflucan does help. And I agree with Geneal that sometimes you do need to "start over".

Diflucan will attack the lyme as well as help you with your yeast issue. I stopped antibiotics for a week or so and just took Diflucan and increased my probiotic intake. For me, I also stopped taking The Pill which seemed to help a bit although I'm still not rid of yeast completely.

I did have a Herx the first time I took Diflucan, got extreme fatigue after a day on it (I don't usually have fatigue). It was noticeable but a couple hour nap did the trick.

Perhaps your doctor will give you a good dose of Diflucan for a week or two, then introduce antibiotics again. Usually you'll do at least 3 or 4 days of Diflucan in addition to your abx to help control this problem. I'm doing that now and it's helped tremendously.

Really watch your sugar intake. Hope you feel better soon!

~webmeg

Posts: 257 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for your suggestions!!

I just took a dose of diflucan from my GYN... She only gave me 1 dose... ahhh whatever!! BUT right after taking, I am NOT feeling well with symptoms increase (lyme symptoms I guess). [Frown]

My PA gave me Oral Nystatin to take, but I thought that was for intestinal yeast??

Again, Thank you and already starting to feel a little better... down there!! [Wink]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, diet is very important. I will get vaginal yeast on a poor diet even when I'm not on ABX.

I get this if I don't take Diflucan. I just went back on ABX and I'm taking it every few days. Last time on ABX I worked up to 200mg every day or I would get vaginal yeast. I can't affort to get this as it increases the major pain that I already have in that area. (ugh!)

Probiotics are helpful too.

A product called "Yeast Arrest" which is a boric acid supository can be purchased on line and that works fairly well, too.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shandy,

I've had to contend with yeast for many years -- even before I was diagnosed with Lyme. If you're experiencing alot of vaginal yeast symptoms, then the chances are high that the yeast is also overpopulated in your GI tract. That's where the Nystatin can help. Diflucan is another great antifungal and that will work systemically, throughout the body.

I posted some information about the Yeast Arrest vaginal suppositories, also how to make your own boric acid suppositories (that's the cheapest remedy), and a really good article explaining the condition and also suggesting other natural treatments.

I would not be able to be taking antibiotics if I did not have the antifungals to take (diflucan and/or nystatin) and also the vaginal support products. Using all of these, as needed, has kept the problem away.

Here's the link in case you want to see it:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=020565

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this issue on top of everything else.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UnexpectedIlls:

I just took a dose of diflucan from my GYN... She only gave me 1 dose... ahhh whatever!! BUT right after taking, I am NOT feeling well with symptoms increase (lyme symptoms I guess). [Frown]

symptoms increase is from the die-off of the yeast

one pill is a start... can you call your LLMD for more?

My PA gave me Oral Nystatin to take, but I thought that was for intestinal yeast??

If you don't keep the intestinal yeast down, you will have yeast everywhere. Nystatin is good, but I think you really need Diflucan every few weeks or so .. esp until you get this under control.

DIET IS ESSENTIAL TO KEEPING VAGINAL YEAST DOWN!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

This program was designed by my naturopath, Gary Brewer. I hope it helps others as it has helped me.

"Successful control and elminiation of a Candida Albicans overgrowth requires a multifaceted program as described below. Failure to follow ALL the steps simultaneously will result in slow progress and will lengthen healing time significantly.

The program should be tailored to the individual and must balance the need to eliminate the Candida and deprive it of its food source while insuring proper nutrition for the individual."

Five Steps to Candida Elimination:

1. You must starve it into submission by eliminating its food source.

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements.

[e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

3. You must reestablish the proper balance and quantity of probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract.

[...multi-strain lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus capsules with FOS should be taken between meals to maximize repopulation of the digestive tract by beneficial bacteria.]

4. You must reestablish proper levels of all B vitamins (yeast free) and utilize other immune enhancing supplements to boost immune system function.

[e.g ... B complex vitamins (yeast free), biotin, beta 1-3 glucan, colostrum, maitake mushroom, vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium]

5. You must cleanse and heal the digestive tract to promote proper elimination of toxins and Candida and assimilation of nutrients.

[e.g...chlorophyll, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids found in flax seed and salmon oils, GLA found in borage, evening primrose and black currant oils. Pantothenic acid, digestive enzymes between meals]

Foods safe to eat:

Low carb breads by Atkins, low carb and Ezekiel breads by Food for Life, low carb tortillas, brown rice bread, low carb pasta and noodles

vegetables of color .. green, yellow, red, purple, etc... like squash, broccoli, cabbage, kale, bok choy, sweet potatoes, celery, spinach, romaine lettuce, collard greens, broccoli slaw, brown rice, basmati rice, millet

olive oil, lemon, organic apple cider vinegar, garlic, onion, limit to 1 oz sugar-free dressing daily

eggs, plain yogurt [NO sugar or fruit added], small amounts of butter, UNsweetened soy milk, Keto milk, kefir

chicken, fish, and turkey, baked or broiled, not fried

Snacks....seeds and nuts...pumpkin seeds, celery with almond butter, almonds, walnuts, unsweetened soy butter, roasted soy nuts

Fruits...Granny Smith apples, lemons, limes....fresh or frozen only

Beverages....WATER, herbal teas like Pau D'Arco, Echinacea, and aloe vera

FOODS TO AVOID:

Sugars: white sugar, honey, aspartame, equal, brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses, most fruits, canned fruits and fruit juices, syrups, soft drinks, cakes, cookies, chocolate

White flour breads and products: hot dog buns, hamburger buns, bread sticks, crackers, whole wheat breads, prepared foods with bread crumb coating, noodles, pasta

white veggies: potatoes, white rice, grits, also corn and all canned vegetables

alcohol and fermented foods, including soy sauce and cider, ginger ale, beer, wine, vinegar, sauerkraut, pickles, relishes, most dressings

dairy products....milk, cheese, ice cream, flavored yogurt

red meats, pork, bacon, sandwich meats, salami, bologna, hot dogs, sausage, etc

peanuts, peanut butter, pistachios

all other fresh and canned fruits and fruit juices not on the "safe" list

Beverages: colas, sodas, fruit juices, pop, sugared drinks, coffee, or caffeinated teas and drinks, fruit punch, etc

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyb2411
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyb2411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this problem too when I first started taking abx. Terrible!!!

I found taking normal doses of probiotic tablets wasn't enough and had to increase to 3 times the normal recommended dose.

I also started the anti-candida diet with no bread, sugar, pasta, etc.

In addition, have been taking garlic and pau d arco for a while. I had a terrible herx from these though so would start slowly if decided to try them.

Since doing this I've had no problems.

Kelly

PS: I'm obviously not a doctor so it is probably worth discussing this with your LLMD.

--------------------
Sx Start Jan 08 (test neg, but herxing)Susp Lyme, Bart + Babs??

ABX
Doxy 400mg + Amox 1g Jun - Sep 08
Rifampin 600mg + Biaxin 1000mg
Tinidazole 1000mg/day - Sep 08 to June 08

Currently taking Salt/C 15g (himalayan salt)

85-90% better

Posts: 231 | From Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo has good advice. [Smile]

For more immediate relief of symptoms, there are vaginal creams that get right to the spot. That won't get rid of systemic candida, but it might help you sleep at night. [Smile]

Be sure you're taking your probiotics and following the sugar-free, low carb diet!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow tutu,

You really brought out the BIG GUNS!

Pretty Cool [Cool]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by gemofnj:
Wow tutu,

You really brought out the BIG GUNS!

Pretty Cool [Cool]

Thanks!
Drastic times bring drastic measures!! [Big Grin]

I used to post this all the time, but my access to my links is down and out right now. I have to work harder to bring this up.

If followed carefully, Dr Brewer's plan WORKS.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would just like you to know that information like that is SO invaluable to poor innocent people that dont know what the hell is happening to them!

And it provides a great source of information which equals [spinning smile] comfort in the long run.

Nice.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I battle yeast all the time and I'm not even taking abx!! So I KNOW what it can do!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Lymetoo-- Thank you for that info and taking the time to find and post it for me!!! Much appreciated! [Smile]

I will now read it again to let it soak in.. [Smile]

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

You're welcome! Might be good to print it out!!

The hardest part is sticking to the diet!! [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this problem too.

I haven't read everyone's responses so someone probably said what I'm about to but to knock it down I did a 10 day course of diflucan (did herx). Then I upped my probiotics and added s.boulardii.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement