LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Kidney Stones?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kidney Stones?
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I broke out into hives over two weeks ago. My doctor has had me drinking this Vit-C powder and I've been trying not to exceed 6 benedryl a day, but often take up to 10.

I've had kidney stones twice before. It just occured to me, that maybe the benedryl which is drying me out is causing them. I also read online that high amounts of vit-c can cause kidney stones. I have been taking about 10,000mg per day for the last 2 weeks.

I am pretty sure I have them. The pain is horrible in my back. I know I should go to the ER, but I've been there so many times the doctors know me and think I am just crazy in the head. I don't need to be fighting with them for drugs when I am in so much pain. Plus all those pains always make me sick for weeks after and it's like a few grand just to get an IV of saline and medication. I know what that costs because I've had to buy saline ($60 bucks for 30 1liter case) and $100 for the IV pain meds. Yet my bill will be #3,000 after my insurance pays the other 60%.

But i guess my questions is-Is this information true? Can you get stones from massive amounts of vit-c? since benedryl dries you up-even though I drink A LOT of water-my body can't make up for all that. So is this possible?

Thanks,
L

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dg0207
Member # 15623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dg0207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey smiles:

I had small kidney stones which caused me pain and nausea. Blood levels for creatinine elevated and verified w/ catscan.

Doctors said were attributed to dehydration (not drinking enough fluids) and consuming too much calcium.

I flushed mine over a week of drinking tons of water and cranberry. Since then I watch the calcium/dairy intake and get plenty of water.

Get well

dg

Posts: 69 | From New York State | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smiles,
I saw information about a study that taking supplemental magnesium can help prevent more kidney stones.

I don't know about vitamin C, but I think there is some imbalance with Lyme patients that seems to cause kidney stones.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I feel for you. I think you are right to think that the Vit C and the benadryl drying you out could be the main factors here.

Drink tons of fluids. If you can't hold out... GO to the ER!!

Would it be possible for you to go to a walk-in clinic??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95805 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candlequeen
Member # 17054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candlequeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had kidney stones that were related to Lyme. Through using herbs they are gone.
Posts: 72 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys..It's hard with posts because I can't remember what you all asked and wrote. My brain has been really foggy-I can't seem to remember anything.

I am taking magnesium-and hoping it works..but still in a lot pain..

thanks for the help!

L

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kidney stones are often the result of a metabolic calcium dysregulation and when this happens, proper investigation will include 25 hydroxy vitamin D and 1,25 dihydroxy vitamin D levels as well as serum calcium and parathyroid hormone levels.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islandgirl136
Member # 16696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for islandgirl136     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the hospital not to long ago on the same thing but regarding the hives, I have had them now for 2 1/2 years. I take Clairtin D melt tabs, they work really fast. They last me almost 2 days. I was covered with hives when I first got tested pos with lyme.
Posts: 6 | From florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Isladgirl.I was covered in hives when I was first diagnoised too. I had them for 8months and threw up everything I ate, among chronic muscle spasms, joint pain, virtigo, ringing in my ears,etc. etc. I had kaiser and they had no clue what was going on. After 8 months we decided to go out of network and I just happened to see a LLMD (I had no prior knowledge of lyme or LLMD)

I started mino and valtrex and within 48 hours my hives stopped and 2 weeks my vomitting stopped. I tested positive for babs and erchil too. I was never checked for rocky mountain spotted fever (nor did I know what it was, but as I read through the symptoms online I think it's very possible I have it. I have to wait 5 days to get my blood work back.

This has happened 3 times-always the first week of Sept-I have NOT been on tricycline abx every time this has happened. I am starting to think that the mino/doxy/etc have been maintaining them.

Islandgirl-do you have RMSP? Have you been checked? do you have any co-infections? Unforchunetly zertec, allergra, clartin-none of them work for me. The valtrex doesn't work anymore and benedryl works to relieve the itch but that's it.

Benedryl has the opposite effect on me. I can take 10 benedryl in a day and I have so much energy! I haven't had this much energy in a long time. I still go to bed early, but yesturday I was up at 8:30am did 3 loads of laundry, re-organized my room, cleaned and vacuumed my whole room and bathroom, went out to lunch with a friend, got mani/pedi, and watched a movie.

Now I have the hives again and I know the benedryl is drying me out-and I think that in combo with the vit-c is what caused the kidney stones.

Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement