LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » You CAN go back in the woods and tall grass again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You CAN go back in the woods and tall grass again!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After being Lymed and deathly sick for so long... there were nightmares associated with going back in the tall grass again.

Yesterday.. I was finally able to do it and feel like a NORMAL person doing so. What a break through!

I already had on bug stuff.. because I was being eaten by the no-see-ums.. and went on an impromptu outing back in the woods and through tall field grasses.

I didn't freak... I didn't whine... and I was having fun.

Sooooooooooooooo..

After 20 plus years... I am proof it CAN be done.

Please don't let 20 years of your life go by missing the wonders nature has to offer.

Don't be a ding-a-ling like me. ENJOY life!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO....I WON'T!!!!

and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!!! [Razz]

I picked up a tick from the tall grass around my mailbox, when I bent down to pick up some mail I had dropped. [Eek!]

Now I get the "heebie jeebies" every time I get the mail. [lol]

Thanks for trying to help ease the phobia, though. [Big Grin]

[bonk]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgarrett
Member # 17420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgarrett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't stay out of the woods - I have a 3 year old that loves to explore. We think he had a tick though because of a rash so he had 3 weeks of antibiotics. He seems fine other than the normal toddler boy behavior. I just check him thoroughly for ticks after we get home.
Any good reccommendations for safe repellents to put on toddlers.

Posts: 43 | From md | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All-

I have been reading about cloths that
are treated with something called
-- Bug Off --

May companies are selling it--such as
LL Bean- REI ect-

I have no idea if it works but I think
I am going to try it -- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliG:
NO....I WON'T!!!!

and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!!! [Razz]

Me either! sorry!! I don't walk across grass unless forced....and I'm talking about short mowed grass! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95806 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read something somewhere about nudists not really being bothered by ticks because they prefer to hide under clothing or hair to dine.

Do with that information what you will, I'm not running across my lawn naked either!!! [lol]

[woohoo] [woohoo] [woohoo]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC,

I admire your bravery...and I'm a wee bit jealous too! I can't tell you how I miss nature...
but I'm afraid I'm ruined for life.

Last fall I ventured out into the woods again for the first time in over a year. I'd somehow managed to convince myself that what happened to me (Lyme) was a freak incident. Lightning wouldn't strike twice right? Wrong.

You're not going to believe this but I was wearing shorts - SHORTS!! What was I thinking? I just happened to look down and to my horror I was covered in seed ticks. They were crawling up my legs and all over my shoes. They seemed to be in a race - man those tiny little things are fast!

Well for me it was an instant panic attack. I ran back home, stripped down buck naked in my yard and turned on the water hose full blast. I then took an hour long shower that was so hot it almost boiled my skin off and spent the next three days obsessively checking every part of my body for one I may have missed.

Now prior to this I had been in remission for about two months. Within a week of the tick incident I relapsed bad. Or was it a relapse? I guess I'll never know.

I have since met 12 other women who all have Lyme and company and we all live within 20 miles of each other - I think it's endemic around here.

Many days I sit on my back porch and stare off longingly into the woods and fields that surround my home. Maybe one day I 'll brave the great outdoors again and reclaim my passion for nature, but for now I've resigned myself to life's indoor pleasures...cooking,reading, movies, the Wi!

Thanks to Lyme disease I've become a champion Wi bowler, a dang good cook, my house is usually spotless and I don't know a soul who could beat me in Movie Trivia! Who says good things don't come out of having Lyme disease? (read: sarcasm)

My 18 year old brother has tried to coax me back out into the great outdoors, but unless he has a Hazmat suit he can loan me I'm just not interested [Big Grin]

I tell you what though, the next time you go pick a big fat Catstail for me...blow on a puffy white dandelion and make a wish that one day we can all enjoy nature again without a second thought...

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItCantBeTrue
Member # 17151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItCantBeTrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't even watch people on TV sitting on the grass having a picnic or hiking or what have you without being overcome by the urge to shout, "Get away from the grass!! Oh, my lord, are you people stupid or what?!!"

It's a disorder. [Razz]

--------------------
IGM positive WB through Igenex:
18+ 31++ 34+ 41+ 66+

Posts: 61 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ItCantBeTrue:
I can't even watch people on TV sitting on the grass having a picnic or hiking or what have you without being overcome by the urge to shout, "Get away from the grass!! Oh, my lord, are you people stupid or what?!!"

It's a disorder. [Razz]

I can't either! I worry about actors, cops, searchers, horseback riders.... everyone in the grass!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95806 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ali, i can't stop laughing at the nudist remarks you made!! i'm visualizing things again!! uffda [lol] [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AliG,

That is so funny! From now on I will only go in the grass naked. TeeHee [Big Grin]

Neither one is going to happen anytime soon though! [tsk]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC,

Much that I admire your bravery for being in tall grass, I would not even walk through short grass, if I don't have to, and never would I walk under a tree again.

The thought of being Lymed again terrifies me. I think they call that paranoia!

But, you are brave.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've threatened to blacktop my entire yard !

[Big Grin]

Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Fordace:
I've threatened to blacktop my entire yard !

[Big Grin]

My front "yard" IS blacktopped! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DITTO!

Even driving down the road with my hubby, and we pass a family or a person walking through the grass or sitting in the grass or anything, I always comment on it to my husband about how crazy they are and how they need to get out of the grass. Actually, I never say it that calmly... [Big Grin] I basically yet at them with the window still rolled all the way up. [loco]

I stay on sidewalks and cement at all times. And sometimes even then, I worry.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ohhh, you know what I really hate and cringe at watching: the beginning and end credits for "Little House on the Prairie" where the girls are running through tall grass!!!!!! And the youngest actually falls into it and it covers her completely. Augh! [Eek!]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do go for walks in the parks around here but they have asphalt paths... I think it's important to get some sun every day so I do enjoy sitting outside. I really try to stay away from the grass, though.

This company sells body suits, socks, gloves, hoods that are supposed to be tick proof...

http://www.rynoskin.com/abou.htm

RYNOSKIN was specifically designed to be worn underneath the clothing. This unique concept provides the wearer with comfort, breathability, stealth movement, and eliminates snags against brushes. This body armor will stretch to accommodate all different body sizes.

Unlike all of the overgarment type of insect protection suits that are hot, noisy and snag against the brush, RYNOSKIN is ultra-lightweight (9 oz.), body-forming, cool, and comfortable.

This body suit is so comfortable that the wearer will forget that he's wearing it. RYNOSKIN has an impenetrable fabric and snug fitting elastic cuffs that provide complete protection from the following insects:

Ticks
Chiggers
Ants
Biting Flies
Buffalo Gnats
Other Biting Insects

There are other companies that have clothing that is embedded with some kind of repellant, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I will ever have the confidence level again. Not after being bedridden for the better part of 3 years from this crap. If I am ever able to stand up and walk for 10 minutes, I will likely never get off concrete or asphalt again.
Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call it what you will, bravery, stupidity, knowing better, not letting the ticks win, wisdom . . . could go on and on, for each person who has had lyme, different.

I personally would not advocate a try-again attitude.

I actually did "try again", went to a barn dance, inside of an actual working barn(it was huge!) --the dance/festivities were in the middle arena area, and the horses were all hanging their heads outside their stalls. It was magical. I was just so in love with the whole idea.

I came home, and hour later, found a live tick crawling across my stomach.

I came unglued. Literally, I was in another level of hell, I never thought I'd see again. My son's witnessed my reaction, one of them had a friend over, and I"m sure the embarassment that I caused them won't leave their memory banks anytime soon.

I then called my LLMD, got back on abx, after having been off all abx for about 4 months, and started the mental hell all over again.

I prefer to put that incident behind me. And, learn from my experience.

I was the quintesential outdoor girl. I thought I'd found my paradise here in northern CA. I really did, I"m not making this up.

But, paradise does not exist here on earth. I have no doubt I'll see my outdoor paradise in heaven, and I look forward to it, since I know it's my hearts desire. . .

But for now, I know better, and I"m not doing it anyway.

I view what Tincup describes as her experience as "knowing better, but doing it anyway". There's no ignorance on her part, she knows where the ticks are, thinks/says she was protected, and that one time, that she described, she came away from her experience with no ticks.

Now, getting mail at the mailbox, moving tall grass aside to pick up dropped mail, that to me is a much more likely scenario to get an oh sh*t experience of another tick bite, than anything else.

Go out there, go ahead, but I won't be the one advising you (anyone) to do it.

It's all I can do to walk on a concrete/paved path thru nature type areas, I don't enjoy it at all. It reminds me of what I used to have, and won't have again, and it stinks.

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be in the woods again. If we can't go hiking,

camping, biking or enjoy nature my quality of life

is literally over. I'm working on getting better

and getting my health back so that I can enjoy all

of those outdoor activities again. I don't think I

live in an extremely "hot" area... there are many,

many people that spend time outside here that

never get sick.

I could stay in my house all the time and

significantly reduce my risk of getting sick or

hurt from many, many things...but what kind of

life is that??

I have a picture in my head of people running from

the car to the house and from the car to work or

the mall. How sad...;(

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My clothing is totally sprayed with TKO Orange if I touch any veg. I am a walking advertisement for oranges.
Posts: 13070 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't go outside without putting on my tall boots which i spray with Dr Bronner's Peppermint castile soap diluted in water, carrying a spray bottle with me at all times. Wherever i want to go, if it's grass, i have to cut a path first with grass clippers. If it's woods, i have to cut more of a path with branch clippers too; so the areas i visit are limited to where i've cleared a way.
Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it, Tincup! I'm with you and Pammy. I just can't wait to get to the woods again.

Get out and do what you can, when you can.

I just wish I could walk in the woods - I can't walk around my yard now without extreme fatigue.

Y'all won't go into the woods again! My husband thinks he's gonna hunt during muzzle loading season - I think it's now. I'm just laughing. I don't think he can stand the recoil - he'll be moaning and groaning for days.

But if he's driving, I'm going to the woods. And I'm gonna love it like I always have. There are so few natural pleasures - for me it's being in the woods or on an island at the beach.

Covered with my sunscreen, bug repellent, long pants and shirt, hat - whatever I have to do - it's worth it.

Enjoy what you can!

Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am far more afraid of stinging insects than of ticks these days. Lyme has altered my immune system so that I am allergic to everything. Doesn't anyone but me have this problem?

The bugs seem to know I am allergic and come after me to take me out of the gene pool. They are just doing their job, so I don't begrudge them, like the lions that cut the weak zebra off from the herd. But, I've been stung 8 times in the past 3 years, and 3 of those required trips to the ER due to anaphylaxis.

Before I read this thread, I had not even thought about ticks falling on me from trees. Our entire lot is shaded by gigantic oaks and there is nowwhere I can walk that an oak is not hanging over me. Now I will be paranoid about that too.

When I first got sick, I spent a whole day deciding if I was going to kill myself or not, since I thought I could not get better (I am allergic to all the antibiotics that work on Lyme and company). I decided not to, at least not then, based entirely upon my love of nature and how much I would miss seeing my flowers, hummingbirds, butterflies, hearing the birds, smelling the rain, etc., so I can see Tincup's point.

So, I tend to feel I have nothing to lose by going outside, but I don't want to go by suffocation from anaphylaxis from a sting....a horrible way to die. I am afraid to work in my garden, because just weeding for ten minutes could and has resulted in my getting stung. I've been stung twice just walking down the concrete driveway to get the mail.

I don't wear anything with fragrance in it. I won't use bug off chemcials either. I have MCS and don't need any more toxicity on my clothing or skin. It is much too hot where I live to cover up in long clothes....I would faint, since I have very little tolerance for temperature variation.

I can understand both points of view here. I am much more depressed since I stopped going outside, that's for sure. In fact, depression has become my worst symptom since I stopped walking outdoors and started doing my exercises at home. I do take vitamin D supps. now to make up for not getting sunshine, but it's just not the same as sunlight and a fresh breeze. Nothing is.

with empathy,

klutzo

Posts: 1267 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement