LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Epstein Barr & Lyme - treatment suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Epstein Barr & Lyme - treatment suggestions?
MaryL
Member # 11997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaryL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our new LLMD has suggested our 12 year old likely has EBV in addition to Lyme due to the elevated monocytes in his blood work.

Is there anybody out there who has successfully recovered from Lyme with the Mono co-infection? Did this delay your recovery?

We have been treating my son since 2004, nearly 2 years on IV abx. We are running out of money & options. Help!

Posts: 81 | From Iowa | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mary,

My titers for EBV are through the roof. I consider myself healthy and active. I take olive leaf and grape seed extract daily..

I hope this helps,

Julia [hi]

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deseret Biologicals has a homeopathic series remedy for EBV. It costs about $50. You have to get it from some kind of medical or naturopathic professional.

Their series remedies are very powerful. They also have a good one for Bartonella and for Borrelia.

I like them because although they can cause a powerful herx, they don't have other side effects or interactions, and don't promote candida.

These kinds of homeopathics, isopathics, and nosodes are state of the art treatment in Germany.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you treat the Lyme...the EBV should go back to normal. Might need some valtrax or Valcyte but treating your immune system is the best way! Most of us have high EBV counts and they go back to normal once you treat the underlying bacterial infection.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mary,

First, I am so sorry that your son has been sick for so long at such a young age.

Have you had his EBV tested? If his IgG is high, than putting him on Valtrex may lower the EBV levels enough to get the Lyme and EBV under control.

However before you start him on antiviral treatment, make sure you rule out the most common reasons for lack of improvement including:

Co-infections: Even if tests are negative, discuss with your LLMD possibility of co-infections based on symptoms. Dr. Burrascano has recently emphasized Mycoplama as a major hinderance to improvement.

Heavy metals: Very common with Lyme patients. The provoked urine tests are supposed to be the most reliable because the proving agent (ie. DMSA) will pull any metals out of the tissues, which will then be released in the urine.

Mold and neurotoxins: I'm not sure what the best tests are. I got the Mold panel from Esoterix. Many patients are finding that cholestyramine (and various alternatives) have lowered their neurotoxin level enough to get improvement with their Lyme and/or co-infectinos.

Immune system suppression: All the above issues will the suppress the immune system, making recovery/remission with abx more difficult. Have you put your son on any immune boosting supplements or general detoxifiers (eg. chlorella). ANYTHING that can lower the toxic load gives the immune system a better chance at working with the abx to eliminate the Lyme, co-infections, and viruses.

If you haven't already, you might consider taking your son to a naturopath to address any of these and other issues that may be hindering his recovery. The additional testing and adding a practioner will cost more money, but may be the key to your son's recovery. If you can uncover and address any additional issues soon, you will save money in the long run on the cost IV treatments and related MD bills.

Best to you and your son,

Erica

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bejoy, just a FYI, I've recently seen the Deseret Biologicals EBV drops for $12 a bottle, not $50. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD and other MD's have told me that the large majority of the population test positive for EBV, even my doctors do.

My LLMDs/MDs believe that bartonella and co infections are very suppressive to the immune system. Once you can get those under control, the immune system should bring down the titers.

I had EBV titers really high and recently it fell back into the normal range but I feel no better or no difference in symptoms/severity.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc insisted via ART testing it's a big problem for me
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deseret has two different things for EBV. One is a bottle of drops that you can get for $12 but the other is a series remedy with several vials which is the $50 that bejoy was talking about.

Just wanted to clarify that for the person asking about possible treatments.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

OK, I'm lost as my doc charged me $25 for just the 1 oz bottle. I later found it online for $12. Which is better? The vials or bottle?
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know which is better. I personally haven't used the EBV ones. I just saw that there were two different ones that can be found online for those prices. I know they have the series remedies and the individual bottles but I don't know what the difference is or if one is better than the other.

Hopefully someone else can answer that for us.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manuka honey (must be the active form). I just treated my daughter with an acute case of mono and she bounced right back. (I can't guarantee the same for your son but it's worth a try).
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauracin..."monolaurin" from coconut.
Fights viruses.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new LLMD says just the opposite - my high EBV and HHV6 titers are aggravating the Lyme. She put me on some homeopathics and told me to add Lauricidin. She wants me to add doxycycline to attack the mycoplasma pneu. Treating everything at once should improve my condition. Isocort is helping my adrenals, and overall, I am doing a bit better.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has put me on LymPlus by Researched Nutritionals. It is supposed to eliminate EBV and also has factors for lyme. It is also supposed to give you immunity to future EBV exposure as well. I'll be taking it for 18 months - one a day for three months and two a day for the rest.

Researched Nutritionals also has a product specifically for EBV. You must be a health care pro to deal with them.

Sheryl

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so confused. There is a lot of good info here but I'm not sure what to believe.

I also have EBV, mycoplasma and HHV6. I just made a list of 6 different treatment options from this thread.

I am already on about 12 supplements. When do all these abx/supplements/herbs just become overload for our systems. Is it possible to take too MANY supplements?

How do you pick and choose which of all these meds to use? I'm guessing it is just trial and error per person...no wonder it takes years to get better [Frown]

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And my LLD told me not to worry about my off the chart high EBV titers.....

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TxLymie~
Look at all your lab results and treat what is most obviously wrong. If you have very high antibody titers to HHV-6, then treat that. If mycoplasma is higher treat that first. Then add in treatments for the other things at 4-6 months intervals, or whatever your doctor decides.

I'm treating 6 different pathogens (besides lyme). We look at my antibody titers each time, and adjust the medications accordingly, changing one thing at each appointment.

I have seen good improvements in my health by treating the HHV-6, EBV, VZV and enterovirus. We are still working on HSV1, Cpn, and enterovirus.

I take very few supplements.

Tracy9~ I'd worry about off the chart high EBV antibody titers. I'd also get checked for HHV-6 and enterovirus.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement