LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Feels like your heart skips a beat, Anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feels like your heart skips a beat, Anyone?
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone get this? Its like your going about your business then wham a thud in your chest almost like your heart missed a beat.

Then I usually have the feeling like I need to burp or something after or like I'm waiting for it to happen again. Of course, then the heart starts racing either from panic or from the weird beat thing.

Anyone have this? I've been checked out by a heart doctor six months or so ago but I don't trust doctors anymore so I'm a little freaked.

[Smile] Thanks.

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

This is pretty much part of the lyme territory. I know you are wary of most doctors (as are we all, with good reason). However, do you have a LLMD?

Do you have any doctor with whom you could discuss this. Not everything is lyme and it may be good to check it out. Even if this is very common for lyme patients, it's hard to know exactly if your symptoms are this or that. You might try increasing magnesium and B-6 and see if that helps.

Magnesium and B-6 helps me the most when this happens. Calcium, too. Other electrolytes such as potassium are important, too.

I also like heart support such as Hawthorn and CoQ10.

Addressing the issue of stress-related cortisol highs is important.

This book details much about that related to lyme and to Cpn, another chronic stealth infection:

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

=================

Cardiac and endocrine issues are also discussed in this book. By an ILADS member LLMD, this holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

==================

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease.

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD

July, 2008

Four pages

===============

This details accounts of a patient who had chronic Cpn (Chlamydia Pneumonia) and what he found that helped the cardiac issues. His experiences mirror those of lyme patients.

http://tinyurl.com/69c53g

Death by Deception: Unmasking Heart Failure

- by Dick Quinn, Shannon Quinn, Colin Quinn and Al Watson.

(4 customer reviews)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

www.vrp.com/Search.aspx?page=LIST&search_in=articles&free_text|1226344349988=cardiac

Vitamin Research Products - Article Search: cardiac

Links to 23 articles. The first three of those:

D-Ribose: Building Block for a Healthy Heart

Maintaining a Healthy Heart Rhythm: Cardiac Risk Factors Extend Beyond Cholesterol -- By: Chris D. Meletis, ND

Magnesium: The Key to Health and Life --By James South, M.A.

Fish oil, and other articles of interest follow.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have had this! Most recently, I had frequent fluttering feelings though, and sometimes I also have to burp after.

I've read that a huge thud in the chest is actually a PVC. When that has happened to me, usually my heart races afterward. PVC's are usually benign, I read of one person who was having thousands a week and was still alive. I couldn't stand that, when it happens to me, it's almost painful. I haven't had the huge thud since July though thankfully.

Please take care, I know it's scary, especially if you already have anxiety.

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1619 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

When this happens, see if you can put on soothing music but selections that have a distinct and steady cadence - not just ambient music. Mozart is the best. Also great is music in 3/4 time, such as waltzes.

Certain musical passages can actually help with calibrating the heart rhythm. At least, it gives you a rhythm to sort of track like a guide.

But, avoid headphones and iPods sort of personal player on your person. There is some recent concern that they may disrupt heart rhythm for some patients.

You may also want to stay a good distance from cell phones, avoid places wired with WiFi or other wireless computer systems, etc.

Hope this gets better.

-

Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow great info Keebler Thanks. I'm a Chopin fan myself [Smile]

I would like to take some Magnesium but am afraid to with the doxy, do you take doxy with mag?

I am seeing an LLMD and I did tell him this and he didn't seem concerned. I think he is a great doc but I'm jaded and I can't seem to trust ANYONE with my health 100% I'm constantly questioning everyone. Its horrible.

Ocean,

Thank you for your input as well, how did you get it to stop? Just with Lyme treatment?

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, these are heart palpitations.

They were one of my really bad first symptoms. Sometimes I'd have them continously one after the other. One time at work it was so bad, I felt like I couldn't get a breath in edge-wise and felt like I would faint. Thankfully it quit.

But it still happens... NOT as much as it did, thank goodness. I'm also on a beta blocker for tachycardia and that helps the palps as well.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Geet,

As for not trusting your LLMD, I would trust him over trusting anything I say. We are all (mostly) amateurs here, presently some first hand info. but mostly 2nd or 3rd hand research. If you found your LLMD through other lyme patients who got better, that says a lot.

I know we have all had dozens of nightmare experiences with many kinds of doctor who were supposed to be tops in their field.

Still, there are some good doctors out there. I truly hope you have one whom you can trust. It may take time, but I hope this works out. If not, please know that excellence does still exist. Really.

--

According to the recent supplement suggestions by a top LLMD, yes, you can take magnesium while on abx for lyme treatment.

See page two, #6:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease.

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD

July, 2008

Four pages

-

[ 11. November 2008, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler!!!

Your right I do need to trust more.

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some meds can contribute to PVC's.

Such as rifampin and/or diflucan.

I get them now after taking diflucan.

So...I've adjusted my meds and spoke with my LLMD about it.

Magnesium definitely helps.

Just take all supplements/probiotics at least two hours away from the doxy.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had PVC's and tachycardia. Lyme treatment did seem to help but, then again, I was going through menopause, so it might have been hormones.

Many many women have these for hormonal reasons. Don't know if you are female, or what your age is, but it happens esp. at times of hormonal changes.
When I took my 24 hour holter monitor back, all the women in the cardio dept. told me they had them too!

These are almost all benign and a holter monitor could reassure you on this. My doctor offered me beta-blockers for comfort, but they made me feel horrible. We talked about an alternative, and so for a few years, I took a tiny, tiny dose of xanax premenstrually when the heart stuff got bad. It helped with the secondary panic. I only took the xanax (1/4 of the lowest .25 pill) once or twice a month.

I used to lie down on my back reading, and if I put the book on my chest, my heart would make the book jump! Now, in my late 50's I almost never get the thuds or tach., and never, ever for the hours on end I got them in my 30's, 40's and early 50's.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, I've had that too! It was one of my scariest symptoms.

It would feel like a big thump and then felt like my heart stopped for a few seconds and I couldn't take a breath for those few seconds.

Then there was the secondary panic. This has much improved for me with treatment.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.....it would also tend to happen more when I was bending over. Anyone else?
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing, for the burping...this sounds strange, but sometimes air trapped in my upper digestive system seems to cause heart thuds, and breathlessness. I take the chewable Mylanta Gas (simethicone) with me in my bag. It induces burping and the heart thuds and respiratory symptoms goes away. For me, this is related to food allergy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by laura j:
.....it would also tend to happen more when I was bending over. Anyone else?

absolutely. This still happens to me and I've been treating for several months. Not sure why though. When I position myself in a certain way it definitely bothers me more and my heart is more prone so skipping a beat or two

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had heart palpitations on and off from lyme for a while now. The lyme wasn't effecting my heart until a wonderful doc put me on steroids not knowing I had lyme. I didn't even know I had lyme yet. But when the steroids came the heart issues followed.

Now I get them from time to time. I have taken magnesium and potassium together in the past for them.

This symptom has creeped up on me again lately and is very annoying. I have had A sress test, echo, ekg's, halter monitors, event recorder, tilt table test, etc..

The only things that were found were pac's, pvc's and Neurally Mediated Hypotension but the NMH involves my low heart rate more than the palps.

I was having a low resting HR at times andd that was quite scary.

As far as the palps go it wouldn't hurt to have a LLMD run an EKG and maybe give you a holter monitor just to check out your type of arrhythmia.

Good luck.

PS I am having several palpitations per minute right now... [Mad]

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Hmmm...what Shosty says about air trapped in the upper digestive system makes me think that this has been part of my problem as well. I guess I/we should look into food allergies. What kind of food allergies do you have, Shosty?

I do get the sensation of pressure in my upper abdomen when this happens and the heart symptoms with bending over were often after a big meal. That would make sense with why some feel better after burping. I guess I've had the burping thing too w/feeling better after. These symptoms were worse when laying down too.

tickled1
Member # 14257

Improver also mentioned NMH. Maybe this could be a factor with these symptoms as well b/c I have POTS which is similar to NMH and I have those symptoms as well.

Geet3721, do you have POTS or NMH? Do you have low BP?

hopeandhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeandhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine does the same thing. It's exactly like you said. Like it misses a beat and then thuds really hard. Then I anticipate the next beat with panic and it resumes as normal. It doesn't happen that much. I had an EKG and all was normal except that I was tachychardic (sp). I used to have horrible chest pains but that went away with Rocephin....I wish to God that I could go back on it. [email protected] insurances.

--------------------
~*~Lyme POW~*~

I will escape.

Posts: 100 | From n/a | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your relpies!!!!

Shosty,

I went to a Cardiologist right after being diagnosed with Lyme and he did an Echo, Holter and EKG. He said there is nothing wrong with your heart at all.

Since then is when it has gotten worse I was debating about going back and just getting another check up but both my LLMD and GP said I was fine. So I guess I need to take a leap of faith here.

I do get Palps when I wake up in the morning and at other times throughout the day. Also I get chest pains on my left side but this is more in my breast then my heart (I hope).

Oh I'm a 29yr old Female. [Smile]

I'm sorry to all of you that experience this as it is very scary, but its nice to know I'm not alone. I am hoping this will get better with treatment.

To Anyone taking Magnesium or Potassium, how much do you take? Is this something I should discuss with LLMD or is it something that is no biggie?

Thanks for all your advice guys!

Melissa

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt those "skipped beats" for years, finally ended up in the ER. Diagnosed as PAC's (prmeature atrial contractions). Put on lo-dose beta-blocker and it reall hepls. I had a sleep-study and turns out I have sleep apnea, which can be a major cause of heart arrhythmias. But I also have Lye, which can cause that as well.

On top of that, I've had episodes of Tachycardia without skipped beats, just pounding racing heart, called PAT's (paroxysmal atrial tachycardia). Once had to take an ambulance to ER, thought I was checking out, I was on the floor, on the phone talking to 911 dispatcher. I am convinced that the PAT's are Lyme-caused, haven't had any since 4 mos. on abx.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CollegeGirl
Member # 17741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CollegeGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just what Laura j described:

"YES, I've had that too! It was one of my scariest symptoms. It would feel like a big thump and then felt like my heart stopped for a few seconds and I couldn't take a breath for those few seconds. Then there was the secondary panic."

I'm really new to the Lyme world, and the only cardio tests I had came back "perfectly normal" but I know what you're talking about and it feels horrible.

Posts: 9 | From IL | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny in MI
Member # 17225

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Jenny in MI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH BOY, THAT IS THE WORST.

Yes, I know how you feel, you are just quietly reading of something and then thud, it feels like your heart stopped and you yell bc it scares you.

My heart has been checked several times and it is fine. I think it is my esophagus or stomach.

The best thing I can tell you is to start a probiotic. Just go to a vitamin store to get advice on which one. Since I started the probiotic this has gone away. I am don't think it is your heart.

Thanks for posting this because it is such a scary symptom. I have not had it since probiotics.

Posts: 63 | From Clarkston, MI | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement