LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Pepto-Bismol ok to take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Pepto-Bismol ok to take?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My stomach is really ripped up. It's my own fault b/c I had a couple of drinks last night. Big mistake! Anyway, I'm on Biaxin and Plaquenil. Is it ok to take a dose of pepto-bismol?

I checked drugs.com to see if there's an interaction and there isn't but I just want to double check on here to see if there's any reason why I shouldn't take it. Thanks!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My stomach has been awful too, so I asked the pharmacist if I could take Pepto.

He said it would decrease the absorption of the abx I was on. I've heard that before.

Not sure if it's for all abx or just the one I was on. You could probably call a pharmacist and ask.

Maybe just take it a few hours after your abx.

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it's OK with biaxin but pepto's a No No with the tetracyclines incl doxy and mino...the 'Bismol' stands for bismuth which is a metal...wipes tetracyclines out.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'm not sure the meds you are taking can go into a stomach when the lining has been irritated (from the drinks). You may need to get your stomach healed some before resuming the abx. An ulcer &/or bleeding could result, depending upon how irritated it is.

Pepto Bismol contains salicylates (from aspirin and from bismuth subsalicylate), it should be avoided in anyone who might have a virus - it could trigger Reyes syndrome. Reyes in not just something kids get, adult can, too.

Many lyme patients also have high viral loads, so I'd be cautious.

Can you ask your doctor about all this? Especially as to when it is safe to put potent medicines back into your stomach.

DGL (deglyz. licorice) and slippery elm are very soothing to the stomach. A little L-glutamate is, too. Too much of that, though, can be too excitatory. Otherwise, it is fabulous to help heal the tissue.

Hope you feel better soon.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your replies. I did end up taking the pepto last night before getting any replies. It helped off the bat but then I woke during the night with my stomach feeling really bad again. I took some Tums which seemed to help a little.

Strange thing is, the last couple of times I've had a drink (maybe once or twice a month), I have a headache 2 days later. What does THAT mean?

I guess I better email my LLMD to see if I need to take a short abx break. I wonder if the break would be a good time to do a 10 day round of Diflucan or if the Diflucan would irritate my stomach even more. Guess that's another question for the dr.

I also did try slippery elm earlier in the day yesterday and it helped right off the bat but not for long. I wasn't sure how much to take though. I took 2 tsp.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peptobismol, biaxin, and amoxycillin are a combo used for ulcer treatment. I don't know what it would do to plaquenil and I would definitely talk to an LLMD first. Perhaps if he/she determines you have an ulcer they'd put you on these meds, which also hit LYme, so you're not just getting an antibiotic break.

Alcohol and Lyme are a big no-no for many, many people, and alcohol and some antibiotics are as well. Sounds like your body is responding badly to it, so come join us in the clean and sober club...

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

After this I'll have no problem joining the clean, sober and sugar-free club! [lol]
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Hey, at the beginning of this, many of us were tossed on the floor by even a few sips. Other than infection, here are a few reasons why:

www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2630.html

Go Ask Alice! (Columbia Univeristy's Health Q & A site)

Question: Suddenly, drinking alcohol makes me sick! Why?

(Excerpts from) Answer:

Factors relating to metabolic tolerance might help explain why you're feeling sick from one drink. Alcohol is absorbed primarily from the stomach and small intestine and metabolized mainly in the liver by an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH).

If insufficient ADH is produced in the liver, the body will not be able to metabolize alcohol.

A second enzyme, aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), also plays a role in metabolism. Some people lack ALDH, which is often associated with facial flushing, sweating, and/or becoming ill after drinking small amounts of alcohol. . . .

Other than metabolism, why else might you feel uncomfortable or sick after one drink?

An irritated stomach: Alcohol directly irritates the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, causing inflammation of the stomach lining.

LIVER: Alcohol increases the production of gastric (stomach) acid, and can also cause a build up of triglycerides (fat compounds and free fatty acids) in liver cells.

Any of these factors can result in nausea or vomiting.

. . . .

Medication: Alcohol can be harmful, even in small amounts, when consumed in conjunction with certain medications and/or other drugs.

To learn more about the interaction of alcohol and medications, check out, "Harmful Interactions: Mixing Alcohol with Medicines," published by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

[That link is: http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/Medicine/medicine.htm ]

. . . .

-----------------------------

And the answer above does not even go into chronic stealth infections that affect every system of the body. Even just the effects on blood sugar and the pancreas are huge.

The Potbelly book does. It is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections. The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects on that from this illness. Singleton's book (The Lyme Disease Solution) also discusses the changes of the endocrine connection for lyme patients and what can help.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement