LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What about starving the little suckers????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about starving the little suckers????
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen any research on what type of food borrelia spirochetes, babesia protozoas, etc live on in our bodies? I understand the whole candida thing, but what about borrelia and friends? Are they adaptable or do they need sugar to survive?

If so, could we starve them for years till they die off? I know, from reading research, starving the bacteria causes them to encyst. In the cyst form, I read they can remain for years but evenually die if they can not come out of this form.

Any thoughts on starving the suckers?

Rich

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent many years abstaining from sugar and wheat, carbs. Maybe solidly, 3-4 years. No borrelia deaths occurred that I am aware of during that time. But it did help me tolerate the disease much better. Maybe it curbs their growth?

I hear dramatic health recovery stories from time to time with regard to fasting... but I am not really sure about this. I don't have enough information about those individual cases.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think the sugar, refined food is more for when you take abx to avoid candida, that is it. Who knows what borrelia live on.

Fasting poses some interesting questions though.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

A body needs carbohydrates (best as complex sugars, preferably from vegetables, low-sugar fruits and health whole grains), good fats and protein in the right balance or that body will suffer.

You cannot starve lyme before your body would starve, suffer tremendous neurological damage and die.

Buhner backs this up in his book, "Healing Lyme . . ."

In addition, fasting can cause neurological damage if an excess of porphyrins is in play. As the liver's Cytochrome P-450 detox system is often stressed from the lyme toxins, a condition known as porphyria can result from excess porphryin buildup.

Fasting increases that - and the damage from it - tremendously.
A steady supply of healthy carbs can help prevent that.

In some cases of those with genetic - or even acquired - porphryia, if it is a life threatening emergency, IV glucose may be required to save a life. That is one case of a simple sugar saving brain cells.

Complex carbs in the right balance is a very good idea to prevent problems. We need to eat 5 small-medium meals a day to help our liver and our brain.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Very good points. In cyst form, they can survive quite a while, long after you damage your body so it is not worth it. In diet, I agree, we still need to eat healthy, preferrably intact carbs such as whole oats, red skin potatoes, veggies, whole, preferrably intact grains like brown rice, etc. I eat a very balanced whole food diet right now with virtually no sugar or refined foods, barely any packaged foods. I stick to fresh foods and home cooked meals. I typically eat one fruit a day, something like a handful of blueberries, a grapefruit, kiwi, or green apple. I used to eat lots of fruit but taking abx and reading Dr. S's book has me cutting back the fruit.

Anyone heard of the Weston Prince study where the guy claims to have beaten Lyme with diet alone? Supposedly just eating meats and veggies, nuts, seeds did the job?

I also hear people claiming to win with a raw diet.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You asked: " . . . guy claims to have beaten Lyme with diet alone? "

This would be a very risky bet. Please read the science on spirochetal infections.

If "Supposedly just eating meats and veggies, nuts, seeds did the job" no one would be at this web site.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't starve the lyme. You would die before they did.

What does everything need to survive? Food, Clothing, Shelter.

You can ge rid of their "shelter" (cyst form) and you can get rid of their "clothing" (biofilm).

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if diet cures, but I have gone into remission twice before (although I didn't know I had Lyme) with diet. Have started eating like my old diet and feel at least 60% better now (changed my eating 2 weeks ago). I eat a lot of fruit, but I also have never taken antibiotics long term, so no risk of lots of candida. My energy is much better, anxiety is greatly improved (although last night I woke up with a start, heard a noise, my husband heard it too, sounded like a wild animal running on our deck), muscle twitching LOADS better. I used to lay down to sleep and the twitching would keep me awake, my legs, arms, face, everywhere! I'm not slurring words any longer, word recall is better.

I don't know what diet does for sure, but it's working for me! Oh, my family had a surprise birthday party for me yesterday, so I had some ice cream. About 30-60 mins after eating it, I started feeling kinda weird, started getting anxiety. So, I'm not doing that again! I learned my lesson!

I drink lots of raw carrot juice (I have a champion juicer) and have been making raw cranberry juice, since I figure it has antibacterial properties.

So we'll see how this helps in the long run. I'm hoping for remission again and since I know now I have Lyme, I'll have to stay on the diet (modified at times) for the rest of my life.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1619 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme does not need iron -- babesia requires iron.

I think both Lyme and babesia require choline -- the reason why the gallbladder and memory both suffer. a good reason to eat eggs -- especially the yolks.

Lyme needs magnesium.

Many people are deficient in magnesium even before they get Lyme -- need B6 to absorb or utilize magnesium. Whole grains are a good source of magnesium.

Antibiotics often deplete many of the B vitamins.

Rumor has it that the mystery bug or BLO needs arginine.

One of the best things you can do other than try to eat organic is to take digestive enzymes if needed and or hydrochloric acid or apple cider vinegar. Many people are deficient in stomach acid.

Protein requirements increase if one is chronically ill.

I think people who have arthritic symptoms may have underlying food allergies or sensitivities.

The good fats are needed to heal the brain and may help with inflammation elsewhere in the body.

Sugar depresses the immune system -- also simple carbs that are converted to sugar.

And I agree -- you can't starve out the bugs. They get the nutrients first before the rest of your body.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: I was able to put the disease complex into remission through a very intensive weight loss program. I lost 50 lbs in 4 months. It stayed in remission during the weight loss and for about 6 months after. It started to re-appear as joints pains and took about 4 years to progress to severe neurological manifestations.

During that time I am pretty sure I was in ketosis much of the time and this may be what suppressed the bugs. I am confirmed as having lyme. babesia and mycoplasma fermantans (I am not however convinced that the mycoplasma is a factor int the illness). Also thought to have a BLO (due to previous fast reoccurance on stopping abx).

It all may have been due to to the constellation of infections but other may have seen the same thing.

It took years of various IV drugs to get things under control. Curerntly off all drugs but lyme symtoms are slowly coming back. Never did get rid of the recurrent flareups which happen like clockwork every 15 days.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement