LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FYI...there is a poll going on in Off Topic re: spliting medical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FYI...there is a poll going on in Off Topic re: spliting medical
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=006854

As Miss Toots also noted, I don't think many will see this in Off Topic...

so, I wanted to help make you all aware of this potentially important poll.

Please cast your vote to make your voices heard!

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea to bring it here, Ms Mel! [hi]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95344 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this Mel. I found out about it on another site, where it was probably you who posted the info.

Putting it in Off Topic is the best way to insure that most members will never see it. [bonk] I seldom go there, and I'm pretty sure that is the case for most others here.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

UP!

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are we having this same discussion and "voting" once again... to separate traditional and alternative posts (on the medical forum) to treat lyme disease?

"A closed mind is a good thing to lose."

If nonstop antibiotics/traditional medicine CURED lyme, destroyed all the various strains of Bb, lymenet would not exist.

I am not saying abx. don't help (they do!)even if you were diagnosed late, but what I am interested in is finding a

CURE - a safe and an affordable one for the masses infected. And "masses" are, and have been, infected.

And I am willing to open my mind to reading about and studying and evaluating treatments others would consider outside the "box".

Whatever works to destroy this pathogen completely without killing the patient and without draining the patient of all his/her limited savings...

That is what is important.

Whatever works...whatever is safe...whatever doesn't cost an arm and a leg (ideally a treatment covered by insurance).

Don't "divide" the lyme community.

Posts: 9402 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IKHDAD
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You CAN NOT seperate the things you are saying you want to.

IF you try you will see.
It is impossible.

We all have multi dimensional treatments and most have mult dimentional minds
that includes all and are open to all.

IT would not work whatsoever..

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
=

Such a separation would be impossible and undesirable, indeed.

If something is good - helpful - safe - I love to read about it here as well as seeing the research and considerations about it.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to cast your vote as well as voice your opinion!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal experience is that treatment is a mixed bag. If many of us are trying both abx and alternative treatments, how can we tell anyone which part of which is doing what for us?

Seems impossible to have a separate discussion, 'cause I don't think the discussion would make any sense. We don't know enough to be definitive about what is going on to even try to separate the impact of various treatments.

I think at this point, all we can do is read, discuss, try, report and see if we can start to make any sense out of what's happening; to see if we can discover any patterns in what people are reporting.

And always to say that this is one's personal experience, and not assume it's automatically going to work for the next person who tries it.

A huge issue in my thinking is people's ability to detox. If we can, we're going to have an easier time and maybe more successful outcome with experiments than those of us who don't detox well.

[ 19. December 2008, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13049 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please split! To those folks worried that this would impact discussions in a negative fashion, I think just the opposite will happen.

Of course there will always be some overlap---it isn't possible to say these days what is definitely conventional treatment and what is alternative. Many of us use a mix of both. But certainly a separation of some kind could occur.

With the opportunity to choose which forum you are interested in at the time, those that wish to can avoid what they want to. People interested in both forums can visit both. I think there would be less nasty postings if the more controversial treatments were separated from the more conservative ones.

Also, people that usually read without posting may feel more comfortable posting if they viewed that forum to be "friendlier" to their way of looking at things.

All in all, I think it is a great idea and would make it easier for all of us to find information and certainly a lot easier for the newbie.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my vote is to split it. It better seperates the information for people interested in either approach. The other option is to scroll through hundreds of sometimes irrelevant post topics trying to search things out. Even the search function gives many many useless hits when everyting is mixed together.
Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the point? Salt/C is alternative. Energy medicine is alternative. Acupuncture is alternative. Many have adamently slammed Salt/C, while they still believe in alternative medicine strongly based on their individual treatment plans. What's next: split the alternative into 12 sub-forums? [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry gang, i'm outtie.

i have a hard enough time trying to sort out what is natural, alternative, suggestive, bad, good, etc.,

then i'd have to go to another board and "viola == not there", then back to another board.

at least with this one board, i simply scroll down until i find what i want.

my brain just isn't functioning good enough lately to figure out what ya'll are saying, so when i suggest "dumb it down", i really mean it.

so for me, another board means i'll just post less and less and less, then maybe just give up....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think this is beneficial, especially for new visitors. I can't imagine someone who was just diagnosed (or looking for the correct tests and protocol to see if they have lyme) should be exposed to threads that say "No antibiotics! They are toxic and hurt your system! Buy ArcaneFormula II and PulsaTronix Emitter NC-4 instead" right next to a basic primer on antibiotics that we (and ILADS) know are able to do damage to lyme. I hurts patients to see these as "equal", especially when they are new to being sick and understanding the benefits and risks of all treatment modalities.

In addition, it would help with debate. If you want to learn about X, then you go to that forum. If you don't feel it benefits you, then you stay off of it. It makes pertinent information of any sort easier to find.

Edit: See my post in the vote thread - I suggest a three way split instead of two.

1. Verified "Conventional" pharmaceutical therapies and diagnostics- This would detail anything you needed a prescription for, the use of antibiotics, antifungals, anti virals, pain medication and more. Most ILADS stuff would be in this category, diagnostics you could get from most labs, and more.

2. Verified "Complimentary" therapies - This would be herbal medicine, acupuncture, diet changes, detoxification, and pretty much anything else that while considered "alternative medicine" that still is bound in understood scientific methods and modalities.

3. Unverified "Experimental" and energy therapies - any sort of energy medicine that requires an alteration to proven laws of physics or is generally experimental should be posted here. This is the place for rife, biophoton, homeopathy, muscle testing and any other "lay on hands" techniques.

Posts: 685 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, but where would it stop.

would we then need a "hearsay" and "gossip" section?

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post 
Look what you've started....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
Look what you've started....

[Big Grin]

Who...me? [Smile]

I only thought that IF the administration is going to do something like act on a user vote...

then most users should be aware of it.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackstone,

I like your idea too. I agree re: Newbies...they must be overwhelmed when checking out this forum for the first time.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is foolish.

What happens if a patient goes through years of one type of therapy (pick your poison: alt or ILADS) and fails, then switches to the other and succeeds -- where does s/he post about their success?

If, for example, the success came from massive abx after years of alt therapies, then posting on the "traditional" forum would preaching to the choir. And vice-versa.

Also, by keeping the groups together it keeps everyone honest. It's very important for people who may not believe or agree with your views to challenge them occasionally -- though, not in a nasty way -- so that you can see the thing from many angles. We need open minds. Not two mutual admiration societies. How good is it, for the group as a whole, to all see things the same way about a particular treatment. In my opinion, it was important in the bionic threads to have the doubters -- again, respectfully -- chime in with their ideas. And, in posts where LLMDs are nuking patient with a dozen or more meds and supps, it's important for the patients to see there are additional explanations for their decline, other than it always being a herx. Differing opinions are needed.

A split would be a mess.

Like many above have stated, where do you draw the distinction? What is traditional and what is alt? Detox comes in here quite handily. Many LLMDs use detox techniques, whereas others don't believe in them. So does the patient post part of their therapy in traditional, and the other detoxing part in alt; if so this would be even more misleading and confusing. What about patients using abx, herbs, rife, detox, etc., where do they post; who's to say what it is that's helping them, or if it's a bit of everything.

All this does, and again, in my opinion, is appease and keep quiet few people who are VERY vocal about what is the RIGHT way to treat Lyme and friends. (There is a place for them in Europe, from what I understand [Smile] )

From my own personal experience, sick over 15 years, I would have benefited greatly by being exposed to the many ideas tossed about in this forum. It is a goldmine. But, back then, in my early and unenlightened days, I would have stayed to the traditional forum, and not have learned many things which may have helped; which may, in fact, have saved me from ending up in the giant hole where I reside today.

Also, what about coinfections? Maybe split them up too? A forum for Lyme, another for bart, babs, erl, anap, RMSF, mycoplasma -- wait there are so many kinds (a bunch of separate forums about mycoplasmas), EBV, HHV1, HHV2, etc.....

What we need is more and better communication of ideas and possible solutions, not less.

Posts: 844 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think separating them is a good idea, because this forum moves so fast, that sometimes a legitimate topic gets breezed over and doesnt get enough responses from those who should be seeing it, and within 12 hours itll be on page 2, just due to sheer volume of questions in this Medical section.

I think people will click on both sections if the topics get divided.....I dont think that separating it will stop people from looking at everything. I click on General Support often to see if people have questions about mental health, or need support, etc.......so why wouldnt I go over to another section too.....it would make things easier.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually...
the administration may not even read THIS post, so if you really want your opinion heard by them, I suggest you also post it on the other thread as well.

Tincup
Member # 5829

I'm still laughing.

And with the snap of her fingers, she parted the sea.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

To NoMoreMuscles, (BTW that could be my name too! Will we ever get them back??)

I understand your concerns about separate forums becoming individual places where dissenting voices will not be heard. Unfortunately, I find that to be the situation already. Anytime I have voiced a concern (always respectfully) in a popular alternative thread or two it was treated as treason. I don't think true believers ever like being questioned.

I will still visit all forums and I believe that most inquisitive and open-minded people will also.

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Hoosiers,

You are so right... most people will continue to click on both forums. I agree that separating the large volume of questions will lead to people receiving more answers just from the mere fact that their queries will stay on page 1 longer.

riverpatrol
Member # 12182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverpatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up! I voted!
Posts: 69 | From So Cal | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

wait, wait, i have it, I HAVE IT!!!

let's separate by state....

texans first.....

sorry, couldn't resist....

--------------------

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Randi,

I love it!! [Wink]

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

^
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but randi--remember there is no lyme in Texas, so why would someone from Texas even come to lymenet--just kidding of course.

My PCP tried to tell me there isn't much lyme in Illinois today. It was all I could do to remain polite and disagree nicely.

Hiker53

P.S. I voted for no split. I like to see it all on one page. I know that for newbies people are afraid they might not take antibiotics, but as a newbie I had been undiagnosed for too long and antibiotics has not helped me at all.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 7059 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Only 107 votes so far.
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Christmas time isn't the best time to run a poll as many people travel and don't use lymenet.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 7059 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

I agree Hiker, but the poll ends on the 31st, so I just want to make sure that everyone who may be interested in voting does so.
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

^
massman
Unregistered

Meg people are seeking alt care because "traditional" care with antibiotics are not working with them.

We are all biochemically different so we may well need different treatments.

And there are some big dog alties, like Dr. Klinghardt, MD, who is getting some very good results with patients.

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote - one forum, keep it like it is.

Peggy

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote to lessen the clutter on the board with two forums.

Predominantly antibiotic and predominantly alternative would be good guidelines to follow for posting.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

The poll is close... it could go either way.

If the final results are within 10 percent... we should demand a recount on the absentee ballots.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
The poll is close... it could go either way.

If the final results are within 10 percent... we should demand a recount on the absentee ballots.

[lol]

Is this like the MN Senate race? We still don't know if Norm Coleman or Al Franken won. [Wink]

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

OH MY! You STILL don't know? What a nightmare!

I saw some news on it a few days ago.. and they just keep saying they are getting close to figuring it out! Any day now.

And they still haven't? Woah!

And yes.. I was referring to that type of situation! Just kidding for LymeNet.. but having it for real in your state.. UGGGGG!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 4 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....actually what I'm after is to keep some alternatives which are purely intuitive from being presented alongside hard science, and given the same intellectual weight.

Dunno why I'm like that...it's just the way I feel about it.... [Wink]

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Charlie,

You're so brilliant. Where is the frickin' hard science? I never see anybody posting anything new here.

Is anybody actually working on it in the "real" science world?

How about posting it. I honestly would like to read it.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....Awwww luvs...it's just that amoxicillin and doxy and stuff kills spirochetes.

biotensors or screen door springs or whatever don't do anything except in the figment arena.

I was just wording it creatively and making an oxymoron out of it to boot...to add emphasis to the uncertanity of the whole business.

[kiss]

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Amazingly...the vote is exactly even.
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
late to the vote, i see.

are the votes being counted here in this thread?

if so- i vote for the split to be implemented ASAP..

dill

Posts: 2505 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't understand what the split would be. Antibiotics, and then everything else?

If that's the case, we will need to be reading both sections in order to understand how to get better, since abx by themselves are not enough, and can cause problems without supplement aids. Most people need to detox and fortify the body also.

The Burrascano guidelines, and everything else? If that's the case, everyone will have to be really clear on what the guidelines say.

I looked at them. As fine as they are, I see a lot of problems with trying to make such a split.

One example - clindamycin is the only abx I can take for Lyme, as I'm allergic to the rest. Clindamycin isn't even listed as an anti-Lyme abx in the Burrascano guidelines.

I'm just saying be careful when it comes to an acceptance of a great but still incomplete set of instructions for how to treat.

And then we would be held to just the list there? I think there is a lot of variance amongst Lyme-treating physicians as to treatment approaches. There is a lot of variance in how we all respond to supplemental aids. There is a lot of powerful responses to things we may not understand all that well, but they're working.

Example: the homeopathy remedy I tried, pulsatilla 12x, was fantastically powerful, but how to explain something diluted to the 12th power of ten? Just 'cause we don't understand something yet is not a reason to call it unscientific. We just may not understand the science yet.

And we may end up arguing about which section stuff belongs in.

In reality, it all mixes in the same one body. I don't think I could always tell what each separate approach is doing.

Comments welcome. I guess I'd like to hear especially from those who wish to split into two sections - please explain further. Thx.

Posts: 13049 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie,

You're such a politician. You just said a lot and actually said nothing.

Please post the new science at lymenet. I'll read it.

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happened at Immunesupport and though I used to read it daily now I never go there. They didn't want lymies (CFSer's who discovered they had lyme) posting on the "CFS" board. Things started getting split into sub boards. Then they redesigned the site as well. I got sick of trying to navigate it.

If this board splits it means I have to check two boards. I now only have medical bookmarked. And what goes in medical--then we should have a "science" board for new studies.

It gets ridiculous and it won't stop bashers. What is the point? It might be a good incentive to stop reading here, too. Reading a board should be easy and familiar--scroll down through topics, pick what interests you and read. If it starts taking effort, forget it. Moreover everybody will have different ideas about what is mainstream and what is alternative.

I suppose I should go "vote".

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

reminder, voting ends on dec. 31 !!

if we have 2 boards; i see headaches galore for moderators! endless fighting over what goes where.

at first, i voted for 2 boards, but after reading ALL the many points mentioned above, my vote is now STAY AS IS.

SCROLL ON BY things you are not interested in like i do now!

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
we can vote ONCE ONLY! so think carefully; i changed my mind just above here but could not change my vote.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Maybe some useful developments will come out of this discussion. I see that DebAZ has just started a website that will be helpful to both new and experienced Lyme patients.

One thing she is doing is building a link list for different kinds of treatments. No judgement, just here's where you can find info on ....

Again, I think an attempt to separate topics will be much too complicated here, and opinionated, and will be too divisive. Not good for our collective mental health to have to fight over where to post a discussion on treatments.

[ 29. December 2008, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Yes, I think two boards will be detrimental too.

For instance, someone just posted research showing very good antibiotic results with natural herbs like peppermint.

The research is from standard universities, but the item studied is an herb, so if we post this kind of research in alternatives, then all the people who will only consider mainstream medicine will miss out on bonifide research into a safer and equally effective natural approach.

Bad move, I think.

--------------------

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

one more day to vote. [Smile]
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 boards. If you honestly can't spend the time to read more than "medical" how can you find the time to sift through the western/traditional vs. the alternative treatments?

So, they can co-exist, just in 2 boards. It won't take rocket science to separate the 2. If there is an co-mixing of treatments, then just post in whatever board you are most comfortable in.

I have spent more time thinking to myself "I don't have time to decifer between the 2 mixes of treatments" by reading ALL the posts on just plain medical, so I don't read at all.

My lyme brain, 8 years in now, just doesn't like to sift. I prefer straight forward, give it to me baby type reading.

It seems to me like this is a logical step forward. Makes it cleaner, more clear cut. That's just my opinion.

Now, do I have to go to off topic to vote? Man, that's just too much trouble! (I'm just kidding) I'll go there now and punch my chad.

Charlie, I"m with you. [Razz]

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Just Julie,

I agree with every one of your points! It would make reading so much simpler.

And as far as I'm concerned, I don't care if someone accidentally posts in the wrong area or they are not sure where to post. I like your idea: "just post where you are more comfortable".

I don't think the moderators have to go crazy trying to figure it out either...enough of the separation is common sense...the rest will eventually settle itself out.

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

^
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Last chance to vote...and last bump, I promise. [Smile]
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about those that use both abx AND alternative methods?
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Looks like the votes are in.

145 people voted.

46 percent (66) of the members said they would like LymeNet to separate the alternative from the traditional.

53 (77) percent said to keep it the way it is now.

Thanks Melanie for posting this here.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm glad i'm late.

this whole thing seems ridiculous.

does anyone do ONLY abx??? no supps? no mag? no probiotics? no detox?

at a minimum-if you separate it it will be 3 areas:

abx

alt

abx and alt

this is nuts. i'd like to hear from someone who only does abx....

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer. It was close though! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FancyRatFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FancyRatFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this thread. otherwise I would have voted

I'm glad.

It's GREAT the way it is.

Everyone can control what topic or thread they want to look at. To me that's great! If your not interested just pass by it. It's that simple.

Fancy

Posts: 258 | From San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou B
Administrator
Member # 64

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lou B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poll ended on 12/31/2008, is closed and has been taken down.

The LymeNet team will discuss the results and other input and determine the best solution.

Take care,

--------------------
Lou B
 -

Posts: 2200 | From Mount Hope, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement