LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CD57 is 44 low / Band 23 Positive - EBV 2100 High - Is this LYME Disease or other ???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD57 is 44 low / Band 23 Positive - EBV 2100 High - Is this LYME Disease or other ???
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 5 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CD57 is 44 low which is Abnormal

Band 23 test Positive which is Abnormal

EBV 2100 High and HSV1 3.18 High

Is this LYME Disease or possibly Something Else ???

Anyone have any good info on such ???

Thank You.

[confused]

[ 29. December 2008, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: eric555 ]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm EXACTLY with you...same issue. Positive 23 IgM band ++ and 54 on CD-57. My LLMD says it's Lyme. All others except a few on here say it is. Me, I'm not so sure. I feel sometimes we presume too much is Lyme based on one band. I guess I still need concrete proof not one other virus/bacterial illness known to man can trigger the 23-25 band on a WB.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb

So yes, it's lyme-specific. It's the actual protein on the spirochete... I'd also venture to say that yes, it's lyme and to trust your LLMD.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 5 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even though the two labs said nothing about band 25 ???

the both labs equally only picked up band 23.

???

and ofcourse high numbers of ebv and hbs.

still Lyme ???

[ 25. December 2008, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: eric555 ]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the CD57 alone is consistent with Lyme.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
llelnino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for llelnino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a very similiar situation and I am very confused. 23 band was IND along with 39 and my CD57 was at 68, also positive babesia igg so my LLMD believes it is Lyme but other doctors feel it is CFS because my EBV was very high. Did abx for abiut 2 months but I felt that my body couldnt handle it so I havent returned to my LLMD because I am so confused as to what is really affecting me.

I feel like I need to do something though because not doing anything isnt helping my situation.

Posts: 103 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billclo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for billclo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your vit-D levels?

But it sure looks like Lyme based on what you reported so far.

Posts: 131 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not sure about my vit D levels...

how to see or check for those d levels ?

also by EBV is very high too so maybe that is also due to Lyme,

or could it possibly be the other way around, low CD57 and band 23 are due to high EBV ???

[ 24. December 2008, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: eric555 ]

eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My EBV test was 2100 which is High

Any help there ???

adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been told that only Lyme can produce a low CD57 count.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only positive WB band (Quest) was IgM band 23.

That's it.

That and 55 symptoms out of 75 got me diagnosed with Lyme disease.

Often it is those who are the sickest who exhibit the fewest bands.

Your body is not posting an immune response or is so overwhelmed by bb.

So, if you are symptomatic, have that band and low CD 57 levels,

Then my friend it it likely that it is Lyme.

I hope you are seeing a LLMD.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Are you seeing a LLMD? I thought you've had the tests, the evaluation, and started treatment by now?

Are you getting treatment?

While not everything is lyme, with yours tests and your symptoms it certainly could be. Still, you need to be evaluated - in person - by an expert LLMD. In person. By an expert. A clinical evaluation is vital.

Of course, you should be assessed for other chronic stealth infections. Often, lyme patients have a mix of coinfections.

Most important here: have you consulted with an expert LLMD?

If so, what advice regarding treatment? A good LLMD will know how to work with several infections at once, or have a plan of progression.

Is the LLMD running these other tests?

When will you start treatment, then? I thought you had started a while back but it sounds like you are still figuring out which way to go.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Dr C's Western Blot explanation:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

-

There is much more literature explaining lyme and how tests are not the sole criteria. I know that has been passed along.

Still, your best bet is to see an experienced LLMD who has worked with thousands of other patients.

-==============================

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

From the May 2007 issue of Clinical Advisor

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR" - By Virginia Savely, RN, FNP-C

As two medical societies battle over its diagnosis and treatment, Lyme disease remains a frequently missed illness. Here is how to spot and treat it.

Excerpts:

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

`` . . .Patients with Lyme disease almost always have negative results on standard blood screening tests and have no remarkable findings on physical exam, so they are frequently referred to mental-health professionals for evaluation.

"...If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

. . . * Clinicians do not realize that the CDC has gone on record as saying the commercial Lyme tests are designed for epidemiologic rather than diagnostic purposes, and a diagnosis should be based on clinical presentation rather than serologic results.

- Full article at link above, containing MUCH more detailed information.

-===

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

hi keebler,

yes, i saw llmd dr s in west chester pa about two weeks ago.

but the problem is that he not did really address the coinfections nor did he draw the bloodwork himself during the visit.

i came there with my own lab tests printed and on at hand ( both tests are from lab corp and the other from mdl)
labcorp tested me for most infections but mdl tested me only for the lyme related infections,

and the only results at the time of my visit which were confident on paper to be positive were the western blot band 23 present,
and high numbers of ebv 2100 high and high numbers of hsv 1 igG 3.18 which is also high

was tested for chlamydia by labcorp only to which i may have been exposed to from a sick bird that had it.

labcorp did not find anything about chlamydia,
labcorp's hhv6 test was incomplete at the time yet and was not posted on paper yet,

but possibly now they are,

and as i explained to him at the time thinking it was lyme.

(it is labcorp afterall and i have heard lots of bad things about them that they could have done a bad test of chlamydia)

while both labs (mdl and labcorp) picked up the band 23 only on western blot
and with low cd57 count by labcorp only,

mdl did not do cd57.

mdl did not check me for chlamydia.

so now...

i did have some rashes over the time,
one which i thought to be a bulls eye rash but from about 20 years ago and cannot be 100% sure.

so i thought it was lyme and he also agreed that i was exposed to lyme,
and so he put me on ceftin 500mg 2 x day.

at this point im afraid based on someone elses reply to another thread here in the med questions,
that it may actually be chlamydia, pnumonia related perhaps.

i assume the proper thing would be perhaps to step all meds, somehow clear the body of all, and to get properly retested again to know exactly which virus i have.

my current symptoms are those that could be from either one, lyme or chlamydia psitachosis pnumonia.

im very confused and dont know what to do.

my next visit is on the jan 5th with this doctor.

so not sure what to do...

very confused and bummed by all this.

should i stop all meds and get retested freshly ?

or continue with ceftin for now and while there on jan 5th simply get addtiional testing done for the hhv6 and the chlamydia psitachosis.

please help.

thank you.

[confused]

eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

ok called labcorp and unfortunately the HHV6 test was also high

so now is all this lyme related ?

do i stop taking meds and get full restested ?

[confused]

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eric555:
ok called labcorp and unfortunately the HHV6 test was also high

so now is all this lyme related ?

do i stop taking meds and get full restested ?

[confused]

Eric,

Are you seeing a good LLMD? If you are, bring a list of all your questions to your next appointment.

Peggy

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebAz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric

Take a look at my list of infection.

just remember.. and this goes for many and i am sure all of use.

if we have exposure to a infection and it adds up to a load and we are staying sick.. ... we tend to rotate infections as far as which ones are active.

You should write a list of all the infections that you are testing positive for and then.. track where you are at at different testing times for helping lead your treatments.

At different times .. and testing.. i will show up positive for one thing and then the next time .. it is not or it is a IGG or such..
and then in a year I will be testing again and that infection I thought was past now is active and IGM and forward again.

I think Lyme does the same thing and sometimes bands will show and sometimes they will not.. or they will waver.

If you are showing up with symptoms and bands and other markers .. You have lyme..
is it what is the infection that is causing your problems/?
That is what is to be determined.

That is one of my main questions when I see my doc.
Which of the list of infections I have had.. and carry.. is causing my problems..

Not an easy one to always answer.. and to test for "everything" all the time is not happing either.
One day

We will have tests that are cheap and easy and we can just bring home and it will sense through our skin which infections are most active and ... such.

That has been my issue and something to think about as you move forward.

I did not think I had lyme.. and I have been tested many years ago saying a past exposure.. Then it was positive through lab corp but .> well > that doc did not tell me.. and then... i got tested again.. along with other tests last year and was positive.

The point being. i have had it all along.. but also with EBV.. which has tested up and down and up and down..

along with all the others..

I would try to look at the full picture and load you are carrying that is detectable..
And work from there with your doctor on narrowing down how to treat which can cycle and or..

I am trying to treat from as many angles as i can and a whole body type of treatment.

i working next on my little website on a whole body healing section.

In the end.. Dont we all want our bodies to be able to keep down and fight these infections on their own? I think that is where we all want to be. And working on our bodies in full to the best of our abiliites.. taking all into consideration.. will move us toward that goal...
More than anything else.

take care.

Deb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

thank you much for your reply....

for now the doctor took me off Ceftin, when we spoke by phone,
and told me that he would do a complete retest of my blood work when im there on the jan 5th.

hopefully by then my body will be free of all Ceftin related chemicals,
so that the new complete tests would be strong and hopefully definitive as to know which exact infections and/or viruses i may have.

seems a few replies i have gotten that the band 23 alone to which i was tested positive for is nothing to be alarmed of,

and that probably based ont that alone i should not treat Lyme or rather treat the other infections first,

and that my current symptoms could as a result probably be from HHV6 related which is Fatigue and some joint pains as well as ringing in the ears.

i am a bit puzzled by all this but for now not on any meds till i see the doc again on the 5th.

oh well...

[Frown]

[ 02. January 2009, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: eric555 ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement