LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Importance of Good Salt, not Mortons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Importance of Good Salt, not Mortons
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/salt.htm

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks GiGi,

I CRAVE salt now...have ever since I got sick. I have all I want and figure I crave it because I need it.

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suggest to use Kosher salt. A lot of "regular" salts contain added things like aluminum to make them "look nice by flowing better". Some of these metal aditives can have undesired side effects....

take a look at some of the crap they can put in salt as alowed buy the FDA.(God only knows what salt from china might have in it since imports are not subject to FDA rules).

http://www.saltinstitute.org/4a.html#How_does_kosher_salt_differ_chemically_a

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have been craving salt. This has occurred on and off since I started treatment 2 months ago. Does anyone know why this is?

I also have problems with water retention and weight gain that I think is mostly water.

I have to think these things are related. I am going to bring them up with my doc that I see soon, but does anyone have a clue? [confused]

--------------------
Judy G.

Posts: 122 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have been craving salt. This has occurred on and off since I started treatment 2 months ago. Does anyone know why this is?

I also have problems with water retention and weight gain that I think is mostly water.

I have to think these things are related. I am going to bring them up with my doc that I see soon, but does anyone have a clue? [confused]

--------------------
Judy G.

Posts: 122 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy, do you know your adrenal and thyroid status?

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Do-I-Have-Salt-Cravings?&id=376002

Real Salt or Himalayan Salt still contain most of the minerals that are normal to salt, about 80 of them.

If you are mineral deficient, detoxing is almost impossible. It takes minerals for your electrical conduits to work. They will not work properly without a good mineral base.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too crave salt off and on, mostly on since I became ill. My thyroid has been tested time and time again, it's fine.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18498

My last labs were done when my naturopathic doc was checking to see what the heck was wrong with me.

Everything was normal except for an inflammation factor --after that she ordered the Western Blot -- and found the Lyme. So I think my adrenals and thyroid are fine.

It just feels like it has something to do with the Lyme or the die off, or something.

I find it interesting that many people on this thread talk about craving salt -- and then there is a salt/vit C treatment too. Hmmmmm.

So much more to know about this pesky thing.

Thanks for all the help coming my way as a new person with the diagosis. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Judy G.

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Just thought I would post this site again for anyone who might not have seen it.

www.lymephotos.com

Just explains so much and possibly why we are so sick.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Hate to destroy that thought - The salt and C uses plain old salt tablets or sodium chloride - if you put them on your tongue, it makes your tongue feel raw; the same when I eat storebought potato chips with Morton's or the purified salt on it --- with literally all minerals removed from it. If I buy salted nuts by mistake, I rinse them off, dry them in the oven for a while and then put our good salt on it. That way you take care of the mold which is found on many nuts and get at least some minerals with the right salt.

I am talking about salt that still contains all the minerals it had a million years ago before it got deposited in the salt mountains - one specific one is in Utah. There are many around the world, not all of them are untouched.

The ocean is no longer clean - it is contaminated with many of the thousands of chemical toxins that are all around us and in everything that ends up in our oceans. So I am not talking about that sea salt found in health food stores - it even looks dirty.

You may want to look up the sites I posted. Once you taste this salt, you will never want any other again. When we travel, my little salt bag of Himalayan or Red Salt from Utah always goes with us.

If you are mineral deficient, as many of us are because our food is mineral deficient, no doubt you get sick. I posted above that --- without a healthy balanced mineral base it is not possible to detox anything. If you crave it, your body is probably screaming for minerals. If we are toxic because we are unable to detox lacking the proper tools (minerals) for it, we get ill. It is very simple.

One of the best things you can do: cook yourself a large pot of broth from healthy bones and meats, flavor it a little, especially with good mineral-rich salt and drink a cup every day. I make a large pot at least once a week, put it in smaller glasses and freeze them. That way you always have a supply.

I cooked the bones of the turkey for several hours, just simmering. It tastes great and is very nourishing. And nothing goes to waste.

We need good food to get well ............

Take care.

P.S. M I N E R A L S are the spark plugs inside the cells!!

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,

I totally agree that we desperately need the minerals in sea salt. I always used the sea salt in the salt/c protocol.

The originators of the protocol are now recommending www.saltworks.com (sea salt)

I personaly use Real salt or a good Himalayan sea salt. Thanks for the turkey broth recipe,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have often wondered this. I used to love ice cream and chocolate and icing and all those terrible but sweet things.

Over the past two years my diet has completely changed. I eat primarly veggies, meat, potatoes, chips and very specific fruit.

In the last 6 months I have been craving salty things. I bought kosher salt and sea salt because I am obessed with the food network and that's what they use. I can absolutely tell the difference in flavor. I don't even care for regular table salt it taste like mercury or metal or something.

I have also often wondered about grey salt. It's french I believe. It's a bit more moised also, but I've never bought it.

Why do you think this is that we crave salt? It's not like I put a ton of salt on my food by any means, but I am drawn to foods that are salty as opposed to sweet.

In the last 3 months I have also lost my appetite. I eat a piece of fruit, maybe a 5 bites of salad for lunch and often no dinner. I haven't always been a big eater, but I mean this isn't normal. And I've gain about 10 pounds.

My thryoid is low and I take .5 grains of amour every day and my adrenals are being checked as well as my hormones. I am just baffled by this. Because I am only 24 and I've always been under weight. Now I am about 10 pounds over where I'm comfortable.

Thanks,
smiles

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am totally confused. Which is the best salt?
The Himalayan salt is probably very good, but
they told me it is very natural, not cleaned or anything. It is as it comes from China. Can there be microbes in the salt? Toxins.

I understnad the sea salt can have heavy metals.

Is the kosher salt the best?
Karen

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a feeling this 'which is the right salt' debate could go on forever. There's some point where you tell yourself every possible toxin can't be avoided. Billions of people survive well and live ripe old ages without worrying about every detail. I don't mean to say one can do anything, but toxicity is everywhere if you look hard enough.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry i don't know anything about Kosher Salt-but I found this article that talks about salt:

Is sea salt better for you than table salt?
- Amy / Montana
Mayo Clinic dietitian Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.

Answer
Sea salt and table salt have the same nutritional value. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste and texture.

Sea salt is harvested from seawater through evaporation. Table salt is typically from rock salt, which is mined from mineral deposits. Both types of salt can be fully refined, and the end result is pure sodium chloride. Variations in the refining process result in different forms of salt.

Table salt is a fine-grained salt that often contains added iodine (iodized salt). Iodine is necessary for normal thyroid function. Some table salt may also contain anti-caking ingredient.

Sea salt is available in fine or coarse grain. Sea salt has a slightly different taste than table salt because of different minerals it contains. Many people prefer sea salt to table salt because they claim it has a more subtle flavor. Sea salt doesn't contain iodine or any other additives. However, if you use sea salt you typically don't have to worry about not getting enough iodine in your diet because iodine is available in many other foods, including dairy products, seafood and many processed foods.

If you favor foods with fewer additives, you may prefer sea salt. But there's no evidence that the additives in table salt are harmful to your health. Although your body needs some sodium to function properly, most people eat too much, which can lead to high blood pressure. Whether you use sea salt, table salt or some other type of salt, most experts recommend between 1,500 and 2,300 milligrams of sodium a day for healthy adults.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I use sea salt and was worried about the fact it wasn't iodized-until I went shopping at a regular super market and found Iodized Sea Salt by HAIN Pure Foods.

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this was on SaltWorks:

Kosher Salt
Kosher salt is regular salt that is so named for its use in the preparation of meat according to the requirements of Jewish dietary guidelines. It contains fewer additives, and has a more salty taste than ordinary table salt. It generally comes in flakes rather than granules. The flakes dissolve easily, and have a less pungent flavor than table salt. Due to the shape of the granules, there is simply less salt in a pinch of kosher salt than in a pinch of table salt. This is the kind of salt most often used on top of pretzels and on the rims of margarita glasses. It is important to note that all Kosher salt is not necessarily sea salt. Kosher salt comes in fine and coarse grain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Following up on what SeekHelp said- my mother is 97 years old-she has always used table salt, butter,drank tap water, eaten rare meats, yada yada yada.

So who knows- stress is not a good factor in anyone's life-and stressing about toxins may be toxic in itself!

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

For anyone with the patience here's a website that talks about salt cravings...

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/salt-craving.htm - 60k

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by glm1111:
Hi,

Just thought I would post this site again for anyone who might not have seen it.

www.lymephotos.com

Just explains so much and possibly why we are so sick.

Gael

Gael this site started showing up on lymenet after I was here a year or so.
Its not new.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Tree,

I am well aware of the fact that the lymephotos site is not new. However a lot of people on this board have never seen it. Therefore it is new to them.

I am getting a lot of pms from people who are not aware that they may be carrying these infections.

GaryRN is a newbie and as you can see from his post he already has gotten profound results from the salt/c protocol.

If he had not seen the lymephotos site he would still be completely unaware.

I am not necessarily pushing the salt/c protocol, just letting people know that they need to treat for parasites and worms.

I am just wondering what your point is about my posting this site. A lot of info that is posted on Lymenet are repeats.

I thought we were here to help each other,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement