LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Did my first coffee enema

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did my first coffee enema
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did it on Sunday and a secong one on Monday.

About 2 hours after each time i had major jag of depression and crying. This in general is not unusual for me but that fact that it happened both times after the enemas gives me the impression it was caused by the enemas.

Also feeling of needing to urinate badly (slight burning feeling) very much the first time and again the second time but to a lesser extent.

I seemed to feel slightly better the rest of the day.

Anybody else experience the depression or urinary/bladder issues.

I will do more and have a sense this will be a positive form of detox for me.

Posts: 137 | From wethersfield ct | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have to urinate a little more right after the enemas.

Depression isn't a symptom of mine, but I don't think it's unusual to have a bit of a toxic symptom flare afterward. I'm glad that the longer term effect is to make you feel better. They have been a significant help to me and I still do them a few times per week even now that I'm off meds.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enemas can cause a drop in blood sugar. That could account for the crying jag. It is suggested that you eat or drink something right before or right after an enema to avoid low blood sugar. That can also help prevent an accidental carbo binge.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the replies.

I actually drank some Gatorade before hand and drank a good amount of water.

I will take some precautions before the next one and see if it happens again.

I was wondering if it maybe stirred up some toxins and i was feeling the effects?

Posts: 137 | From wethersfield ct | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffee enemas definitely help me feel better.

the other top detox I have found is my FIR sauna. That silly thing has saved my life.

Good luck with the detox

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What coffee do you use??? And do you use a regular enema like Fleet enema??

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great that you're trying a unique way to detox. My naturopath is a fan of coffee enemas, and encourages me to do them daily.

I use the plan according to the Gerson diet, except not five times a day.

Cafe Mam has the best prices. I use their Therapy Blend. It's already pre-ground and is 100% organic.

Reading the Gerson Diet book is a good read, so I would encourage you to buy it anyway.

Dr. C. from Missouri encouraged me to try the diet. Although I can't do all of it, it is a great way to get ideas for detox, diet, and coffee enemas.

Let me know if you have more questions
Charis

Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffee enemas rock! I use fair trade, 100% organic from a local company (Peace Coffee) that delivers their product on bicycles, all winter long.

I've never been a coffee drink, and now I get to support them anyway!

Everybody reacts differently. I finally found an affordable enema bag through a med supply store and it is working great.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought an enema bag from Walgreens. It doubles as a hot water bottle and douche, but I don't use it that way.

I use coffee I buy at Whole Foods. I am interested in buying a coffee that is designed for coffee enemas and is available online (don't know where, but I know people who buy it). The important things are it must be ORGANIC and CAFFEINATED.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

i have to refine my technigue. I need to buy a couple items to do it more exact next time. My family was away for a day so i took the opportunity.

I mistakenly bought distlilled water instead of purified and made the coffee in a regular coffee maker that has a plastic filter.

Plan on getting a glass or stainless steel pot next time. I did use orgainic coffee. Also, i just bought one of those enema bulbs and drained the "water" out of it and filled it w/ 4 oz of the coffee.

I will get better as i go along but wanted to seize the opportunity so my kids weren't asking why daddy is laying on the ground w/ his pants down with a .....(you get the picture)

I will try to do another Saturday and will be curious of the results(jag of depression)

Anyway, i thank everybody for sharing on this topic b/c it seems to be a bit taboo for some.

What ever helps is my feeling.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Try using one quart of coffee (brewed with 4 tbsp coffee) and retain for 15 min. My kids used to brew the coffee for me back when I was too sick to, LOL.

I use a french press for brewing ... I boil the water in a stainless steel teakettle.

--------------------

Topper
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is more specific information on doing a Coffee Enema:

Home / Health /

Coffee Enema
by Alexandra Astakhov

Page 1 | Page 2

Warning: The following piece is for informational purposes only, and is not intended to be medical advice. Many medical authorities consider this a dangerous procedure, and it is not endorsed by INeedCoffee.com.

The use of coffee in enemas for detoxification purposes is well known. It is a common herbalogical remedy that has been suggested by holistic and alternative medicine professionals for many years.

Why Coffee Enema Cleansing Works
The effects of a coffee enema are different than a saline enema. The most important difference between a saline enema and a coffee enema is the presence of caffeine in the coffee. Caffeine, theophylline and theobromine, combine to stimulate the relaxation of smooth muscles causing dilatation of blood vessels and bile ducts. The effects of having a coffee enema are not the same as drinking coffee. The veins of the anus are very close to the surface of the tissue. The caffeine is therefore absorbed more quickly (and in higher concentration) than it is in when coffee is drunk.

Benefits of Enemas and Colonics with Coffee
Enemas and Colonics have been used for hundreds of years, and are generally regarded as safe. Additionally, coffee cleansing enemas have a chemical makeup that is stimulative. The enzymes in coffee, known as palmitates, help the liver carry away the toxins in bile acid. The coffee is absorbed into the hemorrhoidal vein, then taken up to the liver by the portal vein. With the bile ducts dilated, bile carries toxins away to the gastro-intestinal tract. Simultaneously, peristaltic activity is encouraged because of the flooding of the lower colon. Thus, when the colon is evacuated, the toxins and bile are carried out of the body.

Enema and Colonic Supplies and kits
You will need to buy a re-usable enema kit. Enema products are available at most pharmacies. They are usually disposable (although they can be cleaned and reused for several months) and they are inexpensive.
Distilled water.
Organic coffee, any roasting level will do.
French Press pot.
Coffee Enema Recipe
Bring 8 cups of water to a boil.
Grind eight heaping spoonfuls of organic coffee. Put it in a french press pot. You can use a drip coffee maker, but be sure to use organic, non-bleached coffee filters.
Pour the water over the coffee grounds and let it steep then cool for one hour or more.
After this amount of time, the liquid should be about body temperature. If you stick your finger in the water it should be lukewarm or cool, but not hot.
Press the coffee grounds to the bottom, then pour the coffee liquid into the enema bag.
Never utilize flavored coffee, sweetened coffee, or coffee with milk (cafe au lait) for this purpose.

I just noticed that at the beginning it said it might be dangerous. Why?

Well, anyway- thought I would post this for those wanting to try it to be sure you were doing it right.

I find that just drinking the stuff works for me.

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Missextreme,

My next purchase is a Fir Sauna.

Topper
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I will stick to drinking it, but it sounds like it could detxify just about anything for those who dare.

"Unlike colonics, which involve multiple infusions of water, an enema involves a one-time infusion of water. The water then is allowed to sit in the lower part of the colon for a short period of time until the person sits on the toilet and it is released.

Why Do People Have Coffee Enemas
Proponents of coffee enemas believe that the coffee stimulates the liver and helps remove toxins in the body. Some alternative practitioners recommend coffee enemas for detoxification.

Coffee enemas are also being explored as an alternative cancer treatment for cancer. A main proponent of coffee enemas for cancer is New York physician Nicholas Gonzalez. Coffee enemas are thought to relieve symptoms such as muscle aches and pains and rashes. Although the effectiveness of Gonzalez's regimen is being studied by the by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), there's no research involving human subjects that shows it can help.

Possible Side Effects
People with certain conditions, such as diverticular disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, severe hemorrhoids, blood vessel disease, congestive heart failure, heart disease, severe anemia, abdominal hernia, gastrointestinal cancer, recent colon surgery, and intestinal tumors should avoid coffee enemas.

Pregnant or nursing women and children should not have coffee enemas.

Like coffee consumed orally, coffee enemas can be stimulating and result in caffeine dependence.

Created December 29, 2003

Coffee Enemas
From Cathy Wong, for About.com
Updated: January 31, 2008

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

The other side of the coin- just so anyone wanting to try this can make an educated decision:

Top 10 Dangers of the Coffee Enema
by Tom Mossey

There is no scientific evidence to indicate that coffee enemas detoxify the bowel, liver, or gallbladder. The Gerson Therapy treatment, which includes daily coffee enemas, is currently being touted as an alternative cancer treatment. This is not only scientifically unproven, it is also a dangerous notion that encourages people to forgo proper medical treatment.

Top 10 Dangers of the Coffee Enema
The dangers associated with the coffee enema, green tea enema, coffee colonic (coffee or tea high enema), and coffee or tea suppository are as follows:

Adding ingredients to the enema recipe (such as coffee, green tea, vinegar, baking soda, bath/epsom salt, or minerals) is not proven to do anything superior to the effects of plain saline.
Inserting anything into the anus may result in anal tearing.
Re-used (instead of single use) enema kits may carry bacteria, which could result in an infection.
Use of hot liquid in the rectum could result in serious internal burns.
Extensive use of enemas could result in dehydration.
Overuse of coffee enemas could result in electrolyte imbalances.
The caffeine in the coffee or tea enema may lead to caffeine addiction.
Caffeine enemas must be avoided by pregnant women and people with caffeine sensitivity.
Overuse of any type of device designed to temporarily excite the nerves of the colon (such as an enema, colonic, or suppository) could result in decreased function of the bowels.
The colonic does not magically remove cancer-causing toxins. It will create watery stool and stimulate the release of fecal matter from the last few inches of the lower bowel. Do not forgo licensed medical attention in favor of this dangerous alternative.
Still going to do a coffee enema? Minimize risks
If you insist upon performing this dangerous procedure, please consider the following minimum precautions for the at-home coffee enema or tea enema. Use a short-nozzle, single-use disposable kit and utilize copious amounts of personal lubricant jelly during insertion. Be sure that the coffee is room temperature or cooler. Also, please minimize the amount of enemas that you perform; at an absolute maximum, do one enema every week to ten days.

Good Luck ctlyme- keep us posted on your very personal experience.

peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ctlyme,

Rejoice in the fact that your massage/enema table is somewhere other than in DIRECT view of the icamera on your IMAC. My son likes to video chat with all of his junior high friends.

How do you explain that bag and tube and mom in the background? That is MY life.

Glad to have you in the coffee enema club. My dad had cancer of the pancreas in 1987 and the only treatment that was increasing life expectancy at the time was coffee enemas. By the time my mom got the same disease in 2000 they were doing them at Sloan Kettering for Pancreatic Cancer. Imagine that. What is cutting edge today will be old hat in 20 years.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

quote:
Originally posted by peacemama:
ctlyme,

Rejoice in the fact that your massage/enema table is somewhere other than in DIRECT view of the icamera on your IMAC. My son likes to video chat with all of his junior high friends.

How do you explain that bag and tube and mom in the background? That is MY life.

Glad to have you in the coffee enema club. My dad had cancer of the pancreas in 1987 and the only treatment that was increasing life expectancy at the time was coffee enemas. By the time my mom got the same disease in 2000 they were doing them at Sloan Kettering for Pancreatic Cancer. Imagine that. What is cutting edge today will be old hat in 20 years.

Does Sloan Kettering administer the enemas in the hospital?? What is it about the coffee enema that made it more effective against cancer than a regular enema? This is interesting. I'm just wondering what made a coffee enema more effective? Did they explain any of that to you when your Mom was in treatment?
Topper
Member # 18568

quote:
Originally posted by Topper:
quote:
ctlyme,

Does Sloan Kettering administer the enemas in the hospital?? What is it about the coffee enema that made it more effective against cancer than a regular enema? This is interesting. I'm just wondering what made a coffee enema more effective? Did they explain any of that to you when your Mom was in treatment?

Topper
Member # 18568

quote:
quote:
quote:
ctlyme,

oops- sorry about the double post but I don't know how to erase one of them.??
Topper
Member # 18568

Well- make that a triple latte. [bonk]
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Topper,

My mom did NOT have the coffee enemas, but in 2000 when she was sick with cancer of the pancreas, I did the research to show her that it was STILL the only treatment that showed any effectiveness against her cancer.

Found it in a journal somewhere. Sorry I can't give you more.

Jeanne

lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tosho -- its probably toxins being removed. I've been doing them recently. It appears the liver can get quite toxic as we all know. I imagine the toxin slide from the liver and show up in the small and large intestines. There are lots of places there for physical reactions to occur to make us feel sick. So taking binders or lots of chlorophyl in the diet might help. Potatoes with the skin are a great binder as well. The binders are usefull to protect from redistributing the toxins back into the body. A viscious cycle of not totally removing the toxins through the bowel.

And yes coffee can get absorbed if the coffee gets too high up into the intestines.

Unexpected -- I bought mine at CVS like six's it doubles as a hot water bottle and a douche. I don't use the douche either. [lol]

I just don't understand why they just can't make a male version. You know, something with racing stripes or a nascar logo. Maybe a picture of Tom Brady or Brett Favre throwing a football. It really is disappointing to buy something with unwanted attachments.

Sorry I had an activistic moment and had to go there...

Well time for a coffee break, what ever that means. [lol] I'll skip the starbucks...

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2148 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TadichGrill
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coffee enemas can be too strong for some people and too stimulating. If you go to an Ayurvedic practitioner they can instruct you on what kind of enema would be best for you and how often to do them. I was told to do a series of 5 enemas while eating only rice and vegetables for 5 days. I am to do 3 oil enemas alternated with 2 herbal enemas.

We are all different and not everyone should be doing coffee enemas.

[ 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: TadichGrill ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement