LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » what drugs cause insurance cancellation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what drugs cause insurance cancellation?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i called my insurance company today and got an earful. i was just interested in getting a burial policy, nothing expensive 10-15 grand maybe.

they told me i could not get a policy for less than 100,000, yep...and it was going to cost 162 dollars a month.

then they told me that if i have ever taken anti-depressants, narcotics, sleeping medications, i could not be qualified, period....

i didn't dare mention lyme cause i knew i wsn't going to get it anyway....

but have you ever heard of this?

i'm interesting in maybe an aarp policy for say a couple of two years where you don't have to take a physical? anybody got one of those...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never heard of this randi! [toilet]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep, that's what he said. have to pass a complete physical and if you've ever been on antidepressants and some others, it's an automatic disqualification.

so i'm out....

plus my family history of cancer, strokes, heart attacks, and diabetes....

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear,

You are not out.

Every insurance company has it's own set of underwriting guidelines. You only heard from one company.

I'm not licensed in life and health only in property and casualty but my husband also has his life and health license and he has sold life insurance products for 30 yrs. So, I know a little from working with him. Also, each state governs the insurance companies so your state could be different from mine.

Most companies will write a policy under 100,000 without requiring a physical. They do, of course, complete an application that asks for your medical history.

Literally, in a life insurance contract, the insurance company is betting you will live and you are betting you will die. Of course, the insurance company is going to look at your health history to see how strong a bet it is that you will live.

There are, however, some life insurance policies that will take you no matter what. You see these advertised on TV. There are catches to these policies although I don't know all the catches. One such catch is that you can't die for a certain # of yrs. Usually 5 yrs I think.

If you can't qualify for conventional insurance then look into these. If you are destitute and on disability, talk to your local government body to see what, if anything, might be available for you.

Better still, donate your body to science. No burial costs at all.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

this is usaa, the military insurance company.

the minimum policy they have is 100 grand. i said, "geez, don't you have anything cheaper, some just small burial policy?" and he said no.

the 100 grand was going to cost 162 per month, not cheap for me.

i think i'll look into those arrp plans or something.

thanks for the information.

--------------------

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi,

If you put $162 in savings each month, you would have $9720 saved in 5 years.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of an insurance company NOT requiring a physical. My 26 year old son just got life insurance and they put him thru the wringer before they would insure him.

He has only been to the doctor maybe two times since he was 9 or 10 years old. Once he was cutting a belt on a machine at work and got cut and then once he had troulbe with his eyes.

He has also never drank or smoked a day in his life.

They made him have a complete physical and then they didn't want to insure him because he had had troulbe once with his eyes.

We did hear back from them yesterday and they did go ahead and insure him.

Boy I think it would be pretty risky to not do a physical.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heatherliveswithlyme
Member # 14890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heatherliveswithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SBLI is $82.68 every 3 months for 400,000.00 of coverage.

I'm in my 40s, overweight and didn't mention Lyme. They came and weighed me and took blood.

--------------------
Suffering too many years to count. Can't remember anyway!!!!

Posts: 46 | From It's News to Jersey | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if you dont mention Lyme,

and then you pass away...

Wouldn't they then look for reasons like a lack of mentioning Lyme disease just not to pay ?????

Surely they could find out that you were treated on certain dates and got certain meds for certain illnesses.

They are public records, no ???

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveNJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,

according the CDC many of us don't have Lyme. So it would not be lieing and it would be enjoyable to stick it to them for following stupid guidelines.

Secondly if you are CDC positive and they don't pick it up on any test then that reinforces the idea that LYme is insignificant. Nice way to stick it to the man if you ask me....of course i'll deny i ever said it [Smile]

Dave

--------------------
On my journey to wellness - One day at a time.

Posts: 989 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is true. If you are not CDC positive, then there is no scientific proof that you even have LD. So how can they deny you? Even if you are CDC positive, remember that "Chronic Lyme Disease" does not even exist, so either way they can't deny you.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B and M
Member # 13544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B and M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work for an insurance company that sells both life and disability policies.

I asked about what a Lyme diagnosis would do to our underwriting.

We would not issue a policy within 6 months of diagnosis. After that Lyme would not be an issue.

As others mentioned, anti-depressents, high blood pressure and other items are a different story.

I guess it it thanks to the CDC that Lyme is not a long term issue as far as our underwriting guidlines.

B

Posts: 65 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue cross has me listed as if I have aids, yet, I dont, never did...not even hiv. The error they cannot even admit too will not be corrected. When they start data sharing by the govts new bill, all companies will think this.

I found out though my HR rep at a job...she wanted to know why they where paying 4x the normal amount for me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AARP is the way to go. No physical at all.
Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luluhaslyme
Member # 13201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luluhaslyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree!!

They cannot have it both ways either you do OR you don't have Lyme... if you do, then it needs to treated
and
if you don't, then they need to insure you...

Posts: 24 | From co | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement