LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » vitamin d lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vitamin d lamp
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love spending time outside when the weather is nice and it is almost like my body craves vitamin d.

i know the best way to get vitamin d is from the sun, but wondering if the lamps work too?

Any info. on these lamps?

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I crave sunshine, too. I bought one of these (Sunsplash) and use it when I can't get the real thing. http://products.mercola.com/tanning-bed/

Yes, it seems to help.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for a good sunlamp, too because I test low in Vitamin D-and I heard sunlight really helps with one's sense of well being.

But when I looked into the Mercola lamp i found these warnings in the Owner's Manuel:

"Below is a partial list of medicines that can cause a photosensitivity reaction (meaning you might turn red or burn when taking them with exposure to the sun or a tanning system):
IF YOU ARE TAKING ANY MEDICATIONS, CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TANNING!
Antibiotics in the Tetracycline Family
Anticancer Drugs
Anticonvulsants
Antidepressants
Antidiabetics
Antihistamines
Antihypertensive Medications
Antiseptic Creams
Birth Control Pills
Retin-A
Sulfonamides (often for urinary tract infections)
Tranquilizers
Water Pills
Medications to avoid when tanning
Acne medications
Antibacterial Drugs
Antibiotics
Anticancer Drugs
Antidepressants
Antihistamines
Anti-inflammatory Drugs
Antiparasitic Drugs
Birth Control Pills
Diabetes Drugs
Diuretics
Psoralen Drugs (topical or oral)
Tranquilizers/Antipsychotic Drugs"

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Sunsplash-10-Renew-Owners-Manual.pdf

Pretty much anyone being treated for Lyme Disease is probably taking several of the types of medications listed, so I decided not to invest in this type of therapy.

Guess I'll just have to wait for warm sunny days and meanwhile take my Vitamin D supplements. Also- i do not like standing, although I know it is good for the bones.

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the tanning lamps, you will be sensitive just as you are to the sun. ie, if you are on doxy and are sensitive to the sun, you will be sensitive to the lamps.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info!
Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about one of the light lamps, as opposed to the tanning lamps? I was at a friend's house this weekend and they turned their's on and I felt a change in my mood rather rapidly. This way we are not running the risk of burning etc... I am pondering getting myself one now after this experience.
Posts: 584 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topper
Member # 18568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvsdog- can you be more specific about a brand or where to get one of the lightlamps your friends have??????

I don't want to go running all over the place searching for one. Like-can I get it at Walmart or Target or Walgreens????

Posts: 33 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

does anyone know if something like this would be helpful or just worthless:

http://www.summertan.com/vitamin_d_and_ultraviolet_light.htm

Topper
Member # 18568

Now you're talking! But I wish I could just walk into a store and buy one.

I am not comfortable with online shopping. I want to see the product in my hands before I buy anything.

Oh well...

Perhaps if I google sunlamps/retailers I'll come up with something.

maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

if you find anything, please post it. i'll look as well. not sure how effective these lamps are though.

hoping someone here has some feedback.

high brix
Member # 23676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for high brix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using a Sperti Vitamin-D lamp to combat seasonal affective disorder (winter blues). It's the one that Dr. Michael Holick recommends. He's the worlds leading Vitamin D research doctor
http://www.sperti.com/

I'm also thinking about trying bright light therapy in the morning. Can anyone recommend a good quality SAD light? I saw this one a few days ago...
http://www.day-lights.com/product/classicindex.html

Posts: 58 | From east coast | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
d3 in a tiny gel pill is all you need and it is dirt cheap and VERY beneficial to your health

if you feal like crap went you first start it stay on it

it might be a herx from your own immune system
being lifted up to attack the Lyme

you really need to learn as much as you can about vitamin D here are some good videos on the need to keep vit d at an upper steady level 65 to 85 it has made a world of difference for me, it even cured my sleep apnea i should post that here later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdLNMEXWTL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtjiOCgwe6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWGGAp9Prqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIDWA9-cGdY

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 487 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
high brix
Member # 23676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for high brix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi LSG, thank you for the the tips and clips! I occasionally take between 5-10k units of oral D3.
I've read that there's added benefit when the body makes it own vitamin D. According to Stephanie Seneff..."This is where sun exposure enters the picture. When you expose your skin to sunshine, your skin synthesizes vitamin D3 sulfate. This form of vitamin D is water soluble, unlike oral vitamin D3 supplements, which is unsulfated. The water soluble form can travel freely in your blood stream, whereas the unsulfated form needs LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) as a vehicle of transport."

"Her suspicion is that the simple oral non-sulfated form of vitamin D likely will not provide the same benefits as the vitamin D created in your skin from sun exposure, because it cannot be converted to vitamin D sulfate. This is yet another reason to really make a concerted effort to get ALL your vitamin D requirements from exposure to sunshine!"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/17/stephanie-seneff-on-sulfur.aspx

Posts: 58 | From east coast | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, for seasonal affective disorder (SAD), see my light therapy recommendation on this thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/126923#000006

This is from the discoverer of SAD and the author of the book "Winter Blues."

I got the light he recommended. Works great.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People with VDR mutations may have trouble converting sunlight into D3, and I know I have trouble with my 2 VDR mutations causing me to not be able to sleep when I take Vitamin D3 supplements (even at very low doses).

Vitamin D2 supplements also cause trouble and never did raise my blood Vit. D3 level...probably another issue with the VDR mutations causing me not to be able to process the D2 correctly...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4163 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
high brix
Member # 23676

Thank you for the helpful link TF. I'm glad to see Dr. Rosenthal's recommendation. I'm thinking about getting a Day-Light. It had a lot of positive reviews on Amazon. Glad to hear that it's working for you. So, you've noticed a shift in your mood and energy level? How long do you use it in the morning?
high brix
Member # 23676

hi Razzle, thanks for bringing VDR mutations to my attention. Sorry to hear of your issues with vitamin D
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Day Light for about 20 minutes in the morning. I read while I am in front of the light.

It makes a noticeable difference that day.

I only use it when I notice that my mood is off or my thinking is goofy, like "I feel like I live in dark world."

And, yes, I have energy to do things thanks to the light.

I hate winter due to the short days. I love sun.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
high brix
Member # 23676

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you're getting a good return on your 20 minutes. It's a small price to pay for better moods and increased energy levels.

Do you feel that the Day-Light is a good quality unit? How long do the bulbs last?

TF
Member # 14183

As I said in the other thread, we have had our light box for 12 years and no problems. My husband uses the box also.

So, it appears to me that the bulbs are extremely long lasting.

high brix
Member # 23676

The Day-Light sounds like a good deal. It's amazing that you're still using the original bulbs after 12 years of use. I appreciate all the info

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement