LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Muscle Twitching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Muscle Twitching
Reggie
Member # 17064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tested positive for Lyme with several bands positve. Recently I have begun to get twitching especially in my eyelids. Is this typical? Also I have been on ABX for 4 months now and don't seem to be getting better? Some days I am in great pain especially in my neck, arms and shoulders. Right now I am on Doxy and Spetracef. How long does it take to see some improvement? Generally how long is the treatment? Do people recover from this?
Posts: 15 | From Medford, nj | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hilde
Member # 18209

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have twiching everyvere on my body.
I think most people feel better after 4-5 months.
But sometimes it takes longer time.
It depence on how long you have had lyme.

Many people are getting much better and some healty. But it can takes a long time. From monts to years.

Posts: 29 | From oslo | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the exact same thing. I am clinically Dxed. I've been into Abx treatment now almost 5 months...some slight improvement,but a very disappointing pace.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am 10 months into tx (I've had twitching pretty much body wide). I was sick about 3 years before I knew it was Lyme and company. Just recently I am finally seeing some improvement, albeit painfully slow and still very much symptomatic. 5-7 months into it, I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. I still have so many symptoms, but do now have moments where I feel like I'm finally crawling out of this hell hole, very, very slowly - I wouldn't have said that a few months back.

I think it varies widely, how long you've been infected prior to treatment, co-infections (I've tested + for ALL of them, ugh), probably the various strains of infection you have, your immune system etc. etc. etc. It's hard to advise you to be patient, as I know that's not what you want to hear. I still battle the fear of, "what if nothing ever improves?" Keep up the fight and the hope. You have a diagnosis and are treating, that's very positive! Good luck. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LLYME
Member # 18687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LLYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twitching was one of the first signs I had when the brain fog and dizziness hit me 7 months before I knew I had Lyme. The abx has made the twitching worse, it adds to the Lyme experience haha
Posts: 92 | From Virginia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys should be on magnesium supplementation. get Mag Tab Sr from walmart or order it from Rite Aid or CVS from Niche pharmaceuticals. Ask your LLMD for IV or IM Magnesium sulfate. Makes the twitching stop.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to treat for parasites and worms.

check out www.lymephotos.com

Antibiotics are not antiparasitic and won't get rid of the Parasites which is a MAJOR problem with Lyme disease.

Please don't ignore this,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Magnesium is your best helper, as Wild Condor stated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Hypomagnesemia - 1618 abstracts

Magnesium, pain - 695 abstracts

Magnesium, muscle spasm - 129 abstracts

Singleton's book, The Lyme Disease Solution, gives many measures to help protect nerves, adrenals and the liver from toxins.

Magnesium is the number one thing that can help calm muscle twitching, lessen pain and help the liver to detox.

Reading this book is essential to understanding what all is going on and what we can do to best take care of ourselves during treatment:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Reggie,

I don't know how long you've been ill. Four months is not really very long to treat if you've been ill for years.

Savely states that at least at 30 weeks is necessary - and that would be for uncomplicated lyme.

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

=============

Are you being treated by an ILADS-educated LLMD?

Were you assessed for coinfections?

---

Are you receiving adrenal and liver support? That is essential to help you feel as good as you can during treatment. (Singleton's book and Burranscano's guidelines offer suggestions.)

---

Is the doctor also addressing candida that often comes with abx tx? ProBiotics and Olive Leaf Extract can help here.

Is your doctor considering intestinal parasites? There are many ways to do this. Andrographis, IMO, is the best.

It is mentioned in Singleton's book and discussed thoroughly in Buhner's. Many abstracts about it at PubMed, too. However, it can be very sedating.

Vit. C/ Salt has helped some but it has cautions to first consider. Be sure to have liver function tests done first and heart rhythm checked. If you have diabetes or high blood pressure that would strike this as an option. If you have swelling or edema, that would be a sign this might not be best.

Allicin (or freeze-dried garlic), Olive Leaf Extract, or andrographis are all helpful against a wide range of parasites and infections. See PubMed for details on those.

I assume you are taking excellent care of yourself by not smoking, drinking alcohol or using aspartame/Nutrasweet/Equal or MSG. Those all are toxic.

I do hope you find relief soon.

===================

www.ilads.org

ILADS

The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) provides a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.

- 2/3 down the page, you can download Guidelines for the management of Lyme disease

and

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/images/stories/PDF/LYMDXRX2008-October.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

===========================

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

========

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

web site options: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

=============

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed

to search for medical abstracts

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069911#000000

TIMACA #6911 posted 03 August, 2008

I would encourage EVERY person who has received a lyme diagnosis to get the following tests.

- see link for list.

-

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have had the muscle twithcing everywhere, from head to toe.

between LLMD and my neruologist it has decreased some iwth all the meds i am on, and magnesium is a must. My LLMD had me to increase mine to three times a day and am on baclofen three times daily as well as a plethera of other meds

at least now it is only sometimes, not every time i sit down or holy molly, lay down (that was the worst!!)

i have noticied now if i overdo it or dont nap then that night the twiches are worse., so bad my whole body will move/jump but mostly is indeped muscles..leg..arm..eye,,hand,,you get the idea

from what LLMD said mg is a must (esp with hyper-reflexes which i have to extreme)...is alot like pre-eclampsia in pregnancy....that is why IV mg is the treatment...hope th at helps...my LLMD and Neuro have been great to both know about this

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, have it too, ALL THE TIME, all over my body.
Have been treating for +2 years, lots of different abx, mostly IV. Nothing seems to help.

Not even Mg IV.

Inflammated nerves, I have been told.

Takes time....

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lmz1100
Member # 15487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lmz1100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my biggest symptoms in the past few months was muscle twitching, which then turned into tingling and numbness in my fingers and toes. That was worse than the twitching.

My fingertips especially, were sensitive to cold and hot to the point it hurt. I was convinced I had MS and went to the neuro. Was tested for everything under the sun, no MS.

Went back to my LLMD who had only been treating me for lyme and brought up my symptoms again. He started to suspect bartonella and decided to try me on oral Rifampin and Levaquin - two weeks on, one week off, two more weeks on and then we will see how its going. I hate to say this in fear I will jinx myself - because I can never go back to how I was feeling in 2008 - but I am only at the end of the 2nd week of that protocol and I feel like a new person. No twitching, AT ALL.

The nerve tingling stopped almost immediately. My fog lifted, no more headaches. My toes no longer hurt if I touch something hot or cold. For once I am very hopeful.

This treatment does not come without downfalls though. I already had sleeping issues and the Rifampin has made it 10x worse. I take Ambien, sometimes 2 right now, just to get a few hours sleep. But its worth it to feel like I do now.

I also got back into the gym and started training for a 1/2 marathon, never have done that in my life, but its time for changes. I think excercise has helped me a great deal.

Just wanted to put this out there. Sometimes treating just Lyme won't help, you've got to treat those co-infections. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Posts: 30 | From Tampa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement