LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could prolocaine injection kill Bb or co's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could prolocaine injection kill Bb or co's?
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I broke a filling yesterday and just came back from having the dentist replace my filling. I had an interesting reaction within minutes of being injected just under the right side of the nose with the anesthetic, prolocaine (without epi). My eyes started drooping badly, with my left eye closing completely. This is my typical herx, although when the left eye closes completely, it's a really strong herx.

It's wearing off slowly, but still very noticeable 3 hours later. I didn't receive any special antibiotics for the dental work, and actually hadn't taken most of my antibiotics for the day yet. Plus, my current antbiotic regimen hasn't made me herx this strongly, so then I wondered how the prolocaine injection would have done that?

I did a little search on it, and apparently, it can sometimes contain sulfites, so do you think that's what might have caused it?

I thought I was allergic to sulfas, but I haven't had any allergic reaction to anything today.

Thoughts, anyone?

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the anesthetic was deposited very closely to where the nerve lies.

It sounds coincidental to me.

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by carly:
[QB] Sounds like the anesthetic was deposited very closely to where the nerve lies.

I agree.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94843 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulfa drugs don't act on Bb.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if the injection is on the right side, it's not logical that the problem would be worse on the left side.

Sulfas do act on the co's though.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using procaine injections off and on under the guidance of my LLND/MD in combination with other detox homeopathics. This is called neural therapy.

For me, the use of procaine has been beneficial for my health, though I cannot pinpoint what exactly it is actually doing. I think it might allow areas of trauma (micro) to heal so that opportunistic infections in the area cannot 'take hold.' Whether it is actually killing things, I cannot say... I don't feel any reactions after its' use (herx reactions), nothing like your reaction. Prolocaine may be different than procaine.

I noticed that it is used in pennicilin G for a variety of infections, but again, I wouldn't be able to say that procaine is added for fighting those infections. It is probably added for other reasons.

There was a discussion here once not long ago regarding spirochetes, dental issues, and the use of procaine, where someone felt that the procaine was having an effect. She went to her dentist every two weeks for injections. It was information brought over from the canlyme forum.

Here are two interesting links regarding the use of procaine in neural therapy and in a product called gerovital. The product claims a very wide range of benefits. I have never used it.

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/a2z/gerovital.htm

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/neural_therapy.html

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patti,
Its is possible to get numbness on the opposite side of the injection site. (front teeth)

Especially if there's been a facial injury, but not necessarily.

In some cases, anesthetic could leak through from one side to the other, that's one possibility.

Or, the nerves could be "tangled up" from a previously broken nose or something.

(Of course, I'm talking about the front teeth, and I think you are, too.)

My thought is that it mimics the herx because the action is the same. It interferes with the normal function of the nerve.

Thank God it does, because I'd never want to sit through a filling without anesthetic!

Interesting theory about the procaine, clairenotes. I'll check out those links when I have more time.

[ 01-29-2009, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: carly ]

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Carly,
No, I'm not talking about the front teeth. I'm talking about the tooth just before the 1st molar, and when I say that the reaction is stronger on the other side of my face, I don't mean on the back side of the tooth. I mean I got the shot near my right cheek, and the stronger reaction was on my left eye.

This is actually my typical herx. The herx is always stronger on the left side, I think because I was bit on the left side of my body.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement