LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » chimpanzee shot dead with lyme in connecticut

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: chimpanzee shot dead with lyme in connecticut
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is in the news. hartford connecticut. apparantly the chimp was being treated for lyme and mauled somebody..we all know that lyme can make you angry..poor chimp
Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really sad. From the local news,

""He's been raised almost like a child by this family," Conklin said Monday. "He rides in a car every day, he opens doors, he's a very unique animal in that aspect. We have no indication of what provoked this behavior at all."

A message seeking comment was left Monday night at Herold's home.

Conklin said the chimp has been ill from Lyme disease, "so maybe from the medications he was out of sorts. We really don't know."

Police have dealt with the animal in the past, including an incident in 2003 when he escaped from his owners' vehicle in downtown Stamford for two hours. Officers used cookies, macadamia treats and ice cream in an attempt to lure him, but subdued him only after he became too tired to resist."

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it legal to own a chimp as a pet???

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the chimp broke the skin, the victim was likely exposed.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the newspaper account of this and also saw it on TV. There was no mention of this chimp having Lyme. Did I miss something?

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/nyregion/17chimp.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, its Steve from Boston.

They had the sory on the news tonight and no-they didn't memtion the lyme.

But here is an jaurnal I found on it and they do memtion lyme.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHIMPANZEE_ATTACK?SITE=NVREN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

It mentions it here also.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-chimpanzee-attack,0,4750195.story

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad for everyone involved. I hope the woman who was injured lives.

I'm sure the chimp had no idea what happened. I hate this illness and how it steals the innocence and lives of so many.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tracy9:
Is it legal to own a chimp as a pet???

It may be legal, but I can't imagine a worse pet to have. In my previous life I was a primatologist (Ph.D. and all!) and let me tell you, they don't need Lyme to be aggressive! They are amongst the most aggressive of animals, and I have at least two colleagues who have been attacked by captive chimpanzees in zoos. (One lost most of his right hand in the attack.)

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i just wrote the 1st feedback letter there ....

I'm so sorry to read about this LYME/tick disease chimp going on the war path and injuring this woman.

Please give 3 months of ANTIBIOTICS to this injured woman who was EXPOSED to lyme disease and co-infections the chimp also had since it affects the brain so much and his "behavior"!

She could PREVENT getting lyme disease by being treated long enough and with strong enough antibiotics for 3 MONTHS; NOT 21 DAYS as infectious drs. prescribe.

How horrible for this woman and those involved in this tragic event.

I was bitten by a tick 39 years ago last Christmas at age 21. I never saw it nor got the famous "bulls-eye" rash but used my daily journal to track down when this happened since it was sub-zero Iowa weather.

My roommates and I had no pets; I wasn't a gardner then, and normal ways of being bitten were eliminated!

I went 34.5 years MISDIAGNOSED by 40-50 drs until July 2004 !!

To the reporter, please send this link to the injured person so they can be treated promptly and watched for symptoms of lyme disease. Thank you.

BettyG, Iowa lyme activist

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly one of the articles said the woman is not expected to live.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in so jersey & Phila 6 ABC said he did
have Lyme...

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about how seriously injured the woman is. I hope she can recover.

Here the news this morning not only said that the chimp had lyme disease, the TV journalist said "has lyme disease which can cause panic attacks."

Only caught the end of the story, I think they were actually discussing lyme and its effects.

It seems like a teachable moment. Chimps can be naturally aggressive, but to combine that with a neurological infection that can cause aggression and panic may have led to this tragedy.

No doubt the IDSA will say that the chimp had only mild symptoms.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, so sad for everyone involved. Just so sad.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CNN Live this morning said that he had Lyme,

But they said it was the medicine that made him go nuts...

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the article on Huffington Post and it mentions that the chimp had Lyme disease. You can all weight in and add your comments on this site

to help raise Lyme awareness. The chimp probably had Lyme rage.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/17/travis-the-chimp-shot-dea_n_167527.html

Let's flood the site with our knowledge in the comment section.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

...what? The woman is not expect to live?? How awful!

What in the world is wrong with people that they think it's OK to keep chimps (or for that matter cheetahs, tigers, boa constrictors, etc.) which belong in the WILD (HELLOOO).

This makes me sooo mad. Sorry had to rant -

[ 02-17-2009, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: btmb03 ]

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was Stamford
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you really shouldn't bring wild animals into your house to live like domestic pets just because they act docile for awhile....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this on the Huffington post comment page, pending approval. I wonder if it will be too political to approve but I don't it on the Huffington post.

Wow was it hard to fit it into 250 words and my last few words were left off. I had to keep revising it. Please everyone go there and post.

"This chimp was suffering, as millions of people are across the world, from the fastest tick borne

epidemic...LYME DISEASE. It is not uncommon in humans for them to have Lyme rage, as the

spirochete that causes this infection is similar to Syphilis. It is referred to as the cousin to

Syphilis. It invades the central nervous system & brain & slowly eats it away. It burrows deep into

your body & cells.In advanced neuro stages is impossible to cure. This illness is horrific.

I am not surprised that this chimp literally acted out of character & went berserk. This is

not some isolated event but most definitely had to do with the fact that he was suffering from

Lyme disease & possibly one of the many co-infections that accompany it, such as babesia,

erlichia, bartonella, tularemia, STARI & the list goes on.
It is shame what happened to both the owner & the chimp but I hope this story sheds some light on

the millions of people who suffer from this illness, mostly in silence, due to the political

nature of the illness. Too many people are not taken seriously enough, are given inaccurate

information about the illness by ill informed doctors & many are misdiagnosed with chronic

fatigue , fibromyalgia, MS, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimers , ALS, Lupus, arthritis, & mental

illness just to name a few.
let this be a WAKE UP CALL to those who are

misinformed, uneducated & unaware about how serious & prevalent Lyme disease is"

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is now on the front page of AOL news online...it does mention Lyme disease.

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard the same thing that Eric heard. NBC news said that the chimp had lyme but they think it was the medication that may have caused his behavior.

I wonder if the chimp was ever tested for bartonella? Another TBI that can cause major behavorial problems.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry,

Ofcourse they would rather blame the meds rather than the actual Lyme disease...

Instead of centering on the root cause they blame the meds.

What a shame...

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Instead of debating here what we all already know put you comments on Huff post where the vast majority of people are clueless about the illness
and our plight.

Let the public know what we know and what we are up against. It's a perfect opportunity for the Lyme cause and to raise awareness. Most of the folks

there are blaming it on the fact that you shouldn't have a wild animal in the house. We know it was most probably from the chimp having Lyme, possibly Lyme rage. It's a perfect forum to get some attention for our cause.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/17/travis-the-chimp-shot-dea_n_167527.html

btmb03
Unregistered

Sorry, the owner of the chimp needs his head examined...."...[the chimp} sat at the table, drank wine from a stemmed glass.."?? WINE?? to a chimp?? That's healthy.

Lyme or not, is the owner nuts?

lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.wfsb.com/news/18726175/detail.html
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the chimp was herxing.

Anyway the article said he was on xanax too.

We all know xanax doesnt do that!

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how much the zanax the owner gave the chimp in his tea earlier in the day contributed to the attack?

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humph!

Wasn't there just a thread about bananas being super food?

Turns out, maybe not.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...every year or so we have an incident around here involving somebody that smuggles in a tiger or bear or something thru Mexico and attempts to make a pet out of it (successfully till it maims or kills somebody)...

People tend to regard chimps as near humans, though they are just dumb wild animals (although you could likely pass one off as a lawyer or politician and get away with it indefinitely).

A chimp at the table with a glass of wine...fine for movies but that's all.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this story was very sad and made me very angry.

If people weren't so stupid by thinking that bringing a wild animal to a home is a good idea, this never would have happened. When you are with a wild animal or around one at all, you've got to have it in the back of your mind that they are dangerous and can revert back to their natural instincts any time... it doesn't matter how 'wonderful' they have been treated by the owners, etc. They don't think of it in those terms like humans do.

The one news story said that they don't think Ms. Nash (the one who was attacked) will be filing any lawsuit. I think her family should. I know that she was really good friends with the owner of the monkey, but seriously.... this lady should not get away with having that monkey as a pet. It was WRONG and if not against the law, should definitely be, so she should be charged with something. Arggg, just gets me so angry.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the one article also said that they think the monkey attacked Ms. Nash because he didn't recognize her due to her just having her hair cut.... I don't think that really had much to do with it.

Animals don't use their eyes as much as they use their nose/ears first. Humans use their eyes predominantly, but animals mainly use their other senses before their eyes. I am sure the chimp knew who she was by smell recognition.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
charlie on chimps:
"although you could likely pass one off as a ..politician and get away with it indefinitely"

well, not indefinitely, but eight years was a pretty long run.

seriously, this poor animal. he would have been safer exposed to jungle diseases as opposed to suburban connecticut.

this is the kind of rage lyme produced in my son (tho he never mauled anyone).
there was that guy in sullivan county, ny who shot a police officer and himself, who was very sick with lyme.
definitely post at huffington and any other media
sources regarding the tbd's in this case.
the human effects are so horribly misunderstood, if a chimp makes the news on this, we should jump on any media coverage.

i hope the victim will recover!

mo

[ 02-17-2009, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Mo ]

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

I'm getting replies to my post on Huffington Post and posted another one. We are getting exposure.

Wish you guys would post,too, instead of just debating here. It's our chance to get the facts out there and educated the public.

"Here is the key sentence of the entire article."One thing that we're looking into is that we understand the chimpanzee has Lyme

disease and has been ill". Lyme disease is a very serious illness that due to a political controversy in the medical community, has left many suffering and without the proper diagnosis.

Lyme disease and it's many co infections can cause severe anxiety and rage in humans and severe mental illness as well as a whole range of

other horrific neurological symptoms. According the the article, the chimp has been domesticated for 15 years. I would say that with out a doubt

his violent behavior can be traced directly to having Lyme disease. I pray for the woman who was mauled and that she pulls thru OK but let this be a wake up call to the medical community and to

the public to start taking this illness seriously. It is silently affecting millions of people in the U.S. and around the world many of whom have the wrong diagnosis, ie. chronic

fatigue, fibromyalgia, ALS, Alzheimers, mental illness, MS, Parkinsons and the list goes on. The research is out there but the medical community

refuses to acknowledge it."

01:59 PM on 02/17/2009

Lyme disease is also very painful.... If you've ever lived with any kind of chronic pain, you will know that this alone is likely drive anyone to the brink....

AND

YES. Well said ABXNOMORE. My mother has Lyme disease and though she is starting to finally make a slow recovery, it's been over a two year

ordeal, with doctors who don't know what they're dealing with, insurance companies that refuse to "experimental" treatments (ie. anything they

don't feel like paying for anymore), and inability to work for days at a time.

And guess where I'm from? Stamford, CT of course.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Text and video here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29227429/

Rampaging chimp was given Xanax for anxiety

STAMFORD, Conn - updated 1 hour, 20 minutes ago

Owner stabs 200-pound pet with butcher knife after woman badly injured

Excerpts:

. . .

Victim not recognized due to hair?_Herold and two officers also received minor injuries, police said. Conklin said police don't know what triggered the attack.

"There was no provocation that we know of. One thing that we're looking into is that we understand the chimpanzee has Lyme disease and has been ill from that, so maybe from the medications he was out of sorts. We really don't know," Conklin said.

Conklin also suggested the animal may have attacked Nash because she was wearing her hair differently and perhaps wasn't recognized.

. . . .

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

I just had some words with my State Rep John Perzel,

he did take the time and wrote me an interesting thorough reply...

posted it in the General area for all to read,

and I contacted Fox news, and had alot to say,
Contacted Glenn Beck, John Oreilly, Greta, and the Morning News Team...

Explained the horrible politics of this disease and its coinfections, as well as the horrible testing and undestanding and undertreating it by the entire medical community,
and that Bills must be passed ASAP,
and the immediate need for LLMDs and much much more...

Who knows, at least the words are out and hopefully so is their attention...

[ 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: eric555 ]

btmb03
Unregistered

Personally this isn't the kind of story where I'd want the world to learn about Lyme dx.

"Chimp on the rampage" says nothing of neuropathy, damage to the nervous system, cardiac probs, memory probs, word recall/retrieval probs, brain fog, joint/muscle pain, severe fatigue, etc...and that's only before seeing the medical community....

It just gives the "unbelieving" side more ammunition that "it's all in our heads", a mental disorder" and that Lyme pts as a whole are..or could be as potentially dangerous as the chimp??

The info/videos of this chimp's actions describes nothing about the subtleties and not-so-subtleties of the struggle each one of us faces on a daily basis just to get out of bed and deal with our myriad of health and functional issues.

Time to look for another Lyme advocate...

eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

you speaking to me ?
btmb03
Unregistered

no eric, responding to abxnomore re: using this chimp incident to educate the public. [Wink]
charlie
Member # 25

I think this means that a chimp is not a worthwhile lyme advocate...I agree.
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

ahhhh,

well in any case, rage can too be attributed to Lyme,

though we will never know about him not being able to get out of bed...

still ofcourse not the best way to get our attention...

but in the end this chimp will surely get us all some sort of recognition as the Lyme disease itself.

jagb09
Member # 14713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jagb09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in stratford, ct about 30 minutes north of stamford, same county.

All news reports here said the chimp had lyme.

The chimp was apparently somewhat aggressive when it felt threatened. There was an incident last year with it too.

I know how Lyme makes me feel and I can understand the disease.

Primates and humans being so closely linked genetically, we can all sympathize with the chimp.

I feel so badly for the woman who was attacked too. She was a friend who was called over to help retrieve the chimp b/c he had escaped.

I hope she is ok and also gets treated for Lyme.

Posts: 59 | From stratford, CT | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter if we think that a chimp is not a worthwile Lyme advocate.

At the very least it can make people more aware hearing the words Lyme Disease.

Like we have so many televised Lyme advocates getting the word out.

I think we need to take what we can get and launch it from there on avenues such as the Huffington Post.

I pray that this poor woman pulls through this horrible attack.

I gaurantee you she is being given some major antibiotics with all of the terrible wounds she received.

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Lyme rage is only *one* of a huge number of symptoms that can be attributed to Lyme.

This tragedy may not elicit any empathy from the general public/media toward those who have to live with this disease, in fact it may elicit exactly the opposite response.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Kimwg. Chimps by nature can be very aggresive, Lyme or no Lyme.

Perhaps I missed this in the prior posts, but who and how is a chimp able to receive long term abx for Lyme, but many of us can't???? Perhaps we should use this as an example of how we are treated worse than animals.

Don't get me wrong, I am an animal lover and have been involved with various animal rights groups.

I just can't beleive that animals are getting medicines that many of us aren't. I do feel badly for the chimp, however he should have been in the care of a facility that specializes in dealing with chimps.

I think it was irresponsible of the owner to call in a friend to help secure the chimp. This was reckless. How sad to think that she could die from this and or has been exposed to Lyme because of it.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

I disagree but we are all entitled to our own opinion and approach. Any place we can get exposure, especially outside of the Lyme

community, is a good thing. The Huffington post is a liberal progressive site that has a huge readership.

There have been favorable responses already, thou I do not know who they are. Some have mentioned the suffering this illness brings, not just the rage, but the neglect, the struggle with getting care, etc.

Even if just ONE person is enlightened about what is lurking out there and in terms of the disease

how this illness has been swept under the carpet for years......to me that is a victory.

Remaining silent, IMO is a bigger crime when there is an opportunity to educate.

Pointing out the facts about this illness does not make us look like crazies.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I did not mention, but I do agree that we should take advantage of any oppurtunites to promote awareness of our disease and since this situation is out there as Abxnomore points out, than we should respond and educate.

I bring up Lyme all the time to educate however and wherever I can.

--------------------

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Well the article has moved from the center of the page to the side. That means it will be off the first page by tonight. Get your two cents in now, if you wish.

There is a nice thread going on page one, and two others on pages further in.

Here's the link again for those interested:

lymeric
Member # 16465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Charles R. Jones weighs in. Dr. Jones was the lyme specialist consulted on TV for the news here tonight. The video listed to the right isn't working for me right now.

http://www.wfsb.com/news/18726175/detail.html

Posts: 76 | From tolland county, ct | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay for dr. jones !

the thing is, this chimp had 14+ years of very passive behavior, i assume prior to contracting tbd's.

also -- this line in the above posted article:

"Police said experts may study the chimp's brain tissue to help determine what caused its aggressive behavior."

if they would actually do this, there's a good chance they would find spirochetes.
that would be something.

not like we can get that done as easily on a human............

mo

--------------------
life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage
-- anais nin

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they say this chimp weighed in around 200lbs?

That is what we heard here.

I wouldn't have a 200lb dog in my house.

They are domesticated.....however, continue and will be instinctive creatures.

Dogs kill people all the time.

Wonder how many of them were tested for Lyme disease.

I think that the situation is horrible.

Lyme or not.

Prayers to the woman who may die from the mauling.

Prayers also to the people who mistakenly thought

That an animal, no matter how "human" they act and are treated,

Continue to revert to instinctive types of behavior.

They must be besides themselves.

Lyme may have been a factor.

I guess it is just.......sad.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to add that if they found bb in the chimps brain,

Do you think they would generalize the "chimps" out of control behavior,

To those of us with Lyme?

Wait......wouldn't 21 days of antibiotics "cure" the Lyme?

Can't wait for the IDSA to weigh in on this one.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Someone mentions that on pg 11 of the blog!!!!

Check it out as I copied this comment that a poster made.

This is very sad indeed. For everyone involved a true tradgedy. I am suprised that more of the people in that area of Connecticut are not really concerned about the LYME aspect that Travis had to live with daily.

Many people are completely unaware that Lyme Disease can turn to Chronic Lyme and affect multiple systems in the body i/e the heart, brain, eye, etc.... Travis may have been experiencing what is known in the Lyme world as "Lyme Rage". The xanax probably didn't cause this attack. Considering he had Chronic Lyme Disease, than this was probably what happened.

I hope that they do indeed autopsy his brain to see if Travis had Spirochetes in it. If he did, this should be a lesson to the IDSA that short courses of abx don't cure Lyme Disease like they would like us to believe.

You peopl in Connecticut live in a Lyme ifested part of the country(though it is also in all fifty states now). Perhpas you should use this story to your advantage and make sure the IDSA Changes their bogus guidelines on how to diagnose and treat Lyme Disease. They are currently in the process of putting together a supposed unbiased panel(rumor has it that it's anything but). Get involved in Lyme. Check out Lymenet.org or the LDA. This could easily happen to you or a loved one.

Please educate yourself about this disease. It's now in all of our backyards. I know, because I have it.

--------------------

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two lessons to be learned from this:

1. monkeys need to be in the jungle

2. Don't mess with us Lymies, just give us what we want, cuz we can snap at any moment (hear that Wormser?)

Seriously, like someone said before, dogs kill people all the time, and they've been domesticated for thousands of years. My neighbor's 2 yr old grandson was attacked by their pet pitt bull. The dog actually bit off the child's nose, and it could not be reattached. This chimp, by all accounts, was mischievous but not aggressive throughout his life, and seemed well-adapted to living wth a human family. I say it HAD to be the Lyme. Lyme rage is real. I've seen it in myself over the years.

Now, I understand they may examine the chimp's brain. I'm sure the chimp has already been treated with antibiotics for the Lyme. Wouldn't it be something if they do find live spirochetes in the brain tissue even after treatment - this would be HUGE. It could only benefit our cause, since it will show the organism survives antibiotic treatment, thus proving in a very dramatic way the existence of chronic Lyme in primates, which is US.

I personally believe that there is so much unexplained human illness, both physical and psychiatric, that is caused by tick-borne pathogens. It may take decades to get a handle on it. Perhaps some good will come of of this tragedy.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Don't forget about the severe anxiety that many of us suffer from and sometimes confusion and

irrational fear. Travis could not talk like we can and express what he was feeling. No one will

ever know what he was feeling but living thru this illness I can only image that he was frightened to

death with fear, overcome with anxiety and snapped.

This is a very sad tragedy for all concerned.

Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poor woman basically had her face torn off and is in extremely critical condition.

I have no clue about how aggressive chimpanzees can be, I didn't even know they could get to 200 lbs. Whatever, they should not, of course, be household pets.

I am sure that if they continue to pursue the Lyme connection the powers-that-be will make sure they blame the treatment in some way, rather than the illness.

I wouldn't be surprised at all however if this was a case of Lyme rage. The monkey probably felt lousy and had no idea why or what to expect. Tragic.

Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
you really shouldn't bring wild animals into your house to live like domestic pets just because they act docile for awhile....

...has anyone told Jenny this?

--------------------

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chimp was ALSO ON XANAX, which is known to cause homicidal rages, among other nasty side effects.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

I thought that Xanax was intended to supress the anxiety,
and actually make you sleepy rather than cause the rage ???

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If the liver is stressed all circuits can blow.

Xanax can be very hard on the liver - and I doubt it's intended for a chimp's neuro-circuitry.

Even if the xanax had been relaxing, the Chimp's genes and instinct went to work - if surprised - or startled - instinct was triggered to mount a full defense. To him, it might well have been an enemy and once the switch goes off in the brain, there is no return.

When I tried xanax years ago, that is when my ears went kaboom, literally.

EVERY THING was loud. I'd startle when a rubber band fell on the carpet. That is when the sound-trigger seizures began for me. Then another drug, effexor, just sealed the deal and my ears have never returned to normal.

Now, part of this could have been because (as I later learned) my liver was too toxic (part from lyme that had gone undiagnosed; part from my liver not processing the C P-450 drugs).

Xanax is extensively metabolized in humans, primarily by cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4). I don't know how chimps would process this. But, if lyme and liver stress, bad combination.

If a liver can't metabolize effectively, that liver stress can lead to rage, partly due to the build-up of excess porphyrins that are neurotoxic.

Serious infection can create a secondary porphryia in humans and my guess is that the same can happen in other mammals.

Especially with lyme toxins - and in a chimp who has had WINE, too?! - that creates a more toxic soup in the liver and a fuse to the nervous system. Any spark could light that.

And, many chimps at that age have become too aggressive. It's a common pattern for chimp-pets even in the best circumstances and the best cared-for chimps.

====

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=071168

Topic: PORPHYRIA LINKS - Re: Cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

I agree with Cass.

The chimp owner was on Good Morning America yesterday (I think it was Good Morning America) and she was at that time trying to take back what she had formerly said about giving the monkey Xanax. At first she had no qualms about coming out and saying that she had given the monkey Xanax, but after it came out that Xanax could have caused the rage/attack to happen in the first place, she then started totally taking it back that she ever gave the monkey Xanax, that she would never do something like that, blah, blah, blah. Can we say liar?! Not to mention she gave the monkey people food as well as WINE.

This lady gives ME lyme rage!!!! She really needs to be reprimanded BIG TIME for having a monkey as a pet and causing her friend to almost die.

I know a lot of people think this is such good news for the lyme community, but I don't even think that's the big issue in this at all. The big issue is that this lady is extremely stupid (like most of the population, unfortunately) and took in a chimp that weighs more than she probably does and expected it to live humanely.... It's a WILD animal... that means it should STAY in the wild. Argggg!

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I, too, think this is not such good news for lyme patients. It rather paints it in a bad light.

This violent attack is not going to be understood in an academic sense and this actually could make all lyme patients be perceived as ready to pop their cork - an unfair comparison.

Lyme patients have long been perceived as having psychiatric problems. If the comparison to the chimp's behavior is made, that could create a huge set-back for a full understanding of lyme, as the media is likely to interpret it.

-

eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

But maybe it would make them look at Lyme from a different perspective,
or at least look at it as a whole... ???

Ofcourse I feel very bad for the lady who suffered the attack,
but if Lyme was the reason, then Lyme surely needs to be addressed and researched much much more.

There will never come any good of any sick individual or animal from doing something harmful which is contributed to any illness,

but if a disease caused this to happen, then that disease definitely needs to be paid much more attention to.

And the entire medical community needs to step up.

tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has there been any update on how the woman is doing that had been attacked?

I know depending on which news article I read... some would say she was in serious condition, one even said she wasn't expected to live and all sorts of speculation.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen an update on her.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,496164,00.html
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i understand from fox news that she "had her face torn off and both hands"....

how horrible for her. i can't imagine her pain....

and that little animal...well not little but you get the point.

chimps are fine when small but any idiot knows that a full grown chimp is a very dangerous animal. just watch any animal planet story on chimps. they are aggressive and dangerous when full grown....

this whole thing could have been avoided by laws stating you can't own ANY wild animal....period...and making sure people follow them.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JRWagner
Member # 3229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JRWagner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should explain it all:

Woman says Travis the chimp bit her in '96

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29279834/

We are too quick to blame Lyme...a 200 lb chimp is 7 times stronger than an adult human...and should never be a pet. Wild animals belong in the wild. Period.

Why do stupid humans insist on "owning" whatever animal that suits them, no matter what harm could come to the animal or to other humans.
Pet Cougars? Elephants? Grizzly Bears? Stupid fools...

Now this poor lady has lost her eyes, her entire face, etc.

When are we going to learn?

Peace, Love, and Wellness,
JRW

Posts: 1414 | From Ny, Ny | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

JR - AMEN! I agree with what you said 100 times over.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The owner-woman was lonely, the chimpanzee ate lobster and ice-cream and as her "son" was never held to any human boundaries, much less those warranted by having a 200 pound aggressive beast in one's home.

I hope Lyme isn't mentioned in follow-ups. The whole story is so whacked out and horrible and sad and pointless.

Humans with Lyme make for better teaching moments.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

posted just now 2-20-09; LYME is mentioned again!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090220/ap_on_re_us/chimpanzee_attack

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement