LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » If my Doc does not want to prescribe me Xanax / Percs for Pain & Anxiety, How to Get?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If my Doc does not want to prescribe me Xanax / Percs for Pain & Anxiety, How to Get?
eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 5 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my Doc does not want to prescribe me Xanax / Percs for my Pain & Anxiety,

How & Where to Get them ?

???

Thank you.

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PCP and my LLMD both agree that I need Xanax due to the stress of dealing with a Chronic illness. I guess just look around until you find a doctor that will prescribe. Perhaps a psychiatrist.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get my ativan/anti-depressants from a psychaitrist.

Kathy

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your LLMD may be able to refer you to a pain clinic that understands Lyme.

--------------------
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again? - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc used to not want too. Now he doesnt care because im in pain. xanax helps me more then anything else. It allows me some sleep.
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so weird the way benzos help so many Lyme patients here. Kind of amazing that an anti-anxiety drug is the wonder drug. Not everyone of course, but it seems to be the concensus. Xanax, Klonopin, etc.

I don't recall the same positive comments as consistently about any anti-depressants.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im on Xanax,Klonopin,and Valium...along with Seroquel.

I take the Klonopin and Xanax as needed. The Valium I take 10mg 2x a day and the serequel I take 50mg for bedtime.

It is wierd that it helps us Lyme patients, but on the other hand, That means most Lyme patients have some kind of anxiety/panic problem, like myself. My panic attacks are BAD.. Like hospital bound!

Can't travel far from home (Agoraphobia). Before this disease and its coinfections I was healthier than a horse...now I can barely leave my house.

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

While these may help some lyme patients, many also do really awful with them.

It's such an individualized response and has much to do with a person's liver and neuro-chemistry.

Take this book to your doctor and discuss the options listed there. Some are Rx; some are other methods. But, having the book with you gives a range of what can help lyme patients.

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanax and other psychiatric drugs can have very dibilitating side effects and can be physiologically addicting. If you don't "crave" the drug, the pharma guys say it isn't "addicting," however many people can't quit psychiatric drugs once they start because they get horrible physical and emotional reactions when they try to get off them. This is especially true for Xanax and Paxil.

Psychiatric drugs are coming under very serious scrutiny, due to the manufacturers concealing vital information about adverse effects and off-label marketing efforts that hyped results for un-approved uses.

Eli Lilly recently settled for about $2 billion (overall) over Zyprexa, and Seroquil is now "on trial" in Florida, with over 6,000 litigants. There was an article about this--including the head psychiatrist over marketing having sex with a researcher and another woman who wrote articles about Seroquil--published in the Business Week edition that just came out!

I would search out any and all possible alternatives before taking psychiatric drugs--the data available on them has been "doctored" to gain acceptance and increase sales, not to help patients.

As a start, large doses of B complex vitamins (Brewer's Yeast can work well, but some people get a bad reaction to it) and lots of B 1 could help a lot!

Hope this helps.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
This is so weird the way benzos help so many Lyme patients here. Kind of amazing that an anti-anxiety drug is the wonder drug. Not everyone of course, but it seems to be the concensus. Xanax, Klonopin, etc.

I don't recall the same positive comments as consistently about any anti-depressants.

I tried Focalin to keep me awake...panic attacks and high blood pressure. Focalin is like speed.

I tried another drug procvigil to keep me awake. It worked great but then gave me a MIGRANE!!!!!!!

Never took it again.

I tried Lyrica for the terrible neuropathy I get. It makes me completelly zoned out and emotionally flatlined. Didnt like the way that felt. Plus I slept good but the next day was depressed majorlly.

So there you have it! The benzos sorta remind me of a mild cannabis. Cant do that any more, chemical sensitivities. [Wink]

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

It's also important to realize that if one is exposed to smoke - first, second or third hand, that adding such meds can compromise a patient.

I know you were planning to stop smoking a few months back and if you are still in that process, your doctor may have some very real reasons for not adding to what your body has to detox at this time.

Have a conversation with him about the reasons and other suggestions.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
switch docs...i can't find a doc who doesn't want me on psyc drugs...i swear they get kickbacks...they just want to dope me up so i don't keep looking for a cure

vicoden has never touched my lyme pain-ibu hlpes the most

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pm me i have info u can use

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that many doctors ARE getting paid, one way or another, by the pharmaceutical companies that make psychiatric drugs. Minnesota required all payments to doctors be reported, and the biggest takers were psychiatrists!! A top Harvard psych--Biederman--recently was exposed for taking over $1.2 MILLION from psych drug manufacturers.

The drug companies can access EXACT prescription data on every doctor--and they DO use it to send in their "detail" girls with gifts and trips and continuing "medical" education, etc., etc., etc.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaInga
Member # 19162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaInga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You won't understand xanax fully, until you try to get off of it.

Frankly, I would never take it again. I think it permanently changes the human brain. Going off of Xanax is a horrible experience. There are some websites that pretty acurately describe what it is like to get off of it.

I took it for 3 months and it was awful to get off of. I took it only to sleep.

Ugh.

Recently, I stopped my Ambien as well. That too, is an oversold drug.

The new push for using drugs such as Abilify for antidepression boosting----be careful. These are powerful antidopaminergic drugs. They come out with new ones every few months, and the old one, then, needs a new use. Abilify will cause a lot of weight gain, and in anyone with restless leg...you will be moving constantly.

Please be careful with pharmaceuticals. Remember, to some extent, it has become 'legal pushing'. Most countries don't have commercials for drugs. Lay people don't know how most of these drugs act etc.

IMO, instead of xanax, clonazepam is much less of a problem, at a reasonable dose of course. I have been on many meds, and xanax was the worst withdrawal I ever endured. Given the chance to do it again, I would not have put that pill in my mouth the first time.

And, yes, I do have issues with anxiety, and some agoraphobic like issues, which I feel are mostly related to NOT getting out due to being afraid of falling, or passing out due to my illness...however, I force myself to socially engage. I realize that this is a chemical imbalance, but, I am going to fight it with behavioral modification.

Posts: 11 | From Great Lakes | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

what were you issues?

BTW I suffered for years without benzos and tried 5htp, melatonin, overdosing on benadryl, doxepiin, all to no effect

Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only use ativan when needed, not everyday. I fight the anxiety if I can with breathing exercises...
Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement