LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low Dose Naltrexone users

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low Dose Naltrexone users
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi im looking for others experiences with LDN. I just started it a couple nights ago.

First, I would like to know if it is okay to take xanax while taking LDN? I know u cant use oopiates but someone else told me no xanax as well...is this true?

Ive also been experiencing some weird stuff since starting it. I have been getting bad vivid nightmares and disrupted sleep. Will this go away?

Today i started getting this bad physical anxiety and jittery/tremory feeling. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

Thanks for any info,
JOe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 247 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had crazy vivid dreams for the first month on LDN. That was the only side effect I experienced and it did go away after the first month.

Check with your pharmacist and doctor before taking xanax to make sure that there are no interactions.

Overall, I think that LDN may be helping to decrease my pain. I'm on my 3rd month now, and i've only been on the full 4.5 dose for about 2 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon:)

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanax is fine with LDN.

The sleep thing is normal, too. For most people it seems to go away in a couple of weeks, sometimes a month. The anxiety you're experiencing may be a neuro herx.

I got whacked with a pretty rough neuro herx at firt. I started at 1.5 mg LDN and kept that dose 2-3 weeks, until the herx subsided, then raised the dose to 3 mg and got smacked again. Long dormant symptoms came crashing back. I held at that dose a few weeks, till stable, then upped it to 4.5 mg where I have stayed.

I've been on it almost a year and a half now. It's been very helpful, especially the first few months. I was in terrible shape, bedbound and unable to do tolerate any Lyme therapy. The LDN got me out of bed, and allowed me to reintroduce antimicrobial therapy, and so far I am tolerating the herxes.

Good luch with it.

Posts: 844 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should be able to handle narcotic pain relievers on low dose naltrexone. It's higher doses, as prescribed to treat heroin addiction, that block one's ability to take narcotics. Our dosage doesnt' really change their effect as far as I can tell.

(edited to make typos make sense)

[ 05-01-2009, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had hot flashes on LDN, 2mg. It was disturbing my sleep too much so I stopped it.

I already take bio-identical estradiol and I didn't want to up that dose to counter the LDN.

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop taking xanax, if you have lyme you clearly don't need xanax. It's just a poison that will throw your body off that much more. LDN made it a little difficult to sleep for the first week then after that things were back to normal. If you can't sleep have your hormone levels checked then balanced, don't take a profit driven drug because some idiot tells you to.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses. I took a night off from the ldn to see if those symptoms subside a bit.

Pryorka,

Im gona completely ignore your response. Thats the most idiodic thing ive ever heard. People like you are the reason i hate posting on here. YOu obviously have never had dabilitating anxiety. Trust me i hate taking prescpiption drugs and avoid it as much as possible but sometimes there is no other choice.

--------------------

Posts: 247 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on LDN for a couple of years, but not for Lyme.

I had vivid dreams at first, but not nightmares. I kind of enjoyed the dreams. They only lasted two or three weeks.

You should not take opiate based pain killers with LDN. I would ask an expert about the Xanax.

LDN could be indirectly causing your anxiety because your immune system is working better. When it is working better it is killing more bacteria and a temporary inflammatory response takes place within your body. Inflammation can cause depression and/or anxiety.

I would not stop taking it because you are going to have to go through this sometime or another.
You may as well get it over with.

Dan

Posts: 2916 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some more vivid dreams, but not too disturbing. I got low blood pressure, but that went away. I got the headache, and that went away too.

I did up very slowly, and in hindsight it was a bit slow, I should have upped quicker.

Another side effect is that if you take thyroid meds like synthroid or Armour Thyroid, you will have to lower the dose, or you go hyper. TSH also gets normal (mine was way too low and on LDN it finally went normal)

If your thyroid is working hard (and you are not on thyroid hormone replacement), because you are borderline hypo, maybe LDN causes you to go temporarily hyper, but your body will self-regulate on that one.

I was on a thyroid hormone dose that was too low for me, ft4 was at the bottom of the range and ft3 too, as my doctor liked it tthat way, and I was quite depressed, and LDN caused the TSH to go up to 0,8 and the ft4 and ft3 went up to a third of the range ant the same time, and the depression lifted. I read other postings about depression going away. About anxiety, I do not remember postings, but chances are it gets better.

nora

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted for a long time but I felt compelled to back up Jocus20's complaint about Pryorka's ignorant comment about xanax.

If I hadn't taken xanax during my horrific and intense Bartonella treatment, I definitely would have killed myself. Xanax was the ONLY thing that calmed me down and kept my anxiety at bay and my mind at a rational level.

Now I am in remission and have weaned off the xanax to a much lower amount. If I have to take 1-2 mg's of xanax for the rest of my life, I don't care. I'm better and making baby steps back into the world.

Furthermore, I had not ONE but TWO different respected LLMD's PRESCRIBE that xanax for me. Until you walk in the shoes of the jittery, anxious, creepy crawly hell that Jocus and I experienced, then please try to restrain from making such definitve comments as new people need to know that IT IS OKAY to have band-aid meds as you go through this hell.

Blessings to Jocus and my other good friends.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, you could have a glass of wine before bedtime and no one would scream "ADDICTIVE POISON!!!!" But say xanax or klonipin and people really get their dander up. Yet alcohol is the worst drug for anxiety because of the abuse potential, and the psychomotor agitation that ensues during withdrawal. There is a place for benzodiazapines in Lyme treatment when anxiety and panic are such that life becomes just intolerable. Take them appropriately, wean off when you don't need them. They can be a life-saver. Ditto with antidepressants.
Just my opinion.

To those wqho rant against the pharmaceutical industry, please remember that the herb/supplement/vitamin industry is also HUGE. They have their own lobbyists in Washington. And these supplements are not even regulated as to purity or effectiveness. Who knows what crap from what third world country is in these things, not to mention the vermin and rodents that are likely to infest any herbal product when it is gathered and stored.

200 years ago people took herbs because that's all they had. Any herb that really worked only worked because it exerted a drug effect. Back then, people would have clamored to have access to the medicines we now have.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you taking LDN noticed that your WBC or other immune cell counts improved?

My WBC count and CD 57 count are chronically low. I am wondering if the LDN could improve that...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ditto the responces about xanax. If it wasn't for a small dose of it during really bad times. I also would have killed myself. No problem getting off of it either like many have said. It is not poison. Lyme is poison.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My white counts were chronically low. After several months on LDN they came up quite a bit, to around 8 if I remember.
Posts: 844 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Thank you all for the responses and backing me up about the xanax. I appreciated it.

--------------------

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about fatigue issues? Did LDN improve anyone's fatigue?

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'm gone chime in to Jocus and Clarissa....Xanax/benzos can make this whole thing bearable....and isn't quality of life what it's all about???

This was an exasperating comment, pryorka!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry but I don't know what LDN is or what it does, can someone clue me in?

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't see this thread and started another one by mistake.

I am interested in starting LDN as my sleep has recently suffered again and I have bad bart anxiety etc...

Is there a downside to LDN? Side effects? Just curious what kind of damage the drug could do long term as I am already on abx!

Any concerns with Cancer etc...?

Thanks for any feedback!

Chris

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Check out lowdosenaltrexone.org

LDN supposedly blocks endorphin receptors in your brain for a couple hours while you sleep. This caused you to produce more and boosts your immune system and regulates autoimmune conditions.

Some people with lyme have found that it has really helped.

There is somee minor side effects at first. Just some disturbed sleep and vivid dreams.

From what i read this drug is uded for cancer also so no concersn there.

Joe

--------------------

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pryorka:
[QB] Stop taking xanax, if you have lyme you clearly don't need xanax. It's just a poison that will throw your body off that much more. LDN made it a little difficult to sleep for the first week then after that things were back to normal. If you can't sleep have your hormone levels checked then balanced, don't take a profit driven drug because some idiot tells you to.

Rediculous comment!
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LDN is Low Dose Naltrexone. Basically it tricks your immune system into working better.

It has no known long term side effects, other than protecting you from autoimmune diseases and Cancer. It is used as a Cancer treatment.

It is probably the safest drug out there. I will have to take it for life, so i have researched it thoroughly.

Dan

Posts: 2916 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im being very hope full.

My dad said to me, "do you have to take this for the rest of your life? And i said "if it works then fine!!!!!"

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan - you said that you will have to take it for life?

According to the book "The Lyme Disease Solution", written by an LLMD, over time, LDN trains the body to produce endorphins in it's normal cyclical way and LDN is no longer needed to sustain the benefits.

Did you find something different in your research? I haven't spent a lot of time researching this yet so maybe the short term treatment only works for some people and others need long term treatment in order to maintain the benefits?

Terry

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I"ve never heard of this, and have seen four top LLDs. Why don't they all use it if it is so great? I mean, I'm just wondering why I've never heard any of them mention it.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RANGER1959
Member # 51176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RANGER1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry to but in here. i bumped into this web site looking for anwsers. i am an leo and veteran. i have a tbi chronic pain headaches fybromyalgia hormon issues the works. sarcadosis along the lines of lupus. the goverment does not do pain meds but i begged and yelled long and loud enough to get ldn. i have to break it down myself from 50mg tablets. its what the va calls a trial. its life or death for me. i have to take xanex to sleep and waking up is going from dead to barely alive over a couple hours. id be interested in anything anyone has to contribute. i should have it next week.

--------------------
M R DEBAKER

Posts: 1 | From KATY TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yogamom65
Member # 51179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yogamom65     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ranger1959 How do you break down the 50 mg tablets? I am wanting to do that since it is so much cheaper than getting it compounded.

--------------------
Treating lyme and bartonella with abx and herbs

Posts: 1 | From Wake Forest NC | Registered: Jan 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymehope
Member # 48581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymehope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
brake the tablet in half as it is difficult otherwise to dissolve otherwise. In a dropper count 50 drops of water , add pill and mix thoroughly .
Every night before bedtime take one drop and work up to 5 drops. These were direction by my LLMD.
It has helped me quite a bit.

Posts: 68 | From new york | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6Hypnone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6Hypnone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How low would be a good place to start? And how slowly to wean up?

Also, what are the herx's you experience from it (if any)? I just dont want my nerve pain to get worse (esp since I'm taking it to reduce it!)

Posts: 550 | From sw suburbs of chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
LDN requires very careful and slow incremental adjustments for the first month or two. The steps cannot be rushed.

Just studying up about it will take at least 10 hours, maybe much more. Don't take short cuts in learning about it and don't rely on ANY posts on the web. Use those for a starting point but never rely on any post without further confirming or clarifying with expert writings or medical advice.

This works great for some and is certainly worth a look --

first check out if it can be afforded - that may be the deciding factor.

Know, too, that while it's great for some - it can be terrible for others (and I was in that latter category even with the most careful start).

Be sure to read all the articles, threads and books by expert authors about this - and ask LLMD their thoughts.

There are also other ways to support immune system (first: be sure infections are being adequately addressed: liver & adrenal support are good.

Medical Mushrooms good to look into as well

LDN - Low Dose Naltrexone

some threads.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=112225;p=0

Topic: Why does LDN cause my symptoms to explode?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/110640?#000000

Topic: Does LDN make you feel tired?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/108543?

Topic: Low Dose Naltrexone Survey
MANY GOOD RESPONSES to this reported

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/88159?
About the only one who did not: Amanda (but it seems she started way too high and increased too soon she started full dose that is to be worked up to over a month's time from 1.5 mg start) . . . see her posting history & other comments in the thread.

Search additional and more recent links at LymeNet Archives - the "search" link.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

Search LymeNet Archives - in both general and medical forums, subject line with separate searches for "LDN" and then for "naltrexone"

About the name, it's very similar (in name but not chemical structure / purpose) to a drug used to treat opioid overdoses / emergencies. Be sure when you ask about it to pronounce it well and that who you talk to is very clear on that.

Not what you want: Narcan™ (naloxone) is a prescription medicine that blocks the effects of opioids and ...
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Welcome to the Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) Home Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBd2gv8UGU0

Norwegian LDN Documentary; with English subtitles.

22 minutes - YouTube - Sept 19, 2017
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement