LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Teeth Need Saved!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teeth Need Saved!
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Everyone,
I went to the dentist last week, and it was not good news. They have to extract a molar that appears infected, as well as some other teeth. Hold me, I am scared! [Eek!] There are also a number that are beginning to decay that need fillings. All of them are very crooked, so I am going to get a proxy brush and some floss sticks. Does anyone else have advice?

Sugar is bad for teeth. So are soft drinks.
What else is there that I may be missing? [confused] Our family history is some of it. Everyone on my father's side of the family lost their teeth young. Celiac Disease and Lyme could also be adding to it.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy a Sonicare Toothbrush, and use a Floss "Pick" It's a "Y' shaped device that you spin the floss around. It makes flossing so easy.

The cost is well worth it. If necessary, have the teeth pulled that are decayed or bad and purchase a denture specific for your mouth (if visible teeth are removed). May as well have nicer teeth, a healthier mouth, and less discomfort.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teeth were falling out,fracturing in my hand,and decaying with holes clear thru them at an alarming rate.

I started taking 2 Citrical per day and magicaly the further decay stopped. I believe the calcium was sucked out of them by the lyme.

I take a magnesium also to balance itself. BOTH of them help my pain level significantly!!

Go figure!!me--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree abt the calcium being leached out.

Get vit D levels checked out too. Your bones may also be affected.

Also make sure your not having a dehydration problem, like Sojgrens{sp?}, with dry mouth, eyes, etc. That causes bacteria to flourish, esp at night.

Theres more involved than just brushing and flossing. Too bad, none of my dentists { or doctors} ever mentioned those things to me.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most rampant decay in lymies is either from
meds that cause dry mouth.
quinines, doxy, heart meds, psych meds,peepee meds
hbp meds. these are all anticholinergic drugs that
dry eyes, mouth ,skin.
the mouth needs saliva to wash and lubricate teeth
even though the saliva is filled with bacteria.

second issue cause dry mouth is secondary dry
mouth from autoimmune disease ie lyme.
usually dry mouth,dry eyes and little sweat
are the symptoms.
only no sweat is life threatening if you are active.
sweat controls the bodies ability to cool itself
without is your temp can rise very quickly and
suddenly.

calcium in adults has very little to do with decay. this is a fallacy . Only in developing kids teeth is this important, as or teeth erupt into the mouth full size and enamelized.

another fallicy is sugar causes tooth decay,
it is true that is does but if you eat all the sugar within 1/2 hour and brush you can eat all you want.
what causes decay is the time the sugar saturates the teeth.
sipping a coke all day is worse than drinking it all at once.
chewing gum or sucking on hard candies all day
keeps the teeth saturated with sugar and this is what causes decay.

sonicare is a great brush and i highly recommend over any other brush.

docdave.

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I believe the calcium was sucked out of them by the lyme.[/QB]
You might want to read this...

The Cell Phone and the Cell - the Role of Calcium:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7636830/The-Cell-Phone-and-the-Cell-the-Role-of-Calcium-

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Metallic Blue,
I used to have a Sonicare, but it broke. My father says they are a waste of money now, and refuses to get another one. He argues about everything. Half of the time, I have to beg to have food I am supposed to eat or purified water. The tap water makes me sick.

I am getting extractions. I have no choice, because root canals are bad for immunity.
I think the floss sticks may help. The proxy brush may not be carried around here in stores, but I will have to check around. I tried a Waterpik and Hummingbird, but neither got the stuff out from between my teeth.

Dear just don,
I certainly do need to take a Calcium supplement. The trouble is, Citrical nauseated me before. Are there any others you could recommend? I am aware of needing Vitamin D and Magnesium to absorb them. With the issues I have, I am not sure I will absorb anything. The Celexa, Prilosec, and Depo-Provera may be the trouble.

They prevent absorbing Calcium. Your teeth sound a lot like mine. Until I stopped eating gluten, they chipped off while I was eating soft foods. That will really freak you out! They are no longer chipping, but still are decaying.

Dear DakotasMom01,
If I had any insurance, I might be able to afford testing. Right now, there is none. Being to ill to work has made that impossible. I am currently waiting to see about SSI, but do not have a lot of hope at this point. Obtaining it the first time you apply is nearly impossible, but if my WBs show something, that may speed the process along.

Sjogren's is certainly a possibility. My eyes dry out something awful. No matter how many drops I put in, they still burn. I do sweat a lot, though. That disease often accompanies Celiac, so it would not be a surprise.

Dear docdave,
I do sweat quite a bit due to my Thyroid being hyper. However, I do have the dry eyes something awful, and my mouth occasionally feels that way. It usually is more like that when I first wake up. I get something I call "velcro tongue" where your mouth is so dry your tongue sticks to the roof of it.

I have begged my father to get another Sonicare, but he refuses. However, the proxybrush is inexpensive, and may be better anyway. Being able to get to every single tooth individually is necessary with how crooked these are. Soda irritates my stomach, so I rarely drink any. The only gum I chew is sugar-free, because the other kind sticks to my teeth so badly.

Dear blaze,
Thank you for the interesting links! I do not use a cell phone, because I cannot afford one. I do use a portable one regularly, though. I hate to think of the EMF waves coming from that. Hopefully, the few things I can afford to do will help.

Dear Everyone,
Thank you so much for your advice! At least my grandfather is paying for this, since I have no insurance. He feels responsible, since they all had bad teeth on his side of the family.
Altogether, it is going to be $3,000! This includes extractions, laser gum treatments for periodontitis, and fillings.

Invisalign braces are optional, but will straighten the teeth, making them easier to clean. Although it is $6,000, Grandad may pay for that as well. I am so fortunate to have him helping me! I use Biotene mouthwash. I can only use Crest or maybe Tom's of Maine toothpaste right now.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jin,

Sjogren's was my first thought when I read your post......

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement