LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » COARTEM...now legal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: COARTEM...now legal
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2009/NEW01989.html

http://www.novartis.com/newsroom/media-releases/en/2009/1304377.shtml

I dont know how good or bad this is, but I will be getting a prescription for this soon. We need something strong like this.

Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bears,

Is Dr F the one prescribing this? Does he recommend it rather than the pyrimethamine I have been reading about?

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bears or Bea.... if you find out abt a LLMD using coartem for babesia, would you please PM me with a dosage. I want to run it by Dr J for my 17 yr old with b. duncani lyme & bartonella(he is not making any headway with his headache no matter what we try.)
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Dr F is not prescribing it. It cannot be bought in online, because it is only used in hospital settings. They do not want "resistance" to build up to it. I do not know the dosage and I do know that it can only be prescribed for 3 days.
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this means we won't be able to use this against babesia after all? I don't understand the issue about resistance. This is not a big malaria country. And it won't be over the counter.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly it can't be bought online, but it is not restricted to hospitals. Here is a line quoted from the sources in the links given above:

"In the US, Coartem will be made available through pharmacies and hospitals."

Note that it includes pharmacies.

However, it was approved for malaria, so it would be an off label use for babesia.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re Riamet, if you do a search there is a member here who cured her babesia in 5 days with self tx with riamet.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked on the availability of Coartem in early May and the response I got was equivalent to "the distribution pipeline isn't filled".

Based on this resurrected thread, I e-mailed the manufacturer about how to get the drug. The response was to have the pharmacist contact the Novartis customer service (1-800-526-0175) for assistance. My conclusion from this, (which may not be accurate) is that the drug supplies may not be plentiful in the US.

From the marketing point of view, this drug is approved for treatment of acute malaria, not prevention. Drugs like Malarone which you can get prescribed to take along on a trip for prevention, are readily available. Even so, my insurance company refused to pay for Malarone, because it was being prescribed for something other than malaria.

The CDC report is that less than 2000 cases of malaria are treated in the US each year. So I'm not surprised if the company doesn't see the need to have much Coartem stored inside the US.

The FDA is also under fire for not watching drugs more closely when they are first introduced to the market. (In recent years, a number of drugs have been withdrawn from the market or had their use restricted because of problems discovered a year or two after going on sale.) So the company may be using a very strict "mind your p's and q's" approach for early distribution and more data gathering about the patient population using the drug.

Of course, this is not helpful to us in the USA babesia community who have seen the reports of patients in the EU having success with this treatment. So we have a dilemma.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but hopefully my opinion/ramblings may give some points to consider.

Lymepool

Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdreams87
Member # 20493

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigdreams87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are there threads on here about people with babesia who have used it?
Posts: 73 | From ca, usa | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selma (posting as Hardynaka) used Riamet for a few days to knock down her babesia, in Europe. She later used many herbals to kill it; i forget if it was the same infection or a new infection.
Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up
Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement