LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » USA TODAY ON LYME:GARBAGE!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USA TODAY ON LYME:GARBAGE!!
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-04-21-lyme-disease_N.htm
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know where they are?

WHERE are all these Patients DIM-WIT Shapiro cured so easily with one pill?

You'd think they would be touting how incredible this dude is... IF he were.... and fighting us tooth and nail to protect their duck.

WHERE ARE THEY?

I've never seen ONE patient out of tens of thousands that are happy with his one pill theory... or anything he says actually.

Thanks Blue for posting this nail.

Yepper... it is a nail. ONE more nail of Shap's coffin.

It is incredible he can't figure out his mouth is going to bring him and the other ducks down.

If we never did anything else....

He's screw himself right in the ground running his big mouth.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USA today's always been worthless.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I'm here to see the day his theory goes down in flames. [Smile] Why do these reporters believe this crap so faithfully?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

up to read later today after my going to bed now [sleepy]
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Tincup,
My parents were watching "The Doctors" yesterday. There was a small segment on Lyme. Naturally, my parents said I do not match up with the description. They argued everything you all have taught me, and think that the CDC has a clue. We all know how full of crap these doctors and the CDC is.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One dose of Doxycycline is enough to treat Lyme". I don't think so!

Good grief! How stupid! And even if that were true, which of course it is not, what about all of us who were bitten and unaware of the bite until much later when the disease was spread throughout our bodies? And nothing was said about the co-infections that usually go along with Lyme and require a different antibiotic.

Unfortunately, USA Today has a large readership and now a lot of people are again misinformed. [Mad]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Benjamin Luft just did a study at Stony Brook showing different strains have different virulence. Out of 20 most just produced the skin rash and only 4 went into the nervous system. So all these people taking antibiotics and are "cured" maybe had nothing to worry about.

Obviously Shapiro chooses to ignore this study. It seems that the people hit hard by this is sizable, but a minority, but that they could ignore this minority is criminal.

Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many of us have seen Under Our Skin, but you can read Shapiro's face in that film and see fear all over him. He's scared out of his skin that people are going to know how crooked he is one day and all the suffering he has caused. He's lieing out his @ss and knows it. He might even realize he deserves to be in prison and is scared he will end up getting what he deserves. But yeah, fear... all over his face. So he knows what he's doing.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most realize they don't know 100 percent and that it is just their conviction. That they display this conviction as truth is intolerable.

Neither side is conclusive yet, though as a sufferer I tend to strongly disagree with them.

Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what an idiot....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Hopefully you are talking about Shapiro =)
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone take a look at the map? It's hilarious. 90% of the U.S. has nearly "zero" cases of Lyme Disease. Very amusing.

--

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I left a comment. I hope it is clear enough, I kinda went on and on.

Today is the first time I have been able to post comments on news sites - up til now I just didn't have the energy or mental ability. Woohoooo!!

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also posted. How frustrating that people read this and will take it as gospel. Maybe 95% of cases are easily cured, but that's not comforting to the (large amount of people that make up the other 5%.
Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got the "Under our skin" dvd yesterday. I had seen it once before and definetly noticed Shapiro's facial expressions and his eyes getting big when lying.

I cried nearly the entire time that I watched the dvd last night. Then of course became enraged. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

How this small group of doctors has been allowed for 15 years to dictate and control treatment for so many that are suffering is baffling.

My Best friend from CT who has had Lyme since she was a kid says nothing will change in our lifetime.

I keep saying back to her not if I have anything to do about it. There are more of us then them. We will win I believe that! I will educate, letter write, and fight for that until the day I die.

My softball coach wrote to me today because they are ordering new shirts. He said we need a nickname for you to put on the back of your shirt.

I said put "Lymie." I said it will get people talking and who knows maybe it can help someone from becoming as sick as I am.

I may be too weak to even play but I will sit on the bench with "Lymie" on the back and cheer on my team and educate everyone who asks about it.

Take Care,
Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for you Ann!! What a great idea!

We all do our parts, where we can. You are an inspiration to me to try even harder, when I have the ability - those little windows of energy where I can type some helpful posts, or an informative comment on a news article website. Or read some more research articles so that I can be informed when it counts.

Little things, done by many people, add up to something very big.

If I can help just one person deal with this a little better, or avoid this altogether, I will feel like I did something wholly worthwhile.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an opinion...try not reading the news, watching the news or listening to the news and see how much better your life gets. The MEDIA is of the devil. A very devisive way for opinions to be translated and converted to facts for a large group of people. Infectious disease is a very BIG problem for the world. It is very overlooked because Doctors, Insurance companies and Researchers are very intimidated by the "powers to be". The Governing Laws take into consideration the "majority" not the "minority". It is funny how opionions and research changes when these infections become personal with "famous" or "well known" people.

I believe Lyme may be a problem in some cases. I tend to think it is opportunistic...just my opinion. I think there are regionally endemic organisms that play more of a role. There are definately new organism emerging. Look at Dr K from the Northeast. He just found and named a new PARASITE that is found in his patients that have CFS and Lyme. Dr F in Arizona has also found a PARASITE that is found in almost everyone who has any autoimmune, CFS, Lyme and other infections.

I am no doctor..and neither do I pretend to be, but there is something else going on, besides lyme, with probably 95% of people. There has been so many studies done on Lyme and that is why most doctors believe it is 100% curable. There has not been enough research done on these "new" bugs.

*Just a thought. I have a friend who was an Army Ranger. He has been all over the world and been bitten by almost every infectious organism possible. The ONLY and I mean ONLY organism(s)that his Doctors and team were concerned about was PARASITIC and PROTOZOAN type organisms. That was all, nothing more. Because they know that "MOST" other organisms are OPPORTUNISTIC in nature. Look at all the Bartonella research...most dissemenated cases are from Extreme immune suppression. Why is Babesia such a problem...maybe because it is in the Protozoan group? Why arent people getting well? If we were in the military...they would be giving us injection of Doxy and antimalarials before we entered any country....why...because the military understands that there are PARASITIC and PROTOZOAN type organisms everywhere that will eventually kill if you dont prevent it.

I seriously believe, because of the rise in Genetically modified foods and increased disturbing of nature...the bugs are rapidly changing and if dont realize very quickly that Protozoans and Parasites are a big problem, our country will fall internally and we will be just like the Egyptians were "a very obese and sick nation". History repeats itself...over and over.

Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Garbage is a nice word for the BS !
gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The politics and lies of Lyme are everywhere.

It's very sad.

Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks nenet! Interesting post bears and I agree I do not watch the news as it is too depressing.

I am sure there are other things that are causing issues as you have suggested. All I know is that I have Lyme and only Lyme.

I was extremely positive on a crappy test and it has made life very difficult and made me very ill.

Take Care,
Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure I'm not going to express this well or come across the way I want to, but I'll try.

In a way, I can understand not exposing oneself to the media and all their garbage.

But on the other hand, I don't think we can or should stick our heads in the sand and ignore what is being said.

If we are unaware of what's being said in the media, then how can we in turn defend the truth?

We need to be aware of what they're saying in these high-profile papers and news outlets and respond to them.

I don't know if that's clear...just my thoughts.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could do without that neurologist's cute lil comment at the end....

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, YOU know where these patients are!

They're spread across the country filling the waiting rooms of the rheumatologists, neurologists, and psychiatrists!

Some are in jails and psychiatric facilities due to undiagnosed, untreated TBDs.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 1 pill!
A 100mg Vibratab (doxy)... right After I got both deer ticks outa me 1 early Sat morn. (1 engorged/1 not)

No rash. No symptoms. Felt fine! & everything healed up nice.
4 months later... BOOM! Late lyme.

1-pill cure, my Arse!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
H said..

Tincup, YOU know where these patients are!

They're spread across the country filling the waiting rooms of the rheumatologists, neurologists, and psychiatrists!

Some are in jails and psychiatric facilities due to undiagnosed, untreated TBDs.

```````````````````````````````````````````````

You are right! And you made me laugh!

You are SO right!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Nothing annoys me more than a smug arrogant doctor who has never had chronic lyme comment what a simple and easily curable disease it is.

I don't consider myself an evil man but I would so like to give them this disease.

dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to find their OWN words debunking the "hard to get easy to cure" just peruse http://www.lymecryme.com

There are the papers not just the "I heard" stuff. It is the actual papers.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

TO ALL,

VOTE "RECOMMEND" all our good lyme comments; 40 comments there including what i posted in the wee am hours.

IOWABETTYG: New: Most recommended!

User Image
IOWABETTYG (0 friends, send message) wrote: 12h 55m ago

Quoting Shapiro was worthless! One pill up to 3 weeks and you are CURED IS PURE HOG WASH!

NOPE, Sharpiro was not one of them; but his belief system is identical to the mentality of the drs. i did see for 3.5 DECADES!

I've had chronic lyme disease for 39 years; 34.5 years MISDIAGNOSED by 40- 50 drs! UNACCEPTABLE, and lyme disease was never mentioned.

I never saw a tick; wasn't embedded; and NO BULLS-EYE RASH WAS PRESENT EVER!

1st diagnosis I received 2 weeks after getting severe flu-like symptoms was MONO/epstein barr virus. Then came the long string of other WRONG diagnosis and symptoms.

Why did I the patient have to research galore and come up with the culprit, and then present it to my primary dr. who treated me for 28 years? I was his 1st chronic lyme patient in 30 years practicing.

He was excellent and was very supportive on any necessary tests and paperwork galore needed to get SSDI, social security disability insurance, benefits for having worked 30 yrs., 7 months, and had to QUIT due to my health receiving NO BENEFITS & NO HEALTH INSURANCE.

But I lucked out; my hubby retired with FULL BENEFITS including health insurance. So I as a spouse WAS COVERED, but my BCBS does NOT PAY ANY EXPENSES FOR LYME DISEASE.

In 4 months, I paid $5,000 OUT OF POCKET plus another $1,000 for travel expenses: gas, lodging, and food for 2 people since Iowa has NO FULL-TIME CHRONIC LYME LITERATE MDS HERE!

I did like your map above on clicking on it to see how many were reported to CDC for 07; but where is the 08 version?

1980 - Jan. 2008 ...all 50 states broken down by years!

http://www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

Betty note: I tried printing out the chart, but it goes SIDEWAYS, and tried printing in pages 1, 2, 3; it kept printing page 1 only! So just a warning if others try to do this; use your PRINT REVIEW FIRST which I did, and indicated DIFFERENT pages, but still got page 1 only! I gave up after 8 tries! uffda [Smile]

Why do the IDSA, infectiuos drs. like shapiro WANT TO STOP US CHRONIC LYME PATIENTS from getting our lyme bill. HR 1179, in congress for over 10 years ..... STOPPED and NOT PUT ON AGENDA for the energy sub-committee chaired by NJ House Rep Frank Pallone ???

Why was Pallone given over $505,000 in 08 by the "medical community" ??? Each year it increases; follow the money!

Our money goes for our OUT OF POCKET LYME/CO-INFECTION expenses for our appointments, treatments, labs, travel expenses, etc!

Many I have gotten to know these last 5 years have lost:

their jobs;
their spouse and sometimes custody of their children;
their HEALTH INSURANCE;
their homes;
bankruptcy,
and the ultimate loss .... SUICIDE since they no longer have anything to look forward to but pain and abandonment by the USA SYSTEM, and many times; family and friends!

IowaBettyG, lyme activist

Recommended 1 | Report Abuse

Freethinker
Member # 13002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freethinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmc:
to find their OWN words debunking the "hard to get easy to cure" just peruse http://www.lymecryme.com

There are the papers not just the "I heard" stuff. It is the actual papers.

Thank you dmc. You are correct. All the papers on the Lyme Cryme website are original and are not just "hear say". Everything on the site is backed up with a paper, website or film.

Please go and view a new addition:

LYME DISEASE: A DIAGNOSTIC AND TREATMENT

DILEMMA

' 4.L 1 1/4: S. HRG. 103-265 -- -- = =

Une Disease: A Diagnostic and Trea. ..

HEARING

OF THE

COMMITTEE ON

LABOR AND HUMAN RESOURCES

UNITED STATES SENATE

ONE HUNDRED THIRD CONGRESS
FIRST SESSION

My question is: Why hasn't anyone held these senators who promised to help accountable? [confused]

--------------------
Stop Lyme Cryme!

-Data Over Dogma
Evidence Over Egos
Patients Over Politics.
-EJ Masters

Peer Observations Magazine

Posts: 40 | From Southern Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement