LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme disease in Florida? One mom's warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme disease in Florida? One mom's warning
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease in Florida? One mom's warning

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_momsatwork/2009/04/lyme-disease-in-florida-one-moms-warning.html

PLease send your commments

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for her for getting the word out.

I hope the doctors read this.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
livinlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for livinlyme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It stands to reason that any vacation area would be at risk and possibly higher risk than say your more remote less traveled area.. What are people thinking who right these guidlines?
The CDC should know better than this..

We have mass transportation today! Just like we can fly, so can ticks fly too! Common sense people, if we can board a plane then the ticks are coming with us if they are attached to our bodies.

IMHO there is no LOW RISK area,, even over seas! What ever ticks carry they are crossing boarders every day.. same thing goes with what ever ailments are over seas we are subject to contracting as well..

Swine flu has become again a concern in Mexico, and the USA.. they can't seem to understand why we have incidents in the USA ..
Well, geez let me think thru this one for you rocket scientists...

People commute on planes and trains and cars and if people can do this the little critters that we carry on these modes of transportation are coming with us..
plus they dont even have to be on us.. how about the luagage we carry or maybe even just hanging out in the car,...

please.. these are simple logical explainations and educated people we rely on ...can't think them through.. I am wondering how I managed to get the jump on the brain-iacs who set the guides up for a reference..

they obviously have a degree of some sort... much more than I have.. especially when you factor in the LYME.. but then again you might chalk it up to how Lyme victims think and the fact that we have to think more to keep up with everything going on..

Well I just had to add my two cents to this topic.. people have to be two steps ahead of this blasted disease.. but it appears we are all falling two steps behind it...

I am back on for a few and then I have to stop again as always.. LINDA D

--------------------
"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Posts: 1389 | From who knows, who cares, but somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lad1121
Member # 20133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lad1121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in florida for 4 years. i just moved back to P.A. 10 months ago.

My husband and I were always outdoors in the most swampy areas around.

We went fishing, crabbing, etc....

I have been in treatment for lyme for 2 months now.My llmd says babs is high in florida.

anyone else hear this?

Posts: 21 | From p.a. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrutty
Member # 20060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrutty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Lad1121, I believe an epidemiologist at the University of North Florida has found a high incidence of babesia in FL ticks.

Had to laugh about livinlyme's comment about flying ticks, reminded me of my old Fam Doc.

I told him I was bit by a tick in Tampa at the Air Force Base. My doc said, "Well if you do have Lyme it wouldn't be from a FL tick, because they can't carry Lyme..."

He went on, "Maybe a tick jumped off an airplane and into your pants! It's possible, I guess?"

His opinion was courtesy of the IDSA's talks to doctors.

Turns out birds can carry it too, they have wings.

Posts: 22 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jrutty
Member # 20060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jrutty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Lad1121, I believe an epidemiologist at the University of North Florida has found a high incidence of babesia in FL ticks.

Had to laugh about livinlyme's comment about flying ticks, reminded me of my old Fam Doc.

I told him I was bit by a tick in Tampa at the Air Force Base. My doc said, "Well if you do have Lyme it wouldn't be from a FL tick, because they can't carry Lyme..."

He went on, "Maybe a tick jumped off an airplane and into your pants! It's possible, I guess?"

His opinion was courtesy of the IDSA's talks to doctors.

Turns out birds can carry it too, they have wings. Geography isn't relevant, except for maybe at the poles.

Posts: 22 | From Tampa, FL | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's alot of people in denial. I guess the idea of this being as wide spread as it is - would make some people & doctors uncomfortable. But hey, guess what? It's in every state!

There's actually some recognition in SC of the Lyme issue. They are having a rally about Lyme on May 14th....

-----

Join The Lyme Rally For Southern States
May 14, 2009!

NUMBERS COUNT

Lt. Governor Andre Bauer will be speaking on behalf of Lyme Disease patients.

There will be additional speakers such as representatives from South Carolina and other neighboring states. This Lyme Disease rally will be held on Thursday May 14th between 10-11:30 am. in Columbia, South Carolina.

This rally is not just for those in SC, but for patients, family members and friends of Lyme Disease victims from surrounding states to be included. Legislators will be in session and they have received personal invitations to this event.

Please join us for this historic event and make your presence known. Lyme Disease as you know, is a much bigger issue than is imagined by the general populous which barely knows what it is.

We need to show this by our numbers. Your presence or those that you know of will be a huge boost to getting Lyme into the mainstream and recognized.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement