LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flu prevention ideas... Please post!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flu prevention ideas... Please post!
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In light of the potential flu pandemic, could people post any ideas they may have that would decrease the risk for all of us?

I will copy some ideas from another thread that was posted.

-----

UPDATE 2-WHO chief says swine flu has pandemic potential
(from Reuters)

"The new H1N1 flu strain -- a mixture of swine, human and avian flu viruses which has killed up to 68 people among 1,004 suspected cases in Mexico and infected eight in the United States -- is still poorly understood and the situation is evolving quickly, Chan said."

--

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
copied from the other thread-

---

Truthfinder

Anyway, I've got my homeopathic Influenzinum 200C handy as a flu preventative if I hear of any cases in my area.

Just one dose a week is recommended during times of possible exposure.

Even if I do get the flu, it should be a milder case. Influenzinum can also be used for treatment.

And for some reason, it is available to the public though still considered a nosode (I have no answer for that).

I've also got the homeopathic flu medicine Occillococcinum - you can get the Occillo just about anywhere OTC these days.... I can't remember if it's just for treatment or for prevention, also.

---

MariaA

boneset herb, which is helpful for some Lyme symptoms, works superbly for flu and has been used for pandemic flu in the distant past with some success (I think the 1918 pandemic, the really bad one)

Andrographis, which is used for Lyme by a lot of us, has also been used for pandemic flu in India, I can't recall which outbreak, possibly a later one from 1918 that was less virulent than the one that hit the West.

People tend to combine andrographis with eleuthero (Siberian Ginseng) for flu.

Andrographis can give some people a herx and occasionally allergic reactions for a small number of people.

---

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a bunch of emails about this today from newsletters I subscribe to. A number of them talk about using MMS.

I've never used it but I know some here have so they may have info.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

From WebMD -

12 Natural Tips to Prevent a Cold

There are no known cures for colds and flu, so cold and flu prevention should be your goal.

A proactive approach to warding off colds and flu is apt to make your whole life healthier. The most effective way for preventing the flu is to get the flu shot.

It may not be natural, but it works better than anything else. But there are other strategies you can employ as well. WebMD went to Charles B. Inlander, president of The People's Medical Society, for suggestions you may want to try:

#1 Wash Your Hands

Most cold and flu viruses are spread by direct contact. Someone who has the flu sneezes onto their hand, and then touches the telephone, the keyboard, a kitchen glass.

The germs can live for hours -- in some cases weeks -- only to be picked up by the next person who touches the same object. So wash your hands often. If no sink is available, rub your hands together very hard for a minute or so.

That also helps break up most of the cold germs. Or rub an alcohol-based hand sanitizer onto your hands.

#2 Don't Cover Your Sneezes and Coughs With Your Hands

Because germs and viruses cling to your bare hands, muffling coughs and sneezes with your hands results in passing along your germs to others. When you feel a sneeze or cough coming, use a tissue, then throw it away immediately.

If you don't have a tissue, turn your head away from people near you and cough into the air.

#3 Don't Touch Your Face

Cold and flu viruses enter your body through the eyes, nose, or mouth.

Touching their faces is the major way children catch colds, and a key way they pass colds on to their parents.

#4 Drink Plenty of Fluids

Water flushes your system, washing out the poisons as it rehydrates you.

A typical, healthy adult needs eight 8-ounce glasses of fluids each day.

How can you tell if you're getting enough liquid? If the color of your urine runs close to clear, you're getting enough. If it's deep yellow, you need more fluids.

#5 Take a Sauna

Researchers aren't clear about the exact role saunas play in prevention, but one 1989 German study found that people who steamed twice a week got half as many colds as those who didn't.

One theory: When you take a sauna you inhale air hotter than 80 degrees, a temperature too hot for cold and flu viruses to survive.

#6 Get Fresh Air

A regular dose of fresh air is important, especially in cold weather when central heating dries you out and makes your body more vulnerable to cold and flu viruses.

Also, during cold weather more people stay indoors, which means more germs are circulating in crowded, dry rooms.

#7 Do Aerobic Exercise Regularly

Aerobic exercise speeds up the heart to pump larger quantities of blood; makes you breathe faster to help transfer oxygen from your lungs to your blood; and makes you sweat once your body heats up.

These exercises help increase the body's natural virus-killing cells.

#8 Eat Foods Containing Phytochemicals

"Phyto" means plants, and the natural chemicals in plants give the vitamins in food a supercharged boost.

So put away the vitamin pill, and eat dark green, red, and yellow vegetables and fruits.

#9 Eat Yogurt

Some studies have shown that eating a daily cup of low-fat yogurt can reduce your susceptibility to colds by 25 percent.

Researchers think the beneficial bacteria in yogurt may stimulate production of immune system substances that fight disease.

#10 Don't Smoke

Statistics show that heavy smokers get more severe colds and more frequent ones.

Even being around smoke profoundly zaps the immune system. Smoke dries out your nasal passages and paralyzes cilia.

These are the delicate hairs that line the mucous membranes in your nose and lungs, and with their wavy movements, sweep cold and flu viruses out of the nasal passages.

Experts contend that one cigarette can paralyze cilia for as long as 30 to 40 minutes.

#11 Cut Alcohol Consumption

Heavy alcohol use suppresses the immune system in a variety of ways.

Heavier drinkers are more prone to initial infections as well as secondary complications. Alcohol also dehydrates the body -- it actually takes more fluids from your system than it puts in.

#12 Relax

If you can teach yourself to relax, you can activate your immune system on demand.

There's evidence that when you put your relaxation skills into action, your interleukins -- leaders in the immune system response against cold and flu viruses -- increase in the bloodstream.

Train yourself to picture an image you find pleasant or calming. Do this 30 minutes a day for several months. Keep in mind, relaxation is a learnable skill, but it is not doing nothing.

People who try to relax, but are in fact bored, show no changes in blood chemicals.

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two relatively harmless herbal things I know of were used in pandemics in the past: Boneset tea by itself (it's awesome, absolutely amazing for any flu) and andrographis herb capsules and eleutherococcus tincture (together with andrographis).

(many other herbal treatments were used successfully but they have potentially poisonous effects and shouldn't be self-administered, like aconite, which can kill you. During the 1918 pandemic the physicians that used some of these herbs kept really good notes and did a lot of post-pandemic followup to try to assess what worked and what didn't, so we have fairly good data on all of this. They had much better outcomes with keeping patients alive than did the non-herbal-using physicians at the time)

Both of these happen to also help with some Lyme issues- andrographis is a major part of the Buhner Protocol and boneset is one part of what Buhner recommends for bartonella (I dont know what rates of success people have with his bartonella protocol but the Lyme one works reasonably well it seems). You might herx on either of these. Boneset is a minor analgesic, very specific for flu body pains, and it was a real lifesaver for me for Lyme at one point when I had a lot of flu-like body pains from Lyme. Boneset modifies production of some immune system components, as does eleuthero. Boneset basically does what people think echinacea does for colds and flu. you can take it long-term. It may cause slight nausea at first.

Andrographis kills a lot of different kinds of bacteria and viruses. It has been well-studied for it's efficacy against flu and cold viruses. It also goes after spirochetes, both Lyme and dental gum disease spirochetes.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about colloidal silver? I know someone who uses that for respiratory infections...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maria, where does one find boneset tea?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the news tonight, they reported that Tamiflu

Is working against this flu.

There are more and more cases in the US being reported.

No deaths in the US have been attributed to this disease.

In Mexico they are walking around with surgical masks on.

That could make doing Speech Therapy really interesting.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Geneal--did they mention exactly how many in the US have gotten it/what states they're in?
sparkle7
Member # 10397

excerpts from Reuters-

MEXICO CITY/GENEVA, April 25 (Reuters) - A new flu that has killed up to 68 people in Mexico could start a global epidemic, the World Health Organization warned on Saturday, as tests showed the strain might be spreading in the United States.

Mexico's crowded capital, where most of the deaths happened and home to some 20 million people, hunkered down in fear of the swine flu.

Tests confirmed that eight New York City schoolchildren had a type A influenza virus that was likely to be the swine flu, the city's health commissioner said. Kansas state health officials confirmed two cases of swine flu, CNN reported, adding to the original eight cases in the United States.
---

A British Airways cabin crew member was taken to a London hospital as a precaution after developing flu-like symptoms on a flight from Mexico City. It was the first such reported precautionary measure in Britain.

---

The WHO says the virus from 12 of the Mexican patients is genetically the same as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas.

----------------

excerpt-

http://www.rutherford.org/articles_db/commentary.asp?record_id=449

Which is More Dangerous to Your Health--the Flu or the FDA?

by John W. Whitehead
12/21/2006

The flu season is here once again. During the last flu season, doctors reportedly wrote more prescriptions for the drug Tamiflu than any other flu treatment.

But after recent reports about the Food and Drug Administration's reluctance to issue a warning about certain possible dangers of using Tamiflu, one has to wonder which is more dangerous--the flu or the FDA?

First approved by the FDA in 1999, Tamiflu was touted as a drug that could significantly reduce the length and severity of influenza.

These claims even prompted the U.S. government to purchase 20 million doses of Tamiflu--at a cost of $2 billion--in the event that a bird flu pandemic occurred.

The Pentagon followed, paying a whopping $58 million in July 2005 for treatments of U.S. troops around the world.

However, problems with Tamiflu began to surface in 2004. It was thought that the drug, which has been used by over 30 million people worldwide, was causing some of its users to manifest very unusual behavior.

For example, during the 2004 and 2005 flu seasons, two teenage boys committed suicide within hours of taking Tamiflu.

The 17-year-old jumped in front of a large truck on a busy road after walking outside his house barefoot and in pajamas during a snowstorm.

The 14-year-old jumped to his death from the balcony of a ninth-floor flat. Later, a teenage girl was narrowly prevented from jumping to her death from a window within days of starting a course of the flu drug.

By November 2005, it had been reported that 12 Japanese children had died while on the drug and that others had experienced hallucinations, encephalitis and other symptoms.

Despite these alarming reports, the FDA voted not to issue a warning about the drug's potential for causing abnormal behavior.

Instead, the FDA chose to warn of Tamiflu's potential for producing skin rashes.

It wasn't until reports surfaced of more than 100 new cases of delirium, hallucinations and other abnormal psychiatric behavior in children treated with Tamiflu that the FDA changed course and added a warning label in November 2006.

Over the years, the FDA has been accused of causing high drug prices, keeping life-saving drugs off the market, allowing unsafe drugs on the market because of pressure from pharmaceutical companies and censoring health information about nutritional supplements and foods.

One such critic is Dr. David Graham, Associate Director for Science and Medicine and a senior drug safety researcher at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. In his estimation, the FDA is ``responsible for 140,000 heart attacks and 60,000 dead Americans.

That's as many people as were killed in the Vietnam War.'' His words offer an insider's perspective on the fatal role he believes the FDA played in thousands of heart attacks and deaths caused by the pain medication Vioxx--a medication the FDA approved and initially failed to warn of its potential effects.

Indeed, the Vioxx debacle was brought to America's attention when Congress was presented with evidence showing that among the estimated 20 million users of Vioxx, hundreds of thousands had died or suffered heart attacks as a result of taking the drug.

--

I'm not taking Tamiflu!

sparkle7
Member # 10397

If needed -

3M 1860 N95 Health Care Particulate Respirator
http://www.masksnmore.com/3m18hecapare.html

(No, I don't make any money from these...)

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Colloidal silver seems good but I haven't studies it much. I tried it a few times but it didn't seem to do much for me.

Garlic may help & I read that oil of oregano is useful.

Also - having an ozone generator or using ozone may be worthwhile. I just started researching it so i don't know alot about it.

You can ozonate olive oil & take it internally...

Tea tree oil & eucalyptus may be useful to make up a spray for rooms & to use on hands or handkerchiefs.

Just off the top of my head...

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
H - I have boneset tea. I found it at a health food store. It's not actually tea (at least what I found and have read about in the Buhner book) - it's a liquid tincture in those little dropper bottles (you mix 10-15 or so drops in some water and drink it). I have some in my medicine cabinet still. I used it a few times in the past because Buhner claims it to be good for Bartonella. It never gave me a herx. Some of the herbs I've taken don't. The herb that gave me the worst herx ever was Andrographis.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, Sparkle!

Regarding the Influenzinum 200C, I've had a few requests asking where to get this remedy.

First, try to call your local health food store and ask if they have it or if they can get if from their regular suppliers. If so, this can save you time and shipping costs. I do that frequently here at the little store in my town. They can often get remedies for me up through a 200C and do not charge me any shipping. If that fails, here are some popular websites for homeopathics:

Natural Health Supply is the place where I got my Influenzinum 200C. I bought a larger, 1 oz. bottle of the #10 tiny remedy `granules' ($23.00) and also ordered a dozen small 1/2 dram amber glass vials ($6.00) at the same time. Then I made up small bottles of the remedy to `share' with friends. (Buying 12 of the 1/2 dram bottles of remedy would cost about $100.)

I see that they now offer 3 different sizes of remedy pellets - if you're not used to the tiny #10 granules, they can be hard to work with, so I suggest getting the #20 size pellets and if you want additional small bottles so you can `share' the remedy, you might want to get the 1 dram vials ($7.00) because you can't get as many of the #20 pellets in the 1/2 dram size bottles.

One other tip: Elixirs.com (see below) offers `flu remedies' made up for the current year. You don't need those. What you want is the standard `non-year specific' Influenzinum remedy, sometimes referred to as `Nelson's Influenzinum'.

List of Professional Homeopathic Labs:
(These labs generally offer remedies in #10 poppyseed-size granules, but some offer an option if you want the larger globules or pellets (BB size or smaller)

Natural Health Supply
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505 USA
1-888-689-1608
Hand-succussed remedies made in on-site laboratory
Kits, single remedies, books, amber glass bottles, etc.
(I order a lot from here)
http://www.a2zhomeopathy.com/
e-mial: [email protected]

Washington Homeopathic Products
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia 25411 USA
1-800-336-1695
This is a reputable lab, but my homeopath got a bottle of Arnica from them once that was a `dud' so she won't order from them anymore.
http://homeopathyworks.com/jshop/index.php

Hahneman Laboratories
San Rafael, California 94901 USA
1-888-427-6422
Fairly expensive compared to other companies, but...
Carry many intermediate and odd potencies
Nosodes are available to patients under the care of a professional homeopath (practitioner's name required)
http://www.hahnemannlabs.com/
e-mail: [email protected]

List of sources for standard commercial remedies:

Elixirs.com (Homeopathy for Health)
Moses Lake, WA 98837-1623
1-800-390-9970 (10 - 5 p.m. Pacific Time, M-F)
http://www.elixirs.com/prodSearch.cfm?ProductName=&ProductCategory=Single+Remedies

Small Flower
Chicago, IL
1-800-252-0275
Carry mostly Boiron brand homeopathics
http://www.smallflower.com/category/canh2/canh2666

Present Moment
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
800-378-3245
http://presentmoment.com/
e-mial: [email protected]

Computer-generated remedies:

Celletech
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Carry different brands
1-800-888-4066
Carry many "homeotherapeutic" nosodes (available to the public)
Page for single remedies:
http://celletech.com/commerce/catalog.jsp?catId=50&companyId=50

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A book I have on orthomolecular medicine (vitamin therapy) claims that high doses of Vitamin D can ward off the flu. Also, Vitamin C.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this in my notes a bit ago about Influenzinum 200C.....

This was a post at Otherhealth.com in 2006:

quote:
Before I was deeply involved in homeopathy.... I was seeing a grand old homeopath in Philly named Ray Seidel. In 1971 (or was it 1972?) when the "Swine Flu" was approaching, I asked him about getting a "flu shot." He said, "Nah. It will do nothing but make you sick. Hold out your tongue..." And he gave me a single dose of Nelson's Influenzinum 200. He gave me a little packet of the stuff and suggested I give it to the folks I worked with.

I was able to convince three of my colleagues to accept this "alternate" flu shot. None of us got the flu, although there were many absences of others during the winter. As I learned more about homeopathy, I asked Seidel about his success with giving Influenzinum, and he said he had never had a patient of his get the flu after receiving the remedy. He had a practice in Philly of about 3,000 people.

Also, don't forget about Essential Oils as a preventative. My essential oil book has many listings for flu.

Thieves Oil (Young Living brand) is one of my favorites, and it is recommended in combination with Melaleuca (Tea Tree oil?). I've used very diluted Thieves oil for years to fend off stuff like colds and flu when I knew I'd been exposed.

Just put about 5 drops of Thieves Oil in about 1/2 oz. of distilled water in one of those plastic perfume-type spritzers. Shake it up before using. Just spritz the air in front of you, close your eyes, take a step into the `mist', and inhale deeply a few times. I do that about 3 times at least once a day if there's a `bug' going around. I also spritz stuff like my pillow and directly on my chest (on my clothes), my phone, my keyboard, etc.

As I posted in another thread:
Thieves oil is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon bark, Eucalyptus, Rosemary. Supposedly, it was used by a group of 15th-century robbers to protect themselves from contracting the Plague when they robbed the bodies of the dead and dying. Pretty disgusting, but the Plague wasn't the only thing they encountered in those situations.....

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I like the Deseret Biological products. I wonder if they have some preventative remedies?

I'll call them on Monday.

Thanks for the info Tracy!

Plenty of sunlight may help with vit. D...

PS - Don't get burned, though!

[ 04-26-2009, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: sparkle7 ]

bettyg
Unregistered

our local newspaper had tips awhile ago, and this one stood out to me...

when COUGHING, COUGH INTO YOUR ELBOW AREA!! i've seen a lot of that done since the article was published.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090426/ap_on_re_us/us_swine_flu_states

2 swine flus in Kan., US total 11; 8 likely in NYC (AP)

St. Francis Preparatory School is seen in the Queens borough of New York, Saturday, April 25, 2009.

Hundreds of alumni are reuniting at a New York City high school that is being sanitized after health officials warned that eight current students probably have swine flu.

A city health department spokeswoman says the building is being sanitized as a precaution.

But she says it's not really the environment that passes the flu.

(AP Photo/David Karp)

AP - Two cases of the human swine influenza have been confirmed in Kansas and one more in California, bringing the U.S. total to 11.

At least eight students at a New York City high school probably have swine flu also, but health officials said Saturday they don't know whether they have the same strain of the virus that has killed people in Mexico.

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chinese remedies for colds and flu that work well:

Yin Chao (available at all health food stores, I think)
Gan Mao Ling

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Really interesting articles, Keebler. I didn't know Tamiflu was made from star anise.

There alot of good info about Chinese herbal remedies for flu in this one -

www.itmonline.org/arts/flu.htm

Betty - I'm so glad I escaped from NY! I can't begin to imagine what a real pandemic would be like there. Let's hope this all turns into being a washout & overblown by the media.

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being bedridden does sometimes have its benefits...hard to get exposed to this if you never leave your bed or house.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Friends,

A homeopathic doctor friend of mine came up with what he calls TOTAL TONIC! This is a good preventative. (Additionally, echinacea and other things already mentioned on this thread would be helpful)

Here's the basics of it:

You get some ORGANIC apple cider vinegar, ginger, horseradish, garlic, onion, cilantro--about equal proportions of the solids--and a habanero pepper or two.

You blend up the ginger, horseradish, onion, garlic, and cilantro in the apple cider vinegar--enough of this to make a good liquid slurry. Add the habanero pepper, and blend again.

Then, strain. Put the liquid in a glass jar. You can also eat the solids like salsa! These keep for a long, long time in the refridgerator.

Use the liquid as a tincture.

To make this go right into all the cells in the body, you get US PURE Pharmaceutical or chemical grade DMSO that is stored in BROWN GLASS, and dilute it with distilled water so that it is about a 2-5% solution. Then, you add a bit of this to the tincture in some more distilled water.

DMSO is not "authorized" for ingestion. It goes right through the skin, for example, and you can taste it within a few seconds.

Personally, I do use it internally. This is your choice.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

the herbs and vegetables, minus the DMSO, is a time-honored folk remedy for symptom relief once you do get sick.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a quote about LOMATIUM:

The Use of Lomatium Root in Treating an Influenza Pandemic
Posted by Ed Smith

Lately I've been receiving many queries about which herbs can be used in the prevention and treatment of Avian Flu (a.k.a. The Bird Flu). There is no definitive answer to this question, nor am I able to locate any scientific research on this subject. However, as herbalists are always doing, we can look back in history for some possible answers.

During the pandemic of 1918-19 over 50-million people died worldwide from what was then know as ``Spanish Flu'' or ``La Grippe.'' This was the most devastating epidemic in recorded history and infected one-fifth of the world's population. An estimated 28% of the American population was infected and 675,000 died during the pandemic. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe during World War I, half died from the influenza pandemic and not from the enemy. In the USA influenza had a mortality rate of 2.5%, with many people dying within hours of manifesting symptoms.

One herb that appears to have been very successfully used by Nevada Native Americans during this pandemic was the root of Lomatium dissectum, which at the time was named Leptotaemia dissecta. This use of Lomatium was observed by Dr. Ernest Krebs and is reported by him below.

The following is verbatim from: Bulletin of the Nevada State Board of Health, No. 1, Carson City, Nevada, January, 1920.

AN INDIAN REMEDY FOR INFLUENZA
In publishing this paper the State Board of Health does not give its endorsement to the remedy until it has had further trial. We merely present the facts as stated by Dr. Krebs, with the idea of giving the matter publicity and encouraging others to give it a trial.

During the fall of 1918 when the influenza epidemic visited this section of Nevada, the Washoe Indian used a root in the treatment of their sick which was gathered along the foot-hills of this slope of the Sierra. The plant proved to be a rare species of the parsley family (Leptotaemia dissecta), according to a report from the University of California. The Indians gather this root in the late fall, November being considered the proper month for gathering. The root is used in the fresh or dry state. It is cut up and a decoction is made by boiling the root in water, skimming off the top and giving large doses of the broth. A pound of root is considered about the proper dose to treat a case of fever for three days, which is the longest time needed to break up a fever due to influenza or a pulmonary disease, although the Washoes used it as a panacea. Whether a coincidence or not, there was not a single death in the Washoe tribe from influenza or its complications, although Indians living in other parts of the State where the root did not grow died in numbers. It was such a remarkable coincidence that the root was investigated by a practicing physician who saw apparently hopeless cases recover without any other medication or care of any kind. A preparation was prepared and employed in a great many cases among the whites, from the mildest to the most virulent types of influenza, and it proved, among other things, that it is the nearest approach we have today to a specific in epidemic influenza and the accompanying pneumonia. Where used early it proved itself to be a reliable agent in preventing pulmonary complications. Other physicians were induced to give it a trial, with the same results. It is beyond the experimental stage, as its therapeutic action in this direction is established and beyond any doubt. The cases in which it has been used run into the hundreds. There is probably no therapeutic agent so valuable in the treatment of influenzal pneumonia and, as far as being tried, in ordinary lobar pneumonia if started early. Its action on coughs is more certain than the opiate expectorants and its benefit is lasting. It acts as a powerful tonic to the respiratory mucous membranes. It is a bronchial, intestinal and urinary antiseptic and is excreted by these organs. It seems to stimulate the pneogastries (sic) and causes a slow pulse with increased volume and reduced tension. It is a pronounced diaphoretic and somewhat diuretic, and it is a stimulating and sedative expectorant. In large doses it is a laxative, and in extreme doses emetic. To make a therapeutically active preparation, the proper variety of the root must be selected in the late fall and properly cured out of the sun. Its active principles must be extracted with as little as possible of the objectionable constituents. The active principles of the root are decidedly complex. It contains a glucoside (as its solutions precipitate copper from Fehling's solution). It contains one or more alkaloids and an acid analogous to benzoic acid, one or more volatile and fixed oils, a resin and a gum. It can be seen from this that it resembles a balsam from the fact that it contains an oleogumresin and an acid besides alkaloids and glucosides. One can at once appreciate the fact that a reliable pharmaceutical preparation representing the action of the root is not readily made. The volatile oil, which is one of the principal therapeutic agents, is lost in making a decoction. This particular variety of Leptotaemia is not as common as believed as some, and it is this particular variety that has medicinal or therapeutic virtues. It grows in dry sandy soil, as a rule, under or between tall sagebrush or greasewood. The plant grows from two to four feet high and has a blossom similar to wild parsnip and leaves like a carrot. It is a perennial, and the older roots frequently weigh from two to six pounds. It sprouts early in April, blooms in May, seeds in June, and withers in July. A number of trials in transplanting the root have been made, but none were successful. Leptotaemia dissecta is destined to become one of the most useful if not the most important addition to our vegetable materia medica.
ERNST T. KREBS, M.D. Carson City, Nevada

I was first introduced to Lomatium root in 1978 by the venerable naturopathic physician, Dr. John Bastyr. He told me that for many years he would hike into the Cascade Mountains of eastern Washington to harvest the Lomatium root that he used in his medical practice. However, his old age was preventing him from making his yearly harvest and he suggested that I harvest the root, prepare it as a fresh (undried) root tincture, and sell it through my newly established herb business, Herb Pharm. I took his advice and soon was selling pints and quarts of this powerful remedy to Dr. Bastyr and other naturopathic doctors.

Dr. Bastyr shared with me stories of his successful clinical use of Lomatium as an anti-viral in the treatment of colds, flu, pneumonia, and other related maladies. At the time, very few people knew of Lomatium, but Dr. Bastyr's teachings kept knowledge of this herb alive among naturopathic doctors and medical students, and I and a few other herbalists (e.g., Michael Moore) spread the word to our herb students, patients and customers. Today Lomatium is well know among American naturopathic doctors and clinical herbalists and is available in many natural foods and herb stores.

Lomatium is a reasonably safe herb to use internally but it can rarely cause a troublesome side effect. Patients who take large or long-continued doses of Lomatium can sometimes develop an annoying skin rash. This rash can be minor and only affect a small area of skin, or it can be painful and cover the whole body. However, practitioners who have seen this rash say that discontinuing the intake of Lomatium right away will cause the rash to disappear within 1 to 7 days with no ill or lasting effects. I've heard of cases of this rash being treated by cortisone, but evidently with no positive effect. Discontinuing the herb and time seem to be the best remedy. I want to emphasize here that developing a rash from taking Lomatium is not that common -- although it does happen.

The recommended dose of a Lomatium fresh-root tincture (1:2) is 20 to 30 drops, which can be taken in water at 2 or 3 doses per day.

CAUTION: The above information is for historical purposes only. There is no scientific evidence that Lomatium could be effective in the treatment of Avian Flu or any other disease. Avian flu, pneumonia and other serious diseases should be treated by a qualified healthcare practitioner.

/herb-pharm.com/blogs/herbaled_weblog/?p=22

UNQUOTE

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear sparkle7,
For the past several years, I have relied heavily on Sambucol. It is black elderberry extract. This supplement boosts immunity between 150 to 300 percent. As a person who always used to go into Bronchitis, I wish I had found this sooner. Protection against the flu and colds is priceless, and even when I did catch a cold, I got over it entirely in a week while everyone else still had their cough for weeks after.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best and cheapest prevention:

1. Never, never touch your eyes, nose or mouth with your hands unless you have just washed them vigorously with soap and water and have not touched anything else after washing, including the faucet or doorknob....use a clean paper towel for that.

It takes alot of thought to do this since many people routinely wipe their eyes or put their fingers in their mouths without even thinking.

2. Wash your hands often with soap and water....even after doing routine things like opening the mailbox.

3. Do not cough into your hands or the air. Cough into your shoulder, or pull open the neckline of your shirt, cover your mouth with it and cough on your chest, or cough into a tissue....and then dispose of the tissue properly and wash your hands with soap.

4. Stay home if you do not feel well, especially fever, body aches (ooops, we'd all have to stay home everyday), sore throat, and headaches which are the most common flu symptoms.

5. Do not invite visitors into your home if you have flu symptoms.

6. Do not visit sick people.

7. Contact your Dr immediately if you are having flu symptoms.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heiwalove,

You can get boneset tea from www.zooscape.com. They have it loose and also in bags.

They're running a sale right now.

And like MariaA, I've also had very good results from Yin Chiao. If it doesn't prevent an illness entirely, it really reduces the symptoms and duration.

viva

[ 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: viva ]

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avoid friends back from Me'-hee-ko.

Extra Vit. C, herbs to boost immune.

Avoid directly touching handles in public places:
a) doorknobs, middle part of flat metal "grabs"
b) gas pump handles
c) public faucets & toilets

Stay RESTED.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeberry
Unregistered

A single clove of garlic worn around the neck on a string.
bettyg
Unregistered

just posted this on greta aka 2roads post where she might have swine flu....

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm
above link is TEXT of the video below!!

has suggestions on meds, etc. on what to do and discusses CHILDREN!

good, informative 5.5 minute swine flu video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85sD83aRUIQ

below link is where i got this from and has much more there:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/swineflu.html#cat42

if you need things, have a neighbor/friend/family member go do things for you. STAY HOME; keep son at home too. wear MASKS also in home or anywhere.

greta, my best to you, your son, and family. [group hug] [kiss]

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

The mild `flu' that we are seeing now in the USA could be a `killer' flu by fall, according to one interview I saw last night on FOX News. Apparently, flu viruses can mutate rapidly so we can't know what to expect in the coming months. It may just fizzle out right away, or it may not.

Be prepared as best you can with whatever you are comfortable with.

Most patients in a particular epidemic will experience similar symptoms. The homeopathic remedy that matches the symptoms that most people are getting will also be the best preventative. If such a remedy is found, one dose of 30C potency once or twice a week is most often recommended.

Meanwhile, I've got my homeopathic Influenzinum 200C ready until I get further information.

Here is an article on Swine Flu, symptoms that may be expected, and a list of remedies (and corresponding symptoms) that may be helpful in treatment (or prevention as I mentioned above).

http://www.hpathy.com/diseases/Swine-flu-symptoms-treatment.asp

I'm keeping my eye on some homeopathic websites and will report news of any specific remedies that are being used for this latest flu outbreak.

--------------------
Tracy

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Dr K's prevention ideas -

1. Vaccination:

To prevent the flu, you may consider the flu vaccine (which is unlikely to
cover for the upcoming flu).

Don't hesitate to ask us for the three biological alternatives:
* the homeopathic oral version of the vaccine
* the mesotherapy version (a small amount of the real vaccine is
injected directly into the lymphatic system). Only a fraction of the
amount is used that is typical for the ``real'' vaccination. According to
French research, the rise in antibody titer is nearly the same without
the toxic side effects from the preservatives
* the standard intranasal flu vaccine

2. Biological prevention:

a) Core prevention treatment

* Wash your hands every time and as soon as you enter your house
(soap and water).

* Do not wear your street shoes inside your home!

* Take 2 capsules BioPure Freeze Dried Garlic after each meal during
the flu season * (or www.biopureus.com)

* Take loads of BioPure Chlorella (30 minutes before eating, 3-4
times per day) *

* ``Vitamin A emulsion forte'' from Biotics: 5 drops/day (unless you
are pregnant) *

* MediHerb Echinacea tincture 1-2 tsp/twice daily *

* Vitamin C (Pure Ascorbate): 2 grams 3 times/day *

* Take a good probiotic *

* Do Sauna therapy at least once/week

* Avoid stress and contact with large groups of people

* Don't fly (airplanes are certain ways to contract the illness)

* These products are available at Comprehensive Medical Center in Bellevue, WA

b) Optional:

* Take Trifal (ayurvedic herbal cocktail): 2 caps twice daily *

* Olive leaf: liquid Phyto Caps from Gaia Herbs: 2 caps 2-3
times/day

* Gigartina (red algae): 2 caps twice daily (Nature's Pantry)

* Vitamin C given intravenously can be life saving in the most severe
flu cases. Buy i.v Vitamin C supplies now! We at CMC and
anybody else who carries it will be out very soon after the flu hits!

Per person in your household you will need 10 bottles Vitamin
C (25 grams), 10 vials Calcium Gluconate, 10 iv bottles (500
ml sterile water), iv tubing for 10 ivs and ten 23 gauge
butterflies.

Please be advised that unused supplies will not be bought back
from you - since any medication picks up host energy and
contaminants and ages quickly. This is a preventive measure
that is fairly inexpensive, powerful - and at your own financial risk.

CMC also has other powerful injectable medications which you
may wish to inquire about.

If you can afford it: get a retreat place somewhere away from people
and wait out the worst there. Stockpile food and water as you may
have done for Y2K. The military will seal off our cities and declare
martial law as soon as the flu hits: you have to leave before this
happens or seal off your current home from the rest of the world for
as long as 2 months or so. Have a good water filter on your home
system. Watch the news!

* These products are available at Comprehensive Medical Center in Bellevue, WA

Treatment, when you do fall ill:

* Use the homeopathic ``oscillococcinum' from Boiron with the first
sign you may be getting the flu. Oscillo is sold in most US health
food stores

* taking vitamin C every hour until bowel tolerance is reached

* dissolving BioPure freeze dried garlic in a glass of water and
drinking 2 capsules every hour is almost certainly curative after a
while (the allicin released this way is the most powerful natural antiviral)

* Use your iv supplies (find a nurse or other i.v competent person now!)

* Consider taking medical antivirals in addition to your other program:

* I recommend Valtrex 1000 mg 3 times daily until you are well. This
may take a week. Then you may want to continue for another month
with 1 tablet daily. Valtrex is very costly (about 10 dollars/pill) and
will most certainly be out of stock rapidly. There is currently no
guarantee that it will work. Other medical antivirals may also work
(amantadine, acyclovir, etc.).

* Saunatherapy daily for 1 hour

* Raw vegetable and fruit diet

* For faster recovery: homeopathic eupatorium 12 X, 4 pellets 4 times
daily. Vitamin B complex and B12 injections i.m.

If it is Easter 2006 and you have done this program, and the flu has not hit,
you had a good general probably long needed virus clearing treatment this
winter and have not wasted much money.

If the flu has in fact come, you will be most likely among the people that can
talk about how it was and what you saw and what you learned. And there
will be other less fortunate people.

Please share this information with your family members and friends.

TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.stevequayle.com/News.alert/06_Prep_tips/090427.oils.html

Oils to Avoid Plague
By Ric

This blend was created from research about a group of 15th century thieves
and grave robbers who rubbed oils on themselves to avoid contracting the
plague while they robbed the bodies of the dead and dying. When apprehended
these thieves disclosed the formula of herbs, spices and oils they used to
protect themselves in exchange for more lenient punishment.

This blend of therapeutic-grade essential oils was tested at Weber State
University for its potent antimicrobial properties. Thieves oil was found to
have a 99.96% percent kill rate against airborne bacteria. The oils are
highly antiviral, antiseptic,antibacterial,anti-infectious and help to
protect the body against such illnesses as flu, colds,
sinusitis,bronchitis,pneumonia, sore throats, cuts etc.

Apply few drops to bottom of feet or stomach and rub into skin

Here is the receipt for the mixture place into a small brown bottle and add
the amounts of herbs listed below

* Clove oil (syzgium aromaticum) 200 drops or 1/2 ounce.

* Lemon oil (Citrus limon) 175 drops

* Cinnamon Bark oil (Cinnamoomum verum) 100 drops

* Eucalyptus oil ( Eucalyptus radiata) 75 drops

* Rosemary oil (Rosimarinus officinalis ) 50 drops

You can also use in small spray bottle and mist the air in home and car, I
also place mixture in a pan of water and place on wood stove during the
fall, winter and spring.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Hey, thanks for the Thieves Oil 'recipe', TS96!

Dr. K. makes some good suggestions, Sparkle. Like don't forget to stock up on a few basic things so you have 'provisions' and don't have to go out and get exposed if things get nasty out there.....

--------------------
Tracy

Niere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Niere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parisa's book seems to agree with an article that I found on-line regarding the benefits of Vitamin D in fending off the flu. I posted a link to this in one of the other threads, but this seems like an appropriate place to repost it.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php

It's a really great article. Within reason I've had my children outside without sunscreen so they can get their Vitamin D levels up.

For those who are familiar with Edgar Cayce and would be curious to know what he might recommend in a general sort of way here's an overview of his treatment rationale for the flu:

http://www.edgarcayce.org/health/database/health_resources/flu.asp

He was also big on keeping our bodies alkaline and I think over the next few weeks I'm going to be doing more to make sure that is the case.

And thanks for all these other great ideas--looks like I have a hefty trip coming up to the health food store...

*Edited to fix link*

Posts: 237 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Gee, now that the H1N1 Flu has been declared a pandemic by the WHO, maybe we should revisit this thread for ideas.....

I'll tell you one thing.... you would have to hold a gun to my head to make me get the new vaccine. [dizzy]

--------------------
Tracy

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Though there is still limited information, at this point it appears that the best homeopathic remedy for the H1N1 flu in the USA - and in some other countries - is Eupatorium-perfoliatum 30C .

This remedy is working for those who HAVE the flu, so it should work as a preventative, also (based on historical homeopathic data).

This is often a good remedy for flu with severe `bone pains', so it wouldn't hurt to have this one on hand anyway.

Things may change as fall and winter approach. I'll post anything new that I hear about.

--------------------
Tracy

MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a helpful website with many suggestions:

http://www.flu-treatments.com/

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

**bumping up for flu season**

--------------------
Tracy

lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Sparkle!

Do you know if Dr. K has updated the 2006 guidelines for the Flu just posted? Just wondering if he still suggests the Flu vaccine?

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin D.
Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

LP, I think Sparkle is taking a hiatus from LymeNet.....

Good question, though.

--------------------
Tracy

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can I do about my husband who thinks I'm a total germaphobe and won't wash his hands???

When he gets sick he still won't wash his hands. He touches frozen meat and then touches everything in the kitchen (daughter and I go around after him and sanitize). Since it's frozen it doesn't count. (?)

He's normally a sensible person and is very good about my illness overall with this (very big) exception. It makes me crazy.

He can't get it that when he does wash he needs to do it with soap and longer than 2 seconds. And if he washes and then touches something he's now exposed to germs. He prescribes to the theory that germs are good for us to build up a resistance.

The problem is that he NEVER gets food poisoning and only gets the rare cold - which he think validates his theory.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonsnotlymes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonsnotlymes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd has posted throughout her office signs about using Argentyn 23 to fight flu. I am already on it for lyme, but they recommended "off the record" that my husband and son start taking it now to help them stay healthy.
Posts: 103 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement