LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » levaquin caused tendonitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: levaquin caused tendonitis
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given levaquin for bartonella the beginning of Feb this year and developed tendonitis about a month later. I have had limited use of my arm for three months and could not use it all for one month. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to see a medial doctor this week. I don't know if I am permanently damaged or if this will resolve itself over time. I do not know if all my tendons are permanently weakened; if this can get better and then flare up again under stress. There is a class action law suit against Johnson and Johnson, the makes of this drug because it causes tendon rupture and tendonitis. Does anyone know anything about that? It makes me think that this damage may be permanent. Just my luck.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suffered the same thing. I had hideous sciatic pain that wrapped around my leg, all the way to my toes. Of course, no one suspected it was from the Levaquin - they sent me to physical therapy, which only made it worse. Took several months off the levaquin for improvement. It did subside and I don't believe I have permanent damage.

I don't know about the class action suit but am going to look into.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for some yes, for others no.

If you have tendon pain. STOP!

Also take magnessium.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you think this is happening? Do you think the antibiotics are reaching & killing the bartonella (and other bugs) embedded in the deeper tissue? That's my guess...

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does Bartonella hide? I really don't understand the disease at all. I need to learn more.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nefferdun,

see what Burrascano says about this. It may help you to recover. Hope so:

Levofloxacin is generally well tolerated, with almost no stomach upset. Very rarely, it can cause confusion- this is temporary (clears in a few days) and may be relieved by lowering the dose. There is, however, one side effect that would require it to be stopped- it may cause a painful tendonitis, usually of the largest tendons. If this happens, then the levofloxacin must be stopped or tendon rupture may occur. It has been suggested that loading the patient with magnesium may prevent this problem, and if the tendons do become affected, parenteral high dose vitamin C (plus parenteral magnesium) may afford rapid relief.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to stop Levaquin 3 weeks ago because of pain in my left heel, and now have tendonitis.

Have an appt. with the orthopedist Fri. to get checked out. I have been icing it for 3 weeks and trying to stay off it, but have not seen much improvement.

Since I can't tolerate the stronger nsaids (stomach problems), and we are to stay miles away from steroids, I'm hoping he will prescribe ultrasound tx.

Don't know anything about the suit, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I hope you get to feeling better, it is very frustrating, as we have enough to deal with without turning up with new problems!

Take care.

Linky

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got slight achilles tendon pains, and I had tried backing down to a mere 1/8 pill after that. I thought I could avoid the pain and still get some of the drug in me.

But the pain caught up with me and was really scary, even on such a tiny amount. My llmd didn't even think that was possible since I hadn't reached blood level, or whatever.

It's been about 4 months, and I still get the pain, but it's much better than it was.

Once again, STOP TAKING ASAP whenever you feel the start of tendon pain on this rx. Don't try to push through.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i took it for about 3-4 weeks. my legs hurt so bad i couldn't walk or even go up stairs.

i told my doc and he said "well it's so rare, it's not the levaquin" he finally switched when i threw a complete fit and said "i ain't taking it anymore. give me something else."

i still have problems with my legs over a year later. i never tore anything but it really hurt.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor thought I was herxing as the pain felt was just in my muscles at first. My back was also very painful. I continued to take the levaquin until I had a painful snap in my arm. That is when I quit taking it. My back is ok now but my arm still hurts. I went to physical therapy because I wanted ultrasound - got a few treatments but mostly exercises. It is not as bad but not better either. My rotater cuff (SP?) is affected. It is hard to sleep at night because I cannot lay down without it aching so I put 4 pillows behind me to sleep upright as possible.

What happens is the levaquin inhibits blood flow to the tendons, which already have very little blood flow, and they weaken. It has nothing to do with the bacteria. Some people have had a rupture after only days of use.

I will take a lot of vitamin C and more magnesium. I would encourage anyone taking this drug to quit using it at the first sign of any pain - not just pain in the joints.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this med sounds too brutal to use based on these experiences.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know one person on another board who knows a lot about this

i found out from her that often the damage will be occuring but you don't feel it. then 2 or more months after stopping med you feel the pain

this happened with me from only 10 days of cipro

i seemed to have gotten better-very slowly-just not doing anything that hurts

i wouldn't count much on regular orthos helping...but maybe they can

i will see if i can post her contact info for you or get her to come here

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok-i emailed her-she may come here or may tell me i can post her email

she seems to thing what schaller wrote is important.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyb2411
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyb2411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just confused on the levaquin issue and have no idea personally what to do. Rifampin isn't working for me, what else do you use?

This is such a tough battle. Your damned if you do, damned if you don't. It sux.

--------------------
Sx Start Jan 08 (test neg, but herxing)Susp Lyme, Bart + Babs??

ABX
Doxy 400mg + Amox 1g Jun - Sep 08
Rifampin 600mg + Biaxin 1000mg
Tinidazole 1000mg/day - Sep 08 to June 08

Currently taking Salt/C 15g (himalayan salt)

85-90% better

Posts: 231 | From Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun,

I understand your comment about blood flow restriction within the context of inflammation --which may ocurr during treatment with acute cases of infection in the tendon AND adjacent soft tissue AND veins and arteries! So perhaps the possible flow restriction is a highly variable phenomenon.

I searched high & low for any references on this issue and found nothing. Can you post some links to back up your conclusion? That would be helpful. Thanks for bringing this up.

Also, I wonder about how many people have thick blood -- as evident by a simple blood test measuring INR. Many people with chronic infections have thicker blood (for many reasons). This is relevant as it can further impede blood flow.

Lastly, some types of no-flush niacin have helped some people with blood flow issues in the legs. I recently saw a generic formulation of NiaSafe(no flush) at CVS...I was shocked.

[Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I saw the information given about levaquin at two of the sites about the class action lawsuits against Johnson and Johnson. You can just google and they will come up right away.

There has been advertisements on TV with a 800 number for people affected by levaquin - getting tendon rupture and tendinitis. Evidently, the incidence of this happening is much more frequent than the label suggested. I certainly did not feel vulnerable.

Dr S recommends using HH capsules (Zhang's) at "a very high dose". I am now taking 12 capsules a day and will work up to 15. He says it works but you have to take it for a long time and it is very expensive. Levaquin is 10 dollars a day so it comes out to be about the same without the side effects.

*** Edited to remove LLMD name ***

[ 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Lou B ]

--------------------

MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun,

I certainly hope that this will resolve in time.

Cold Feet, Here is a link with alot of references that you can investigate. (cannot quote w/o permission)

http://www.nursingcenter.com/prodev/ce_article.asp?tid=731201#

This is clearly a very risky drug and the FDA put the black box warning on it last year. You have to wonder with so many reported cases.

[ 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: MarsyNY ]

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on cipro in 2000 after my appendix burst (no idea what my IV abx were in hospital) and I'm not sure if it was the cirpo, but I felt AMAZINGLY happy for several weeks (didn't know I had Lyme back then).

I was only on cipro for about 3 weeks and didn't notice any tendon damage, but I know that it does and can happen.

So sorry that you are suffering!

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nessa143143
Member # 20340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nessa143143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It tore me up soooo bad. I had to stop taking it. I still have some of the bottle in my cabinet.
Posts: 63 | From Hell - Or at least it feels like it, Oh, I mean Tampa, FL. OOOps! :D | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly looks like there are other antibiotics that hit this better.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16916864

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/61/6/1252

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now list quinolones as something I'm "allergic" to because Levaquin caused my sciatica to get worse. I was freaked out because I knew it could be that way permanently.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never heard of

levaquin inhibits blood flow to the tendons

I would like to see that.

I believe thats its a bad drug but do the beneftis out weight the risks?

And who is to know who will be more effected by the side effects.

I saw on here that someone posted that extra MG can help.

I for one am only taking 20 mg at a time. I cant handle large doses.

Do you think that a small amount like that can cause damage?

I think the damage of the bacteria in my nervous system is much worse. At least thus far,.

However I would not like any tendon issues anyway. Ive had enough pain for 10 lives.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

The following is a quote from one of the web sites for class action law suits against the makers of Levaquin.

Some researchers speculate that fluoroquinolones are toxic to tendon fibers and may decrease blood supply in tendons that already have a limited amount of blood supply.

http://www.schmidtandclark.com/Levaquin/

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally, i wouldn't touch any dosage with a 10 foot pole...period.

have you tried biaxin? it's great for lyme...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Marsy good find!

Some of these excerpts from your link are making sense! Thanks.

Bear in mind that we all have good ideas here; some are mentioned in the excerpts below. This issue is:

- evolving, fluid;
- based on multiple factors (my point earlier);
- that this medicine may be TOO strong/effective for some or many folks;
- screening processes for such patients...where are they?!

Pathogenesis of Fluoroquinolone Tendinopathy

The pathogenesis of quinolone-induced tendinopathy is considered to be multifactorial. Associated risk factors that have a bearing on the development of tendinopathy are listed in Box 1. Three theories postulating the causes of tendinopathy are ischemic influences, matrix degrading phenomenon, and toxic changes (Gold & Igra, 2003).

Summary

Apoptotic changes seen in tendon cells influenced by fluoroquinolone are compacted material in the cell nucleus, apoptotic bodies and bleb formation of the cell membrane, and edematous cellular organelles.

The matrix-degrading proteolytic interface and cellular changes are believed to initiate apoptosis, tendon cell death--the final pathway and pathogenesis of fluoroquinolone-induced tendinopathy (Gold & Igra, 2003; Sendzik et al., 2005).

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement