LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has Anyone Overcome Neuro Symptoms w/o IVs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has Anyone Overcome Neuro Symptoms w/o IVs?
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been diagnosed by my LLMD as late stage chronic neuro Lyme with co-infections (Babs, Ehrlichia). Hence - most of my symptoms are neuro.

My next session with LLMD will be to discuss oral antibiotics or IV. If we do the IV, my regular MD would need to order it so insurance covers (he has done this once already).

If anyone has overcome neuro (i.e. dull pain, achiness on all sides of head and forhead, dizziness, tingling on side of face) with orals alone, I would greatly value your sharing.

Personally I would prefer IVs, but would like to be prepared for my next LLMD visit. Much thanks.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MorningSong,

I am also a late stage chronic neuro lyme person with co-infections.

I have overcome many neuro symptoms with just oral abx. I was on a combo of meds and was treated for Babesia for nearly 3 years; and my Brain SPECT SCAN when from Moderate Global to Mild Global. My really bad headache days are in the past.

I responded really well to abx tho, not everyone does. I also did alternative stuff, I had all my mercury fillings out, did Vit C IV's and changed my diet.

I hope you see improvement soon.

--------------------
God Bless You! Everything..is just my opinion.

Posts: 6626 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DJP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still struggling to overcome them after oral and IV.
Deb

Posts: 441 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bev, did you actually get a MI doc to treat you that long? WOW.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Seekhelp,

No, I had to go to New York for a doctor. I had my SPECT SCAN done at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center.

--------------------
God Bless You! Everything..is just my opinion.

Posts: 6626 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for sharing. I dont feel so alone.

Beverly~
Thank you for sharing your success story. How very encouraging. Babesia is what the doctor wants to treat me for first.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I and my friends all got rid of our neuro symptoms and our lyme disease, babesiosis, and bartonella with orals only.

I had 2 UBOs (unidentified bright objects) on my brain scan and one episode of a "major CNS event" with gaps in my visual field, inability to talk, walk, move, or think.

I had trigeminal neuralgia, major unrelieved dental pain, 3 1/2 years of bilateral facial drooping, lots of headaches and neck pains, extreme muscle weakness (which is neurological in origin), memory loss, derealization, word block, feeling of being stabbed with thousands of pins, feeling of moving patches of sunburn all over my body, sound sensitivity, dry eye and dry mouth, etc. etc.

It all went away with Burrascano type treatment--high-dose combination antibiotics.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I treated for a full year with orals before switching to IV. My labs were positive for B.microti, B.duncani, Anaplasmosis and Lyme, SPECT indicative of neuro-lyme, Fry's "rare coccobaccili" and Sx/relapsing pattern of BLO.

My oral ABX and 1st round of IV Rocephin left me relapsing. One month of Levaquin seemed very helpful initially, however I believe that we should have still been addressing Lyme at that time because I developed MS symptoms of Optic Neuritis and Uhthoff's phenomenon.

My second round of Rocephin, after determining that the ON was caused by Lyme and not Levaquin, was done in combo with Biaxin. I also did Zhang's Artemesiae & Circulation P and periodically some of his other herbs during that time.

I believe that it took about 2 months before I started realizing improvement.

Biaxin (4 mos) & Rocephin (added after 1 mo. for 3 mos total, seemed to alleviate my MS symptoms. For the last 5 days I stopped the Biaxin & did Flagyl to address cysts.

Babs flared again during that Tx and I had to launch a full-out assault on that because I'd treated it several times early on.

I followed the Biaxin/Rocephin>Flagyl with Bactrim DS for 1 month and then did IV Clindamycin, IV Azithromycin and Mepron with pulses of Flagyl and Artemesiae (Zhang's).

Since I was still having BLO Sx we followed with Mino/Rifampin and have just added Levaquin in again after about 4 months.

I believe that I am still seeing cyclical improvement and trying to balance detox with Tx.

I don't believe that I would be functioning right now if it weren't for the IV.

[hi]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so far i have only seen improvement on iv - a similar regimen as ali g uses. unfortunately the progress "only" lasted for a year.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ebbakarin
Member # 16362

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ebbakarin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had severe neuro problems that progressed from not so bad to very very bad in the course of three months before treatment. 5 months of IV rocephin (with a few other things) was enough for me to get to the point where I would be stable enough continuing on just orals.

While I think I would have gotten to where I am now with only orals, as I understand it I got there much faster with the IV.

Good luck!

Posts: 36 | From Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beat it with orals only. Have been off abx more than 4 1/2 years now and have my life back. I personally feel IV should be of last resort - why put yourself through that when it may not be necessary? But that's just my opinion.

The key is getting rid of the coinfections. (Babesia particularly tough to treat). And treating fungi, parasites, detoxing and rebalancing your minerals. And changing your life so you don't end up in the same mess again. Antibiotics alone will not get you completely over this, but for most a necessary step.

Hang in there - people do get better. Don't let the label 'chronic, late stage, stage number whatever bum you out - it's just a label.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2257 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julie -
Thanks for your encouraging reply! I am glad you are better. Can I ask how long you had Lyme before diagnosis, and also what cos you had? Thanks so much.

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and of course, julie: which abx-regimen did you use?
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, but it took years!

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tx with doxy from 9/08 - 2/09 with neruo worsening, cardio worse.

started iv rocphin 2/09 still on it. tx babs x4 mo and not sure if babs really ever a player ?

into 2mo of tx for bart and HAVE seen diff. symtoms flared first few wks, foot pain got lots worse before better.

neruo and cardio improving on iv rocphin. for me, is working. slow, steady.

IV's cross blood-brain barrier better, that is fact. high doses of doxy did not work as well as IV rocphin for me.

i still have deficeits, and headaches is still ongoing. LLMD at a loss for how to help the pain from headaches. i just try to visualize "bug zapper" brain when it happens. i basically get to run around with meningitis, inflammation. but it due to killing off Bb, and toxins.

am on the usual supps, and LLMD adds others for neruo.

on zyflamend, will try to see if something cheaper avail for inflammation, that one supp. is over $50 /mo.

best wishes, but with my medical knowledge worked into lyme world- am firm believer in IV meds, one thing the science is there on. IV good for infections where you need good blood-brain saturation.

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Lyme for more than 10 years when dxd. I also had Bartonella.

I was on Rifampin and Flagyl for about 9 months. I was weaned off (literally pill by pill) and switched to TOA free Cat's Claw and have remained on it ever since. November will be 5 years.

Just a reminder - Detox, Detox, Detox

And IV and IM Magnesium. Crucial (IMHO, but you can refer to the endless research Marnie has posted)

My story is under the Success Stories link under General.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2257 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing. In just beginning treatment, sometimes the mountain seems so big you just take a moment to cry, and then get back up again. It is encouraging to hear that neuro can be overcome with IV or oral. I thank you so much for sharing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement