LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » GRRR! Gaining Weight!? Could I be swelling?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GRRR! Gaining Weight!? Could I be swelling?
hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 8 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gained 3 pounds in the past week or less. Actually seems to have been a pound a day for the past 3 days! I'm so frustrated.

I also have brown blotches showing up on my face - above my upper lip and on my cheeks. Kinda looks like melasma - like from pregnancy. NOT PREGNANT.

Could I be swelling? What's going on!?!

All ideas and input welcome. I'm perplexed.

OH, PS. I should include my treatment. I started about 6 weeks ago. I'm on Doxy, Zithro, Art, and therelac as probiotic.

THANK YOU! [loco]

--------------------
Sofi

Posts: 150 | From Northern California | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any thoughts at all??

--------------------
Sofi

Posts: 150 | From Northern California | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sofia, I understand your frustration. I've been gaining a lot of weight lately too. It seems like there must be multiple factors contributing to it because I can't pinpoint the cause. Careful diet, exercise, etc... not working.

Give your doctor a call and let them know what's been going on. The brown patches might be a side effect of one of your medications or they might be caused by a hormone imbalance.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are having a problem with it. Many of us feel your pain.

Lots of discussions in the past. This is only from this year - there have been many in the past if you want to search the archives.

What is the cause of this weight gain?
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/83310?

Weight gain
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/81829?

How many of you have gained weight?
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/81840?

Possible cause of weight gain & edema Lyme associated.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/81081?

Update: Hungry all the time, gaining wt, need advice
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/81068?

INTEGRALEAN for weight loss
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/80894?

Gastric Bypass
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/74928?

how do you loose weight?
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/74955?

Anyone successful with weight loss?
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/78156?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is by no means complete. Here is the beginning of a list for possible causes of weight gain for those of us with lyme disease and co-infections. At some point I'll get together a list of possible solutions. Frankly, I've found nothing that works for me.

Toxins

Inflammation

Medication side effects

Hormone dysregulation
Thyroid
Female hormones
adrenal
leptin (increased due to inflammation/leptin resistnace)

Sleep apnea

Blood sugar issues

Requirements of medications - adding fat for absorption - like for mepron

Candida (common with abx but even without)

Reduced activity levels (fatigue, pain, exercise intolerance etc.)

Food allergies (can cause inflammation and edema)

Body PH might be an issue (still researching this angle)

Increased food intake (depression, anxiety, boredom, hormonal dysruption causing increased appetite)

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
terry thanks for all the links, and your last list of symptoms; i found 8 that pertain to me.

my lbs. have REARRANGED themselves, all going to the lower part of my gut, and my keyboard is hitting that area now; just in the last 1-2 months as i wore clothes earlier but can't now! good grief charlie brown ... uffda.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hope4sofia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hope4sofia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your help. I'm so discouraged. I've gained 23 pounds over the past two years. UGH!! I have made valiant efforts but can't seem to stop the wt gain or lose the wt. But the recent wt gain has gone on so fast. I just feel like it's more than normal.

Thanks again

--------------------
Sofi

TerryK
Member # 8552

Sorry Betty and Sofi - I know it is discouraging. keebler's advice of not focusing too much on weight and focusing more on health is good.

Still, it is important to keep trying until you hopefully find a way to stop the gain. Wish I could say I've had success. I keep trying.

This is partly how lyme and/or mold toxins/inflammation cause weight gain.

http://www.biotoxin.info/biochemistry
Stage 2: Cytokine Effects
The activated fat cells start to produce more leptin, which leads to weight gain that is unresponsive to diet or exercise.

Remember that the fat cells are also pumping out cytokines, this overload starts to block or damage the leptin receptors in the hypothalamus.

Elevated cytokines can produce many different symptoms including: headache, muscle ache, unstable temperature, and difficulty concentrating.

High levels of cytokines can also result in increased levels of immune related markers such as TNF, MMP-9, IL-1B, and PAI-1.

MMP-9 delivers inflammatory elements from the blood into sensitive tissues and can combine with PAI-1 to increase clot formation and arterial blockage.
--------------------------------------------------

So, binding biotoxins could help. Also, trying to lower leptin. I've been taking a product that is supposed to help called larix 1000. So far no weight loss. I think I'll try what larkspur mentions in her info. It is a nutrimedix product called Vermella.

Worth a try. If it works, I'll be sure to post about it on lymenet.

I've heard some say that FIR sauna made a difference in weight and health. I've read that some say they turned the corner in their health with the use of FIR sauna. I'm looking for a used non-toxic FIR sauna and plan to incorporate that into my health plan.

Terry

squashlyme
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squashlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brown around the mouth could be a sign of liver toxicity. Have you had your liver enzymes checked recently?
Posts: 48 | From nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same issues, and finally am seeing the weight leave...only after detox.

Found there is a relationship with a poor gut absorption and these lyme and co- illnesses.

Start working on cleaning, healing the gut, and eliminating parasites now...while doing you abx. And moving your body, to walk at least.

I only did a small part of this, and was not absorbing my nutrients or supplements properly. Now I know and will tell others, that this is a vey important step that is not addressed by most LLMD's.

I tested negetive for parasites originally, and now find that I was full of them! Also, the abx gave my body an imbalance of candida and yeast.

so I now find that the majority of my symptoms were not necessarily from lyme, as my lyme is now in remission, but my symptoms all eminate from the gut (whee our immune system is) and are mostly from toxic depris, die off, parasites, heavy metals and candida/yeast!

These do not always show up on the tests! But as soon as you start a natural protocol for releasing them, you see the results!

I recommend adding a good ND along with your LLMD! The people I Know who are better have eventually done this! Go to someone who understand leaky gut and healng the gut, along with killing lyme!

Start to work on these and you will not accumulate unnecessary weight during treatment. And your brain fog will leave, and you will finally get y our energy back!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendihk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in the hospital with pneumonia they had me on IV antibiotics. I was currently not being treated for Lyme.

After about three days on the IV I noticed my stomach and legs had blown up like balloons. I was only 109 lbs and 5'9" so it was quite noticeable.

When I pointed it out to the nurse she blaimed it on being in bed and my muscles "going soft". Not in three days honey!

I thought about it afterwards and I think that it was from the Lyme die off reacting to the IV abx.

So, I firmly believing in swelling being a part of the process. I would try to exercise and at least walk to control it, plus drink lots of water.

Posts: 114 | From New York | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement