LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is it okay if there is an air pocket in my *subcuteneous* (sorry) b-12 shot?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it okay if there is an air pocket in my *subcuteneous* (sorry) b-12 shot?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are pre-filled syringes that I do in the upper-outer quadrant of the buttock.

There is a pretty decent sized air bubble in there....more like an air pocket.

Is that okay to inject into my muscle? The air?

I know this isn't my bloodstream, but I still want to make sure this is okay, that the air has somewhere to go, etc.

I'd like to do the shot soon, because I already had to switch out the needle once because the first one was clogged and wouldn't push....I just need some input.

Thanks!

[ 07-21-2009, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Hoosiers51 ]

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers51, I suggest calling a pharmacist. He/she should know if it is safe. Let us know what you find out.
Posts: 4680 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ps---I tried flicking the bubble to the top, and squirting some out, but I was just loosing liquid, and the bubble was staying in the syringe.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good idea. I figured the compounding pharmacy would be closed, but I should call a regular pharmacy.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Pharmacist said try again to get the bubble out, so I did, and it FINALLY squirted out, but unfortunately I lost at least half the shot [Frown] Oh well....thanks.

I paid for these out of pocket b/c they are preservative free....wonder if I should ask for a refund? haha i am so cheap.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd take it in and ask for them to fill it the rest of the way up.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hoosiers51:
I tried flicking the bubble to the top, and squirting some out, but I was just losing liquid, and the bubble was staying in the syringe.

Remove the needle cover, being careful not to stab yourself.

Hold the syringe with the needle upright.

You need to flick the syringe VERY firmly and repeatedly, to dislodge the bubble so that it will rise to the top.

Gently push the plunger, so that the air is pushed out of the syringe and through the needle.

Hope this helps.
Carol

Posts: 6945 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that stuff is thick and requires repeated flicks to get air out.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when giving IM injection, esp with staining meds (B-12) the air-bubble in the needle is there by the manufacturer as a "lock"

when you inject, do so at 90 degree angle, pull back slightly on plunger to make sure no blood comes back into needle. then proceed with injection. go slowly about 1ml/ per second. do NOT massage the area. the air bubble helps to ensure med goes and stays in muscle and does not seep into fatty tissues/ or out injection site.

above is info. you should have been taught by RN or MD for self injections. If you have not had formal teaching on proper injection tech. PLEASE arrage that before doing so at home !!!!!!

your MD can order home health even for injection techniques. Or even have MD office nurse teach you and you should be given written instuctions for reference

Also knowing proper muscles to use and landmarks is essential

I hope you were not given shots without instruction on how to preform self injections !!

scary thought, and have taught many pts over the
years on injection tech/IV/etc. and leaving written material is important.

hope that helps. can google..nursing tech for IM injections using air lock...??

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

I was taught how to do my bicillin injections (or rather, someone in my home does them), and we need to aspirate the needle, so I do know about that process.

However, the B12 needle is much smaller, and they never told me to worry about aspirating. I guess I will have to ask. There is a sticker on the package that says, "Inject at a 45 degree angle."

Whereas my bicillin (which is a deep IM shot) does have to go in at a 90 degree angle. So my guess is that maybe this B12 is just a whole different procedure.

Also, the pharmacist told me that the large air pocket IS a problem, and not to inject it. (none of the other shots had that that I've ever seen)

So I finally did flick it VERY HARD, and it came out. Carol was right, you really can't be bashful with the flicking. So then I injected it just fine.

But just so everyone knows, according to my pharmacist, a very large bubble in the B12 subcutaneous injections is not okay!!!!

Also, maybe that's why the procedure is different...I don't believe this is IM, because it is labelled as subcutaneous (aka under the skin).

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Haha, I just realized in the subject line I put "IM"...so that is probably where the confusion is coming from. Sorry!!!!! That was my fault. I don't think this is considered an IM shot, but rather a subcutaneous one.

That must be WHY it says, "inject at 45 degree angle"...because they don't want it that deep! Now it's becoming more clear to my little lyme brain, haha.

I will change the subject line so people don't think the beginning applies to an IM shot.

Because yes, my bicillin has air pockets, and supposedly that's okay. The only reason it alarmed me in the B12 is because I had never seen air in any of those for the months I've been using them.

Sorry, MY3BOYS, I probably scared you. I think the reason I assumed it was IM was because the location they told me to use was the same, probably because my limbs, etc aren't very meaty.

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of it subcue. I do mine IM.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to inject testosterone when I was juicing up to join MLB, uh I mean when i had low testosterone levels. That stuff is like glue so it was even tougher than the B12. Sometimes you might have to turn the syringe completely sideways and flick it to get the bubble to even move. But keep playing with it until the bubble is right under the needle and you won't waste any when you press the bubble out.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did B-12 Sub-Q...no problems. Generally, it's a good idea to aspirate everything. It's very difficult to put it in a vein, but I have put it through a vein and out the other side once and that leaves a nasty bruise.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kylasrain
Member # 12031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylasrain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done B12 IM and subcutaneous. Either way, a little air is fine. No big deal. And I never pull back to check for blood...kinda pointless since the serum is red! Pulling back hurts more and causes more damage than actually hitting a vein for me!

Just my two-cents,

Good luck!

--------------------
http://kylahikeson.blogspot.com

Posts: 97 | From CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement