LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do you know when to stop treating a child for Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know when to stop treating a child for Lyme?
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 4 year old son has been taking antibiotics for a little over 7 months. He wasn't really sick when he started treatment. We just had a few concerns and a positive test so we wanted to be proactive about it.

I have a phone consult with his doctor tomorrow. I don't really know what to discuss since I don't really think he has any problems. He does still have a speech delay but it's getting better and better (he is in therapy for it).

Other than that he seems like a normal kid. He sleeps well, never seems overly tired, eats good, doesn't seems like he hurts or anything... I don't know. It's hard to tell with a 4 year old. I'm scared to stop. I figure we'll probably do at least a few more months.

With a child how long does treatment usually take? Is it possible to get all the way better? I'm scared that he is always going to have this.

Thanks for reading this. Any opinions or advice is welcomed!

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask the LLMD what he looks for in children before he stops treating.

Since he is doing speech therapy, you can't really tell how much of his speech improvement is from his Lyme treatment and not the therapy.

What were your concerns that led you to treat? How have they changed?

If you stop the treatment, just watch for things to get worse or new symptoms.

I think that is all you can do.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He didn't really display many symptoms. Mostly just the speech delay. Also his ears would sometimes turn red. I read that that was a symptom. They haven't done that since treatment. And one time when he was on anbiotics (before we knew about Lyme) he had a weird reaction to it (which later we figured was probably a herx).

Other than that he really didn't have any symptoms. I just wanted to nip and in the bud before it got bad.

Thanks for your response. :-)

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is controversial, but I wouldn't have a 4 year-old who is not ill, on antibiotics for any longer. Sometimes people can test positive, but their immune system has handled the infection, at least for a good long time. I also don't believe it is possible to get every last bug.

The speech delay may not even be related to Lyme, and it is getting better with therapy, so see if continued therapy without meds, continues that progress.

I don't know if this is helpful, but one of our daughters had a very positive test, and some minor symptoms (such as a feeling that she had something in her eye all the time, one episode of swelling in her elbow, that's about it). She seemed fine after one month of amoxicillin, but when we stopped the abx, the eye thing returned in a week. She did 3 more months of tetracycline (your son is too young for this of course), and she has been fine for 9 years now. Virtually never sick, in fact. She's 17 now.

I really don't know if any of us- or anyone for that matter- can ever achieve a perfect feeling of safety with this.

You also need to balance out the harm done by abx, especially to the gut. Other members of our family, including me, did longer periods on abx and have had some long-term problems from them.

If your son is not sick, stop the meds. If he gets sick or even has a problem that is seemingly minor but bothers him a lot (my youngest just was driven crazy by that feeling in her eye), then he can do meds again.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement