LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Diagnosis X" on Discovery Health

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Diagnosis X" on Discovery Health
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was on tonight. It's a re-enactment medical show. The patient went to the emergency

room, with fever, eye pain, and leg weakness. After she said she was in Connecticut three

months ago, the doctor rules out "Lymes" because she doesn't recall a tick bite or rash. He does

an MRI, sees lesions, and diagnoses her with MS. Then, she goes downhill after getting

steroids, so he questions the MS diagnosis. He then diagnoses her with syphilis, but then

realizes she can't have that after her husband tests negative. So then he goes against the

rules and does a test he's not allowed to do, to test directly for the Lyme bacteria. She tests

positive for this, and he is a hero, especially since "Lymes" is so easy to treat and can be

easily "cured."

Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully some good will come out of this program.

Thanks for posting.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Lymes"....I just go [loco] when I hear that...

[toilet] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 968 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know they could "rule out" Lyme based on patients report of a tick bite, or lack of. That's crazy.
Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I saw it the other day.

They've had a good one on before ( with our beloved member Wild Condor ) and called it LYME then.

This one drove me nuts with their LYMES thing.

Hey, what test were they talking about that they used?? I had never heard of it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95326 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ZachE84
Member # 21442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZachE84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it also and was wondering what test directly checks for the bacteria instead of the antibodies. The show didn't make sense in response to all I've read about Lyme disease.
Posts: 4 | From MD | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and the test was very "expensive" they said. I taped the show .. so may have to go back and see what they called it.

I was hoping someone here would remember.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95326 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get mad every time I see that episode. He says it like she should be glad it is only Lyme.

Also says it is not debilitating or progressive. I wonder how that woman is doing now...anyone know?

That episode should be yanked! BTW, it was a BAC test or BAT test.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Tiramisu:

That episode should be yanked! BTW, it was a BAC test or BAT test.

Yes, that was it! I think it sounded like "BAT" but who knows?

yeah, they acted like she would be just fine and dandy now.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow...

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a load of malarkey (the show episode being discussed, I mean).

Also, this show was likely referring the Borreliacidal Antibody Test, or BAT.

"Ability of the Borreliacidal Antibody Test To Confirm Lyme Disease in Clinical Practice"

http://cvi.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/9/4/908

"Highly specific borreliacidal antibodies are induced by infection with Borrelia burgdorferi, and a borreliacidal antibody test (BAT) may be an accurate laboratory procedure for confirming Lyme disease in clinical practice. To investigate this, 34 Lyme disease sera and 34 sera from patients with other illnesses who had presented to a primary-care facility located in an area of borreliosis endemicity were tested by the BAT and Western blotting (WB).

The BAT was more sensitive (79% versus 65%; P = 0.090), especially in cases in which patients had a single erythema migrans lesion (P = 0.021). In addition, the potentially cross-reactive sera were negative by the BAT but WB yielded three (9%) false-positive results.

The results from 104 sera from possible Lyme disease patients demonstrated the clinical usefulness of the more sensitive and specific BAT. The BAT was positive for 40 (38%) sera from patients with Lyme disease-related symptoms and appropriate clinical and epidemiological findings.

WB confirmed Lyme disease in 30 (75%) of the 40 BAT-positive patients but failed to detect B. burgdorferi infection in 10 BAT-positive patients. WB was also positive for 11 BAT-negative sera, but six (55%) patients had case histories which suggested that the results were false positives.

Collectively, the results confirm that the BAT is a sensitive and highly specific test and suggest that widespread use would increase the accuracy of serodiagnostic confirmation of Lyme disease."

Personally, I highly doubt it's very good, or that much better than a WB, if we haven't been hearing about it for this long.

This study is pretty meaningless to me, since they didn't test against DNA-positive cases, and NO controls. They just tested *possible Lyme patients*, and then "patients with other illnesses" (were they screened via PCR for possible missed Lyme? No.). I mean, what kind of a study IS that? Kinda pointless, IMHO.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and the BAT is not a direct Lyme test.

It is just another antibody test, like the WB or ELISA, so still subject to all of the same weak points of Lyme antibody testing.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement