LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and existing arthritis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and existing arthritis
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can Lyme severly aggrivate existing arthritis?

I have arthritis in a few places, and one place in particular is hurting like it never hurt before.

Just wondering if there might be a link.

Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think so. Are you postive for lyme?
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme itself can cause a type of what seems to be "arthritis" they call "lyme arthritis." So, that would be more arthritis-type pain on top of what you already have.

There is a lot of arthritis type pain associated with lyme disease.

From the Burrascano guidelines, list of symptoms (p. 9):

Joint pain--fingers, toes, ankles, wrists, knees, elbows, hips, shoulders

Unexplained back pain

Stiffness of the joints or back

Joint swelling (same list of joints)

Neck creaks and cracks, stiffness, neck pain

Here is the link:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the good news is that abx supposedly help existing arthritis as well as lyme arthritis....

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infections cause arthritis and you may have had lyme lurking for much longer than you are aware. The deer tick is so small, it can bite, drink and drop off you without you ever knowing it was there.

Some other bugs well known for causing arthritis are mycoplasma, chlamydia p, H. Pylori, Babesia, EBV, HHV-6.

I am sure there are more. These guys were all in me and some still are. We are knocking them out one by one.

You might want to read "The Infection Connection" by Katherine Poehlmann, PH.D.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmbl
Member # 20642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've dealt with arthritis for quite some time. Though, the symptoms started after my first go-around with Lyme more than 10 years ago. But then I was diagnosed with Lupus and RA and have been dealing with arthritis pain since. With my recent Lyme blood work, I have a new strand prob got bit again within the past 2 years. YES, for me, the Lyme has severely aggravated my exsisting arthritis. It's much worse and no longer simply in my knees and large joints, it's horribly affected my hands and feet as well.
Posts: 40 | From NJ | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmbl,

Since your symptoms began after the first tickbite, what makes you think any of your arthritis is other than infectious in nature?

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmbl
Member # 20642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
luvs2ride, I have some consistent Lupus patterned blood work and a pretty dominant butterfly rash. I also have other issues that are very common in Lupus, and auto-immune diseases run in my family, including Graves (which I have) and others.

I have debated back and forth whether or not my Lymes was ever properly treated and that would put the Lupus questionable. Really, I have gone back and forth with so many theories, I just want to finally be treated well and in all honesty, I don't care what I have so long as it can be treated.

Posts: 40 | From NJ | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snailhead...Yes I tested positive recently. I've had arthritis in my hips, lower back, and right knee for years due to what is beleived to be compensating for Erb's palsy all my life.

I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia about a year ago but since I wasn't tested for lyme's at the time I'm starting to question the diagnosis.

Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease causes fibromyalgia, so when you treat lyme disease, you should expect your fibro will go away.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement