LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bad Jaundice....on Alinia and Malarone....ideas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad Jaundice....on Alinia and Malarone....ideas?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday I noticed my skin was looking yellow-ish, in the face, but I didn't think too much of it. Then Saturday we noticed the whites of my eyes were a pale yellow.

Alinia does cause the urine to become a bright yellow. In the side effects it says yellowing of the eyes can happen, and another site listed jaundice, but they were both listed as less than 1% occurance, while the discoloration of the urine is very common.

I'm also on Malarone though, and that can cause jaundice too, less than 1% occurance.

So I'm thinking it is probably jaundice since my skin is looking yellow in addition to the eyes. Unless Alinia causes discoloration of both, but not technical jaundice.

Anyways, I haven't been able to get a hold of my LLMD over the weekend, and they don't have an emergency line that I know of. So on Saturday night I didn't take my Alinia or my Malarone.

Today (Sunday) the jaundice is about the same, so I'm thinking I shouldn't take any Alinia or Malarone today or tonight at all? I hate to stop these meds without talking to my doctor because I'm worried about resistance.

Does anyone have thoughts on which drug is causing this? I did Mepron for 4 months on one stretch, and I do remember noticing that at one point towards the end, my face was looking a little yellow, but I saw my LLMD and he said he couldn't tell.

The other two times I did Mepron for 3 months I didn't get this. I'm about 4 months into my Malarone right now I'd say, 4 pills per day. About a month into the Alinia. I'm on two other oral antibiotics that are not hard on the liver (one is Zith...that's not hard on liver, right?), plus Bicillin. Also on natural Progesterone, but that's it as far as all prescriptions....no sleeping pills, etc.

The past few days I've been taking a lot of Ibuprofen (4 pills at a time, 12 total per day) but it doesn't interact with any of my drugs.

The only other thing I'm wondering about is that I just moved into a new apartment, and there is definitely a VOC-type smell, like something is off-gassing. Maybe either paint or carpet. But it is only noticable downstairs, and I was sleeping upstairs with the windows open. The smell isn't "that" bad though...definitely not super new.

But I was wondering if any chemicals in the air in my new place could have sent my liver over the top (because I seem to be very sensitive to smells...they drive me nuts)?

I'm thinking not, and it's probably one of my drugs, but I thought I'd bring it up in case anyone has heard of jaundice happening from being around off-gassing building materials?

Thanks for any insight and suggestions.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking any Milk Thistle or NAC to help protect your liver?
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly if I thought I was jaundice I would go to the ER. I know hospitals are not very fun but the liver is important.

I am sorry I can't really help you on which prescription is causing it but I wouldnt wait to get it addressed. (also dont forget some supplements can be hard on the liver too).

I hope you get it addressed and get some answers.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hoosiers51. While the jaundice may be from the meds, I believe that Babesiosis can cause it also. I had it the first time I treated it.

Definitely let your doctor know.

Posts: 4678 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk Thistle interacts with Malarone, but I was on something else with artichoke for my liver. But since I've stopped the Malarone last night, I've been taking Milk Thistle.

I thought about going to the ER, but I think I'm going to wait until I hear back from my doctor on Monday. I don't think the ER will be able to do much except tell me to stop taking the drugs?

Sammi, YES, I forgot to mention that....I also was wondering if it could be the babesia acting up. My LLMD told me to stop my artemisia, and since then, I've felt like I've had babesia symptoms flaring, like loosing my appetite to a degree, and some sweating at night.

But, that could be a babesia "herx" too....

That is interesting you had jaundice while treating babesia. And you think it was a babesia flare during the process of treating it, or just all the die off causing the liver problems? As opposed to med side effects. At what point in the treatment did you get the jaundice?

I have only been on Alinia a month, so I've also been wondering if this could be a "healing crisis"...aka, herx.

Because even though I'm really tired, I've been having moments where I do feel like maybe the Alinia is clearing up my brain or something.

So many possibilites here of what could be happening.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I had to take breaks from mepron I tried to take artemesinin or cryptolepsis or whatever I had on hand. It's not known what effect crpyto would have on liver, though, and I had to take breaks for reasons other than liver concerns. I think artemesinin does mess up the liver sometimes.

sorry to not have better answers for you. I did take breaks for a week or so at a time a few timess, without having the herb or artemesinin available, and I still ended up getting better, so I obviously didn't develop resistance in the process.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks Maria...I see what you're saying....to just take something else in the process.

I'm thinking probably not artemisia/artemisinin though, because like you said, it's hard on the liver. The reason my LLMD had had me stop it a few weeks ago was actually just because he thought I'm too unhealthy in general to be on a pro-oxidizer. (but that confuses me, because I thought Malarone does that too?)

But that is good to know that you didn't seem to have resistance issues with starting and stopping the drugs.

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, I'm really sorry you're still sick with the symptoms. It sounds like you've had quite a lot of stress during that time, I'm not a big believer in the 'stress makes us sick' stuff but maybe that's one of our differences. I didn't kick the last of the symtpoms till I added Alinia and did several courses of it over a few months.

I'm pretty sure that many people in Lyme-land have had to take breaks from Mepron because of cost or side effects, and ended up getting rid of babesia anyway, so while we should be careful about resistance, it doesn't seem like it automatically happens from that kind of pulsing.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I PM'd you. I personally think you should call the emergency number.

http://digestive-disorders.health-cares.net/jaundice-causes.php

Have you had your liver enzymes taken recently?

Terry

Posts: 6281 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby took Alinia for 8 months -- 4 months at half dose and 4 months at full dose. Instead of making his liver enzymes go high one of them went low -- stayed that way the entire time he was on that med and returned to normal within a couple of weeks of stopping the Alinia.

For several years now hubby has had his LLMD write standing orders for bloodwork -- CBC, CMP and UA -- so that he can do his bloodwork when he wants to. He gets it done at the hospital out-patient lab every 2 or 3 weeks depending on his meds and how he is feeling. You might want to consider this for future reference.

He picks up copies of his results himself from the lab the same day with an I.D. -- they won't give them to me. The lab faxes his results to his LLMD. If anything looks really strange to us then we either call or fax his LLMD also.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers51, definitely call your doctor tomorrow and see what he/she says.

I was jaundiced when I was extremely sick and first treating Babesiosis. I had someone tell me months into treatment that I didn't look so yellow!

It really can be difficult to tell why things happen (herx, from the meds working, from the meds not working etc.).

I hope this resolves for you soon.

Posts: 4678 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers,

Alinia made the whites of my eyes turn yellow. It was NOT jaundice. I had my liver enzymes checked frequently, which I do always, because I had liver damage from Ketek in 2005.

My liver enzymes were fine on Alinia. I had to go off Alinia for other reasons (stomach problems from Malarone) and it has taken quite a while for the yellow to leave my eyes.

Definitely have your liver enzymes checked. But also, don't panic. I know of one other Lyme patient whose eyes turned yellow on Alinia. It is listed as a possible side effect of Alinia (Alinia makes the urine turn a brighter yellow so it's kind of like Rifampin in that it can affect bodily fluids, etc).

My skin also took on a more yellow appearance on Alinia (I am Snow White fair-skinned).

So again, don't panic, but get your liver enzymes checked ASAP just to be sure.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement