LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to eat with doxy to keep from feeling queasy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to eat with doxy to keep from feeling queasy?
LaurenTurner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenTurner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ate fruit, cottage cheese, and an egg with it this morning but still feel sick. What should I eat to keep from feeling so queasy?

TIA!

Posts: 248 | From Tejas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy is tough on the gut!

I take my doxy with a large meal, and no dairy with it. I don't feel queasy much, but it does hurt my stomach a great deal.

I had to start taking prilosec for my stomach and esophagus, but it has to be taken hours away from the doxy as do diary products.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always needed carbs or whole wheat. Like Cheerios, bread, or other carb side dishes. If I didn't eat enough of it I would throw up [Frown] I tried to eat soup once and I threw up. It had to be solid food.

I am off of that now after 10 months. It's rough on the stomach! Best of luck.

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Doxy too, and it is HARD on the stomach, isn't it?

I take it with as much food as possible, preferably with a meal. Then I follow everything with a full glass of water.

It can also cause heartburn. Don't lie down within at least a half hour after taking it. If heartburn is still a problem, consider asking your doctor about prescribing a PPI. Unlike antacids, they don't interfere with the effectiveness of the Doxy.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take it with a meal, no dairy.

In the morning I try to eat something like toast and a banana (I rarely eat big breakfasts).

Most days that's enough, but I still get the odd morning where I could still puke it up.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
middlesizedpanda
Member # 20676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for middlesizedpanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use dairy free soya milk & soya spread so I can still have a cup of tea (or coffee) with 'milk' & some cereal or toast & 'butter'.

Doesn't quite taste as good as normal milk but I'm getting used to it.

I also find banana's work well too.

Posts: 69 | From UK | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lauren,

Cottage cheese is a no no with Doxy. You cannot eat dairy within a few hours of taking Doxy...it decreases the absorption.

I always ate a pretty large meal, like sandwich and apple and lots of water, chips...whatever sounded good at the time.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1619 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is recommended not to take dairy along with doxy!!! it can cause a serious burn in your esophagus.

and i would recommend to read the product info with doxy, or google it. it gives lots of important info about the side effects of this drug.

most importantly do not lie down within a half hour of taking it to avoid SERIOUS damage to your intestinal lining.

no sun at all, or you can get sunburned in minutes without turning red. (even in the car)

the others have given good info regarding taking doxy with a large meal - perhaps at lunch and at dinner. its really rough on the gut.

i would humbly suggest to be taking a high culture/high strain REFRIGERATED probiotic such as Megaflora by Megafoods, Renew LIfe Ultimate Flora, CRITICAL CARE, and NSI 15-35.

this will replace the good flora that the antibiotics is killing every day. replenish often! ( 2-3 times a day)

take probiotics alone at bedtime, and at least 2 hours away from supplements or abx for maximum benefit.

one last tip:

carbs and sugar can hasten a systemic yeast infection, which is very common among long term antibiotic users. most LLMD's recommend LOW SUGAR/LOW CARB diet as yeast can be almost as bad as lyme and co's.

good luck and keep us posted. [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 suggestions...

1. Take it after lunch rather than having to stuff a bunch of food down early in the day that you wouldn't normally eat. Be sure to take the doxy AFTER eating the food.. and not before or with the food.

2. Between your doses... just once.. take a child's dose of Pepto Bismol. It is normally NOT recommended because it could cause the doxy to not be 100 percent absorbed.. but one dose may be just the trick to calm the tummy for a while.

Be sure to drink the 8 oz of water after the dose of Pepto too... whatever it says on the label.

I have to do that trick 1-2 times a year maybe. Others have tried it. Works well, is simple and not expensive.

Go figure!

[lol]

3. Stand on the left side of a busy highway and turn around 3 times to the left before taking your doxy.

If that doesn't work, try steps 1 and 2 above.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20332 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement