LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rocky Mountain SPOTLESS Fever?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rocky Mountain SPOTLESS Fever?
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's what I said...a new one for me!
(otherwise known as erlichia...?)

Mystery illness in Franklin County boy from tick bite

Click here.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 828 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have it......

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes Ehrlichia does cause spots... but it is rare. I had spots with mine.

I sure wish they wouldn't have called it RM SPOTLESS Fever and not given it the actual name.

Glad they found the cause... and the boy is better.

2 died from this in Virginia in one year, several years ago, because it wasn't treated properly and quickly. I believe they were both college age students.

SO sad.

Thanks for posting this video. Glad the news reporters in VA are keeping up with tick borne diseases.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested positive for RMSF and I never had a spotted rash. I don't think I have Erlichia.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erlichia and RMSF are two different things, aren't they???

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95652 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymetoo, yes two different things. RM "spotless" fever is Ricketssia not ehrlichia.

5% of children with RMSF do not get the rash, spots, 10-15% of adults do not get the rash.

Tincup Ill try to find you an artlicle. Since it is actually RMSF makes sense to keep the name.

http://wiki.medpedia.com/Rocky_Mountain_Spotted_Fever

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1520791

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had RMSF and no spots!

Also, the CDC says there are no RMSF cases reported in NJ...they are wrong!

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News to me, to have Rocky Mountain spotless fever -

What's next? Rocky Outcrop Spotted Fever?

Posts: 13068 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erhlichia also has two forms.

HME and HGE

I have the HME type. So many of the symptoms are the same as lyme that is is really hard to distingish.

I am not sure if my fatigue is from the HME or the lyme, but, I would sure like it to go away!!

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I am sorry they called it Rocky Mountain Spotless fever. It makes it real confusing.

Yes, there are cases, quite a few, of RM Spotted Fever where folks just don't get the rash.

BUT...

The article that was posted states..

"Rocky Mountain Spotless fever is also known as Ehrlichiosis click here for more about it from the Centers for Disease Control."

So I believe they are talking about Ehrlichiosis... which IS a rickettsial parasite ... kinda like a cousin to the true RM Spotted Fever.

And yes.. there is/was an HME and HGE. But...

Then we have anaplasmosis.

You see, they have renamed the diseases to make it more confusing.

[Big Grin]

For example...

Human granulocytic anaplasmosis (HGA) was previously known as human granulocytic ehrlichiosis (HGE). So technically there is no HGE anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaplasmosis

Soooooooooooo..

There is a true RMSF that, in some folks, will not cause a rash.

And...

Ehrlichiosis does cause a RM Spotted Fever LIKE rash in some people.

Then to compound the problems with identifying the diseases...

They are finding new species and strains.. some which have not even been named yet.

My solution to this mess is..

We need bubble gum machines on every street corner filled with doxy.

Each time you get a tick bite...

You put in a quarter and get a handful of doxy when you turn the knob.

Any of these diseases can (and have) killed people, especially children...

And all for the want of a handful of doxy, many lives could have been saved.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

Yes you are correct on this, here is another article about the boy.

Wow, I dont understand how the same name could be used for the rickettsia version and ehrlichiosis,
this is beyone confusing then.

Your solution is way too easy, the gumball doxy.

So first he had MRSA, then they thought it was toxic shock when actually the tick bite probably caused the MRSA? and no health insurance....!!!

http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/article.cfm?ID=14091

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

The article said.. ""They think he probably got the MRSA infection from the bite as well," she said."

GEEZE!

IDiots to the rescue!

And generally the thought is... let's NOT treat sick kids with a few weeks of antibiotics... because we may develop resistant strains to whatever it is he has, which we don't know what it is, but just in case..

GIVE ME A BREAK!

UGGGGG!!!!

Can you tell this child ABUSE upsets me?

HOW much are the medical bills for all that time in the hospital?

How much worry did the family and child have?

They should send the bills to the DUCKS that missed the SIMPLE diagnosis... and not bill the family at all!!!

UGGGGGGG!!!!

[Eek!]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Oh.. and Marsy...

Thanks for sharing the comments and the new article.

Wanted to say that before my head explodes.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all of you -- I thought I was in the dark. Now realizing that I am in the twilight, and more confused -- I'll reread all this information tomorrow!

Gee whiz. [bonk]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 828 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Feet:
[QB] Yes, that's what I said...a new one for me!
(otherwise known as erlichia...?)

MarsNY.. this is why I was asking for clarification. I thought they were two different diseases.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95652 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement